I am legend
subcultured at 8:47AM, June 8, 2007
(online)
based on a comic book and i think on a book

J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:02PM
silentkitty at 8:54AM, June 8, 2007
(offline)
Mmm.. It looks like it has the potential to either be really good, or really cheezy, or maybe both at the same time, lol. Interesting.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:37PM
StaceyMontgomery at 9:38AM, June 8, 2007
(offline)
It started as a wonderful novel by Richard Matheson, the King of Horror and Weirdness. There's a version from the 60s starring Vincent Price that I really like (titled: The Last man on Earth) and of course, there's a Charlton Heston version called “The Omega Man” which is fun, but good.

There were rumors for years about a version starring Arnold. Will Smith seems like a much better idea.

Here's hoping.

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:55PM
LIZARD_B1TE at 11:33AM, June 8, 2007
(online)
It looks like it might be an enjoyable movie, but only if I ignore the title.

Seriously? Why does he have guns? In th book (the greatest vampire novel ever written), the vampires couldn't harmed by bullets because the wounds they inflict are too shallow. You have to use something that would go in deep and let air into the body in order to kill them. Otherwise, they'd just shrug it off.

Guns tell me that there will be a ton of action sequences. The novel wasn't about action, it was one man's struggle to survive in a world over-run by the undead. And he's looking for survivors? In the book, if I remember this correctly, he had given up on finding any other humans a long time ago.

Like I said, I'm going to have to ignore the fact that this movie is called I Am Legend if I plan on actually enjoying it.

But who knows? Maybe it will surprise me by keeping the main ideas of the book; survival, loneliness, and hopelessness.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:37PM
subcultured at 11:53AM, June 8, 2007
(online)
action/ guns sell tickets

its a big budget movie, they have to get their money back somehow
J
Mystic Hand at 1:05PM, June 8, 2007
(online)
This must be one of the most remade / retold / revamped story templates ever, so a remake of the original is hard to get excited about.

Even so, the only similarities to the book will probably be the inclusion of vampires and the admittedly cool title. At least I hope so. (I'm not at all a fan of the original, in which all the action depends on the main character forgetting to close the door or to come home before sundown.)

Almost all of the 1940-1960s sci-fi and horror writers (even the nerd gods like Asimov and Heinlein) are tough to read for me because they feel so naive and out-of-date. I know they were great at the time, but now… It's like listening to an old man telling you of that day in his wild youth when he once saw a girl's ankle.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:09PM
LIZARD_B1TE at 2:46PM, June 8, 2007
(online)
Well, the book was written a way that made the whole story seem realistic. Vampires were examined scientifically and, lets face it, if you were the last human being alive in a world full of vampires, would you run around at night trying to kill everything that moved, or would you try to protect yourself, fortify your home, and not get eaten?
Hguyver at 3:52PM, June 8, 2007
(online)
I've never head of any kind of book. But just from the trailer it looks like an interesting enough concept. I guess I'll have to go look for more details to figure what it's about aside from the general “last man on earth, and possible monsters.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:48PM
ozoneocean at 3:55PM, June 8, 2007
(online)
Mystic Hand
Almost all of the 1940-1960s sci-fi and horror writers (even the nerd gods like Asimov and Heinlein) are tough to read for me because they feel so naive and out-of-date. I know they were great at the time, but now… It's like listening to an old man telling you of that day in his wild youth when he once saw a girl's ankle.
Ugh… Their earlier writing was published at a time when the standards were stricter… as to sex, those early guys (almost all of them) are WAY more hardcore than now. Seriously, they were obsessed. Probably what made the genre so popular back then, they tried to sneak it in any way they could and whenever the publishing standards were loser they went to town. Bless ‘em! :)

The movie will suck. It looks sucky in the preview.
One thing I really hate is that it’s just using the name of the book to try add some extra marketing spin to it, it's so loosely based on it that it has almost nothing at all to do with it. This film is really based on all the other zombie shit that's popular right now. (yeah, I know they're “vampires” in the book, but they behave more like zombies)

Ho hum… a nice safe bandwagon movie… What's the next fad gonna be? Maybe if we work it out early enough we can buy the rights to some 50's scifi and cash in big when the Hollywood zombies go round shopping for exploitable old material!

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:27PM
LIZARD_B1TE at 4:40PM, June 8, 2007
(online)
ozoneocean
This film is really based on all the other zombie shit that's popular right now. (yeah, I know they're “vampires” in the book, but they behave more like zombies)

Interestingly, the novel was what inspired George Romero to create Dawn of the Dead. So, it's the forerunner of Zombie Horror.

Also, the similiarity between the vampires and zombies ends at undeath and outbreaks. The vampires were much more intelligent, had completely different weaknesses, would attack eachother if there was no meal around, and they also had the ability the adapt. Compared to zombies, the vampires of I Am Legend are much more compelling villains. Not just in the fundamental differences, but in Matheson's portrayal as well.

We laugh at the idea of stuff like Dawn of the Dead becoming real, but Matheson made vampirism actually seem plausible. Making I Am Legend much more terrifying than most works of Zombie Horror.

A proper adaption of the novel would probably make for a very good horror film. Hollywood just has trouble discerning between Action and Horror. For example, Underworld would have much better if they had spent more money on choreography rather than gore effects.
Maxw3ll at 10:00PM, June 8, 2007
(offline)
Why does Hollywood ruin everything dear to me?
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:56PM
dueeast at 12:11PM, June 9, 2007
(online)
Because they ran out of original ideas long ago?
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:17PM
reconjsh at 3:35PM, June 9, 2007
(online)
Looks good to me and I'm an old fan too…

All I read in these forums is you guys hating on everything. Seriously, why not enjoy that this work is being revisioned instead of hating that it isn't pure? It'll probably be a great movie… and how can you guys really know much about it from this short trailer? Other than the time period, maybe it'll be as near verbatim as anything every created ever… who could know now?
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:02PM
subcultured at 3:38PM, June 9, 2007
(online)
hahaha

i like stuff.
J
ozoneocean at 5:33PM, June 9, 2007
(online)
reconjsh
All I read in these forums is you guys hating on everything.
It's more fun and I've been jaded by Hollywood one too many times.
reconjsh
Other than the time period, maybe it'll be as near verbatim as anything every created ever
Nope :) That one's easy to dispute. But it's not important, what is important is that the trend for exploiting and messing up old popular properties for the purpose of cashing in on bandwagons has gotten much worse recently. At least they're recycling…

reconjsh at 6:27PM, June 9, 2007
(online)
ozoneocean
reconjsh
All I read in these forums is you guys hating on everything.
It's more fun and I've been jaded by Hollywood one too many times.
reconjsh
Other than the time period, maybe it'll be as near verbatim as anything every created ever
Nope :) That one's easy to dispute. But it's not important, what is important is that the trend for exploiting and messing up old popular properties for the purpose of cashing in on bandwagons has gotten much worse recently. At least they're recycling…
Fair. But, I think this is going to be a fantastic movie.

Are you guys upset by the 2 previous incarnations of this movie? Or is it limited to this one?
ozoneocean at 7:00PM, June 9, 2007
(online)
reconjsh
Are you guys upset by the 2 previous incarnations of this movie?
Not really. They're history now.

And to be perfectly honest I don't care too much about the Will Smith film either: it's just the principal! lol!
Plus: Ho-hum another remake, another Zombie movie, another star vehicle…

But then maybe Will can be the old Sci-Fi movie guy! Wasn't he in I-robot or something? This could be his thang :)

reconjsh at 7:23PM, June 9, 2007
(online)
ozoneocean
reconjsh
Are you guys upset by the 2 previous incarnations of this movie?
Not really. They're history now.

And to be perfectly honest I don't care too much about the Will Smith film either: it's just the principal! lol!
Plus: Ho-hum another remake, another Zombie movie, another star vehicle…

But then maybe Will can be the old Sci-Fi movie guy! Wasn't he in I-robot or something? This could be his thang :)
Good thing I came along to this thread Double O… otherwise, you'd just be agreeing with everyone. :P

marine at 10:45PM, June 9, 2007
(offline)
I loved the Omega Man. Course, I love all of Charlton Hestons epic's. The vincent price one is also good, but its tone and atmosphere couldn't be more different from the 70s action sci fi epic that the Omega Man was.

I have HIGH hopes for this one. My anticipated movies this year were, 300, spider-man 3, fanastic four 2, Die Hard 4, and I am Legend. I'd be willing to doubt anything else great will come out, unless Manson's lewis carol bio pic comes out. Then maybe, but other than that, this years film schedule looks kinda gay.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:52PM
LIZARD_B1TE at 1:10PM, June 10, 2007
(online)
marine
this years film schedule looks kinda gay.

I wasn't aware that film schedules were capable of homosexuality. 0_0
Deviant Lynx at 11:44PM, June 10, 2007
(offline)
A very scary thought to be the last man on earth. With his dog. I'm still trying to figure out how come the dog's still with him. I must read the book.

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:10PM
LIZARD_B1TE at 8:29AM, June 11, 2007
(online)
Deviant Lynx
A very scary thought to be the last man on earth. With his dog. I'm still trying to figure out how come the dog's still with him. I must read the book.

The dog didn't appear until late in the book. Unlike the what seems to be happening in the movie, it wasn't with him from the beginning.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved