Media Megaforum

I am Legend
Phunin at 6:57PM, Dec. 7, 2007
(offline)
Anyone else planning to see this movie? I don't know why, but this movie really draws me in. I think it's the plot that really gets me. I can't wait to actually see the movie. Anyone else planning to see it, or read the book?
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:43PM
bongotezz at 7:33PM, Dec. 7, 2007
(offline)
you can rent omega man or last man on earth if you really wanna see it before it's released. i believe they are all based on the same story.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:32AM
Ziffy88 at 8:15PM, Dec. 7, 2007
(offline)
yep all based on I Am Legend the book
last edited on July 14, 2011 5:01PM
jalford at 2:42AM, Dec. 8, 2007
(online)
FOR THE LOVE OF DJ JAZZY JEFF! No more fucking movies of Will Smith saving the fucking universe! I'll be suprised if he doen't get cast as He-Man in his next movie!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:06PM
Steely Gaze at 3:37AM, Dec. 8, 2007
(offline)
Actually, I'd like to see this movie if it's any good, but since Will Smith played in the worst possible version of I Robot ever conceived I have this bad feeling about another literature inspired movie. Although, the trailers have looked very sweet and I love Smith as an actor.
A Roll of the Dice now with full-size pages!

John Clyde now with ten times the tacky Hawaiian shirts!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:57PM
ozoneocean at 4:08AM, Dec. 8, 2007
(online)
jalford
FOR THE LOVE OF DJ JAZZY JEFF! No more fucking movies of Will Smith saving the fucking universe! I'll be suprised if he doen't get cast as He-Man in his next movie!
Yeah… I have to wonder at this too. I mean he's just so geeky looking. He's like Screech and Urkel combined.

He's a decent actor, he's really quite good, but not really the heroic archetype. I mean, he's not even the slobby loser reluctant hero archetype of Bruce Willis.

You might say that a “look” doesn't matter so much, but it does! In movies the look is ALL! One tends to think that the only reasons he's getting these roles is because he's done well in SciFi before (so one role follows another), and he's a big name.

Will is the new Charlton Heston. Next stop: Moses!

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:29PM
lastcall at 4:14AM, Dec. 8, 2007
(offline)
I wasn't bothering to see this movie until you guys mentioned it…I just checked out the trailer and it looks pretty good. Whoever designed the trailer did a good job.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:27PM
LIZARD_B1TE at 4:23AM, Dec. 8, 2007
(online)
I'll see it. I'll try to enjoy it. But the thing is, I know I won't enjoy it. I Am Legend is one of my all-time favorite books. And Hollywood probably screwed it up.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:37PM
Steely Gaze at 6:22AM, Dec. 8, 2007
(offline)
LIZARD_B1TE
I'll see it. I'll try to enjoy it. But the thing is, I know I won't enjoy it. I Am Legend is one of my all-time favorite books. And Hollywood probably screwed it up.

But isn't that the case with any movie based on a book? I know I personally can't stand any of the Bourne movies and refuse to buy, watch, or even recommend them to anyone because the Bourne Identity is one of my favorite books. I've never read I Am Legend, though I want to I just can't find a copy anywhere (offline I mean) but I'm positive the movie won't be as good as the book was. But it does sound like a nice movie regardless.

And I just have to say, I don't really think Will Smith is going to be saving the world or anything in this one. I don't know for sure, but it looks more like an apocalyptic horror movie than a heroic adventure. I actually like the average guy persona he pulls off pretty well and think it would translate well to a movie like this.
A Roll of the Dice now with full-size pages!

John Clyde now with ten times the tacky Hawaiian shirts!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:57PM
marine at 1:03PM, Dec. 8, 2007
(offline)
I loved the book and the omega man, and I'll definitely be checking this one out. Looks like they went with zombies instead of vampires or mutants this time around.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:53PM
SarahN at 1:42PM, Dec. 8, 2007
(online)
Went from starring Vincent Price to starring Will Smith….that's quite a switch.
Will Smith isn't a bad actor necessarily….but….when I heard about this movie why did I automatically KNOW he would star in it??
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:23PM
marine at 4:31PM, Dec. 8, 2007
(offline)
You dare not mention Charlton Heston?
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:53PM
Ziffy88 at 6:08PM, Dec. 8, 2007
(offline)
really zombies. I don't know I'm kinda zombied out after 28 weeks.
lastcall at 6:09PM, Dec. 8, 2007
(offline)
What about Christopher Lee? (Although I feel like the man has been getting a bit desparate these days..the five-minute cameo in The Golden Compass was silly)
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:27PM
skoolmunkee at 4:49AM, Dec. 9, 2007
(online)
Steely Gaze
And I just have to say, I don't really think Will Smith is going to be saving the world or anything in this one.

Well, in the book he didn't. But we'll see what happens in the movie.

I suspect using non-hero actors in heroic roles is probably meant to show “I'm just an everyday guy in a unique situation” but… it doesn't really work in movies. It's hard to pull that off.

I didn't think THAT highly of the book (the medical stuff started falling apart in the second half) but it would be an entertaining movie to rent for a rainy night. :)
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:40PM
jalford at 4:16AM, Dec. 10, 2007
(online)
So, there's a New York overrun with undear “mutants” in this movie, and then a New York overrun with giant monsters in Cloverfield(or wateva it's called!). The should do a Kaiju Vs. Zombies movie. The only hitch would be that kaiju couldn't be infected with the T-Virus.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:06PM
Ziffy88 at 9:01PM, Dec. 14, 2007
(offline)

I like these reviews anyways so according this small group it wasn't that bad maybe I might go out and watch it
Ziffy88 at 9:04PM, Dec. 14, 2007
(offline)
You want an average guy get a pungy somewhat over weight guy like someone in The Office
Dan at 7:07PM, Dec. 15, 2007
(online)
Watched it today.

“Someone came and went. The end.”
A hideous waste of money.
“I like shooting, but I sure as hell don't like being shot at.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:04PM
kingofsnake at 7:55PM, Dec. 15, 2007
(online)
Jon Krazinski in I am Legend?

I'd watch that.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:16PM
lefarce at 10:52PM, Dec. 15, 2007
(online)
The ending felt like more of a half-way point rather than the closure I was looking for. What a shame. It was such a great film up until the horrible closing chapter. Besides that it failed to follow the book in most of it's major aspects, yet nailed it's mood.

Well, the TDK trailer was worth it, and I don't regret paying to see it. Not a bad film, just rushed near the end. As soon as the credits rolled I literally turned to the person next to me and said “That's it? How long has it been, half an hour?”

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:32PM
D0m at 5:55AM, Dec. 18, 2007
(online)
Not sure if anyone said this, but I'm really wishing they'd had actors portraying the vampires. I kept saying “CGI, CGI” in the back of my head. What I wanted was something like the aliens from the Thing. Our CGI can't even top those creations.

Nadya- a tale about what happens to SOME of us when we die.

Currently: Nadya is awake and asking more relevant questions.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:02PM
albone at 7:17AM, Dec. 27, 2007
(online)
The movie was so-so. It was interesting to see what a military officer/scientist would do in that situation. Will Smith wasn't so bad, there was a pretty sad part in it (for me) and that carried with me. However, it was a bit of a letdown, and the final conclusion wasn't SO bad.
You are part of the rebel alliance and a traitor!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:48AM
GOD_OF_DEATH at 4:25PM, Dec. 27, 2007
(offline)
lefarce
The ending felt like more of a half-way point rather than the closure I was looking for. What a shame. It was such a great film up until the horrible closing chapter. Besides that it failed to follow the book in most of it's major aspects, yet nailed it's mood.

Well, the TDK trailer was worth it, and I don't regret paying to see it. Not a bad film, just rushed near the end. As soon as the credits rolled I literally turned to the person next to me and said “That's it? How long has it been, half an hour?”

Very true, but i didn't get completely through the book, so i dont know if the end of the movie and the book are the same
I miss BABAARS NINJAAR house, great memories, Ah, APPLES to APPLES
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:38PM
LIZARD_B1TE at 6:05PM, Dec. 27, 2007
(online)
GOD_OF_DEATH
Very true, but i didn't get completely through the book, so i dont know if the end of the movie and the book are the same

If you were to describe both in one simple sentence: yes, they are the same.

If you were to go into detail: They are nothing alike.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:37PM
lefarce at 12:36AM, Dec. 28, 2007
(online)
LIZARD_B1TE
GOD_OF_DEATH

If you were to describe both in one simple sentence: yes, they are the same.

If you were to go into detail: They are nothing alike.

In other words…

The mood: Done right.
The plot points: Done Wrong.
The main point of the whole thing: Done so far from wrong it's not even worth it.

The interesting thing is the first two thirds of that film were great. It doesn't start fucking things up till the very end. The lack of plot points didn't matter, because it was still a fun film, at least until the end where everything is supposed to explain why it's CALLED I Am Legend. That's the one thing they really shouldn't have taken liberties with. It really was a shame it didn't end the same way.

It's like, the book's ending was pure brilliance. The movie's ending doesn't stack up to it like the rest of the altered plot points did.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:32PM
mlai at 7:41AM, Dec. 28, 2007
(online)
What I agree with:

1. The dog should win the Oscar.
2. The vampires should have been played by actors not bargain-bin Gollum rejects.
3. What are the odds that the survivors he meets are a hot chick and a little kid?
4. There must've been a way for the movie to end truer to the spirit of the book, despite the divergent plot points. Instead, the movie tries too hard to end itself with Will Smith as the hero, again.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:06PM
Hawk at 8:47AM, Dec. 28, 2007
(online)
I saw the film over the Christmas break and I really enjoyed it. And it takes a lot for me to like a Will Smith movie. It was nice to see him be somewhat different from the stereotypical Will Smith. I haven't read the book though, so I don't have the reported “much better ending” to compare it to.

I will say that the movie got a bit less interesting when the other survivors showed up. But what really made me enjoy the movie was the suspense and edge-of-your-seat surprises. I enjoy scaring myself… I'm cheap that way.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
Beaums at 3:05AM, Dec. 30, 2007
(offline)
I managed to catch this flick today too. Gotta say, it was pretty damn good. Not great, not a perfect film to end the year, but pretty damn good.

Will Smith pulled off his part. He accomplishes his character as lonely and detached, yet strong-willed and honorable. That being said, you get the perfect vibe from this film and the perfect mood. It was also interesting to have a dog as the secondary character to the lone protagonist. She doesn't talk, but you really feel the connection between her and Will Smith and you really begin to feel for her, just as you would with a normal human character. And when they show Sam as a little puppy, come on, look me in the eye and say that didn't melt your heart.

Unfortunately, it was those long, dragging scenes between Smith, Sam and the occasional mannequin that made the movie. When the two survivors showed up the movie kind of lost its allure. Another gripe I have with the movie was its use of CGI, especially when it came to the mutants. Yes, CGI was necessary for the scenes that included huge packs of mutants on the run, but when the camera goes close-up to focus on an individual mutant, and when you start giving the mutants personalities, CGI ruins it. The mutant that Smith kept for research and the mutant that seemed to lead the others both should've been actors under heavy makeup.

Anyways, it was a pretty spiffy show. It wasn't action, and it wasn't horror, it was suspense, and that's something we haven't seen much of in awhile. I kind of got that whole "Signs" vibe from it, especially when you caught the first glimpse of the mutants in a hive. So go watch it…

last edited on July 14, 2011 11:16AM
Kxela at 5:07PM, Jan. 2, 2008
(online)
lefarce

exactly how I felt. Just when i thought it gets really interesting… it ends.
Like the story was chopped or something. With that the movie did feel short o.o cant believe it was even close to two hours. I think I went into the theatre with a little too much hype D:
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:24PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved