Comic Talk and General Discussion *

I love you!
Ryuthehedgewolf at 5:35PM, March 17, 2009
(offline)
The phrase that is now uttered around the mouthes of kids/teenagers who do not truly know the meaning of the word. Quite sad, isn't it?
This freshman girl, on the first day that she came to my school, I was helping her around, and every time after I'd help her, she'd say, “I love you!” and I'd be like, “Wat.” and she'd be like, “Oh, nothing” and then yeah.

But besides that. I do love you.
Each and every one of you.
<3
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:16PM
crocty at 6:24PM, March 17, 2009
(offline)
Aww! I love you too! : So not true.
I'm not really around much anymore, but here's my Tumblr, Twitter, and Deviantart. Also if you remember me from back when I was around, I'm sorry.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:52AM
ifelldownthestairs at 6:36PM, March 17, 2009
(online)
well perhaps she really did love you and you were just insensitive…

…you prick.

and incidentally i love you too.
you know why birds don't write their memoirs? because birds don't lead epic lives, that's why. who'd want to read what a bird does? nobody. that's who.
http://www.drunkduck.com/i_fell_down_the_stairs
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:56PM
HyenaHell at 6:48PM, March 17, 2009
(online)
I hate everything. :gem:

Nothin' personal, fellas.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:52PM
lba at 6:52PM, March 17, 2009
(online)
No offense taken. I was gonna say it meself.

I do have to agree that the words have lost their meaning a bit these days though. Same for a lot of other common phrases. The phrase “f**k you” has little to no effect on most people any more and it's one of the rudest in the English language.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:29PM
Ozoneocean at 7:25PM, March 17, 2009
(online)
I love cake.

I do.

I have it for lunch every day.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:33PM
SarahN at 7:41PM, March 17, 2009
(online)
lba
No offense taken. I was gonna say it meself.

I do have to agree that the words have lost their meaning a bit these days though. Same for a lot of other common phrases. The phrase “f**k you” has little to no effect on most people any more and it's one of the rudest in the English language.

And yet they still censor someone yelling “Jesus Christ!” on television here…
F@#$ you, I love you!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:23PM
HyenaHell at 8:03PM, March 17, 2009
(online)
SarahN
F@#$ you, I love you!
Heh. I didn't realise they censored that.

Fun FCC facts from my college radio days: after 11 pm you can play music with the word f**k in it, but only as long as it's not in the context of describing a sexual act. You cannot yourself say the word “f**k” on air. And you definitely can't say the “c” word, even if it's in the name of the band you're playing. Nor can you demand that your listeners bring you beer, apparently.

Ozoneocean at 8:31PM, March 17, 2009
(online)
Hyena H_ll
And you definitely can't say the “c” word
Cake is banned? o_O

Those cvnts!
HyenaHell at 8:39PM, March 17, 2009
(online)
ozoneocean
Hyena H_ll
And you definitely can't say the “c” word
Cake is banned? o_O

Those cvnts!
Ha! You said it, not me. ;)

Funny how I censor myself on the boards, consider the language in my comic, huh?
usedbooks at 8:57PM, March 17, 2009
(online)
Hyena H_ll
SarahN
F@#$ you, I love you!
Heh. I didn't realise they censored that.
Cartoon Network censored “Sweet zombie Jesus” on Futurama. Comedy Central left it in.

Censoring is silly. I watched all kinds of PG-13 movies as a young kid and didn't even know there was cursing in it. (I guess those were just more words among many I didn't know.) Some kids are like parrots, though. They repeat everything they hear. That can be pretty embarrassing for a parent.

When I was in 4th grade, I did start repeating “bad words.” My mom made me look them up in the dictionary – where I discovered more “bad words.” I then used the words correctly, according to Websters, and came up with every possible opportunity to insert them into conversations.

Wait, what was this topic about? Love. Right. The only people who've told me they love me are my family and my preacher (well, I think he said Jesus loves me…). The only people I've told I love them are my family and my pets (those count as people, right?). I've not said I love, like, or any derivation of it to anyone else (I have said it *about* people though).
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:37PM
HippieVan at 9:12PM, March 17, 2009
(online)
I only like saying that to people I do love…platonically as well, though. I love my best friend. I'm not one of those people who's like “Love ya babe!” all the time, though. Just every once in a while to remind people how much I appreciate them. If you say it all the time it really doesn't mean anything.
I probably say “I love you” to my pets more than anyone else…I think it's okay as long as they don't say it back.

Oh, and I also love cake. Actually, I just love baked goods in general.
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:49PM
Ozoneocean at 9:14PM, March 17, 2009
(online)
Hyena H_ll
Funny how I censor myself on the boards, consider the language in my comic, huh?
I do too normally… and I have done now, but I just had to say it :)

…I started taking the stuff out of my comic a while ago… I've still got to get rid of it from the arly pages. Stupid DD ratings >.<

———————————

I also love sleep, coffee, tea, sugar, hats, cats, and various things that need to be censored:

****, *****, ****** on the *** with **** under the ****** in the ****** or even *******! ******** are also **** to ****, especially *** the ****** ******* for **…
HippieVan at 9:27PM, March 17, 2009
(online)
ozoneocean
****, *****, ****** on the *** with **** under the ****** in the ****** or even *******! ******** are also **** to ****, especially *** the ****** ******* for **…

With a melon?!
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:49PM
Ozoneocean at 9:33PM, March 17, 2009
(online)
Hippie Van
With a melon?!
Several.
HyenaHell at 9:48PM, March 17, 2009
(online)
ozoneocean
Hyena H_ll
I do too normally… and I have done now, but I just had to say it :)

…I started taking the stuff out of my comic a while ago… I've still got to get rid of it from the arly pages. Stupid DD ratings >.<
Ha. I didn't think you had many objectionable words, but maybe they just slipped by me? I'm probably so desensitized that it doesn't even register, though.
Jonko at 10:03PM, March 17, 2009
(online)
On the subject of swearwords, it's really interesting what swearwords travel to Japan. People here throw around the F word thinking it doesn't mean anything bad. I've even had a student use the N word in a conversation (I teach English) and I had to explain to him for about 20 minutes that he should NEVER use that word.

In a country where there are no swearwords they just don't get that there are some things you can't say.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:10PM
lba at 10:08PM, March 17, 2009
(online)
There may not be swearwords in Japan but it's still quite possible to say rude things to someone. I got yelled at for saying something my friend told me was correct and having it come out sounding like I was calling the girl at the register a retard.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:29PM
Ozoneocean at 2:07AM, March 18, 2009
(online)
Hyena H_ll
a. I didn't think you had many objectionable words, but maybe they just slipped by me? I'm probably so desensitized that it doesn't even register, though.
There are a couple… at least I think there are…? I remember one page where the word “fuck” is prominent. Hmm, maybe my memory built them up :)
lba
There may not be swearwords in Japan but it's still quite possible to say rude things to someone.
There would have to be. The so called “swear words” in English are just words for sex and genitals, mostly. They're not even swear words if you use them in the right context. The religious stuff isn't rude in itself so much as very old fashioned social conventions.

I sure that if you looked at the Japanese language carefully enough it'd turn out more similar in some ways. I mean, can you describe someone in terms of male or female genitalia, excrement, or a particular sexual act and have them accept that politely? -even if words don't carry a stigma in of themselves, that doesn't mater so much as meaning and context because the so called “swear words” in English aren't rude themselves, it's just current local, cultural attitudes that make them so.

And a lot of the prohibitions against saying religious words came from the fact that they're part of actual curses, like “Damn”, “God”, or “hell”, in the more full, archaic forms they'd be something like “May God damn you and all your family to eternal punishment in the fires of Hell!”.
Would it really be acceptable to voice analogous Buddhist or Shinto caures at someone in Japanese?
DAJB at 2:17AM, March 18, 2009
(online)
Language is a funny thing. It evolves with use. (Except in France, of course, where the Academie Francaise religiously tries to prevent its development, but that's another discussion entirely!)

As once taboo swear words become commonplace, they are replaced by the next worst option. Until that becomes commonplace and then the next taboo word is brought into service.

I wonder if that will work in reverse for a word like “love”? If "I love you" ceases to have any real meaning, it will inevitably be replaced by something else. Will it be the next most positive expression?
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:03PM
Ozoneocean at 3:29AM, March 18, 2009
(online)
DAJB
I wonder if that will work in reverse
Well it certainly works in reverse for a lots of “swear” words. Look at how “ass” became in the United States! lol!
bravo1102 at 4:36AM, March 18, 2009
(offline)
In English despite all the borrowings and the largest apparent vocabulary it is still stuck with only one word for “love” It means all permutations from sex to the platonic bondings of friendship. So one can say “I love you” and it can mean all sorts of unintended things. Then there's the expression “Making Love” I kind of perferred when it just meant “wooing” someone as opposed to getting them up over the fireplace and her legs are right there…

Then there's Twue Wuv

Teens mistake one feeling for another. The rush of an attraction is a form of love. So they can say it without meaning the long term bond between partners. The word is the same but means two different things. Maybe we should call one “wuv” another “luv” and a third variety “love”.

Let's bring back the old meaning of “gay”!

All of you are wonderful people, even the crumudgens who hate everything (I'm a recovering one: Crumudgens Anonymous, Hello I'm Bravo and I'm a crumudgen…) so I do feel the bonds of friendship with each of you. But I hold back the love of friendship to people I've met. :) (unless they're good looking women in which case I love you, now be the mother of my children; “so you have her legs over the fireplace…”
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:33AM
lastcall at 4:41AM, March 18, 2009
(offline)
ozoneocean
I love cake.

I do.

I have it for lunch every day.

Holy crap, I love that you love cake. Love!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:28PM
Jonko at 7:21AM, March 18, 2009
(online)
ozoneocean
Would it really be acceptable to voice analogous Buddhist or Shinto caures at someone in Japanese?

It definitely would be. Religion doesn't seem to have the same stigma in Japan as it does in other countries. People here just aren't that religious anymore, and therefore rude terms that refer to religion will probably not be offense, or not even understood.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:10PM
Ozoneocean at 8:09AM, March 18, 2009
(online)
lastcall
Holy crap, I love that you love cake. Love!
Cake is love.

Jonko
rude terms that refer to religion will probably not be offense, or not even understood.
I don't mean rude terms, I mean the sentiment behind it in the full form…
Instead of thinking of the way we use English, with its shorthand words and terms that are full of complicated but generic meanings, sentiments and inferences, think about what those coded words and cliche phrases are supposed to mean and expand them in long-form.
dcole at 8:29AM, March 18, 2009
(online)
Pie = More Love than Cake! : P

Love for all!
Daniel Cole
Writer/Artist,Carbon and Space
Magazine Editor,The Frontiersman
www.brokenfrontier.com
Twitter:@CarbonandSpace

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:09PM
HyenaHell at 8:38AM, March 18, 2009
(online)
bravo1102
In English despite all the borrowings and the largest apparent vocabulary it is still stuck with only one word for “love” It means all permutations from sex to the platonic bondings of friendship.
Yeah, English has a lot of vocabulary, but so many languages have much better nuance than English, in my opinion. The best you can do with it is vary the context- “I love you”, “I'm in love with you”, I have love for you“, etc. to shift the meaning slightly- but unless you search for extraordinarily obscure or archaid words (which no one will understand anyway) you're still stuck with ”love", a word that's got so many assigned meanings and connotations, and so much baggage.

Hakoshen at 11:11AM, March 18, 2009
(offline)
I'm so lonely.

But anyways, a lot of words have changed meaning over the years as languages and cultures evolve. If love no longer has any potency, I wonder what we'll be saying in 20 years.
God needed the Devil, the Beatles needed the Rolling Stones, Hakoshen needs me.
I'm the enemy he requires to define him.
Soon or later, he'll bring me back to life again for another epic encounter of shouting about power levels and grimacing.
-Harkovast
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:41PM
Custard Trout at 11:27AM, March 18, 2009
(offline)
Hakoshen
I wonder what we'll be saying in 20 years.

Maybe we should make some words up now, so we're ready?

I nominate brotoflatron. That's a great word.
Hey buddy, you should be a Russian Cosmonaut, and here's why.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:01PM
kyupol at 12:14PM, March 18, 2009
(online)
infinite love is the only truth, everything else is illusion.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:26PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon