Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

How to start a comic that doesnt suck?
same at 2:59PM, June 25, 2010
(online)
So im trying to start a new comic. BUT! I'm at a loss when it comes to starting it. I don't want to fall into the “One day this guy wakes up and goes to school” scenario. So should i start the comic straight into the action and explain it via flashbacks/mono-logging or just start from the beginning? Some ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:21PM
TripleB at 3:47PM, June 25, 2010
(online)
It depends on the story really. Depending on how the story goes you'll start it a certain way. Go with whatever you feel is right.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:34PM
kyupol at 5:42PM, June 25, 2010
(offline)
read your non-fiction then make fiction out of it.
NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:27PM
Nako at 8:10PM, June 25, 2010
(online)
As said by Triple B, it depends on the story.

My suggestion? Try to think how you'll tend to start the story, then try to think an entirely different/absurd way of starting it. Maybe that can get you, um, started. =^_^=
Nya!
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:09PM
El Cid at 8:02AM, June 26, 2010
(online)
As has already been said, it depends on the story and what you want to do with it. You could have the story start off as a normal day and then gradually build into some kind of crisis point; or you could use the “picture frame” technique, where you start the story at the end, then go back and explain how they got to their current situation, and then show how they solve their problem; or you could even tell the whole story in reverse (show the final scene first, then the middle, then the beginning). But without giving us at least some idea as to what your story's about, what kind of tone you're trying to set, and all that good stuff, there's really no way to give you any useful suggestions. And if you don't know what story you're trying to tell yet, then you shouldn't even be worrying about plot structure at this point; you're getting way ahead of yourself.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:20PM
El Cid at 8:06AM, June 26, 2010
(online)
If you're having trouble with your script, one suggestion I know a lot of good writers use when brainstorming their plots is to think of how you want the story to end first, and then backtrack and fill in the blanks as to how it came to that conclusion. A lot of mystery writers use this technique.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:20PM
same at 4:05PM, June 27, 2010
(online)
Thanks everyone. Thats all really helpful. Time to get started.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:21PM
face_deleted at 12:57AM, June 29, 2010
(offline)
Looks like I got here a little late.
If you're writing a script for your comic, and you're using more or less a 1st act/2nd act/3rd act structure, go ahead and write the whole thing out, then go back and pretty much eliminate the whole first act. Chances are most of the stuff in your 1st act is set-up for the more important action of the story. But don't just delete it. Copy it and save it. This way, if there's any holes in your story that need to be filled with any information that was in the 1st act, you can take those bits from the 1st act and plug the holes. The fun part is figuring out how to do that without slowing down the story. By doing that you might also end up brainstorming some new material. And that's usually a good thing. This will of course entail some re-writing, but if you really want your comic to rock you'll be willing to put in that extra work. It'll pay off somehow. It almost always does. Good luck to ya!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:25PM
Ryuthehedgewolf at 9:16AM, July 1, 2010
(offline)
I found some really good advice a few years ago back when I started my main comic, Ryu's Krew. "Find what you enjoy, things that interest you, and make a comic featuring these elements". It wasn't exactly THOSE words. But that's essentially what it was.

Like, I'm interested in the future/sci-fi sort of things, so I put that as a major element in my story. I also really enjoy Greek Mythology, so I thought it'd be cool to somehow intertwine them.

If you do something to that extent, it really helps you in the long run. Before I even thought of this, it was just a crappy furry knock off of Crackdown (yes, the video game).

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:16PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved