carlos is a racist joke stealing comedian
i wish they would have just fist fight in the end

J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:01PM
SpANG at 9:57AM, Feb. 15, 2007
(online)
subcultured
i wish they would have just fist fight in the end
Joe Rogan is a taekwondo master. That would have been a short fight.

Interesting stuff, thanks.

I've lost a lot if respect as well for Rogan since “Fear Factor” though.
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:52PM
subcultured at 10:09AM, Feb. 15, 2007
(online)
yes, maybe just a beatdown of carlos would have sufficed

i never really got into fear factor, i give him props for making UFC fights entertaining. the other UFC commentor is just plain annoying.
J
ccs1989 at 12:46PM, Feb. 15, 2007
(online)
I have a couple of friends who are obsessed with Carlos Mencia. They buy the boxsets of his show, watch it every night, and actually went to see his show in person once. When I told one of them that I didn't really like Carlos Mencia's stuff, he told me it was because I wasn't Mexican, and therefore could never truly understand Mencia's “genius”.

But overall Carlos Mencia strikes me as a jerk cashing in on stereotypes and racism, who does absolutely nothing to break the Mexican stereotype. Newsflash: Anyone in a lower socio-economic status who doesn't see a way out of it is going to act differently than someone in a higher socio-economic bracket. Mencia just makes it seem like people of different races are always going to be there, although he himself is a Mexican who makes a good deal of money.

However I don't think Mencia was always a jerk. He had a Comedy Special on Comedy Central that I saw once and I really did think was funny. But he had to lower the level of his humor and wit in order to cater to the demographic which he was going for with “Mind of Mencia”. The whole shock value attitude on that show really bugs me. And even though they go for that, it doesn't work out. Nothing is ever really funny on MoM.

I dunno, maybe it was the suits and Comedy Central that made his show suck, and he's just being taken advantage of. Wouldn't be the first time.
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:38AM
subcultured at 3:17PM, Feb. 15, 2007
(online)
i looked up the utube version of joe vs carlos and this came up
www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnTRSetqvvQ

“This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Carlos Mencia”
hahaha watta douche

carlos is doing some damage control, good thing i saved a copy of it on my hardrive
J
ccs1989 at 3:46PM, Feb. 15, 2007
(online)
Haha, that's crazy. At least Google video still has it.
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:38AM
Terminal at 3:49PM, Feb. 15, 2007
(online)
I went to see that Punisher tour that he headlined. The three comedians before him were funnier. I dunno, he has this habit of talking down and repeating the joke which makes the joke oh so unfunnier.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:11PM
Inkmonkey at 5:35PM, Feb. 15, 2007
(online)
One thing that bothered me, listening to some of his shows on an internet comedy station, was that, if a joke didn't go over well, he got angry and accused his audience of being racist. Basically, his “stupid white guy” gags are basically unoriginal and stupid, and since he has no real perspective on it (as compared to his first-hand experience with Mexican culture) his jokes don't actually make that much sense. So, being weaker jokes, they get a weaker response, and Carlos uses that as a means to support his “everyone is racist” slant he uses to justify his style of humor.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:59PM
subcultured at 6:07PM, Feb. 15, 2007
(online)
if propagating racism is funny, then hitler is a great stand up comedian

mencia makes me sick. he's just a tv whore trying to make money off his lame racist jokes. if a white guy talks about other people onstage the crowd goes silent, but if a person of color talks about other races, they get to sell off DVDs and get million dollar deals.

that happening in a country that strive to have equality, just pisses on MLK's dream.

to mencia: stop being racist,you ignorant asshole!
J
Inkmonkey at 6:53PM, Feb. 15, 2007
(online)
I don't mind the racist content, but the fact that it's blindly racist, instead of finding real humor in the differences between races, be they cultural or physical. Mencia found, at some point in his career, that people would remember his racially motivated work, because other people weren't doint it, so he started to piggy-back on that, instead of to develop it. People like Dave Chappelle, or Paul Mooney, or… well, I could list for a while, but the point is, a good comedian can write a joke that is racist; a bad comedian (i.e.: Mencia) will come up with an idea that's racist and force a joke out of it. Especially on his show, I feel he must have some sort of “quota” for race-related humor, so whether or not he (or one of his writers) can think up a good joke to go with it, something racist has to be happening on a fairly regular basis.
subcultured at 7:13PM, Feb. 15, 2007
(online)
here's a shocker that I just learn

carlos mencia is not even mexican.
his real name is Ned Holness, he's Honduran and German.

he's trying to pass himself off as mexican so he can do “beaner” jokes

urban dictionary says :
“Beaner”, Noun; 1. A person of hispanic origin, usually a Mexican who supposibly eats beans, especially a recent illegal immigrant. 2. A racist term for a person of hispanic origin, again, usually for a Mexican.

that goes to show you, that this guy is fraud.
I guess he couldn't come up with funny racist jokes about hondurans or german people.

weak, dude
just weak.
J
Inkmonkey at 7:37PM, Feb. 15, 2007
(online)
I don't entirely blame him for that. From my understanding he was basically raised in LA, in a very Mexican neighborhood. He was, essentially, raised as a “beaner”, whether or not he meets some peoples' criteria for it or not.

Personally, I don't think Mencia steals material. Because, basically, if all his material was stolen, then I'm pretty sure he would actually be funny. If you're going to steal, you obviously want to steal good jokes, right? Someone whose entire bit was stolen would be some kinda comedy Amazo, with only the best of the best. From what I can see, if Mencia is stealing, then either he has really shitty taste, or he deliberately picks the less-than-gret jokes to stay “under the radar”.
subcultured at 8:01PM, Feb. 15, 2007
(online)
george lopez talks about mencia stealing 13 min of his material on mencia's HBO's special. HBO took it off the air after lopez talked to them

also talks about how lopez beatdown mencia at a comedy club
http://www.redban.com/audio/lopez.mp3
J
kingofsnake at 6:13AM, Feb. 16, 2007
(online)
I too hate carlos mencia.

I hate him alot.

so much so my vocabulary fails me
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:15PM
SpANG at 3:53PM, Feb. 16, 2007
(online)
subcultured
i looked up the utube version of joe vs carlos and this came up
www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnTRSetqvvQ

“This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Carlos Mencia”
He didn't film it, produce it, or edit it. Yet, he claims ownership. Sounds like Mencia to me.;)

FYI, other joke stealers = Dane Cook and Dennis Leary.

To be fair, Mencia never said he was Mexican. He said Honduran all the time. Though I didn't know he was half German too.
ozoneocean at 3:59PM, Feb. 16, 2007
(online)
kingofsnake
so much so my vocabulary fails me
Looks like you might be stealing that from Mencia. lol!
I've never heard of him before but his defining trait seems to be a singular lack of vocabulary. His arguning technique consists of 3 main repeated phrases:

1. “You're whining like a little bitch!”
2. “You know what? You know what?”
3. “Bull shit! Bull shit!”

Move over Oscar Wilde.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:26PM
Inkmonkey at 5:47PM, Feb. 16, 2007
(online)
See, Cook and Leary meet my “Amazo” criteria. They've both got their downsides, but they've got some comedic gold; and apparently an amount of it is just someone else's best stuff. I can believe that.
subcultured at 6:07PM, Feb. 16, 2007
(online)
i agree, dane is the man

he's very descriptive so it feels like your there just through him speaking
http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/H2tZTkejXUs
J
SpANG at 6:15PM, Feb. 16, 2007
(online)
so it's okay if they steal material, as long as they execute it well?

Pssshhhh. I hear that ALL THE TIME.

Look, Mencia has original stuff, too. If you don't like him for other reasons that's fine, but you can't bash one and praise another for doing the same damn thing.

I personally think they are all derivative, trite, and stupid.
subcultured at 6:25PM, Feb. 16, 2007
(online)
that bit wasn't stolen
i know dane stole the “baby punching” bit
which i wish he didn't…lost a bit of respect when i learn that
J
SpANG at 6:30PM, Feb. 16, 2007
(online)
Louis C.K.'s “Itchy Asshole,” “Guy On A Bike,” and “Naming Kids.”

Cook ripped these off for Retaliation. These are “Itchy Asshole,” “Struck By A Vehicle,” and “My Son Optimus Prime,” respectively.
subcultured at 2:27PM, Feb. 17, 2007
(online)
lol
Someone
Joe Rogan vs.Carlos Mencia continues: Rogan dropped by The Gersh Agency

Times Herald-Record
February 16, 2007

Joe Rogan refuses to apologize to Carlos Mencia for confronting him onstage about stealing other comedians' material. The incident, which was captured on video, has resulted in Rogan's being dropped by his talent agent at The Gersh Agency .

According to a post on www.joerogan.net, Rogan says the two comedians were represented by the same person, who told Rogan was forced to make a decision between the former “Fear Factor” host and “Mind of Mencia” star.

“My agent from the Gersh agency, who is the same guy that represents Carlos, spoke to me on the phone today,” Rogan wrote. “He told me that he was being ‘put in the middle of this thing, and forced to make a choice.’ He said that Carlos wanted to get on the phone with me and end this once and for all, and get this… wanted an apology.”

“I hung up the phone and laughed out loud. A real, hard, pleasure filled laugh,” Rogan continued. “Now can you IMAGINE if I was a young, struggling comic and all this s*** went down? THAT is the really ugly part of it.”
J
Inkmonkey at 3:07PM, Feb. 17, 2007
(online)
I've enjoyed Cook, in his own way, but I've never really respected him. It sucks that he's getting all this attention with the material he steals, but I really don't have a gauge for how well he's doing. I know at the very least he doesn't have his own show.

I was shocked to find that Leary stole from Hicks, but at the least (as far as I can tell) he doesn't steal anymore. I wouldn't be surprised if he buys jokes from other comedians (since he should have the money for that now), but I'm pretty sure he's all original now (not that it matters, since he seems to be an “actor” now instead of a comedian). I'm pretty sure “No Cure for Cancer” was the only performance with so much of it stolen. Heh, though it really is his best work; not soo good when left to his own devices, it seems.

Personally, I hate Carlos Mencia for being a terrible performer, and for the fact that he's succeeded in a way that he doesn't deserve. The theft contributes to this hate, but in the end Mencia is just a horrible person, and the theft is just a more tangible form of that aspect of him.
Kristen Gudsnuk at 12:08AM, Feb. 20, 2007
(online)
yeah, I saw part of an episode of MoM once ( haha… mom…) and it just depressed me. It was him being like, “the reason why mexican people can't get jobs is because they have accents! It's not a yoke, it's a joke! hahaha!!”
I don't know… I have a really soft spot in my heart for people who speak Spanish. Really, really soft spot. I love spanish. it's my favorite language (weirdly, since it's not my first language… but then, I *did* grow up with my whole family babbling in a strange dialect of castellano… when I was younger and I heard my mom being like, “por que?” I'd always be like… “porky pig! haha!” )
so I agree though, Mencia sucks. >: (
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:22PM
subcultured at 7:31AM, Feb. 20, 2007
(online)
he's a honduran who is racist to mexicans
i don't think he's ever done a honduran racist joke…just a lot of “beaner” jokes

disgusting fellow.
J
kingofsnake at 2:03PM, Feb. 21, 2007
(online)
I finally got a chance to watch this video.

Doesn't he remind you of that kid you knew in elementary school, who always just tacked himself on to your group of friends, and got all defensive as soon as you called him on what a douchebag he was, even if in just a teasing way?

The thing is, I really don't like Joe Rogan, as a comedian, but as just a person, I think he's hilarious.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:15PM
Phantom Penguin at 2:11PM, Feb. 21, 2007
(offline)
I've never seen any of Rogan's stand up. But i have 10x more respect for him then someone who steals jokes.

What i thought was funny is Mencia points to Ari Shaffir and says “Hes Jewish, jews don't make racist jokes!”

Ari Shaffir is known as THE AMAZING RACIST. No, no racist jokes at all Carlos….sorry, i mean Ned.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:42PM
KomradeDave at 3:11PM, Feb. 21, 2007
(online)
Definitely does racists jokes, and very likely a thief (it's possible for similar jokes to come from different sources, but his are a little too similar). I never really cared for most of Mencia's stuff, but he has a good one here or there. The real problem is wading through the crap to get to the decent material, which is more than I usually want to manage.

What I don't see is how it matters what his name is. His name is Ned Mencia. He has gone by Ned Holness. His mother is Honduran. His father may be Honduran, but of German descent. He grew up in LA and is beaner by association, if not by blood. I have a Honduran mother and a white father, I'm still considered a frijolero. I could honestly care less that he's making beaner jokes. Mexican and beaner aren't the same thing. What offends me about Mencia isn't really his racially charged humor either, if written well that material can be funny and important. What offends me instead is his lack of decent material. His show consists of: Asians can't drive, Black people love chicken, White people can't take controversy, Hispanics are either industrious as hell or lazy as hell. When it is pointed out that his jokes fall short of well written satire or social commentary, he plays the racist card and claims he's just too controversial.

That's the problem with Mencia, he can't defend his own material beyond “You don't want to hear the truth!” When there's little truth to be found.
Handshakes and mustaches are the only ways to know how much you can truly trust a man.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:20PM
subcultured at 3:27PM, Feb. 21, 2007
(online)
it's kinda weird to have exceptions…you know if ned holness looked more german than honduran, he couldnt get away with his jokes on cable

people would boycott it like crazy and call CC a racist network. but if it's a person of color people would just thing “ehhhh they were oppressed. so they can say racist jokes”

lets see ari get a show on tv as “the amazing racist”…lets see all the lawsuits and people getting mad.

seems wrong to me. like reverse racism.
J
ozoneocean at 3:31PM, Feb. 21, 2007
(online)
Interesting KomradeDave!

One point I loved about the vid though was that the Mencia guy was saying a Jewish guy would never make a joke about a wall separating peoples… (as a defence for a lame joke theft). As if that dumb fence was the only one ever built for fuck's sake! What about the ones in Israel they're putting up, or the old Berlin wall, etc. The Mencia guy is just too stupid and ignorant to be interesting.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:26PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved