Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

I just got a 11" x 17" flatbed scanner handed to me.....Now what?...
Ninja Krow at 5:15AM, Sept. 9, 2007
(offline)
My mom, who started her own scrapbooking website just upgraded her scanners. and handed me One of her old Mustek USB scanner. However I'm not too sure if it even work as I do not have drivers for it.

Still if it does, My questions are these:

Has anyone got one? and if so, How good is the scan quality from these?

Since I most likely will only be able to get just the Drivers and non of the bundle software for it. What do I do about scanning my Artwork into my computer? what software should I use for that.

I've already read through the entire Tips and Tricks (All 16 pages of it) on the subject and figure that I'll just scan 300-600dpi but i hear people talking on these forums about using a certin program for scanning in and then using other program(s) for this that or the other.

I'll be using GIMP 2.2 for editing, but should I scan it into something else?
~ NINJA OUT!
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:17PM
spacehamster at 8:08AM, Sept. 9, 2007
(online)
I have a Mustek scanner, their cheapest model at that size, and it's great. At least for black and white stuff. Color scans tend to be a bit off.

The scanner comes with a program called DirectScan, and that's about it. You should be able to get that online - see if Mustek has a website with driver downloads.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:50PM
Ninja Krow at 3:30AM, Sept. 10, 2007
(offline)
spacehamster
I have a Mustek scanner, their cheapest model at that size, and it's great. At least for black and white stuff. Color scans tend to be a bit off.
Yeah, my mom said the same thing. and if I'm going to use it for comics, I would really only be needing Grayscale or BnW, color is pretty much not really what I need it for. With her scrap booking buisness, yeah, Color is what she needs hence why I got this one.

spacehamster
The scanner comes with a program called DirectScan, and that's about it. You should be able to get that online - see if Mustek has a website with driver downloads.
I've been playing with the Driver i had to download form other sources. Mustek doesn't seen to offer any updates or even the driver them selves.
~ NINJA OUT!
romulux at 6:13PM, Sept. 11, 2007
(offline)
Ninja Krow
I just got a 11“ x 17” flatbed scanner handed to me…..Now what?…

I'll give you my shipping address and you mail it to me.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:10PM
Enef at 8:47AM, Sept. 12, 2007
(offline)
Man, it's hard to get a scanner that size at all, let alone a FREE one.

Keep it, learn to use real paper and pens and use it wisely.

Or sell it on Ebay for major cash money.

(FYI, When scanning you should be scanning at at LEAST 600DPI in B&W mode.)

Try downloading the drivers from the Mustek site, never use the software that comes with the scanner, use Photoshops “import” settings, much easier and better.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:22PM
RabbitMaster at 12:13PM, Sept. 12, 2007
(online)
Wow, I've been considering renting my childrem out as indentured servants to get one of those!

“Perhaps you would care to try your villany on a less defenseless opponent?”–Kung Fu Rabbit
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:57PM
Ninja Krow at 9:58PM, Sept. 15, 2007
(offline)
romulux
I'll give you my shipping address and you mail it to me.
if I get tired of trying to make this thing work and if you can fix broken Scanners or know one who will do it for cheap, then sure I'll ship it to you if you pay for teh shipping cost.

but right now I'm still trying to figure out waht going on with this scanner.

Enef
Man, it's hard to get a scanner that size at all, let alone a FREE one.
yeah I was totally caught off guard. not every day that my mums that kind hearted and giving…

Enef
Keep it, learn to use real paper and pens and use it wisely.
yeah, if i can ever get it to even scan. I can hear it moving when i request a scan but nothing come up with any sort of image. I think eighter bad drivers of bad scanner. Gonna play with it a bit longer to figure this out. Mum says its good, just that she got a better one more like what she needs.

Enef
Or sell it on Ebay for major cash money.
if it's not working There no point in trying to sell it. might give it away to some one able to fix it but not seel it as it's currently not in working order and I'm not techie enought to fix it my self as far as physical funtunality goes.

If it works. I'm keeping it and starting with printer sized paper and a few lessons from my artistly gifted brother. and work my way up, if nothing more then a hobby webcomic or minicom artist.

Enef
(FYI, When scanning you should be scanning at at LEAST 600DPI in B&W mode.)
yeah I've heard that before form sevral sources form as and well as Drunkduck community. I agree with that as you can always change DPI for web and such later after the image is in it final state.

Enef
Try downloading the drivers from the Mustek site, never use the software that comes with the scanner, use Photoshops “import” settings, much easier and better.
Yeah, Thats mainly the idea of this topic really. But does it have to be the 700ish version of Photoshop or the cheaper not really a drawing tool verion. the more of a Photo book/photo manipulator verion that cost maybe 50 bucks at most in some places?

Also I went to Mustek's web site to grab the driver. but they don't seem to retain an archive of drivers beyond their current market products. So I had to go to a third party for the drivers and after looking at what was actully installed found the drivers I have don't really seem to be for what the website seys they are for, and that three site all offer the same package.

then again all three site seem to use the same exact discription and info as the other with just diffrent colour schemes. Theres bound to be a site with diffrent and even the right drivers but where? We'll I find the right one around here or figure out how to make it work.

RabbitMaster
Wow, I've been considering renting my childrem out as indentured servants to get one of those!
My mum says this brand and model on the net is usally run 150-160(USD) and is a fairly good large format Flatbed Scanner with “on the cheap” in mind. she needed better for her home web buisness so once she could upgrade she did giving me the one I have now. unless you really that much of a staving artist (chances are you maybe more so then I am) renting you kids wife, and other such items out for indentured servitude shouldn't be needed.

Thanks Yall…
~ NINJA OUT!
Enef at 4:23AM, Sept. 19, 2007
(offline)
I'm not even gonna bullshit, just pirate Photoshop, fuck paying $stupidamountofcashmoney.

On the driver front, download one for one of their latest scanners of that size and hope it works.
Hyptosis at 9:40PM, Sept. 19, 2007
(offline)
Um, you don't have to scan at 600 dpi =P I scan all my work at 400 just to be different. That is a nice size though.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:53PM
Enef at 12:57PM, Sept. 20, 2007
(offline)
Hyptosis
Um, you don't have to scan at 600 dpi =P I scan all my work at 400 just to be different. That is a nice size though.

600dpi is the “industry” standard for scanning really, if it's something for the web then it's not such a big deal what you scan at.
Hyptosis at 1:34PM, Sept. 20, 2007
(offline)
Well, that is true, but it isn't necessary. Most books are printed at 300 dpi, so you're pretty safe if you scan for anything over that, usually to be safe scanning is done at double what the print size is going to be. I don't do all of my professional work at 600 dpi, and they print fine. The publishers don't seem to care MOST of the time. Sometimes you get someone who insists it can only be done one way. Besides, I thought this was for a webcomic, not a print comic. My mistake.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:53PM
Enef at 3:53AM, Sept. 24, 2007
(offline)
It probably is for a webcomic, but either way that shouldn't change anything. You get a much cleaner scan(not to mention it's so much easier to fix mistakes at that size) at 600DPI B&W.

I'm interested to know how the Original Poster is coming along with getting it working, actually.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved