Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

I decided to try a background...
x3022 at 4:53PM, Feb. 18, 2006
(offline)
Was I wrong to do that?

Sunday, Jan 22, '06

Any suggestions, tips, etc mucho appreciated. And just for the records, using backgrounds is hard. Damn hard.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:52PM
SpANG at 4:56PM, Feb. 18, 2006
(online)
s'okay. I can't really judge the art, because I'm not sure you actually drew it.

I'd lighten it a little, tho. Make the characters stand out a little more.

.: SpANG! :.
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:51PM
doubleY at 6:21AM, Feb. 19, 2006
(offline)
Loved your comic.

Personally, I like it with your old white background. The present background distracts me from the characters. The colours are all equally bright. Dimming the background will make the characters stand out. x3022 looks like he's floating against a flat picture of a living room, instead of being _inside_ a living room scene. Adding a shadow beneath x3022 will “root” him to the floor of the scene.

I dabbled around with a screenshot of your comic to see if there would be much of a difference:

What do the rest of you think?
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:13PM
mykill at 7:55AM, Feb. 19, 2006
(online)
Visual Storytelling formula:

1. each scene needs an establishing shot. The shows the environment (the background), the players and objects in the environment, and where everything is in relation to each other. This is necessary for ‘choregraphy’, so when an action happens in the story, a reader can understand what is happening.

2. ONLY 1 establishing shot needed per scene, Once the environment has been established, you can simply use “props” to establish location inside of environment.

3. New scene, new establishing shot needed.

Okay, here you didn't REALLY give us an establishing shot at all (What is in front of the character?). Had you done so you could've left the rest of the comics more ‘open’ with less background.

BUT, assuming the scope of the comic is simply “joke”, the scope of storytelling that requires an establishing shot may not be necessary. Just use as much background as you need, which may not be much.

DOUBLE Y: Lowering the color intensity (making the colors more grey, not lighter) and blurring the background a little so the foreground figure is ‘in focus’ would be the way to go.

Final General comment: I think the comic could be funnier with a simple horizontal line, breaking up space between sky and ground - maybe a block of yellow below and blue above. The design is BETTER, and in this case it makes the figure seem VERY isolated - fueling the joke.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:09PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved