Debate and Discussion

I have a friend who does weed...
Yumitaro at 6:02PM, May 12, 2010
(offline)
And he kinda, well, i kinda agreed to JUST ONCE! because he has for awhile and he does it once every two weeks or so and he has to cravings.. me neither.. I realize it was a bad choice but it was his birthday so was it THAT bad of a choice, its not even THAT bad for you… Is it?
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:53PM
same at 6:13PM, May 12, 2010
(online)
Everyone trys these things atleast once in their life. Just dont let anyone know and try to stay off the stuff. I mean really. Hours of laughing at nothing and continuously asking what isnt really that fun. It is bad for you(like smoking anything). It can lead to cancer and all this crap about “weed isnt as bad as cigarettes” is rubbish. Cannabis resin contains vinyl a lot of the time meaning youre inhaling toxic fumes into your body. I myself am a smoker and have smoked cannabis for about 2 years. I've quit it for a year and a half now. I'm kinda glad too. I wouldnt have money otherwise. Not that i have much now anyway. Its also not worth it. Most of the time cannabis smokers don't get noticable cravings. They may just take it in routine. Its not as addictive as cigarettes and to some people not addictive at all. Although its up to the person. If you liked it do what you want. If you didn't, just quit.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:20PM
Mr_Broccoli at 6:22PM, May 12, 2010
(offline)
Oh, Well it is actully bad for you, Very bad but thats if you do it constantly, im surprised your friend feals no craving but like Same said if you like laughing at everything just keep doing it, But please do not use it to get rid of stress, you will become automatically addicted, But yet Same, Technically Cigaretts are worse if you only use the weed once in a while, But yes it can lead to cancer which is why if you HAVE too do it then use a vaporizer or something because otherwise you could die, Do not ever buy it off the streets cuz they probally and usually mix stuff with it.
RAWWWR!
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:08PM
kyupol at 9:20PM, May 12, 2010
(online)
The CIA ships the drugs in

http://www.ciadrugs.com/

Then when you're caught with it, they throw you in jail.

NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:27PM
Orin J Master at 10:44PM, May 12, 2010
(online)
bloody hells, kyypol did you actually read that or are you just take with their URL?

it cites letters sent to congress by the webhost as proof they committed crimes. if that was any more suspect a case there'd be mention of a leprechaun there somewhere.

anyways, legally it was wrong but really with cannibus the main consideration is being able to trust where it came from. since it's a plant and not some compound made in a lab (well, if you call a bunch of bottles in some guy's trailer a lab) it's usually safer, but some people will spike it to make it seem more potent, and these aren't professional chemists we're talking about.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:22PM
Kroatz at 3:21PM, May 14, 2010
(online)
I'm from the Netherlands, a country in which the ditribution and use of drugs, especially weed, is bound to less strict laws than most other countries have. It's legal to do weed here, as long as it is indoors and not in public places or restaurants. Other countries don't like the Netherlands because of these laws.

I myself have never used any kinds of drugs besides Alcohol an caffeine, I'm even carefull in the use of aspirin and other similar products. I have been present while other people used drugs (Once even at school) and have seen the effects firsthand. Weed just makes you stupid for a while, it doesn't have any more negative aspects to it than cigarettes, even though it isn't all that good for your health in higher doses.

Because of the good feeling you get from weed it's easy to get addicted to it, like some people are addicted to food, candy, coffee and alcohol. In America it's probably even easier to get hooked on it because the weed distributed there is of inferior quality than the weed here.

The point of this mini-rant is that smoking weed isn't really all that bad, it should be a choice. If you've violated the law by smoking weed then it's a bad law, you're not a bad person just because you did drugs.

I think tht if weed would be legalised… Heck if all drugs would be legalised that it would not only reduce the number of casualties it takes every year in drug busts and similar operations. It would also reduce the number of people that Over Dose because people would get proper instructions when buying the stuff. The quality would probably increase too because when legalised there can be actual companies improving the drugs instead of small time criminals growing their own weed.
Comidion.deviantart.com
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:24PM
BffSatan at 2:12AM, May 16, 2010
(online)
It's not that bad for you.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:21AM
isukun at 7:44AM, May 16, 2010
(online)
Heck if all drugs would be legalised that it would not only reduce the number of casualties it takes every year in drug busts and similar operations.

Sure, the crime rate would go down if you make drugs legal, but I'm sure the increased casualties from people ODing on the hard stuff or just freaking out and killing or hurting others would more than make up for it. I think legalizing marijuana would do a lot to reduce the need for drug dealers and in general is a good idea, but legalizing all drugs wouldn't be a good or even half way responsible move. There is no responsible way of dealing with drugs like heroin, coccaine, and PCP. The major issues those drugs present have little to do with purity.

I also wouldn't say the weed in the US is necessarily of lower quality. Since the legalization of medicinal marijuana in some states, it has started to become more common for people to aquire the substance through legal, regulated sources. Even the people who get it illegally are often getting it second hand from someone with a prescription, these days (they give prescriptions out like candy out here in California).
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:05PM
Kroatz at 2:29PM, June 3, 2010
(online)
Crime rates would indeed go down, and I think that if it becomes legal to do drugs it will also make it easier for a government to give PROPER instructions on how to use drugs.
Comidion.deviantart.com
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:24PM
Hawk at 4:44PM, June 3, 2010
(online)
I don't follow that. You think that if drugs were legal, people would listen to the government on how to use them and how much to use?
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:47PM
blindsk at 6:12PM, June 3, 2010
(online)
Where the government leaves off, the black market takes over.

Sustaining the laws “protecting” us from harsh drugs facilitates violence as well. I had a friend that I watched venture into the harder stuff (heroine) and now she's forever tied to her drug lord. If she runs, she's putting her life in mortal danger. I used to think this only happened to a select few individuals, but it's more common than you think. When dealing with illegal products, I doubt the dealers will think twice about performing illegal acts. Plus, the general public as it stands now has little respect for people that head down this road.

In short, whether these drugs are illegal or not, unnecessary death will be a consequence. I guess for me it just comes down to which is riskier.

And on the topic of weed, it's alright for the conscientious user. And by that I mean the user that moderates themselves and doesn't abuse it (like most things!). The only reason I wouldn't condone it is for respiratory reasons. If you're a vocalist, athlete, or do any sort of aerobic exercise, prolonged use of it will be harmful.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:25AM
ozoneocean at 9:31PM, June 3, 2010
(online)
Hawk
Kroatz
Crime rates would indeed go down, and I think that if it becomes legal to do drugs it will also make it easier for a government to give PROPER instructions on how to use drugs.
I don't follow that. You think that if drugs were legal, people would listen to the government on how to use them and how much to use?
Well Kroatz is Dutch and living in the Netherlands, so he may have more insight than us into that aspect.
blindsk
Where the government leaves off, the black market takes over.

Sustaining the laws “protecting” us from harsh drugs facilitates violence as well.
Very true.
I'm of the opinion that regulation is easier on everyone than enforcement.

The spectre of addicts is pretty sad, but the monster of the illegal narcotic industry is many times worse. Look at the massive death toll all throughout northern Mexico! Whole families slaughtered, people beheaded in the street… and it gets worse and worse, all because the illegal drug market in the US makes these stupid narcotics so enormously valuable.

Inherently the various illegal narcotics have a reasonably low value, when looked at in terms of the land you need to grow them, the labour, the processing, the transport, and the small percentage of any population that make up the market. The humongous value is entirely artificially inflated by their rarity and the danger involved in supplying them caused by their illegal status as well as the vicious nature of the enforcement that attempts to curtail the supply and production.

It's very sad and even a little tragically funny that the very efforts used to prevent the drug problem are directly responsible for making it so much worse.
-(mainly talking about cocaine and heroine, and their derivatives)

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:36PM
I wanna be a Marysue at 10:09PM, June 3, 2010
(offline)
I haven't tried it, but I don't think there's anything wrong with occasionally using it. Its bad for you… but if its used once in a while as a treat, its probably not going to do much damage.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:55PM
same at 12:55AM, June 4, 2010
(online)
1:Legalize weed
2:Get more tourism
3:????
4:Profit
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:20PM
blindsk at 2:39AM, June 4, 2010
(online)
ozoneocean
The spectre of addicts is pretty sad, but the monster of the illegal narcotic industry is many times worse. Look at the massive death toll all throughout northern Mexico! Whole families slaughtered, people beheaded in the street… and it gets worse and worse, all because the illegal drug market in the US makes these stupid narcotics so enormously valuable.

Geeze, this is rather eye-opening. Sad to see that stuff like this also exists on a global level. I wonder how many places in South America also have things like this going on.

Not to deviate too much, but I wonder what it's like in East Asian countries. I have a friend that recently visited Japan, is a heavy smoker (weed), complained about having such a hard time getting a hold of any. He went into withdrawals.

Genejoke at 10:46AM, June 4, 2010
(online)
Someone
I think tht if weed would be legalised… Heck if all drugs would be legalised that it would not only reduce the number of casualties it takes every year in drug busts and similar operations. It would also reduce the number of people that Over Dose because people would get proper instructions when buying the stuff. The quality would probably increase too because when legalised there can be actual companies improving the drugs instead of small time criminals growing their own weed.

In theory that sounds great, but I can see there being a lot of fallout.

The thing is people are idiots.

legalise everything and I think there is a very serious chance it would actually increase the amount of people trying it 100 fold and overdosing will get worse not better. Britain has a serious problem with binge drinking, drugs also play a part but if legal then they will play a bigger part and that would get down right messy.

It is an arguement that has bothered me for a long time and I do not think either option works but is it worth the risk of trying?
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:33PM
Snevilly at 10:15PM, June 4, 2010
(online)
Realistically, if you're just trying it the once don't worry about it. There aren't any long term effects that are going to haunt you later (except for getting caught, maybe, but that didn't happen, so you're good.)

As far as all this other stuff goes, I don't think everything should be legalized, but I'm pretty sure pot will be decriminalized or legal in the next five years. I'm not really an anti government nut or anything, but personally I'll tell anyone to F-off if I feel like they're telling me I'm not allowed to do something and its not really dangerous to myself and those around me. I see good reasons for why PCP or heroine would be illegal. However, to me, pot is about the same as liquor (except without the hangover). Sure, you could maybe get cancer if you smoke like a train, (unless you use a vaporizer, like Mr. Broccoli said) but I could also KILL my liver by drinking like a fish.

My mom (Who's, ironically, a very conservative Christian woman) believes that certain drugs AND prostitution should be legalized, though controlled, and taxed. We know people are going to do what they're going to do no mater what is legal or illegal. Make the best out of a bad situation peoples. There's no Utopian answer that will fix all the problems. We just try to do the best we can with what we have.

Also, to Kroatz, just because its legal doesn't mean we'll get educated on it. Look at the sex education we have right now. I'm betting that will still be regional and therefore, dumb. (“Oh now, mista, you're in the wrong state to learn about proper birth control. Here we like to keep ‘em ignant. Its like a surprise that way!” I’m from Texas, by the way.) Education is still the the hands of those that want it.

And to Hawk, no more or less than anyone who doesn't exactly follow the directions on any other controlled substance…like bleach…or pine-sol…or cough meds. Ever taking Pepto Bismol? Does anyone ever pay attention to ‘those’ dosing requirements? I chug like half the bottle. And when I'm using those scary cleaning products, I don't measure exactly…I just kinda go by how it looks. And its its really messy, sure, I'll up the concentration beyond the recommended usage…and open the windows, lol. I think a lot of people would be “near” the suggestions. I also do know some that wouldn't be near it, but then I know there are people like me who have low tolerances and would be under it….

I would rather smoke pot any day than take antidepressants which, “Can cause depression or thoughts of suicide,” lulz.

Oh, and I should state now that I in no way endorse participating in illegal activities. I really don't. Well, except maybe loitering and jaywalking.

Anyways, my humor is a little weird, so please, no one take any offence to anything I said. Much like we shouldn't drink and drive, some of us should have a few shots and brows the DD forums. =D
One or two of them might just make you giggle: My Instagram, project Blog, and RPG Blog
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:49PM
Sea_Cow at 8:55PM, June 5, 2010
(offline)
It's pretty well established that dro is harmless. You should be less worried for your friend's health than for anybody you know who drinks alcohol.
I am so happy to finally be back home
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:27PM
Genejoke at 1:45AM, June 6, 2010
(online)
Sea_Cow
It's pretty well established that dro is harmless. You should be less worried for your friend's health than for anybody you know who drinks alcohol.

Assuming dro means weed then, no it isn't harmless. okay it will do less to your physical health than alcohol or tobacco but since it is often taken with tobacco and the mental health issues I think it is stupid to call it harmless. Most of the paople who argue the hardest for it to be legalized are ideal poster boys for why it should stay illegal. I know many people who do it or have done it and less than five including myself are not mentally ill as a result.

If it was harmless it would be legal.

The fact it isn't as bad in some ways as the other two is why it is so hotly debated.

AS for it being legalized within five years, not in england, no chance. People have been saying that for years and as it was reclassified recently I can't see it happening in the next 20 years.
isukun at 9:55AM, June 6, 2010
(online)
I know many people who do it or have done it and less than five including myself are not mentally ill as a result.

You sure that's from the drug and not just their lives? I know quite a few smokers, myself, and none of them are mentally ill, from the MJ or otherwise. Drug seeking behavior is often a symptom of deeper underlying conditions.
Sea_Cow at 8:20PM, June 6, 2010
(offline)
Genejoke
If it was harmless it would be legal.

That statement is so adorable. Weed was illegalized decades ago because it was manufactured outside of the U.S. and as a result harder to tax, and that was back when smoking tobacco was supposed to be totally harmless. So, yeah.

Genejoke
Assuming dro means weed then, no it isn't harmless. okay it will do less to your physical health than alcohol or tobacco but since it is often taken with tobacco and the mental health issues I think it is stupid to call it harmless. Most of the paople who argue the hardest for it to be legalized are ideal poster boys for why it should stay illegal. I know many people who do it or have done it and less than five including myself are not mentally ill as a result.

I have never in my life smoked tobacco with weed. I don't even know what the point of that would be or where you heard that happens “often”. Also, when you say “mental health issues”, what do you mean? It gets you high. Alcohol disorients people, causes brain damage, and in my experience almost always leads to some degree of alcoholism and depression. Weed does not do any of these things. Sure, while you take it you'll probably be lazy, and if you take it all the time you'll end up a slacker, but you won't have any severe mental health defects. One more thing, “paople who argue the hardest for it are ideal poster boys for why it should stay illegal” I've spelled all my words correctly and used proper grammar in these posts, friend. Keep that in mind.
Snevilly at 5:29AM, June 7, 2010
(online)
I also giggled at the, “If it was harmless it would be legal,” statement. Did you know that if you flip someone the bird, in public, in many places in Texas, they can fine you $100? Did you know there are certain cities in California that have made it illegal to smoke in your car with your windows down? You should Google wacky laws.

I also have never met anyone who blends their weed with tobacco. Thats a waste of weed unless they're using a hookah. And to keep it simplified Drow is a quality of weed, I think. And there are weed alternatives that have the same effect, but maybe a little weaker (I've never tried them), that are perfectly legal, but they ARE made in a chem lab somewhere.

Many of the smartest, most resourceful, people I know smoke it. Actually, you'd probably be surprised to know who smokes it, despite the fact that its illegal. Many of the upstanding citizens in my community are major pot heads, lol. I wouldn't say they have any particular “disorders” or “mental illness” as a result. They have careers, are active in the community and all that jazz.

Now, I do know a lot of other types of drug users who ALSO use weed, but they're also using something scary like meth. They have mental problems and definitely can't function in society.

I'm certainly not speaking for all of the users out there, but I've lived all over the US and this is what I've observed from those particular places.

Oh yeah, and the whole, “I think it'll be legal in the next 5 years,” thing was referring to the state of Texas. We're a red state, but I think we're also a green state…

Sorry…I really couldn't help the pun.
One or two of them might just make you giggle: My Instagram, project Blog, and RPG Blog
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:49PM
Genejoke at 2:21PM, June 8, 2010
(online)
depression and schizophrenia are commonly linked with it and I have seen it in many cases.
Yes there are people who have enough sense to do it in moderation and not suffer ill effects, some do it more and get away scot free as well. I know I did, same with alcohol and smoking.

Someone
Weed does not do any of these things. Sure, while you take it you'll probably be lazy, and if you take it all the time you'll end up a slacker, but you won't have any severe mental health defects.
The problem is a lot people do end up doing it all the time and do end up suffering depression or worse.

Someone
“paople who argue the hardest for it are ideal poster boys for why it should stay illegal” I've spelled all my words correctly and used proper grammar in these posts, friend. Keep that in mind.

wow I made a typo woo hoo, that means nothing. Your arguments are inaccurate and while alcohol is worse it would be far harder to make that illegal now, prohibition, heard of that?

Someone
That statement is so adorable. Weed was illegalized decades ago because it was manufactured outside of the U.S. and as a result harder to tax, and that was back when smoking tobacco was supposed to be totally harmless. So, yeah.

Uh huh, the US is not the only place it is illegal, so that argument doesn't stand up to much.

Someone
also giggled at the, “If it was harmless it would be legal,” statement. Did you know that if you flip someone the bird, in public, in many places in Texas, they can fine you $100? Did you know there are certain cities in California that have made it illegal to smoke in your car with your windows down? You should Google wacky laws.

yeah there are stupid laws everywhere. This is not a wacky law, certainly a debatable one because I am a little on the fence with it. When I said it wasn't harmless I didn't mean it was deadly or worse than tobacco and alcohol, but there is medical evidence of side effects aside from what I have witnessed myself. If it is something to do with the people and not just the weed then that is all the more reason to at least regulate it because people are idiots.
The problem is when you start believing that it is harmless is when you will fall foul of it.

isukun at 7:44PM, June 8, 2010
(online)
The problem is a lot people do end up doing it all the time and do end up suffering depression or worse.

There is definitely a link between people who suffer from depression and other mental issues and drug seeking behavior. As I stated before, usually the drugs are a symptom of the problem, not the cause of it. Those people seek out drugs to try to escape from their problems.
Sea_Cow at 8:27PM, June 8, 2010
(offline)
I was going to retort to Genejoke's retort, but isukun basically summed it up. Depressed people are in fact very likely to smoke weed. Because they are depressed. And weed makes you happy. Not that abovetheinfluence.com and the polls it uses have any eyes for the difference between a cause and an effect.

And when you talk about people who use weed all the time and become dependent on it, that's most likely because their lives suck and they use it as a form of escape. The issue in this situation is not the marijuana, it's the person using it.
Genejoke at 4:02AM, June 9, 2010
(online)
Sea_Cow
I was going to retort to Genejoke's retort, but isukun basically summed it up. Depressed people are in fact very likely to smoke weed. Because they are depressed. And weed makes you happy. Not that abovetheinfluence.com and the polls it uses have any eyes for the difference between a cause and an effect.

And when you talk about people who use weed all the time and become dependent on it, that's most likely because their lives suck and they use it as a form of escape. The issue in this situation is not the marijuana, it's the person using it.

This may well be true, in fact it is likely but if it is legal then more people who really shouldn't be using and maybe abusing it will be. There seem to be studies done that suggest it it a cause and others that don't, even if you assume it doesn't should it be legalised?

In the case of several of my friends they were not depressed when they started doing it but at some time later they became depressed and in a couple of cases paranoid fuckwits. Does this mean weed caused it? possibly, possibly not. Regardless it likely made the situation far worse. The friends who have done it regularly and been fine are the intelligent ones.
So with this in mind should it be legalised? I can't whole heatedly say yes, I have too many reservations. Not strictly because of the substance but because people are idiots.

Sea_Cow at 8:09PM, June 9, 2010
(offline)
Genejoke
Sea_Cow

This may well be true, in fact it is likely but if it is legal then more people who really shouldn't be using and maybe abusing it will be. There seem to be studies done that suggest it it a cause and others that don't, even if you assume it doesn't should it be legalised?

In the case of several of my friends they were not depressed when they started doing it but at some time later they became depressed and in a couple of cases paranoid fuckwits. Does this mean weed caused it? possibly, possibly not. Regardless it likely made the situation far worse. The friends who have done it regularly and been fine are the intelligent ones.
So with this in mind should it be legalised? I can't whole heatedly say yes, I have too many reservations. Not strictly because of the substance but because people are idiots.

Ask yourself if the people you know who went crazy and/or got depressed did other drugs. Most specifically alcohol and cocaine. That would make sense if they weren't the intelligent ones.
And personally I don't want it legalized within my lifetime. That would kill some of the magic.
Genejoke at 5:25AM, June 10, 2010
(online)
Alcohol and weed… tends to make people really annoying in my experience.
Also in some cases yeah cocaine… I doubt it in most cases.
That said if someone goes from weed to cocaine they are on a very bad downward spiral.

And as for the magic… I guess it would at that.
blindsk at 12:15PM, June 10, 2010
(online)
On the flip side of things (other than depression), I've also seen people take it because it's the only way they can “focus” on things better. That to me just spells out a dependency. If you can't carry out some sort of task without it, perhaps it is time to ween oneself off of it.

And since I live in an area where the police are told to simply turn their heads when someone is smoking weed (unless outside in a public place), some people have shown up to my work under the influence. That, to me, is also pushing it. The same practice with alcohol should be applied here as well.
Hawk at 2:28PM, June 10, 2010
(online)
blindsk
On the flip side of things (other than depression), I've also seen people take it because it's the only way they can “focus” on things better. That to me just spells out a dependency. If you can't carry out some sort of task without it, perhaps it is time to ween oneself off of it.

We actually had a pretty fascinating discussion here some years back about the use of drugs for artistic inspiration, and that issue came up as well. The person starting the thread was considering the idea that so many people use drugs in order to inspire them (for music, art or other things), and it troubled some people that a person would rely drugs for a task that any person should be able to do on their own.

It's kind of what keeps me away from drugs, too. I hate the idea of any drug altering my state of mind to where my actions, feelings, and creations aren't 100% me. I would hate to need something to be creative or focus. (this isn't meant to condemn any drug users, it's just kind of where I stand)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:47PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved