Media Megaforum

I laughed- I cried-
ayesinback at 3:04PM, Sept. 30, 2010
(online)
Upfront: THE NOTEBOOK need not apply. I'm not talking about sentimentality.

Instead, what movie/s so engaged you that you both LOL and created eye moisture (actual drip-age optional)

I “netflix” and I swear I don't remember ordering some of the things that show up in my mailbox. Anyway, here arrives YOUNG @ HEART, a documentary about a chorus of very senior seniors in MA, USA who perform and sing rock (Clash, Talking Heads, Bowie, Sonic Youth, etc.). Hadn't heard of them before, but now I'd love to see a performance. And the movie was great.

under new management
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:14AM
mlai at 10:23AM, Oct. 2, 2010
(online)
I have seen movies where I laughed out loud, and movies where I had tears. But never both in one movie. I don't knoow if it's even possible.

However, if it was a series, then I can see it happening, and has happened. So I think the problem is simply that one movie is too short a time span for me to go from 1 extreme to the other and still stay immersed.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:06PM
korosu at 10:43AM, Oct. 3, 2010
(online)
mlai
I have seen movies where I laughed out loud, and movies where I had tears. But never both in one movie. I don't knoow if it's even possible.
Yeah, I agree. MAYBE, if I think about it for a while, I can come up with something, but I just don't know…
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:21PM
bravo1102 at 12:59PM, Oct. 3, 2010
(online)
I can come up with quite a few as I am easily engaged in the pathos and irony of a story and laugh and then the pain of loss and joy of “all's well that end's well” where I cry because it truly tugs the heart strings.

The latest was The Joy Luck Club. The greatest for me is Gone with the Wind, I laugh with the charming rake Clark Gable and cry with the things that Scarlett has to survive. I also laugh at Scarlett because of Vivian Leigh's great portrayal of one of the greatest bitches in literary history.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:34AM
blindsk at 1:35PM, Oct. 3, 2010
(online)
Going to agree with mlai on this one - there hasn't been a movie that has sent me to the floor laughing to tears. If anything, the humor in major production films these days induce nervous laughter as I cringe at such a weak attempt at doing something funny. That's not to say there aren't a few gems out there, but those seem to pull off clever-funny extremely well rather than ridiculous-funny.

However, if this topic were broadened to internet shows that have made me laugh until the tears flow, then I could list several of those. ;)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:25AM
mlai at 8:10PM, Oct. 3, 2010
(online)
I've thought of one genre where there are exceptions: animated movies.

Most likely because animated characters can make you laugh without losing your immersion for tragic plot points. And vice versa.

Dumbo and Up are 2 examples which come to my mind.

Edit: Goddamn… even just thinking about the rocking-baby scene in Dumbo is making my tears flow.

I think I just found my tears trigger! Will come in handy at chick movies I don't want to watch but where I'm required to show sensitivity.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:06PM
AzuJOD at 6:08AM, Oct. 4, 2010
(online)
Toy Story 3; The only reason to see it in 3D was so you could use the glasses to hide your manly tears!
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:15AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved