Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Huzzah! I lost weight!
Gohlico at 12:17PM, May 11, 2009
(online)
I decided to put comics on hold so I can focus on losing weight. You see, I have high blood pressure and I need to get rid of it right away. Also, I want to become stronger, live longer and look better. Before I started working out, my weight was 246 lbs. Now my weight is 239 lbs. Woot! I got to keep this up so I can attain the body of a UFC fighter!

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:38PM
Net at 12:20PM, May 11, 2009
(online)
Hey, congrats!!! I started the same process, sans the actual “working out” part, about a year and a half ago. All I did was change from regular soda to diet (which SUCKED initially, stuff tasted like crap… but now that I'm used to it, I can't drink regular soda) and changed my diet slightly.

It's slow going, but I've reduced my blood pressure and dropped from 260 to 244 in a year and a half.

What's your target goal?

>Net

Updating monthly since January, 2005!
**now full time on the Duck!**
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:12PM
Gohlico at 12:32PM, May 11, 2009
(online)
Net
Hey, congrats!!! I started the same process, sans the actual “working out” part, about a year and a half ago. All I did was change from regular soda to diet (which SUCKED initially, stuff tasted like crap… but now that I'm used to it, I can't drink regular soda) and changed my diet slightly.

It's slow going, but I've reduced my blood pressure and dropped from 260 to 244 in a year and a half.

What's your target goal?

>Net

I just cut down the sweets and eat more protein and fiber. Just recently, I've started eating oatmeal, the “non-packet” kind. I make sure I drink a lot of water everyday. I also eat peanut butter and dried plums to curb my sweet tooth.

My current target goal is 200 lbs. However, I might lower it because I really want to attain a body along the line of MMA fighter Bas Rutten. This is perfect for me because I'm a large-framed man and this is far more realistic than the chiseled bodies of the actors in 300. Hehe.

Skullbie at 12:36PM, May 11, 2009
(online)
Right on! :) Yeah oats are great because they really fill you up and are perfect for workouts. You might want to try something called ‘Cut’ diet, it's got a lot of the stuff you seem to be eating now and full serving stuff for guys your size.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:47PM
Net at 12:40PM, May 11, 2009
(online)
Oats? Ugh, you're a better man than I am… I can't STAND oats, unless they're rolled, compressed, coated in some form of sticky substance and mixed with chocolate and nuts, then formed into easily-wrapped bars.

Sounds like you'll make your goal though, you're definitely more motivated for it than most people. :D

>Net

Gohlico at 12:51PM, May 11, 2009
(online)
Net
Oats? Ugh, you're a better man than I am… I can't STAND oats, unless they're rolled, compressed, coated in some form of sticky substance and mixed with chocolate and nuts, then formed into easily-wrapped bars.

Sounds like you'll make your goal though, you're definitely more motivated for it than most people. :D

>Net

It's an acquired taste. If you can eat granola bars then you can eat oatmeal. In fact, sometimes I eat it uncooked. I feel like a horse though. lol!

skullbie: *googles* Hmmm… interesting.

Net at 12:55PM, May 11, 2009
(online)
Gohlico
It's an acquired taste. If you can eat granola bars then you can eat oatmeal. In fact, sometimes I eat it uncooked. I feel like a horse though. lol!

LOL… I just pictured starting off each day with one of those feed bag things you strap to their heads. However, I have to disagree… the only way I can stand granola bars is if they've got a higher concentration of chocolate, marshmallow, nuts, or any combination of the three when compared to the oats.

And I've tried to eat oatmeal… I just can't do it.

>Net

Ryuthehedgewolf at 1:20PM, May 11, 2009
(offline)
Congrats! I know how hard it is to lose weight.
My body still isn't the way I want it to be. Although, I don't have the proper equipment, and I don't always eat right. But I think for what I have, I'm in pretty good shape!

I work out almost every weekday, sometimes I skip, sometimes not. I usually take weekends off.

I dropped from 180 to about 150, then went back up slowly to 170, where I'm at now. I'm about 5'11, and most of it is muscle. I have a bit of fat yet, but not much.

It really helped that I cut down on pop (soda), I just stopped eating chips and stuff, and eating late at night is bad too.

Just keep it up!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:16PM
Net at 1:27PM, May 11, 2009
(online)
yeah, 5'11" and 170 lbs definitely isn't a bad shape to be in. I'm 6' even and 244lbs.

I'd LOVE to be near 170, but I came out of the marine corps in the best shape of my life at 210. Somehow, I doubt that'll ever happen.

>Net

Gohlico at 1:33PM, May 11, 2009
(online)
Ryuthehedgewolf
Congrats! I know how hard it is to lose weight.
My body still isn't the way I want it to be. Although, I don't have the proper equipment, and I don't always eat right. But I think for what I have, I'm in pretty good shape!

I work out almost every weekday, sometimes I skip, sometimes not. I usually take weekends off.

I dropped from 180 to about 150, then went back up slowly to 170, where I'm at now. I'm about 5'11, and most of it is muscle. I have a bit of fat yet, but not much.

It really helped that I cut down on pop (soda), I just stopped eating chips and stuff, and eating late at night is bad too.

Just keep it up!

I work out everyday and I do both cardio and strength. My equipment consists of a 20 lb cooler and my dumbells are two 3 lb detergent bottles. Not only I cut down sodas and as much as possible I stay away from sweets.

Just in case you're wondering, I'm 5'9. For now, I prefer to reach 200 lbs.

kyupol at 3:38PM, May 11, 2009
(online)
also cut down on meat that isn't organic.

I was able to cut my weight down from 240 (yeah I weighed that much when I worked at McDonalds. My hands were a little too fast. I grabbed a nugget whenever I had the chance. I got so good at it that I can't get caught even if there were 3 managers in the area) to 190 just by doing that.

Now I'm 180ish.

Need to lose 10-20 pounds.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:26PM
Product Placement at 4:57PM, May 11, 2009
(online)
You know. I was 280 for a time. Then recently, I dropped all the way down to 215.

I need to buy new pants now…. and a belt.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:50PM
lba at 5:02PM, May 11, 2009
(online)
kyupol

I was able to cut my weight down from 240 (yeah I weighed that much when I worked at McDonalds. My hands were a little too fast. I grabbed a nugget whenever I had the chance. I got so good at it that I can't get caught even if there were 3 managers in the area) to 190 just by doing that.

I would suspect that having more to do with the fact that it's McDonald's than anything else, but you know, whatever suits you.

I've thought about it, but I'm one of those odd people who can't stand the idea of exercising if it doesn't actually accomplish anything. I'll work 12 hours straight splitting fire wood, but the moment I do 10 sit ups I begin thinking it's an absolute waste of my time.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:29PM
Gohlico at 5:31PM, May 11, 2009
(online)
lba
kyupol

I would suspect that having more to do with the fact that it's McDonald's than anything else, but you know, whatever suits you.

I've thought about it, but I'm one of those odd people who can't stand the idea of exercising if it doesn't actually accomplish anything. I'll work 12 hours straight splitting fire wood, but the moment I do 10 sit ups I begin thinking it's an absolute waste of my time.

If that's the case then dinosaur training is the exercise for you. Some exercises in dinosaur training mimic manual labor such as the farmer's walk, the sandbag clean and hitting the soft ground or an old tire with a sledge hammer.

Or you could just do manual labor which is good enough for keeping fit and it's practical too.

Oh and don't do sit-ups. Crunches are better and safer.

product placement: Excellent! *plays air guitar*

Ryuthehedgewolf at 5:37PM, May 11, 2009
(offline)
kyupol

Now I'm 180ish.

Need to lose 10-20 pounds.

Meat isn't bad as long as it's not fried, or covered in grease.

In fact, baked, and sometimes even grilled chicken is good for you. Other meats are too, it's just, I love chicken.
Try to stay away from rotesserie (sorry about that, I'm not sure how to spell it) chicken though, I'm pretty sure that's not too good :P
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:16PM
usedbooks at 7:10PM, May 11, 2009
(online)
I've never been a beautiful person, but my reason for losing weight is so my arthritis will ease up and I won't be straining my heart so much.

I was finally to the point that I was terrified of, well, death, so I started counting my calories. I already ate only “healthy” stuff (I drink only water, I don't eat potato chips or junk…) – just too much of it. Too many snacks, portions twice what they should be. Now, I eat mostly chicken and fresh vegetables (other stuff too; I didn't “cut out” anything), about 5 small meals (300 to 400 calories each) a day. I lost about 30 pounds so far. I plateaued twice, which was so depressing that I nearly gave up. The last plateau lasted a LONG time, but then I took in a stray dog that needs two walks a day (or I incur the wrath of her constant barking), and I started losing weight again.

I'm currently going through sleep studies, because the doctor I went to about my weight issues referred me. If I can get my mild apnea and snoring under control, it might help my metabolism.

I still need to lose about 100 pounds (and I'd still be technically overweight…).

I wouldn't cut down on comics to lose weight, though. I'd start “boredom snaking” again! But to each his own, and I wish you great success in improving your health. Just remember that losing more than 2 pounds or so a week can be dangerous (and also less permanent), so be patient and consistent. Make sure it isn't just a temporary diet but rather establishing better overall habits that you can live with.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:38PM
lba at 7:30PM, May 11, 2009
(online)
Gohlico
If that's the case then dinosaur training is the exercise for you. Some exercises in dinosaur training mimic manual labor such as the farmer's walk, the sandbag clean and hitting the soft ground or an old tire with a sledge hammer.

Or you could just do manual labor which is good enough for keeping fit and it's practical too.

Oh and don't do sit-ups. Crunches are better and safer.

product placement: Excellent! *plays air guitar*

That's pretty much all my summer is, is manual labour. What I more need to work on is my metabolism. I used to be at the point I only had to eat once a day to not feel hungry, but I also got trained into eating whenever I could because I rarely knew when food would be available. Now that I have a constant supply of food, that old mental training has become a serious problem.

I'm sure eventually I'll manage to retrain myself, but in the mean time I'm just focusing on speeding up my metabolism to help deal with it and seeing if there's ways I can substitute some foods.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:29PM
JoeL_CQB at 8:02PM, May 11, 2009
(online)
this thread should be renamed to the drunkduck health club thread.

my friend, who works at the gym, told me apparently, if you just walked for 30 minutes a day for a while, you'd lose weight.

i think he was explaining to me why treadmills exist.

anyways, i'm one of those jerks who can eat just about anything and not seem to gain weight.
the last time i checked my weight it was like 125.

although having a bit more muscle would be nice, but i already feel fine since i bike around here to get places. i could use the buses but that means i can only catch one every hour.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:10PM
Ozoneocean at 10:36PM, May 11, 2009
(online)
lba
I've thought about it, but I'm one of those odd people who can't stand the idea of exercising if it doesn't actually accomplish anything.
Me too.
Then I discovered body vanity. ;)

It's nice to have a cool shape. It's like dressing smart… except with no clothes on. lol!
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:34PM
Aurora Borealis at 10:13AM, May 12, 2009
(online)
I think I need a corset. First, I don't like to exercise a lot and walking is my main exercise (I specifically go to a store that's 20 minutes away from home rather than hit the one that's five minutes away… unless I need something that's in this one and not in the other one). The problem is that if I have food, I'll eat it.

Well, the corset would not make me any skinnier by itself BUT it would limit the amount of food I could shovel inside, sooo… I wouldn't gain weight anymore and probably lose a little :D

Plus corsets are so damn sexy :D
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:08AM
Ozoneocean at 6:04PM, May 12, 2009
(online)
Aurora Borealis
Plus corsets are so damn sexy :D
It depends on the context…

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:34PM
Aurora Borealis at 7:07PM, May 12, 2009
(online)
ewww at that photo :P
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:08AM
lefarce at 6:47PM, May 13, 2009
(online)
Best way I found to keep off weight was to run a mile every night without fail, keep carbs low and take in as little sugar as possible.

Been keeping myself from 130 to a constant 125. Took only about a week after fluxing water weight to drop the extra five. The best method to keeping you fat off is to just keep active.

Or be a slut and throw up in the toilet. Just make sure you have a good dental plan.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:33PM
Air Raid Robertson at 6:32AM, May 15, 2009
(online)
I found myself in a position where it wouldn't be a bad idea to lose ten pounds.

Pretty much all the methods on here have some merit to it. I myself made the painful switch to diet soda, and like the man up there I can't stand the taste of the regular stuff anymore.

Walking is a really good idea. The first five pounds melted off after a couple of days of just strolling around the city for a half hour or so.

But, well, for me the biggest deal was just dumping a lot of bad habits. I'm the kind of guy who eats when he's bored instead of when he's hungry. I really had to give that idea the heave-ho before I was able to accomplish anything.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:48AM
jissai at 11:48AM, May 23, 2009
(offline)
I used to weight 150 ( 2 years ago)until I started medication for my anxiety and seizures. in a little over 3 months i weighed 180 and 6 months ago i weighed 197 pounds. i started to excersize about 1 hour a day and am taking acai berrys to repress my hunger ( from the medication mind you. sometimes i would be so hungry i couldnt even sleep.) now i have an average hunger and the last time i weighted myself (2 months ago) i was at 175. i think i lost weight since then from my clothes but i havent weighed myself lately.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:09PM
mamaya94 at 6:00AM, May 24, 2009
(online)
I am about 177.5 CM and weight about 174pound.Do I have to loss my weight???
(I don't have lot of muscle execpt on my leg.And I am Asian.)
Main Comic

Finished one
Hanged Doll:Where does your memory begin???
http://www.drunkduck.com/hanged_doll/

Resting one
30 years:30 years of pain and suffering…Time for payback
http://www.drunkduck.com/30_Years/
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:50PM
Lonnehart at 9:24PM, May 24, 2009
(online)
Did someone lose this? Ah! *hands Goholico an item called “weight”…

In all seriousness it's good to lose weight, but if you lose it dramatically it's time to see a doctor. Just something I learned the HARD way (I'm diabetic).

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:39PM
Aleks55 at 12:46PM, June 13, 2009
(online)
gratz
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:48AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon