Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

HTML and Midi files
TwilightPrincess90 at 1:38PM, Jan. 1, 2007
(offline)
hello, so let me exaplin the problem at hand. I am very compute illiterate, actually I'm downright retarded when it comes to anything past emailing and iming. I would absolutely love if someone could explain to me in the plainest english how I could put a midi file or song (if you can put a song) on a page of my comic. Please let me remind you that I needs detailed steps on how to do this, seeing how I am lacking the brain matter for computer technicalities (sp?)

thankyou ^^
Really cool prisma colours- $50
Really cool inking pens- $3
Really cool leather
bound sketchbook- $ 10
Drawing many yaoi filled pages!
PRICELESS!
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:35PM
gigatwo at 12:07PM, Jan. 2, 2007
(online)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:35PM
Darth Mongoose at 1:57PM, Jan. 2, 2007
(online)
Umm, I don't think that qualifies as ‘step by step, okay for people who know nothing beyond emailing’.
Okay, making a page with embedded music involves making an HTML version of your page, and putting the tag Giga just posted above with a url for where the midi was uploaded to. Not sure if it's worth the effort of learning code and stuff just to put a midi on a page, since they're incredibly irritating anyway. If you stll want to do it, learning the basics of html code would be a good start.

http://www.w3schools.com/html/default.asp

I hear this site is good for learning it. Personally I learned HTML from a book.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:08PM
TwilightPrincess90 at 5:38PM, Jan. 2, 2007
(offline)
Thankyou both and yes DarkMongoose I totally see your point with the annoyance of midis. I really never saw the point with them until I found a song that I believed suited my comic perfectly, had the same mood and all, y'know. Music can heighten the mood and emotions of a plot or story and I because I felt this song would do justice (plus it wasn't as annoying as a regular midi) to the comic I wanted it on the page.
Thankyou again for the link. ^^
Really cool leather
bound sketchbook- $ 10
PRICELESS!
lothar at 3:32AM, Jan. 3, 2007
(online)
wow ! MIDIs , that takes me back !! i used to use em wayyy back in 2k. personally i absolutely HATE midis on web pages , if one comes on i don't care what it is i'm looking at i will close the page Emediatly !
one thing to remember is that Midis are not actually music(in the sense that mp3s and waves are) , they are more like sheet music that tell your computer what to play, and depending on what kinda sound card you have its gunna sound different. unless that has changed in the past few years since i stopped paying attention to midis !
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:45PM
TwilightPrincess90 at 1:55PM, Jan. 3, 2007
(offline)
You know, you make a very valid point. I do the same thing with closing a comic that has midis. I think I might forget the midi thing. I mean I would hate for people to do that for my comic, close out and not look. I already have a very small amount of readers/commenters which is kind of funny seeing how I used to get more comments when I never updated and now I have a regular update schedule and no one seems to comment anymore.
Really cool leather
bound sketchbook- $ 10
PRICELESS!
Darth Mongoose at 2:28AM, Jan. 4, 2007
(online)
You're only at 17 pages. Generally a new comic will get a lot of comments when it's new, then they'll fizzle out a bit, bt build back up as you get more pages up. I don't think adding things like midis would increase readership. All you can really do is stick at your comic and keep updating.
subcultured at 10:56AM, Jan. 4, 2007
(online)
to get more comments, leave more comments
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:00PM
marine at 2:02PM, Jan. 4, 2007
(offline)
subcultured
to get more comments, leave more comments

What he said.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:52PM
TwilightPrincess90 at 8:16PM, Jan. 4, 2007
(offline)
Oh yes, it did indeed fizzle and now I am working to get updates out on a timely basis. And yes, I agree with ya'll, I do need to comment more. I have alot of fav'd comics that have alot of comic pages so I feel it necessary to read all the pages before even commenting. I try to comment whenever a comic updates and I'm there but I do need to comment more. Sometimes I totally forget to comment on a comic though, which is very bad, lol, very bad indeed.

Oh and I'm sorry about calling you DarkMongoose when you're name is actually DarthMongoose. Not only am I the Queen of Overlooking Typos but I also hold the record for botching names and the spelling of certain things.
Really cool leather
bound sketchbook- $ 10
PRICELESS!
Darth Mongoose at 2:39AM, Jan. 5, 2007
(online)
I've been called worse, one guy once decided to shorten my name to just ‘Dart’. Couldn't work out he was refering to me! Heck, I've done worse, I spent about a year on a forum thinking this girl's username was ‘YaoiloverTrash’, when in fact it was ‘YaoiloverTash’ (the situation not aided by the fact that on that forum I infamously dislike yaoi fangirls). So I kept calling her ‘Trash’….oops.

Aanyway…Try using the ‘search’ feature to find comics that you would like to read. Finding comics that have a similar kind of style or mood to yours can be effective, plus you can make friends this way who you can talk to about techniques and ideas.
TwilightPrincess90 at 5:10PM, Jan. 5, 2007
(offline)
Lol, that makes me feel better and I do hope that you don't dislike me for my semi-yaoi-girl-ness ^^ Although I'm not so much a yaoi person as a shounen-ai person. One is sometimes mistaken for the other but there is a definant difference. Oh yes, I have been doing the search thing, I manage to find good comics thanks to that and I average about 2 favs about every week. I try to remember to leave a comment even when I'm just “passing through” a comic.
Really cool leather
bound sketchbook- $ 10
PRICELESS!
mykill at 12:04PM, Jan. 6, 2007
(online)
midis suck. The sound quality is garbage.

If you want to have a soundtrack to a comic and have it WORK - it's no longer a comic. It's something else, closer to animation. Comics are visual art + narrative. Music is not visual art, music+narrative has many names - Opera is one of the more popular.

Now, if you want to go there and do it right, get your hands on Flash,- the book , Cartooning in Flash, and put the effort in to make a bridge between comic and animé. Flash incorporates MP3 audio, VASTLY superior to midi.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:09PM
TwilightPrincess90 at 1:20PM, Jan. 8, 2007
(offline)
I agree with you that midis sound quality do suck, although I have heard some very agreeable sounding midis, but that is rare.

But I have to disagree with you about the part the music would be playing. Actually music can be used in all sorts of media to heighten the mood and senses. In this case it would be more to highlight the story and art rather than becoming an actual part of the storytelling/art.

I would also like to mention that you did sound sluightly rude when you commenting on “taking an effort to make a bridge between comic and anime” I am not trying to make an anime. Putting music to something would not be classified as trying to make it into an anime. There are many things that comics can convey that animes can't and vice versa. Simply adding music does not make it an attempt at creating an anime.

I think I'll take the advice of some of the previous commenters and just say no to it all.
Really cool leather
bound sketchbook- $ 10
PRICELESS!
Mystic Hand at 12:41PM, Jan. 9, 2007
(online)
One way to get around the pro's and con's of adding a soundtrack to your comic would be to put a link in your comments section so readers can decide whether or not they want to hear it. Like this:

Play Me

i.e. Play Me (without the spaces).

This way you wouldn't have to mess with html, which you can't do anyway if you're using a template.

*I just googled for a free site to host the music file for this example and found www.myfilehut.com, though there are likely many others.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:09PM
TwilightPrincess90 at 2:00PM, Jan. 9, 2007
(offline)
Hm, that sounds like a very nice idea ^^. Thankyou, that's a perfect compromise. I will try that and see if the readers like or dislike , depending on their comments.
Thankyou again.
Really cool leather
bound sketchbook- $ 10
PRICELESS!

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved