Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

i need advice
jetfox at 12:26PM, Sept. 7, 2006
(offline)
i thinking of redoing one of my sprite comics.

i need advice on how to make a good serious comic since i want to make it good the first time around and not have tokeep redoing and wondering what i did wrong.

also anything that makes a sprite comic good i need to know i already know about 2 rules.

1. no recolors
2. no colorized text boxes

is there anything else i need to know.
In the immortal words of Saix “Moon shine down!!!!”
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:07PM
evilplushie at 12:43PM, Sept. 7, 2006
(offline)
I know a lot of people are going to come in here saying “JUST DONT DO SPRITE COMICS!!!1” So my advice will be, don't listen to them when they say that. There is in fact an actual audience for sprite comics. I for one, do enjoy a good, well-written sprite comic.
Some other tips:
If you're using pre-made sprites, try to use ones that look alike (as in bit rate, amount of detail, etc.), or are all from the same series. I don't like seeing kirbies next to 8-bit megamans or marios. It totaly throws me off. :?
Make sure you do have a general plotline in mind. It helps. XB
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:23PM
Egnio at 1:19PM, Sept. 7, 2006
(offline)
I'm not the greatest fan of serious comics, but that I can give you afvice, I can give you advice.

For any comic:
Make the speech bubbles outside the comic. Before putting them on the comic, make sure that the speech bubble doesn't have much empty space, the text is centered on the bubble and that people can read it.
if there's going to be explosions, attacks or such, use sound effects and make it look as if the characters are actually feeling it. I mean, most people yell when they take serious damage, don't just stay still.
No bittage mixing, as evilplushie said. No 8 bit megaman with non-8 bit kirby. Neither put one or 2 colored backgrounds.
No: authors, god modded characters, total anihilation of the fourth wall, and such…
GRAMMAR FOR GOD'S SAKE. Not grammer, grammar. There's no “e” in grammar. Use punctuation, don't use leet or similars.

For serious comics:
Make sure that the characters have expressions and that those are correct for all the panels. I mean, not everyone work with expressions, just with the sprites, but it helps on serious comics to see how the characters feel, and how the one reading them should.
Make sure that it's 100% clear what's happening on the comic, and that it's clear when someone is talking. People usually read from the upper part of the panel to the lower part, and from left to right. So don't put the first person's comment in the bottom and before it the second person's. People would hardly understand it.
Don't you dare ending the comic with a panel where every character is still or walking away with no comments. I hate it when it happens, because it looks like an empty ending.
Avoid cliches. Some are almost unavoidable, so it won't be that bad if you use them, but don't overuse them (I like to use them just to parody them, but that's for fun, not for serious comics)

Well, I hope that this information helps you.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:19PM
deletedbyrequest03 at 2:37PM, Sept. 7, 2006
(offline)
equinox
Ya gotta edit the actual appearence of the sprite too.

That's it! I think that's what makes a sprite comic successful: with great editting. It's not that hard to do, actually. And it's kinda fun :D

This year, school's full of BS!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:04PM
Titch at 3:39PM, Sept. 7, 2006
(offline)
i need advice on how to make a good serious comic since i want to make it good the first time around and not have tokeep redoing and wondering what i did wrong.

Do LOTS of prepwork. That is, have a whole story planned, begging, middle and end. Have scripts for all the major pages penned. Read some matirial on writing storys for comics. Plan…pretty much everything. Do not make ANY concessions because you know your running a sprite comic. Write as though you've got an artist to write for you and then force yourself to stick to it.

It'll take over your life; but it'll make your comic something you can be proud of.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:30PM
Egnio at 4:54PM, Sept. 7, 2006
(offline)
equinox
What I will say is that IF you use recolors, make sure you take the time to do them right. I will always overlook a well made recolor. Just don't make megaman's armor green and call him something else. Ya gotta edit the actual appearence of the sprite too.

Then it's not a recolor, it's an edit. If it's just a recolor, it's bad. If it's editted slightly, there's not much difference. If it's a good edit, you may call my attention, and the audience's too.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:19PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved