Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

i don't know how to..
campbellim at 10:31AM, June 19, 2009
(online)
ok so i have no problem drawing guys in comics, but for the life of me i don't know how to draw girls. i get the face, thats not the problem its that after that i move mechanically into drawing a guy. i don't know how to draw a girls body. HELP ME!!!!
There's many things I wish I could say, if only my pride would allow me to look at you and say them all. If only i could say the words ‘I love you’
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:36AM
BlkKnight at 2:12PM, June 19, 2009
(online)
1) Practice

2) Look at reference pictures

3) Practice

4) Drunk Duck does have a good compilation of tutorials from various places

5) Practice
That's “Dr. BlkKnight” to all of you.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:26AM
Ryuthehedgewolf at 2:30PM, June 19, 2009
(online)
I highly suggest you search deviantArt. There's a vast amount of resources at your disposal.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:16PM
kyupol at 9:23PM, June 19, 2009
(online)
campbellim
ok so i have no problem drawing guys in comics, but for the life of me i don't know how to draw girls. i get the face, thats not the problem its that after that i move mechanically into drawing a guy. i don't know how to draw a girls body. HELP ME!!!!

pay attention to the relationship between the hips and shoulders.
NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:26PM
Mirre at 6:08AM, June 23, 2009
(offline)
Take a look at the differences between a male and a female, both in anathomy and in the face. And also, it may depend on how your personal style affects the way you draw girls.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:02PM
Eddie Jensen at 11:04AM, June 23, 2009
(online)
I dissagree, if you focus on the differences between men and women you'll end up with big titted ho bags, I say focus on the things that are the same , there really aren't alot and the few things that are cause the things that aren't to be so much clearer. Also draw them. Just do it and do it alot.
if I was a teapot I think I'd be orange.

http://t-k-.deviantart.com/
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:18PM
campbellim at 12:53PM, June 23, 2009
(online)
OMG!!!! yesterday i got my first semi successfully drawn girl which i screwed up when i realized that i drew her in one of my originally a guy clothes so you know i decided to change the design of the clothes, and erased a lot of what she looked like. then i got her into the uniform i needed for a comic i'm working on and realized she looked like a man again… FAIL!!
There's many things I wish I could say, if only my pride would allow me to look at you and say them all. If only i could say the words ‘I love you’
mattchee at 8:27AM, June 25, 2009
(online)
FIRST: I would study up on anatomy, from the bones to the muscles, to the skin. When you understand all this, you will consider it when you do your figure drawing and it will help you create a more believable figure. There are a number of differences between men and women including hips/pelvis (totally different pelvis shape and angle), shape of the rip cage, women tend to have an extra layer of fat between their muscles and skin (making their muscles less defined, and softer lines all around), etc… So start learning that stuff and appyling what you learn to figures.

I don't know if you draw Parallel Universes or not, but if so, you've got a good start going, but here's what I noticed (and this could be part and parcel with your “woman problems” (heh)): It looks an awful lot like you draw clothes to make up a body and then whatever body parts need to poke out of those clothes (your last post kinda confirms that). Instead of doing this, you should try drawing the full figure body first (naked… well, like Barbie and Ken naked), and THEN put clothes on that body. I think you'll find that you come up with much more believable figures that way, for men and women. I think the trouble you're running into is trying to shape clothes in a “female way” instead of actually DRAWING a female and putting clothes on her.

Remember there are several steps to a completed drawing, so don't be afraid to draw a complete figure, then ad clothes, then ad features and then clean it up for your final drawing.

I know it can seem like a lot of “homework” when you just want to have fun and draw, but if you are serious about drawing then you do need to do your homework and constantly strive to improve to step it up. Its all fun.

And PRACTICE!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:55PM
Eddie Jensen at 10:12AM, June 25, 2009
(online)
these tutorials are great:

http://alexds1.deviantart.com/art/Fellas-Tutorial-104865472

http://alexds1.deviantart.com/art/Ladies-Tutorial-98311607
if I was a teapot I think I'd be orange.

http://t-k-.deviantart.com/
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:18PM
campbellim at 8:14PM, June 28, 2009
(online)
mattchee
I don't know if you draw Parallel Universes or not, but if so, you've got a good start going, but here's what I noticed (and this could be part and parcel with your “woman problems” (heh)): It looks an awful lot like you draw clothes to make up a body and then whatever body parts need to poke out of those clothes (your last post kinda confirms that). Instead of doing this, you should try drawing the full figure body first (naked… well, like Barbie and Ken naked), and THEN put clothes on that body. I think you'll find that you come up with much more believable figures that way, for men and women. I think the trouble you're running into is trying to shape clothes in a “female way” instead of actually DRAWING a female and putting clothes on her.

well No I don't draw Parallel Univserse that is actually drawn by a friend. and THANKS for the help that is actually how I draw girls trying to form “female looking clothes.” now my main problem that I actually noticed a couple days ago is (on my first semi-girly character) I always draw flat-chested girls, I mean not that there's anything wrong with that, but I realize most of the male audience have this image of busty women. I actually drew this amazing looking girl, she looked really cool too, for a comic I personally am drawing called THE Sleep anyway she had this sword on her back which was bigger then her, and there she sat in her clothes licking blood off of her hands… ok really not the stereotypical girl right there right? I destroyed that when I went “to will this interest that side of the male audience.” I got so frustrated when I noticed that once again I had forgotten to draw her with breasts. So I threw it away… Which I immediately regretted doing because I was proud of her in all actuality. OH WELL! I'll just have to try again.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved