Media Megaforum

Howl's Moving Castle
Tantz Aerine at 1:05PM, Nov. 30, 2006
(online)
I saw this the other day. While its art is really cool and everything, I have mixed feelings about the movie. Any others willing to share?

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:06PM
Mega Josh at 11:07PM, Nov. 30, 2006
(offline)
I only saw the last part of the movie. Of course it made no sense to me(IT WUZ T3H 3ND DUR:P) but it just seemed like one of those anime movies, y'know? I mean one of those anime movies that just touch you right there(heart). But then again I didn't see all of it, so I wouldn't really know. :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:58PM
Rich at 11:25PM, Nov. 30, 2006
(online)
It is a movie with endearing characters, beautiful animation, and a plot resembles swiss cheese.

At NO point do they every explain ANYTHING to you. Who the fuck are they fighting? What is this war going on for? And what is up with Howl turning into a monster? Nothing is explained, and as a result the movie suffers.

Take “Howl's Moving Castle” for what it is, Mizaki's last movie. Enjoy it because the same feeling will never be given to you again, but dislike the fact that it pales in comparison to the epic “Princess Mononoke” and the lovable “Spirited Away”.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:07PM
Hawk at 12:47AM, Dec. 1, 2006
(online)
Yeah, Howl wasn't Miyazaki's most solid movie, but it's certainly not because of any deficiency of art or animation… or imagination. Rich is right about the plot, and maybe the blame can be passed to the source material.

But it would be very little blame to pass. Howl's Moving Castle is still and excellent movie.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:45PM
Tantz Aerine at 3:58AM, Dec. 1, 2006
(online)
I think I will agree. To be honest, I was wondering if I had missed something in the explanation of the plot. The animation and the characters are good enough to watch the movie, indeed. I filled in the gaps on my own. But perhaps I was a little disappointed because I expected something like ‘Spirited Away’ and I only got about 60% of that quality.

Still, it was not two hours or so down the drain. :)

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:06PM
Mazoo at 7:57AM, Dec. 1, 2006
(offline)
I've never seen it, but my friend has and she absolutely loved it.

So the plot isn't so great, eh? Well, as Tantz said she did, she just filled in the holes, and it didn't completely take you away from the movie. Maybe they were trying to make it mysterious and write it so you have to make some judgement calls about what happens. Of course, they could have gone a little overboard with it. I don't know, I've never seen the movie.

Spirited Away was very poignant. I liked it, although it was a sort of sad ending. That's really enough for me.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:56PM
ozoneocean at 8:00AM, Dec. 1, 2006
(online)
Mizaki doesn't always hit the right note though. Kiki's Delivery Service dragged on and on and on and so did that Laputa movie…
Princess Mononoke was nice, but it didn't have that strong a polt, it got REALLY dumb at the end.

While Tottoro, Nausica, Spirited away, Porco Rosso, Whisper in the Heart, and The Cat Returns were just magical. :)
+ fireflies… :(

But… I have yet to see Howel's though.
I'll have to get it out on DVD.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:25PM
Tyrapendragon at 1:58PM, Dec. 1, 2006
(online)
I enjoyed the movie, but I have read the original book by Diana Wynne Jones, so I knew more about what was going on than what was in the movie. Of course they also changed a lot of the story. I think it's a difficult movie because it's Mizaki's version of a very Western Story.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:35PM
ccs1989 at 6:49PM, Dec. 1, 2006
(online)
Actually Miyazaki didn't do Grave of the Fireflies. That was under a different director, but with a style similar to Miyazaki. I had to write a report for Japanese last year about the movie, and I mistakenly said Miyazaki did it. Consequently, I didn't do very well on that particular assignment.

Anyway we watched this movie in anime club and basically our general consensus was “Huh?” The whole thing with the Turnip guy at the end…I dunno. Fantastic animation, but I didn't really think Howl's character had much to him and the plot didn't pay off in the end.
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:38AM
isukun at 7:17PM, Dec. 1, 2006
(online)
The Cat Returns wasn't a Miyazaki movie, either. Personally, I've found it to be the weakest film in the Ghibli lineup, it not only had the predictable storyline, but also had the worst animation out of the studio that I've seen. Miyazaki's lack of involvement was really evident on that film. Whisper of the Heart did have Miyazaki writing it, but I found it weaker than the rest of his films.

Howl's Moving Castle wasn't the best of his movies, but I don't think it was the worst the studio put out. From what I hear, it could have been much worse if Miyazaki hadn't come back to handle the project himself.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:03PM
Crazy Dutchman at 3:25AM, Dec. 2, 2006
(offline)
I really liked it, altough not as much as Totoro and Spirited Away. I think that isn't because the story is bad, but it probably contained too much story if you compare it to these other two (all the other Ghibli movies I haven't seen yet). MNT and SA had such simple concepts what made it easy to weird/fantastic/beautiful things to add in the movie. Here it seemed that they were more stuck to the story line and a few of the best scenes were the ones from were I don't really know what they had to do to the whole story. And the ending was big disappointment. And still with all of this I did enjoy it very much, AND the animation was indeed great.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:48AM
Rich at 10:13AM, Dec. 2, 2006
(online)
Actually I think the problem is that we never actually saw any of the events going on in the plot. If they'd have gone a bit more in depth, HMC could have easily been Miyazaki's best work.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:07PM
Mark at 1:01AM, Dec. 3, 2006
(offline)
I agree on the lack of explanation. I've seen the movie about 4 times, and have never read the book. The first time I saw it, a lot didn't make sense, but the more I see it, the more it makes sense to me.

Great movie, I'm just sick of seeing it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:54PM
Darth Mongoose at 6:55AM, Dec. 3, 2006
(online)
I read the book first. For me, the film didn't live up to the book. It has some good sequences and visuals in it, but it feels like Miyazaki took the original story, took out half the plot so it stops making sense, adds in a load of stuff about a war that was never in the book and randomly decided to make the Witch of Waste fat and ugly and Howl turn into a strange feathered…thing 0_o' It's a shame, since I love Miyazaki's other films and I absolutely adore the original book, I could read it over and over again. Sadly this, though entertaing and good enough that I bought the DVD, didn't live up to my expectations after Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:08PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved