Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

I need to see your comics!
Sayomi at 7:59AM, Feb. 22, 2011
(offline)
I'm getting used to my own art style, and I was wondering what other people's are like. I'm allowed to see T but no higher, please post a link to your comics/artwork!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:24PM
JustNoPoint at 10:06AM, Feb. 22, 2011
(online)
Shouldn't have any problems finding comics on this site to look at :P

You can totally look at M rated comics too by logging out. It's super secret so don't let them know I told you! :3

From start to finish my “style” changed a lot I think.
My goal was always to try and mesh the american comic style with the more japanese anime-ish styles. Mostly I used artwork from games like Street Fighter Alpha 3 or Darkstalkers 3 as my driving anime base look. While J Scott Campbell and the guy that did WitchBlade (name escaping me) are 2 of my bigger American influences.

But really in the end it just was all whatever I liked at the time getting implemented more XD

Um feel free to have a look :)

http://www.drunkduck.com/The_Devon_Legacy_Prologue/index.php
Rated T

The non prologue version is rated M but there really isn't a reason to look at it yet as I didn't get very far into it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:12PM
Abt_Nihil at 4:52AM, Feb. 23, 2011
(offline)
Finding a style is something that'll just happen somewhere along the way. I always had a “default style”, somewhere between cartoon and manga (at least that's what people tell me) and gradually developed enough variations to be able to tackle different subjects. I guess I'm a bit more style-conscious these days, trying to employ it efficiently. That's a big emphasis on “trying” though :p

You can find links to my comics in my signature. signifikat and Bombshell may have an M rating…
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:44AM
Sayomi at 5:07AM, Feb. 23, 2011
(offline)
@JustNoPoint: Well, there's so many comics I don't know where to start! Thanks :)
@Abt_Nihil: It took me a few reads, but I think I get what you mean about different subjects; like cartoon for funny comics and twisted for dark comics?

My new comic (www.drunkduck.com/Faceless) is in my new style, sort of scratchy and coloured using my new colouring pencils. Apparently it's a cute style, please tell me what you think of that style. :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:24PM
Abt_Nihil at 12:48PM, Feb. 23, 2011
(offline)
Sayomi
It took me a few reads, but I think I get what you mean about different subjects; like cartoon for funny comics and twisted for dark comics?
Something like that. Also, while still being cartoony, my superhero stuff has a tendency to look more like standard superhero stuff, while other comics lean more toward manga, etc. The back-up features I'm doing on HOLON right now are all homages to certain classic styles, with the current one being Leiji Matsumoto's (Captain Harlock) style.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:44AM
DrLuck at 10:08AM, Feb. 28, 2011
(online)
Well, if you're looking for styles and want to see our webcomics, you may be interested in reading the current chapter for A Loonatic's Tale here. The chapter is all about a psychologist who thinks everyone sees the world in their own “special way,” so each character's point of view is a different art style.

I would say if you're having trouble with a style, stop and think about what your comic is about and what you can do to emphasize what you want viewers to take away from it. If you want something more cute, probably the big eyes/heads look is a good way to go. Want something more serious? Have a somewhat realistic look to the art. Nothing you want people to think is “serious business?” A more cartoonish one would work.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:17PM
binaryfaye at 4:55PM, March 4, 2011
(online)
Whenever I want to look at different styles (or just randomly find a new comic to read) I just click around on the “This Just In” section of the homepage. It's a great way to find entertaining but underloved comics.

I like looking at totally random styles though. If you focus too much on just one style it's hard to branch out. Like I love Kosuke Fujishima (creator of Oh My Goddess and You Under Arrest) but if I only looked at stuff like his and others who have a similar style I'd just end up drawing like him. So my suggestion would be to look for inspiration in some very odd and unexpected places. Those are the things that usually end up give you a unique style all your own.

last edited on July 14, 2011 11:22AM
Allyndn at 12:37PM, July 26, 2011
(online)
I think truly developing your own style comes from drawing a lot. Most of my comic drawing experience came from from when I was about seven until my early 20s when I dropped it in favor of better paying commercial art work. When I started drawing comics again a year and a half ago after nearly 20 years, I really didn't have much of a style… like, I did what I thought I could “pull off.” If you check out my comic Found Art (http://www.drunkduck.com/Found_Art), you can actually see the evolution of style as I found my art style as I tried and then dropped several different ways of drawing trying to find a style that worked for me. I feel like the current issue finally has a style that I can live with. I see you're doing a bunch of different short comics, each with a slightly different look. That's smarter than what I did. 

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved