Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

i need some help
bluebot092 at 6:23PM, July 11, 2008
(offline)
i want to get a rateing thats better than 3 or 1 on my comic……..
I don't have ADD you're just boring me.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:28AM
lba at 8:13PM, July 11, 2008
(online)
I'm going to give you an honest critique here. You've got a lot of work to do.

I would suggest dumping the “random” stuff for starters. Random is usually a brilliant way to ensure nobody knows what the heck you're talking about, and in this case, that's exactly what's happening. I looked through your comic and I can't understand a single one of them. Not being able to understand takes all the humour value out of it. For that matter, the most understandable one in there just isn't particularly funny. Most people have seen something very similar on Nickelodeon with The Fairly Oddparents and it's become cliched. You need to spend some time looking at successful humour comics and learn the things that make a joke funny. But make sure that you don't copy. Doing that will only ensure you end up with people flaming you.

Second, you need panel borders. Without them you have a single panel of repeated background and any jokes involving time won't work because nobody reads that as several panels instead of one. Plus that one panel effect just makes it look like you got lazy and didn't want to spend enough time to do it well.

Lastly, you've got a very large dislike and lack of respect for the genre you've chosen that you're up against. Most people look down on sprites to begin with and seeing as how you keep reusing the same panel over, you're not doing yourself any favors. My suggestion would be to take the time and make yourself some original sprites and backgrounds to work with. Despite their dislike of the genre most people respect it when you take the time to make custom sprites.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:29PM
BlkKnight at 10:22AM, July 12, 2008
(online)
I have to agree with everything Iba said. Those four pages made no sense whatsoever. Heck, I could barely see the sprites on that background.
That's “Dr. BlkKnight” to all of you.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:26AM
bluebot092 at 4:01PM, July 12, 2008
(offline)
fine -.- wow thats real help saying im some gay bastard
I don't have ADD you're just boring me.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:28AM
crocty at 7:10PM, July 12, 2008
(online)
bluebot092
I read lba's critique, I see nothing wrong with what he's said.
I think asking for critique is a bad idea if you can't handle it.
THIS NEW SITE SUCKS I'M LEAVING FOREVER I PROMISE, GUYS.
NOT BLUFFING, I'M GONE IF YOU DON'T FIX IT.
Oh god I'm so alone someone pay attention to me
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:52AM
skoolmunkee at 4:10PM, July 15, 2008
(online)
bluebot092

Iba gave you some good advice in a polite and straightforward way. I know it's difficult to separate yourself from your work, and any criticism of that seems like it's aimed at you personally, but it isn't. You asked for advice and you got it, you should set your feelings aside and try to improve on the things Iba's mentioned.

Locking this thread because I can forsee this going badly from here.
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:41PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved