Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

I understand if i look like an idiot but i need to ask?
Ateljux at 12:25PM, July 20, 2009
(offline)
Hey ive been looking over the forum for about 30 minutes trying to find the right section to post this in but alas ive read all the rules and still have no idea.
So please forgive me if this is in the wrong area but i did try….

ok here goes…

Lately ive been on a webcomic wave of sorts.Ideas and drawings i was just pumping out, but now ive begun to slow down again a problem presented itself.
I have two webcomics fully developed in my head and started on paper.
Thats the problem though i like them both alot but i have no idea which one i should start properly and put all my time into, i will eventually get both up but the first one will take up at least a few months.

So i need advice how would you guys go about deciding between two of your most loved ideas?
Click the link,get taken to my webcomic: Abram goes to HELL.

and now Just wing it, a post apocalyptic comic, dark humour:
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:02AM
PIT_FACE at 12:40PM, July 20, 2009
(online)
if you love them both equally, then what i'd do is start with the one that has the most preparation into it, as in you understand where the story will go, at least at first.

otherwise, start with the one you have the most passion about, also remember, you build up your workload here as you see fit. you may get going on one and then later find a good spot where you can enter the other one.

and you might take this wrong at first, but dont take yourself as seriously. im nost saying dont do your best, and imn ot saying belittle youself, but when you pick which one, understand that you've got room to do what you feel you need too.
also, the right section would have been comic discussion.

hope it goes well for ya.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:45PM
therealtj at 12:47PM, July 20, 2009
(online)
Hmm, tips and tricks might've been the other forum for this, but I don't know…

Anyway, as for your choice, I think you should consider these things:

-Which one are you more inspired to make? If you start a comic and you lose inspiration half way through, it will probably be just another one of the many abandoned comics that could have actually done well.
-Which one do friends/family members think is better? If you pick a great idea first, then build up a decent fanbase, they'll probably stick around for the second comic.
-Which one would be easier to make? You don't want to wipe yourself out, and lose your inspiration.

Hope that helps. :)

“The only moral it is possible to draw from this story is that one should never throw the letter Q into a privet bush, but unfortunately there are times when it is unavoidable.”
-Douglas Adams, The Restaurant At the End of the Universe
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:27PM
Polkster at 1:55PM, July 20, 2009
(online)
Merge them into some wacky chimera comic.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:47PM
DefaultNick at 5:58PM, July 20, 2009
(online)
I dont know much about makeing comics, so i may give you a wrong advice, but i like giving wrong advices8P
I think you should start with the comic that you like LESS. Why? Because during your first work you will gain vital experience, and because of that your work may get… shapeshiftty… (yeah i like makeing up new words) Unless you are a pro artist. And all the experiments will end up in your comic being messy. Than, when you finish it, you will already be a developed artist, you will start your next comic and it will be perfect, everyone will love you, and a giant Benjamin Franklin will thank you for bringing quality art to the world!
Pardon my english.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:10PM
ifelldownthestairs at 10:57PM, July 20, 2009
(online)
I say pick one at random; and if you get that flicker of “aw crap” in your head, go with the other one.
you know why birds don't write their memoirs? because birds don't lead epic lives, that's why. who'd want to read what a bird does? nobody. that's who.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:56PM
BffSatan at 11:09PM, July 20, 2009
(online)
Write one comic with your left hand and write the other with your right hand.

(Actually do what Ifelldownthestairs said, that's what I always do when I can't decide between two equally acceptable choices, deep down their is always one choice that is preferred.)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:21AM
Ateljux at 5:21AM, July 21, 2009
(offline)
Hey guys thanks for all the quick advice.The reason i can only do one for now is because of time and unreliable equipment ^^.
Everyone's advice came in handy and ive finally decided thanks all :)
Ive decided on my first idea its the most developed and i think i secretly prefer it (dont tell the other ^_^ )
I should have the first pages up real soon!

last edited on July 14, 2011 11:02AM
BlueLink at 7:42PM, July 22, 2009
(offline)
What you could do, is just start on one, and work on extremely hard. Then when you run out of ideas, and hate drawing the charaters because you did 100 or so pages. Then jump right on the next one. You'll refresh yourself with a new comic and draw it until your sick of that. Then crawl back to your first one and start it again. I might do two comics myself, and I find it fun just to jump between two comics. However, selecting one will be difficult. My suggestion would be to write down every single idea out, the one with the most idea should be the comic you should do.

However, it looks like you got your idea. So I hoped I've helped in someway.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:29AM
Samota at 9:16AM, Aug. 1, 2009
(offline)
i have alot of stories ideas too so when i decided to start on Mai Angel it was because i thought i was more prepared to do that one instead of my other story because that one was more actiony and i knew i was not ready for that yet. but the more and more i draw Mai Angel the more and more i feel that im improving enough to draw my other story….its all up to you and what you feel is better for ya…
Well i'd love to stay and chat but your a b*tch!:)
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:21PM
ozoneocean at 9:56AM, Aug. 1, 2009
(online)
Ateljux
Hey ive been looking over the forum for about 30 minutes trying to find the right section to post this in but alas ive read all the rules and still have no idea.
Tips and tricks baby, it's obvious! ;)

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:34PM
Ateljux at 6:20PM, Aug. 1, 2009
(offline)
Hey tanks for the continuing support on this matter lol
ive started up and im on page 4 the problem is…somthings wrong with it O.o
The story and drawings arnt going the way i wanted them to, they seemed to have gone in a different direction (somehow!) and now ive got somthing which isnt like what i had planned?. i mean how the hell does that happen when your the one drawing and planning it?

last edited on July 14, 2011 11:03AM
lothar at 8:53PM, Aug. 1, 2009
(online)
the way i usually handle the problem of having two ideas that i want to do is that i come up with a third idea to distract me away from the other two so that they sit in a pile on the floor while i waste time with yet another idea , then i get bored of that and come up with a forth idea and maybe a fifth and by this time i forgot about the originals or even where i put the plans for the original stuff
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:45PM
lefarce at 11:30PM, Aug. 1, 2009
(online)
Ateljux

ok here goes…

Lately ive been on a webcomic wave of sorts.Ideas and drawings i was just pumping out, but now ive begun to slow down again a problem presented itself.
I have two webcomics fully developed in my head and started on paper.
Thats the problem though i like them both alot but i have no idea which one i should start properly and put all my time into, i will eventually get both up but the first one will take up at least a few months.

So i need advice how would you guys go about deciding between two of your most loved ideas?

I had the idea for Le Farce and Zodiac at the same time. The way I went about picking which to start on was to go with the project that would take less time and effort, using it as warm-up for the bigger picture - if that makes sense.

Typically I would say “go with the easier one, so you'll be good enough to tackle the larger project later”, but everyone works in a different way. There really isnt a definitive answer.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:33PM
Ateljux at 5:37PM, Aug. 4, 2009
(offline)
Damn wish i would have read that comment first lol seems ive developed a new problem.Thought id post it in my first post to save a needless thread and you guys seem to know what your talking about ^_^
anyway i cant seem to get my comic not only to go the way i wanted it to but also the layout is sucking.
I wanted my story to be direct but i cant seem to get it to show it i want my comic to have like four big panels a page but somehow idiot me decides to do about ten :/
i think im trying to get the story in large bulk but i want the other kind lol i just dont know what to do :(

last edited on July 14, 2011 11:03AM
Jarrod at 4:53PM, Aug. 6, 2009
(offline)
Polkster
Merge them into some wacky chimera comic.

Or, make them have sex with each-other and have some sort of god-forsaken love child of two ideas.

Anything with sex is better.
Draw.

Pew. Pew. Pew.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:07PM
Aevalor at 8:00AM, Aug. 10, 2009
(offline)
Ateljux
anyway i cant seem to get my comic not only to go the way i wanted it to but also the layout is sucking.

Try doing “thumbnails” of your pages before you draw them if you aren't already, that way you can mess up without having to erase lots of hard work. I save a lot of time on bad ideas that way and get to play around with paneling.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:46AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved