Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

How to set out your comics?
Sayomi at 10:17AM, Jan. 28, 2011
(offline)
So I hear people don't like reading lots of prologue, so I haven't planned any.
I also hear that people like easy-to-read, simple starting pages to get into first.
My newest comic is about two travellers, a dragon from Earth and a girl from Kiion, a planet far away.
They have just woken up and I can't think how to do the next page;
Time (e.g. breakfast, already up and travelling, etc.)
Arrangment of panels
Small comedic lines to slip in
Pretty much everything.

All the time this happens to me.
How do I chose what time, place and actions happen?
How do I entertain?
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:24PM
JustNoPoint at 10:54AM, Jan. 28, 2011
(online)
I don't know. In my experience a prologue isn't so bad ;-)

I have no idea what you got going for the story but I'd probably pick a spot in the middle of it and throw the readers in. You want to make your 1st few pages catch attention.

Or have it where someone is already trying to slay the dragon or get the alien girl.
Basically, if you are wanting to draw attention you don't want the mundane. That being said, if you know you'll keep working on this for a long time you can start with mundane as long as it steadily builds up to something over time. Something like this will be more apt of being picked up by readers later on down the road.

IMO it is more rewarding to get to read from a mundane start to the adventure it becomes later on.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:12PM
Beelzy at 11:35AM, Jan. 30, 2011
(offline)
It's because people don't like seeing a wall of text. I think the whole idea is that if you know a comic is going to contain pictures, what's the point of wasting it on a huge wall of text? Why not just write a story if that's the only way you're telling the story? If you need to do it in text, make it more dramatic and spread it over several pages…but don't spread it out for too long or else readers will catch on.

Perhaps explain/depict a bit of the relationship between the dragon and the girl. Is the dragon keeping the girl hostage, is he evil, or are they friends? If you don't want to tell us about that, is there a good reason for it?

Personally, I think it's a good idea to throw in some foreshadowing and some mystery so that readers will get curious and read on.
Pauca sed matura.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:16AM
JustNoPoint at 1:41PM, Jan. 30, 2011
(online)
When he/she said prologue I didn't think they meant the wall of text without imagery kind :P

If that's what you mean then yeah…. never start a comic with wall of text.

Though I always do my comics in a print comic nature. Meaning a cover, inside cover, then Pg 1

Inside covers I just throw some kind of extra in. If you wanted a wall of text I guess it could be a good place to put it. As long as you are NOT expecting ppl to HAVE to read it before they start reading your story.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:12PM
Beelzy at 6:14PM, Jan. 30, 2011
(offline)
Of course you can throw in an image and still have lots of text, but I tend to find having to look at the picture while reading a huge wall of text just to figure out what's going on is rather distracting. I would think the picture should speak for itself, and should reduce the amount of explaining that's required.
Pauca sed matura.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:16AM
Sayomi at 8:16AM, Jan. 31, 2011
(offline)
The girl and her dragon are best of friends, they wake up in a hotel sort of place.
The dragon is a friendly but sarcastic talking creature that sticks to the girl like glue. They are travelling the world in search of similar couples.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:24PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved