Media Megaforum

I f**king hate GLEE!
same at 2:05PM, May 26, 2010
(online)
Anyone else with me on this?
Main reasons i dont like it. The hype. When things get overhyped i tend to not want to watch them. A great example of this is Avatar. I couldnt enjoy the film because of the people who kept telling me how great it was and how amazing the effects where. To be honest. I didnt think they where that special. I tried watching glee with my girlfriend. the characters just annoy me to no end. Another thing is their covers. Theyre just taking popular old songs and sponging from their popularity. Like most other shows they jumped on the journey bandwagon. Like im not sick of hearing that by now. Another annoyance is the fanbase. Everyday i go into college to have to listen to some ass playing one of the songs they heard in glee. And to make it worse i think some people actually think theyre written by the writters.

So if your with me on the dislike of glee leave your reasons.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:20PM
Byth1 at 3:12PM, May 26, 2010
(online)
same
Main reasons i dont like it. The hype. When things get overhyped i tend to not want to watch them. A great example of this is Avatar.

Yay! Another person that thinks Avatar was over-hyped too! Anyway, I never watched Glee, read about it once. Guess I'm not into the “Musical” type stuff. I'll post again once I see a episode.
Updated every friday!
Updated every monday!
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:35AM
alwinbot at 3:31PM, May 26, 2010
(online)
Glee is slowly killing off the classics. And everybody's done Journey.

I mean, they made some electronic version of Safety Dance. That is unforgivable!
Read this comic. It is the greatest journal comic ever written and drawn. Trust me.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:50AM
JabberwockyJones at 4:51PM, May 26, 2010
(online)
I don't like Glee either, but it's better than yet another CSI spinoff or another show with more Doctors' F***ing each other in between solving improbable medical situations.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:05PM
Product Placement at 5:19PM, May 26, 2010
(online)
alwinbot
I mean, they made some electronic version of Safety Dance. That is unforgivable!
I've been hearing allot of hatred towards Glee for that one. I've only seen the first episode, after one of my friends grew a vagina and started getting all wet for that show. One thing that I'm thankful though is that shortly after that episode everybody was suddenly promoting the old version like crazy. In a way Glee managed to increase awareness on how to dance safely. :P

——–

I'm kinda curious to see how bad that Glee version is so I'm gonna youtube it now…

*cue the waiting music from Jeopardy*

…meh. Didn't like it.
JabberwockyJones
I don't like Glee either, but it's better than yet another CSI spinoff or another show with more Doctors' F***ing each other in between solving improbable medical situations.
Maybe they should create a show about a crime solving doctor. At day he cures lupus and strangely named tumors. At night he fights crime. Let's see if the comic books thought of that idea already.

.. ah! There's one:

And thus, the liberator was born!

I prefer Dr.McNinja. He's much cooler.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:52PM
ozoneocean at 10:52PM, May 26, 2010
(online)
Product Placement
.. ah! There's one:

And thus, the liberator was born!

And his secret power was doing show tunes and Doris Day impersonations…

“Liberator”, heh, the name fits perfectly. :)

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:36PM
BffSatan at 4:42AM, May 27, 2010
(online)
I just hate the show because of its awful title, it just sounds so phenomenally stupid.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:21AM
EssayBee at 6:54AM, May 27, 2010
(online)
Somehow, looking at the Liberator's costume just makes the line, “I got it square in the face!” that much funnier.

And my wife just started watching Glee last week. It's cute, but not something I'd tune into on my own. I was kind of annoyed that in the Gaga/KISS episode, they had a guy in Gene Simmon's makeup playing drums and a guy in Peter Criss's makeup playing guitar (or he might've just been singing–but he definitely wasn't playing drums), and a guy in Paul Stanley's makeup doing the tongue flicking. I'm not even a KISS fan, yet I knew they got all of that mixed up. Oh well. The KISS covers sounded crappy anyway, and the Gaga stuff didn't fare much better. And, not to be a total hater, of the 2 episodes I've seen, I did think the Glee coach/Neil Patrick Harris duet cover of “Dream On” by Aerosmith was pretty good. Of course, after Starship Troopers and the 2 Harold and Kumar movies, NPH has become pretty cool in my book.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:22PM
Air Raid Robertson at 1:08PM, May 27, 2010
(online)
To me, watching Glee is akin to staring at the cast of a third-rate Canadian soap opera play Rock Band. A version of Rock Band filled with AM radio garbage.

As you can guess, I don't really care for Glee either. I don't think any of the charatcers in the main cast are likable at all. Most of them are whiny, self-absorbed pricks. At the same time, however, they're all boring. You can populate your show with unlikable characters, but you have to make them interesting in some way.

I dislike the writing as well. The dialogue is obvious and terrible. There's not a single plot point that isn't telegraphed twenty minutes before it occurs. They also feel the need to shoehorn “morals” into the show, which I find extremely obnoxious.

Mediocre writing can be salvaged by good acting, but there isn't any to be seen here. Every line is either under-delivered or served up as hammy as can be. None of the actors have any chemistry with each other and most of them descend into caricatures. Grating, annoying caricatures.

There is a bit of self-awareness over the lame campiness of the whole thing, but to me that doesn't make it any better.

And yeah, I'm not entertained by kaeroke.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:48AM
GracehFaceh at 5:59PM, May 27, 2010
(online)
I'll admit I liked it the first season. Mainly cause it was light hearted and fun at first, but now it's veering too far into dramatic and even opinionated at times. though, mind you, most comedies these days tend to do that (Scrubs, The Office, etc.)

I watched it mainly for the dancing, like when they had the other dance team do a routine to “Rehab”, which is what got me watching it. The songs were eh. There were only a few of them I liked and I tired of them fast. The whole first season was pretty good, something to watch on a Wednesday night, but then the second season rolled in and I had absolutely no interest. I think they put too much story into the first season and then had nothing left over for the second.

The characters -are- annoying, but I thought they were all supposed to be stereotypes. At least it gave me the impression it was sort of a mock out of other shows aimed at teenagers like The Secret Life of the American Teenager and Degrassi. I'm probably wrong, but it was much more enjoyable when you looked at it that way.

I don't watch it anymore, though. My friends are obsessed, but since my family went on a Mad Men binge, all other shows have been ruined for me. :/
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:38PM
alwinbot at 7:03PM, May 27, 2010
(online)
GracehFaceh
I'll admit I liked it the first season. Mainly cause it was light hearted and fun at first, but now it's veering too far into dramatic and even opinionated at times. though, mind you, most comedies these days tend to do that (Scrubs, The Office, etc.)
The Office does it in a very clever way with the wording, and Scrubs has always had that kind of tragicomedy element to it. Glee is just so blatant and takes itself way too seriously sometimes.
Read this comic. It is the greatest journal comic ever written and drawn. Trust me.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:50AM
Freegurt at 9:15PM, May 27, 2010
(online)
You're all going to hate me for this, but I thoroughly enjoy Glee. I guess it's because I'm not very nit-picky with my songs. I like both the originals and the revamped ones on the show.

(But I also like me some musicals, so I guess that adds to it)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:31PM
same at 1:18AM, May 28, 2010
(online)
Freegurt
I thoroughly enjoy Glee.

Heres the door.

Freegurt at 9:00AM, May 28, 2010
(online)
same
Heres the door.

Hilarious.
Air Raid Robertson at 9:39AM, May 28, 2010
(online)
Do they have original songs on Glee?

I haven't seen that much, but all the songs I've heard were either pop hits, showtunes, or jazz standards. I've never heard an original song on that show.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:48AM
GracehFaceh at 4:56PM, May 28, 2010
(online)
alwinbot
GracehFaceh
The Office does it in a very clever way with the wording, and Scrubs has always had that kind of tragicomedy element to it. Glee is just so blatant and takes itself way too seriously sometimes.

The office was probably not a great example, since I do think they're trying to bring it back to its old glory. There was a duration of unfunny storyline there for a while, but the more recent episodes have been throughly hilarious.

However, I have seen every Scrubs episode from the start of season 1 to the finale and despite it starting out as a dramatic comedy, it's extremely evident that it had become more dramatically oriented by the end. Everyone had a baby, everyone was married, etc. It was a really unfortunate decline, though the finale was satisfying IMO.

Still, I feel the only difference between Glee and those other shows is that they have different target audiences. Glee is a little younger, and on a completely different network to boot.

Freegurt
You're all going to hate me for this, but I thoroughly enjoy Glee. I guess it's because I'm not very nit-picky with my songs. I like both the originals and the revamped ones on the show.

(But I also like me some musicals, so I guess that adds to it)

I agree with you in that respect, I'm also a big fan of musicals and I still enjoy when they do Broadway stuff, even though I rarely watch the actual episodes now. I especially liked when they did “Maybe This Time” from Cabaret when Kristin Chenoweth guest starred. :)

Air Raid Robertson
Do they have original songs on Glee?

I haven't seen that much, but all the songs I've heard were either pop hits, showtunes, or jazz standards. I've never heard an original song on that show.

No, they do not (At least I don't believe they have?) but that's because real Glee Clubs don't have the tendency to perform original songs as it is, so I figure they took advantage of that. At least that's what I've read about glee clubs. My school's glee club is a lot different, but I don't go to a public school so I don't know the standards.

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:38PM
Product Placement at 5:21PM, May 28, 2010
(online)
ozoneocean
That and beating up Nazis.

It's like you can't take a stroll down the street without encountering at least 50 of them.

…oh right. We're talking about Glee.

Silly show.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
I Am The 1337 Master at 6:00AM, May 29, 2010
(offline)
Same gets ten awesomeness points.

GEE, has terrible acting entirely and just all around a terrible feel to the show. None of the jokes are funny and the songs only seem great when in reality other people have done far better and can do the same things they have and they just don't get credit.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:54PM
ozoneocean at 10:00PM, May 29, 2010
(online)
Product Placement
ozoneocean
That and beating up Nazis.

It's like you can't take a stroll down the street without encountering at least 50 of them.
Hahaha, yes, a truly “smashing” fighter. ;)

I think he's entirely related to the subject at hand. He's a Star performer :)

ParkerFarker at 4:21AM, May 31, 2010
(online)
I like the woman couching the cheerleaders. She's pretty funny in the movies I've seen her in.

But uh yeah. Heard a funny joke about Glee.

Fans of the show “Glee” are going around calling themselves “gleeks”.

I, personally, prefer the term “cunts”.

“We are in the stickiest situation since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun.” - Blackadder
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:39PM
Freegurt at 8:29AM, May 31, 2010
(online)
ParkerFarker

Well now that's not very nice!

I can understand that not everyone is going to like it, just like everything else. There's just so much unbridled rage against it that it's actually kinda funny to me.

Well, if I'm going to be a cunt, I hope I'm a clean one.
ParkerFarker at 5:11AM, June 1, 2010
(online)
Freegurt
ParkerFarker

Well now that's not very nice!

I can understand that not everyone is going to like it, just like everything else. There's just so much unbridled rage against it that it's actually kinda funny to me.

Well, if I'm going to be a cunt, I hope I'm a clean one.
yeah it's pretty mean. I didn't make it up. Just shared it. Which is just as bad, I guess.

And I have seen a few episodes of it, my sister likes it, but I really only watch it for that cheerleader coach. She is funny as balls. If these balls were very humourous.

“We are in the stickiest situation since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun.” - Blackadder
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:39PM
Product Placement at 5:30AM, June 1, 2010
(online)
ParkerFarker
And I have seen a few episodes of it, my sister likes it, but I really only watch it for that cheerleader coach. She is funny as balls. If these balls were very humourous.
The reasoning behind her as some sort of arch nemesis looked awfully stretched to me.

“Goodness! A bunch of social outcasts are forming a song club and aren't receiving any funding from the school! This has absolutely nothing to do with my cheerleading squad and thus shouldn't concern me at all. I better do everything in my power to crush their dreams.”

Really?

And what's up with this “Jocks rule, everything else… uhm… sucks” theme that I always see in ANYTHING that has to do with a representation of the American High school system. The sports elite are always depicted as moronic deucebags who bully just about everyone else and yet are considered to be social elites. I'm sorry but human interaction doesn't work that way.

I mean, beating up a kid in a wheelchair?

Really?

I'm amazed that they didn't have them crucify Christ while they were at it, just to really hammer it in that they were the bad guys.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
Freegurt at 9:39AM, June 1, 2010
(online)
Product Placement
And what's up with this “Jocks rule, everything else… uhm… sucks” theme that I always see in ANYTHING that has to do with a representation of the American High school system. The sports elite are always depicted as moronic deucebags who bully just about everyone else and yet are considered to be social elites. I'm sorry but human interaction doesn't work that way.

I mean, beating up a kid in a wheelchair?

Really?

I'm amazed that they didn't have them crucify Christ while they were at it, just to really hammer it in that they were the bad guys.

When I was in school and I saw shows about high school, I'd be so confused that all the cheerleaders and jocks were popular douche bags. My school was nothing like that. The cheerleaders were really nice and I was actually friends with most of them, the jocks were nice and humble because they never won any games in over 30 years.

In my school the ‘jocks’ were the drama jocks. The kids who were in the musicals and plays that were douches. And the ‘cheerleaders’ were the choir kids. They would get up all in your business if you couldn't sing.

And the really popular kids? They were the nice ones who got good grades. The douches were generally left alone and ignored. I don't know how everyone else's school was like, but that was mine.
Product Placement at 10:08AM, June 1, 2010
(online)
Freegurt
I don't know how everyone else's school was like, but that was mine.
Pretty much the standard system. Many social circles formed around various interests, some of the people stood out and thus were considered more popular then others. If you were an asshole you were known as the asshole and not generally liked.

The highschools where I live are kinda funny though. They don't have big sports teams, like the American ones so there's no such thing as jocks and cheerleaders. The closest equivalent of that is the annual quiz show where each team represents one of the high schools in the country. It has a huge following and is very popular among families and teens. Talk about a complete mirror opposite, huh?
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
ozoneocean at 1:08AM, June 2, 2010
(online)
Product Placement
Freegurt
I don't know how everyone else's school was like, but that was mine.
The highschools where I live are kinda funny though. They don't have big sports teams
Yeah, same. My schools didn't have any “teams”, so that jocks/cheerleaders thing didn't apply in any sense.
Kids who were really, really into sport of various kinds were also good academic achievers too- generally they cam from wealthier backgrounds. The rougher, meaner kids weren't interested in any school stuff, least of all sport- these came from poorer backgrounds mostly. If sporter achiever types wanted to bully anyone, the rougher kids would completely flatten them. I hung with both and all in between.

I always wondered about that American media Highschool paradigm. Does it really exist? And if it does, is that because in some American schools there's a really important sport system that's almost separate or parallel to the academic one, so that students that don't show much academic aptitude can use sports as an alternative path to success within the school system?

JabberwockyJones at 7:26AM, June 2, 2010
(online)
I can't speak for every highschool out there, but it works something like this at my school.

The “Popular” kids are the party kids. They ain't just jocks, but a lot of them are. These kids aren't complete douches. There are a lot who are nice. Typical teenager stuff. It's pree' much expected to drink if you're a party person. You don't get excluded for not drinking, but people make fun of you for it. No one acknowledges popular-unpopular power struggles, although there is a sense of “We're better than you because we have more friends.” They listen to the mainstream stuff, MTV, Glee blah blah blah. It's annoying but it doesn't mean they're all dumb as a rock.

Outside this, there are the average kids which is pretty much the other half of the school. They have circles of friends and generally they don't fuck with other groups of people. There aren't any groups like the Goths or the Skaters or anything like that. It's more like a mish mash of every group within these various circles. Oh, except for the stoners. Nobody likes the stoners.

So people are jerks to each other, but it isn't black and white like that. The party kids are equally mocked by the regular groups and vice versa. Douchebaggery exists everywhere. The only group that really tolerates it are the party kids, and that's mostly because the douches are hilarious when they're making fun of other people.

I tolerate Glee, but I avoid watching it for this reason. Everyone is neatly filed into their own little group. It doesn't work like that at all. -_-
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:05PM
same at 11:48AM, June 2, 2010
(online)
It gets on my nerves how much hype there is for it.
I Am The 1337 Master at 12:34PM, June 2, 2010
(offline)
ParkerFarker
“gleeks”.
gleekv. to squirt liquid (including saliva) through the teeth or from under the tongue; less commonly, squirting saliva directly from the saliva glands or expelling liquid through the sinuses.

http://www.doubletongued.org/index.php/dictionary/gleek/
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:54PM
Product Placement at 4:57PM, June 2, 2010
(online)
I Am The 1337 Master
Gleeking
Hey! I know how to do that!
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved