Debate and Discussion

I really get frustrated with today's "news" channles/programs
SpANG at 12:31PM, April 23, 2007
(online)
I get up every day, get ready for work, and drive to said work listening to NPR. It gives the most balanced, un-opinionated, and actually researched stories of today's world events. (If you think NPR is liberally bias, you've obviously never heard it, or you are taking Rush “The Idiot” Limbaugh's word for it. Either way you are quite wrong)

When I get home from work, I turn on Headline News. Instead of world events, I hear about Anna Nicole's baby, Imus, or 10 reports in a row about VA Tech. Headline News actually admits, “These are the stories that we are getting the most hits on cnn.com”. Uh, what? Your entire show is driven by popularity? Not by importance of story? Bra-vo. Nice ‘journalism’ there.

When I get ready for bed, I catch The Daily Show. And guess what? The Daily show actually touches on more actual NEWS than Headline News, Faux News, CNN, MSNBC, and the like. Sure, Jon Stewart is funnier than the average anchorman, but the show lets us know how ridiculous our government, the world, and the media have gotten. And how insulated the average United States resident is. I'll say it again. The Daily show has more news than an actual news show. Although I love The Daily Show, this is moronic. Even when Jon Stewart has an idiot neocon as his guest, he's cordial, unbias, and un-offensive, unlike Bill ‘cut his mic’ O'Reily.

There is a WAR going on. Only when a soldier dies do we hear ANYTHING about it in ‘real’ news. HUNDREDS of INNOCENT People are dying in car bombs just about everyday, yet there is only 15 seconds a day dedicated to that, and 5 hours on VA Tech. Not that VA Tech is not tragic, but 33 people is nothing compared to the rest of the world's problems. Are we so conceited to think the rest of the world is mourning with us?

People in America need to wake up a little, and look past their own noses. World events concern AMERICANS as well. There's more to REAL news than just knowing when the next Harry Potter book comes out. Just because it's not popular doesn't mean it's not news.

Then again, it's not called “programming” for nothing, eh?

End of rant. Go watch American Idol.
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:52PM
Aurora Moon at 12:46PM, April 23, 2007
(offline)
I so argee with you!!

I was so fucking sick and tired of hearing about Anna Nicole that and this when I was wanting to hear more about what was happening in the Iraq War and on Bush's attempt to passing an bill so that he could spend more on his precious little war.

the news act as if all everyone cares about is what some famous whore's child fate is, how the famous whore died, etc…

guess what? I… Don't… care. and like 8 other people I know certainly doesn't care that much neither!

and the other thing that pissed me off was how when they were comparing Obama to Osama, and comparing the poor guy to bin laden, etc just all because thier name sounds simlar. WTF? thats the most retarded thing I've EVER heard….

Just because thier name sounds simlar doesn't mean they're the same…thats like saying an person named Charlie Hoffer is the same as an guy named James Hoff. New flash.. just because two people have simlar or nearly idenical last names doesn't mean that they are fucking related.
Christ, the guy's black not arabic or even middle-eastern!
The News media is like a bunch of children trying to be clever and failing HARD!
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:10AM
Phantom Penguin at 1:30PM, April 23, 2007
(offline)
Pff a soldier dieing or a car bomb gets a blip on the bottom of the screen now. Nothing more. I try not to watch the news I see on TV. Sometimes I do, just for comic material.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:42PM
Triss at 2:23PM, April 23, 2007
(offline)
Absolutely. Actually, a survey showed that those who watched Fox News or other media with a right-wing bias were the least informed on actual current events, while those who watched the Daily Show and/or the Colbert Report are among the most informed.
“When once the morning star shall rise, when earth with shadow flees away, and we stand safe within the door, then you shall lift the veil thereof…”
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:34PM
Hijuda at 2:25PM, April 23, 2007
(offline)
This is why I don't watch the news. Well, it's really because I'm way too lazy to, but that also factors in some.

Aurora Moon
and the other thing that pissed me off was how when they were comparing Obama to Osama, and comparing the poor guy to bin laden, etc just all because thier name sounds simlar. WTF? thats the most retarded thing I've EVER heard….

Umm… wasn't that just a joke on The Daily Show? I'm pretty sure that was just for comedic value. Unless you mean that some other network did that SERIOUSLY.
It's a comic!

LOLOL LAMFAO
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:48PM
subcultured at 2:45PM, April 23, 2007
(online)
i don't have a tv in my room.
i get my news through the web because i can compare the subject to different sources. the tv news is too filtered for me.
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:02PM
ozoneocean at 2:50PM, April 23, 2007
(online)
Hijuda
Umm… wasn't that just a joke on The Daily Show? I'm pretty sure that was just for comedic value. Unless you mean that some other network did that SERIOUSLY.
No. That was a joke about something said on fox… I'm pretty sure.

People who don't pay attention to any news are even worse. There are decent news sources on the radio, and the net has some good ones. The Google news service that brings up stories from all over the place is useful. Plus there's plent of good quality internet radio… BBC, DW radio, Radio Netherlands, News Radio Australia, NPR, etc.
Some good news sites too. Al Jezeria is one of the best.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:26PM
kingofsnake at 2:53PM, April 23, 2007
(online)
I only ever got my news from jon stewart. I havent' had cable for a few months now, so I tend to get my news from you guys. I refuse to watch local news. It's a waste of time
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:16PM
Aurora Moon at 3:22PM, April 23, 2007
(offline)
Hijuda
This is why I don't watch the news. Well, it's really because I'm way too lazy to, but that also factors in some.

Aurora Moon

actually there was something on CNN that they did seriously, where they actually showed a picture of osama bin laden alongside Obama as he was talking…. as to compare between the two. they were actually talking about how the names sounded way too simlar.
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
Phantom Penguin at 3:37PM, April 23, 2007
(offline)
This happened SEVERAL times:

subcultured at 3:47PM, April 23, 2007
(online)
i get the feeling that thye wouldn't do this to him if he was white.
a minority who is thinking of running for president with an unamerican name is like a target for the media.

i mean they wouldn't say “chain me” instead of cheney would they?
damn sabotage and character assasination
J
ozoneocean at 4:17PM, April 23, 2007
(online)
subcultured
I wish they would! That's quite funny… I'll never forget Colin Powel's constant deliberite mispronunciation of “Sadam” as “Sodom”… Even in front of the entire UN! The sheer juvenile stupidity of it… Spriter humour for a man of his reputation and position? But then I suppose he keeps the old rude rude nickname pronunciation of his own name from his officer training days. Adults are meant to grow out of that sort of thing though!

Sorry for the non sequitur, that's just an old bugbear with me. :)

Hijuda at 6:40PM, April 23, 2007
(offline)
Aurora Moon
actually there was something on CNN that they did seriously, where they actually showed a picture of osama bin laden alongside Obama as he was talking…. as to compare between the two. they were actually talking about how the names sounded way too simlar.

Seriously? Damn, who the hell puts this on the air? Well, if Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck can get on the air, I guess there's no limit to what can happen…
It's a comic!

LOLOL LAMFAO
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:48PM
Hawk at 1:13AM, April 24, 2007
(online)
I think what bothers me most about the news is the way the media grabs onto and exploits tragedies.

When they're talking about VA Tech, a kidnapping, or even just a car chase, you know it's all about ratings. They drag the report on, filling it with fluff, and pretending they're giving you new information. They'll jump to conclusions, talk to so-called “experts”, and do anything to keep you glued to their channel.

The way they do kidnappings bothers me too. It's great that they're alerting everyone to a nation-wide search for that one kid, but it's just because their parents are rich or important. What about all the other kids that were kidnapped? Were they not important?
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:45PM
snark at 4:53AM, April 24, 2007
(offline)
Heh, I remember CNN commenting on Obama's name sounding similar to Osama…that was so damned stupid >__<

Still, if you guys think that these are all ratings based, wait till you see the current affairs programs they show down here in Australia, its a bloody insult to think the producers believe people are dumb enough to watch their shit! Every damn story must have a victim and a villain! EVERY. DAMN. ONE. And thats if the stories are even true, they've been known to broadcast stories based purely on word of mouth with no prior research…

Well, thats my rant, peace out.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:49PM
Phantom Penguin at 5:36AM, April 24, 2007
(offline)
Faux news had “Obama watch” where they pointed out:

-pictures of him shirtless
-that he smoked
-huessian was his middle name
-he went to a maddrasa (when he really did not)
-raised a muslim
kyupol at 7:18AM, April 24, 2007
(online)
The news channels suck.

I rather watch Alex Jones. :)
NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:25PM
subcultured at 7:25AM, April 24, 2007
(online)
Phantom Penguin

-that he smoked
-raised a muslim

yea fox is racist

here's the untouched version:

(notice how they had an african american on to call obama “black”)

my version, something i spliced together.
that middle part shows how it's not funny to laugh with racist people.

i spliced out the buffer sentences like “he is educated/a nice guy” and kept what they
really mean.i did not add the laugh track, this was suppose to be a comedy news show.
J
ccs1989 at 3:04PM, April 24, 2007
(online)
Chris Matthews, who hosts Hardball on MSNBC, is one of the only journalists worth watching anymore. I even stopped watching the Daily Show awhile ago because I felt they weren't quite as funny after a lot of their key faux-anchors left.

Fox News is the worst though. Some jerk on Fox News said to Ben Stein “I think I see a chain and sickle on your forehead” when Stein was talking about a way in which he disagreed with Bush. Ben Stein? He's an ardent Republican! They accuse him of being a communist! If that's not baised I don't know what is.
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:38AM
kyupol at 5:28PM, April 24, 2007
(online)
Another thing I observed:

American//Western life = losing $1,000,000

3rd World Country life = losing $0.02
NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:25PM
SpANG at 6:25AM, April 25, 2007
(online)
Aurora Moon
Phantom Penguin

-that he smoked
-raised a muslim
When people with brains should be asking “Why would any of those points matter?”

Heh. We could have a whole thread dedicated to Barack Obama, but I will say this:
The conservatiove base is scared to death of him.
Why? Because more black people in the south may come out and vote than ever before. And If they do, the republican base doesn't have a chance. That's the only reason for the unprovoked, unfounded, and just plain evil smear tactics.

I encourage you ALL to watch this video. I won't embed it because it's huge and it runs automatically. This gives you the real truth behind Fox News:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6737097743434902428&q=outfoxed&hl=en
Roguehill at 8:23AM, April 25, 2007
(offline)
I own a TV, but it's not connnected to anything but a VCR/DVD player. I highly recommend it.

It does give one fewer things to complain about, and makes commercials seem even stranger.

GHOST ZERO
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:09PM
SpANG at 8:42AM, April 25, 2007
(online)
Roguehill
I own a TV, but it's not connnected to anything but a VCR/DVD player. I highly recommend it.
So you're solution is to just ignore it? Where do you get your information? Aside from a few exception, the bias is even worse.

That's why I listen to NPR. Unless you are listening to an editorial, you are getting FACTS. I've been a little discouraged lately because in order to make things seem more ‘balanced’ they have brought in more pundits.

I really HATE the way news organizations are pressured to ‘balance ’ things. It's simple: There are FACTS and there are LIES (or at the very least, OPINONS). ‘Truth’ is not found somewhere in between the two.
Roguehill at 10:26AM, April 25, 2007
(offline)
SpANG
So you're solution is to just ignore it? Where do you get your information? Aside from a few exception, the bias is even worse.

……who's information did you want me to listen to? I read my news on the internet or hear it on NPR…..which is biased, of course.

After all, there is someone, somewhere deciding on “what is news” and “what isn't”. Deciding on what news agency to listen to is like saying “which of the bad candidates did you want to vote for”? I think that what people are being shocked by isn't that news is biased in some way….but that the veneer of “unbiasedness” is completely gone.

News has ALWAYS been about entertainment. Don't be fooled.

GHOST ZERO
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:09PM
ozoneocean at 2:23PM, April 25, 2007
(online)
Roguehill
News has ALWAYS been about entertainment. Don't be fooled.
True to an extent, but the services aren't equal by any means lol! These are some of the very best:
The Google news service that brings up stories from all over the place is useful. Plus there's plenty of good quality internet radio… BBC, DW radio, Radio Netherlands, News Radio Australia, NPR, etc.
Some good news sites too. Al Jezeria is one of the best.
The “candidates” aren't all bad. US services compete by sensationalising local, parochial issues. The services I've listed sell themselves on reputations of balance, perception of non-bias, and quality of international content.

BBC world is more directed towards a US market though- which is it's largest audience, unlike the local BBC services of course.

ozoneocean at 9:16PM, April 26, 2007
(online)
Ha! I just remembered the absolute funniest, worst and most tragic news story I ever saw!

It was right at the start of the Iraq Invasion, A tiny little boy had had both his arms and legs blown off in a strike by US forces. They were doing a live interview, a correspondent on the spot was relaying the questions of this fucking imbecile newswoman in the studio:
A very young boy, both his arms and legs blown of in a bombing by US planes (a fact not in dispute), and she asked him: "How do you feel?"
Hahahaha!
Guess how he answered?
This way: "I hate the USA!
For some reason this shocked moronic newswoman to her socks! She spluttered and then forced out: ”But, but, doesn't he know what we're doing FOR his country and his people???"

At the point the correspondent on the spot was clearly embarrassed about the situation and directed her attention towards the boy's current condition and the reason for it. Needless to say, things were cut short. I think that was actually CNN!

But there was bad quality news all through the invasion, one of the dumb ones: The Saddam statue being pulled down and the only Iraqis there cheering were a handful specially shipped in for the cameras from OUTSIDE Iraq. Add to that the event happened across the road from where the press were staying… But they still reported it as some kind of popular event.
“Embedded” Journalists means useless Propaganda officers. This was WW2 style reporting. Looks like they learned SOME lessons from Vietnam .

Aurora Moon at 10:35AM, April 27, 2007
(offline)
ccs1989
Fox News is the worst though. Some jerk on Fox News said to Ben Stein “I think I see a chain and sickle on your forehead” when Stein was talking about a way in which he disagreed with Bush. Ben Stein? He's an ardent Republican! They accuse him of being a communist! If that's not baised I don't know what is.

could I see some video link to that? I want to see that for myself.
reconjsh at 4:36PM, April 28, 2007
(online)
ozoneocean
subcultured
I wish they would! That's quite funny… I'll never forget Colin Powel's constant deliberite mispronunciation of “Sadam” as “Sodom”… Even in front of the entire UN! The sheer juvenile stupidity of it… Spriter humour for a man of his reputation and position? But then I suppose he keeps the old rude rude nickname pronunciation of his own name from his officer training days. Adults are meant to grow out of that sort of thing though!

Sorry for the non sequitur, that's just an old bugbear with me. :)
Bust 1 did that too.

I'm frustrated with the news too. But instead of giving up (I'm not suggesting anyone else here has though), I just go to a larger variety of them to try to put together the “truth”.

I watch both Fox News and MSNBC (one very left and one very right) as well as everything in between. I read independant blogs as well as mainstream websites. And I like Spang's comment about the Daily Show (and Colbert Report)… they seem to report more news in 30 minutes than network stations in a whole day.

I guess I'd rather be busy and informed than not frustrated but ignorant. I don't mind putting in the extra effort of getting the same “news” from multiple sources.

What really kills me though is how network tv clings on to a story so tightly sometimes. Like Anna Nichole Smith. sigh. I watch and say “aren't people dying in Iraq right now? How's our economy doing? Isn't there grass growing some place?” sheesh.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:02PM
ccs1989 at 7:18PM, April 29, 2007
(online)
If you want to get news, you can watch the new channels. They'll give what's “new”, but most of the time it's not important at all. If you want the “truth” then you'll need to go the extra distance. Unfortunately you'll probably have to suffer through some Fox News articles, but also read MSNBC, and then Al Jazeera to get a wider view of what's actually going on. Of course in the end it's up the each individual to interpret all that information.

You could also just stick to the NY Times.
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:38AM
rengori at 11:28PM, April 29, 2007
(offline)
I briefly touched on the absurdity of the media two months ago in Anything Goes for a filler issue during Day 20 of the “Anna Nicole Smith Media Orgy” [LINK], but the sad thing is that in only two months it's become a horridly severe understatement.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:05PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved