Hakoshen at 1:14PM, March 18, 2009
(offline)
Custard Trout
I nominate brotoflatron.

I second this motion. All in favor?

Hakoshen: Aye.

All opposed?

*silence*

The ayes have it. The new varnacular for expressing affections is brotoflatron.

And, in keeping with the spirit of the thread, I brotoflatron you all ;)
God needed the Devil, the Beatles needed the Rolling Stones, Hakoshen needs me.
I'm the enemy he requires to define him.
Soon or later, he'll bring me back to life again for another epic encounter of shouting about power levels and grimacing.
-Harkovast
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:41PM
Orin J Master at 2:20PM, March 18, 2009
(online)
whereas i'm largely apathetic to this whole matter.

brotoflatron? sounds kinky. and involving motorized rubber implements.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:22PM
lba at 3:44PM, March 18, 2009
(online)
ozoneocean
lba
There may not be swearwords in Japan but it's still quite possible to say rude things to someone.
There would have to be. The so called “swear words” in English are just words for sex and genitals, mostly. They're not even swear words if you use them in the right context. The religious stuff isn't rude in itself so much as very old fashioned social conventions.

I sure that if you looked at the Japanese language carefully enough it'd turn out more similar in some ways. I mean, can you describe someone in terms of male or female genitalia, excrement, or a particular sexual act and have them accept that politely? -even if words don't carry a stigma in of themselves, that doesn't mater so much as meaning and context because the so called “swear words” in English aren't rude themselves, it's just current local, cultural attitudes that make them so.

And a lot of the prohibitions against saying religious words came from the fact that they're part of actual curses, like “Damn”, “God”, or “hell”, in the more full, archaic forms they'd be something like “May God damn you and all your family to eternal punishment in the fires of Hell!”.
Would it really be acceptable to voice analogous Buddhist or Shinto caures at someone in Japanese?

I was being sarcastic. I know the Japanese language well enough to know that there are insults that would be equivalent. Swear words generally aren't much more than words we consider rude, so naturally calling someone something rude is by an extension a general equivalent of swearing at them. Maybe not as severely as telling them to go fuck themselves, but referring to someone as a pig's backside can still be taken as an insulting curse.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:29PM
Ironscarf at 3:52PM, March 18, 2009
(offline)
Donna Summer
Ooh
I feel brotoflatron, I feel brotoflatron
I feel brotoflatron, I feel brotoflatron
I feel brotoflatron
That was going to be an example of why it wouldn't work, but the more I look at it…
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:02PM
seventy2 at 5:03PM, March 18, 2009
(online)
here in america, we're gonna have to shorten the word tho. brotoflatron is just too long for our lazy ADD minds….hows about…..brofla….it works

brofla: V; english (american) origins; brotoflatron english (GB ) meaning: 1. to feel deep affection for. 2. to care for 3.to love (archaic)
e.g.
i brofla my british counterparts, who like to speak at length with words similar to ours, such as brotoflatron.
facara
Running Anew an exercise blog.
I'm gonna love you till the money comes, half of it's gonna be mine someday.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:29PM
dragodraconis at 7:40PM, March 18, 2009
(online)
Love can be defined as many things it can also be used to trick people… ever see someone turn red and confused trying to figure what to say after what you said LOL so funny.

No i have not done that to anybody if I did then the jokes on me when I try to figure away to say I was joking around. >_<

Love will be Love no matter what form it is… and I love cake… definitly love cake.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:14PM
HippieVan at 7:58PM, March 18, 2009
(online)
Have you ever said “I love you” by mistake or to someone you didn't mean it to? Once I was talking on the phone to a friend of mine, and since my parents are usually the only people who phone me, when she said bye I accidentally responded with “K bye, love you.” Then realized what I had said and was like “Wait! I didn't mean to say that! I usually only talk to my family on the phone and I always say bye love you to them I mean I like you but I don't love you I mean you're a good friend but…um yeah! Okay bye!”

Edit: To fully understand this story I think you need to know that I'm incredibly awkward on the phone to begin with, and this wasn't a friend who I was really close with.
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:49PM
Ozoneocean at 8:33PM, March 18, 2009
(online)
Hippie Van
“Wait! I didn't mean to say that! I usually only talk to my family on the phone and I always say bye love you to them I mean I like you but I don't love you I mean you're a good friend but…um yeah! Okay bye!”
That's hillarious :)

Actually, while I do indeed love cake, and will prove that by eating it for my lunch again when I've finished typing this, I wouldn't tell it that. And those thress words aren't something I say to other people either.

It just feels WEIRD!

… although “I love you too” is fine.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:33PM
bravo1102 at 11:35PM, March 18, 2009
(offline)
I say we bring back that wonderous term “grok” (as in I grok Spock, but originating in Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land.)

last edited on July 14, 2011 11:33AM
Faliat at 8:57AM, March 19, 2009
(offline)
It really pisses me off when people throw the word love about to mean lesser emotions like lust and limerince. It makes it harder for others to take you seriously when you're actually in it.

Especially when you've got the social stigmas of age and gender against you.

Call that jumped up metal rod a knife?
Watch mine go straight through a kevlar table, and if it dunt do the same to a certain gaixan's skull in my immediate vicinity after, I GET A F*****G REFUND! BUKKO, AH?!

- Rekkiy (NerveWire)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:25PM
Jonko at 9:51AM, March 19, 2009
(online)
Faliat
It really pisses me off when people throw the word love about to mean lesser emotions like lust and limerince. It makes it harder for others to take you seriously when you're actually in it.

I feel like it's pretty easy to distinguish when your saying it jokingly or half heartedly and when you're saying it because you're actually in love. Context and tone of voice are what really matter!!!

(I merely say this coz I'm the type of person that jumps up and down and says “I love you!” to someone if they really did something awesome for me).
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:10PM
PIT_FACE at 10:00AM, March 19, 2009
(online)
Hakoshen
Custard Trout
I nominate brotoflatron.

All opposed?

*silence*

I ANTI-brotoflatron you,sucker!

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:44PM
Hakoshen at 10:58AM, March 19, 2009
(offline)
PIT_FACE
Hakoshen
Custard Trout
I nominate brotoflatron.

All opposed?

*silence*

I ANTI-brotoflatron you,sucker!

:(
Soon or later, he'll bring me back to life again for another epic encounter of shouting about power levels and grimacing.
-Harkovast
Faliat at 11:00AM, March 19, 2009
(offline)
Jonko
I feel like it's pretty easy to distinguish when your saying it jokingly or half heartedly and when you're saying it because you're actually in love. Context and tone of voice are what really matter!!!
Lots of people get confused between limerince and love. And I've met my fair share of people who think lust is love. And if you don't know anyone who's actually been in love it's kinda hard to tell them all apart.

And there's loads of people that think just because you're under 25 you automatically only feel puppy love.

Watch mine go straight through a kevlar table, and if it dunt do the same to a certain gaixan's skull in my immediate vicinity after, I GET A F*****G REFUND! BUKKO, AH?!

- Rekkiy (NerveWire)
Jonko at 8:14AM, March 20, 2009
(online)
Faliat
Lots of people get confused between limerince and love. And I've met my fair share of people who think lust is love. And if you don't know anyone who's actually been in love it's kinda hard to tell them all apart.

And there's loads of people that think just because you're under 25 you automatically only feel puppy love.

So basically in the end the problem isn't really that people are saying “I love you” but instead are saying “I'm in love” too much. Love is weird. People always say that they're confusing puppy love or lust with love, but what is real love? How do you know if you're really in love???
Hakoshen at 8:24AM, March 20, 2009
(offline)
Well, there are many different kinds of brofla after all, that basically boil down to three types:

Romantic brofla - High passion, low longevity. Think of those romantic movies and whatnot. Not enough time to really commit to someone, but there's a load of passion. Or lust, so to speak.

Long term brofla - Medium passion, medium longevity. Likely to be less of a spark, and more trouble down the line, but they stick together for their own reasons.

Companionship brofla -Low passion, high longevity. This is more of what you'd say old people feel. The fire might all be gone, but they have each other, and that's what matters to them.

So saying you brofla someone is one thing. It could mean a lot, it could mean a little. As for people denouncing your brofla just because of your age, well that's unfortunate. Then again, when you're young most people older than you don't respect what you feel all that much to begin with.
-Harkovast
HippieVan at 4:49PM, March 20, 2009
(online)
Hakoshen
As for people denouncing your brofla just because of your age, well that's unfortunate. Then again, when you're young most people older than you don't respect what you feel all that much to begin with.

I actually have a really hard time believing people my age when they say they're in love with their boyfriend/girlfriend. I'm not really sure why.
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:49PM
Ryuthehedgewolf at 5:31PM, March 20, 2009
(offline)
Hippie Van
Have you ever said “I love you” by mistake or to someone you didn't mean it to? Once I was talking on the phone to a friend of mine, and since my parents are usually the only people who phone me, when she said bye I accidentally responded with “K bye, love you.” Then realized what I had said and was like “Wait! I didn't mean to say that! I usually only talk to my family on the phone and I always say bye love you to them I mean I like you but I don't love you I mean you're a good friend but…um yeah! Okay bye!”

Edit: To fully understand this story I think you need to know that I'm incredibly awkward on the phone to begin with, and this wasn't a friend who I was really close with.

You know what's even weirder?

I was talking to my mom's friend on the phone, telling her that my mom wasn't here at the time. And for some reason, before I hung up, I was like, “Love youuuu,” and about 3 seconds after I hung up, I felt a little dead inside ;_;
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:16PM
Jonko at 5:46PM, March 20, 2009
(online)
Ryuthehedgewolf
I was like, “Love youuuu,” and about 3 seconds after I hung up, I felt a little dead inside ;_;

I agree, after I accidentally say it I always feel a little dead inside… It's weird because they're just words.
Faliat at 6:20AM, March 21, 2009
(offline)
Jonko
So basically in the end the problem isn't really that people are saying “I love you” but instead are saying “I'm in love” too much. Love is weird. People always say that they're confusing puppy love or lust with love, but what is real love? How do you know if you're really in love???
I reckon still spending entire days crying remembering the fact you'll never see them do any more of the little things they used to do three years on after they left your life is a sure sign. Daft little things. But they're missed all the same.

- Rekkiy (NerveWire)
Puff_Of_Smoke at 5:09PM, March 21, 2009
(offline)
I love myself.
I
I have a gun. It's really powerful. Especially against living things.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:56PM
humorman at 10:53PM, March 21, 2009
(offline)
Welcome to Costco. I love you.

Billy vs. Tree – The epic struggle of boy versus tree.
Sonic Colores – It looks like it's going to be a good game because I love how the way it makes me grow.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:51PM
Faliat at 6:02AM, March 22, 2009
(offline)
humorman
Welcome to Costco. I love you.

Well my parents love you too, Costco!

Pity our garden ain't big enough for your giant pools and Fisher Price Super Splash fun thingymajjig…

But hell, we stick with your carrot cake and GIANT tubs of grapes anyway.

- Rekkiy (NerveWire)
Ozoneocean at 6:57AM, March 22, 2009
(online)
Puff_Of_Smoke
I love myself.
Please, not in front of the children. -_-
Puff_Of_Smoke at 9:03AM, March 22, 2009
(offline)
Then tell them to stop looking… Geez…
I
Jonko at 9:20AM, March 22, 2009
(online)
ozoneocean
Puff_Of_Smoke
I love myself.

Oh no, I'm pretty sure the children will enjoy it.
Puff_Of_Smoke at 10:38AM, March 22, 2009
(offline)
Jonko
ozoneocean
Puff_Of_Smoke
I love myself.

Watching me make coffee? K.
I
Senshuu at 10:45PM, March 22, 2009
(offline)
It bugs me when most people say “I love you” to me. I can't possibly imagine them actually meaning it. Especially from one person, long ago.

On that note, I love everybody.
:D
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:27PM
HyenaHell at 11:40PM, March 22, 2009
(online)
Mostly I see being “in love” with someone as an intense and/or obsessive infatuation. Nothin' wrong with it, but I think most times it passes if you give it time; or it turns into a milder version of itself, based more on comfort and companionship than “Love with a capital L!”.

I figure you know you're really “in love” if they still give ya butterflies in your stomach, and that completely silly, over-the-top giddiness every time you see them- even ten years later. Awesome that I found that crap out like, eight years too late, right? ;)

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:52PM
Ozoneocean at 11:44PM, March 22, 2009
(online)
Ugh, I get that ALLLL the time. :)
I think it's a mental condition… :(
Puff_Of_Smoke
Jonko
ozoneocean
Puff_Of_Smoke
I love myself.
Watching me make coffee? K.
You make coffee with that?
I'm going to hurl -_-

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon