Drunk Duck Awards

I think the most helpful award is silly
harkovast at 6:45AM, Jan. 29, 2009
(online)
There is an award for most helpful drunk ducker.
To me, this is a ridiculous idea.
No, I am not saying being helpful is a waste of time. Being helpful is great adn should be encouraged.
But how can you give an award for it?
I've helped a couple of people out with their comics/promoting their comics, but since I jsut sent them PQ's to tell them what to do, hardly anyone knows.
Now I am not saying that makes me the person who deserves the award or anything, but I imagine there are loads and loads of people out there being helpful but not bragging about it or having their friends brag on their behalf, who stand zero chance of winning unless they actually happened to help one of the judges one time.
This award really rewards best self promotion surely?

For more Harkovast related goings on, go to the Harkovast Forum
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:42PM
amanda at 7:35AM, Jan. 29, 2009
(online)
The Most Helpful Award was really “Best Admin” in disguise. The people who were nominated help everyone pretty much all the time. I thought it was a wonderful award and a great way to acknowledge some people who we tend to take for granted.

I understand where you're coming from though - DD is an amazing community, and we're all helping out fellow comickers behind the scenes. Most people you specifically assist will be awesome and give you instant appreciation, but you're right - you get little to no community recognition for work like that.

When we start mapping out a list of categories for the 2009 awards, this one will definitely be discussed. Thanks for your feedback!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:51AM
skoolmunkee at 10:42AM, Jan. 30, 2009
(online)
I really wish Plat had followed through with their promises to improve the site. The whole idea of the Karma thing that Volte didn't have time for was a way to reward people who are quietly helpful. A long time ago, we used to have ‘cookies’ which users would be given by the system for each page they uploaded. they could ‘spend’ those cookies by giving them to other DDers (usually in return for something nice and/or helpful)… but that was about it, people could brag about their amount of cookies. I don't think the amt of cookies was even displayed publicly.

The Karma system was meant to be a public indicator of other people's valuing of that DDer- so people who were helpful would stand out and their votes/comments would contribute extra in some way to a comic's ranking. It would also become obvious which people were jerks or not helpful, and people with negative karma would also have a lesser effect on a comic's ranking.

Unfortunately I guess it was too complicated for Volte to actually implement, and Plat never got around to bothering with that kind of complicated change…
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:42PM
oldguy85 at 9:15PM, July 24, 2009
(offline)
Yep the award should stand… as most helpful admin. or author.
Admins put in a lot of work.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:21PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved