Media Megaforum

I watched some weird shows when I was a very young 'un.
ParkerFarker at 7:30PM, Feb. 12, 2011
(online)

I remember watching these shows from when I was very little… so about 8 or 9 years ago haha. But yeah, they seem like such odd shows for little kids but I remember loving them. I've been rediscovering loads of old shows that I loved. Unfortunately I have no idea how to get my hands on a dvd of them or anything. I'll keep up the search, but.

Does anyone else from australia remember these shows?

“We are in the stickiest situation since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun.” - Blackadder
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:39PM
ozoneocean at 8:09PM, Feb. 12, 2011
(online)
Plasmo was bloody brilliant! I think the first episodes were on Eat Carpet on SBS or ;ate night on the ABC after Rage or something… I was so glad when they started showing more eps at normal times. That show was fantastic ^_^

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:37PM
ParkerFarker at 8:14PM, Feb. 12, 2011
(online)
Plasmo was bloody amazing. I wanted to buy the DVD of it but the website it's on is out of stock. I emailed the guy who made it, though. It's such a quality show.

And I came across some really amazing claymations during my quest for plasmo and the gogs. Canhead.
That and the other by him are just stunning.

“We are in the stickiest situation since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun.” - Blackadder
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:39PM
ozoneocean at 6:02AM, Feb. 13, 2011
(online)
ParkerFarker
Plasmo was bloody amazing. I wanted to buy the DVD of it but the website it's on is out of stock. I emailed the guy who made it, though. It's such a quality show.

And I came across some really amazing claymations during my quest for plasmo and the gogs. Canhead.
That and the other by him are just stunning.
Canhead was great! Thanks for that :)

BffSatan at 6:22AM, Feb. 13, 2011
(online)
Oh man, I remember Plasmo; I used to love that show.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:21AM
Faliat at 6:41AM, Feb. 13, 2011
(online)
Nope. But I had these:

I don't understand Gaelic, but both I and my parents found it pretty damn hilarious at times.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GOj3Kj_74c

There's no mistaking it. This was originally meant for stoned students. Then again, you wouldn't need drugs to get high off watching it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zqLFNtzVEU

I also used to watch Australian shows sometimes. I remember having chicken soup because my hamster had just died and I thought it would be a good idea to watch Round The Twist to cheep myself up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvGmEf9tH0I
It put me off my soup. I don't think I had the same type for about two years afterward.

Call that jumped up metal rod a knife?
Watch mine go straight through a kevlar table, and if it dunt do the same to a certain gaixan's skull in my immediate vicinity after, I GET A F*****G REFUND! BUKKO, AH?!

- Rekkiy (NerveWire)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:25PM
ayesinback at 12:35PM, Feb. 13, 2011
(online)
I don't know these shows at all (a dearth of Aussie TV here in the States), but going by the thread, I'm saying the show I watched was weird simply because three year olds should not watch COMBAT.

But when my Dad was the babysitter, he hunkered down to watch his shows, and that's what I saw. *explains quite a bit*

Otherwise: Captain Kangaroo, Romper Room, Astroboy (I Loved it) and Gigantor (there's a theme song for that other thread)
under new management
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:14AM
Faliat at 8:56AM, Feb. 14, 2011
(online)
If you think kids shouldn't watch combat then you probably wouldn't agree that this show is for kids, either. But it was. And I watched it when I was a little bit older than when I watched the first two shows above.
It isn't really Scotland specific, either. But then most things I watched weren't.

Anyway, here's my most favourite TV show when I was 4 at one of it's most brutal scenes of the first series.
Even though character deaths had already happened before this episode, this one still gives my sister nightmares.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ivg-5kIHVA

I remember the death of pheasant in episode 5 scaring me more, though. But nobody really remembers it as well as the above.

The series frequently suffers from mood whiplash to put it lightly.

“Right. We've just killed off another character. What do we do now?”
“Cut to the designated comic relief and make everybdy forget that somebody has just died?”
“You, sir are promoted!”

Call that jumped up metal rod a knife?
Watch mine go straight through a kevlar table, and if it dunt do the same to a certain gaixan's skull in my immediate vicinity after, I GET A F*****G REFUND! BUKKO, AH?!

- Rekkiy (NerveWire)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:25PM
ozoneocean at 8:26PM, Feb. 16, 2011
(online)
ayesinback
Otherwise: Captain Kangaroo, Romper Room, Astroboy (I Loved it) and Gigantor (there's a theme song for that other thread)
The only place I know captain Kangeroo from is that song…
“countn' flowers on the wall, it don't bother me at all,
Watchin' captin Kangaroo,
Now don't tell me, I've nothin' to do”

I loved Astro Boy as a kid… it was so sad in so many episodes though :(
The Japanese love their tragedy.
Faliat
The series frequently suffers from mood whiplash to put it lightly.

“Right. We've just killed off another character. What do we do now?”
“Cut to the designated comic relief and make everybdy forget that somebody has just died?”
“You, sir are promoted!”
Funny that Farthing Wood was so “watership Down” but without the same awareness of tragedy.
I watched some of that years ago but was too old for it and couldn't get into it.
Britain has a long history of animal focussed stories… Ricki Ticki Tarvi, Tarka the Otter, Peter rabbit, Watership Down… probably many, man more!

One of my fave and (slightly strange) kids shows that I liked was a British series about some kids in WW2 that raided a crashed German bomber for its guns and set up their own secret AA gun position.
Later on I found out that was based on a true story O_o

bravo1102 at 11:36PM, Feb. 16, 2011
(online)
ayesinback
I don't know these shows at all (a dearth of Aussie TV here in the States), but going by the thread, I'm saying the show I watched was weird simply because three year olds should not watch COMBAT.

But when my Dad was the babysitter, he hunkered down to watch his shows, and that's what I saw. *explains quite a bit*
\

It didn't help that channel 5 in New York ran it right after Thunderbirds and just before Abbott and Costello.

Wonderful World of Disney on Sunday nights was followed by Adam-12, Emergency and Dragnet. My growth chart in grade school was how long I could stay up to watch the next show in the line-up. By the time I was 12 I was up to 11pm and watching the US first run of Monty Python's Flying Circus.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:34AM
meemjar at 10:17AM, March 18, 2011
(offline)
If you want to talk about wacky Australian TV shows how about THIS one;

“King Arthur and his square Knights of the Round Table.”

It defies description. You'd have to see it to comprehend it.lol!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:58PM
dragonestea at 4:48PM, April 27, 2011
(online)
When my kid brother and sister were really little and I was sort of really little I used to whatch Teletubbies. looking back on it now I realize just how trippy that show really was. It started off with what I swear were talking shower heads popping out of the ground to say “time for teletubbies”. Then these four colossal neon abominations before God would come out. The green one must have gotten his suit wet at some point or something, because I always remember thinking his face was really fucked up. Then they would engage in random acts of randomness until a pinwheel started to spin, signifying that it was time for one of them to play a short little movie from the televisions that were apparently surgically attatched to their stomachs. Twice. Then there was the nunu, a posessed vacuum that ate fricking everything. Oh, and did I mention that there was A BABY IN THE SUN?!?!?!? I sometimes wonder whether it's a requirement for kid's show creators to be high on LSD all the time.
[
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:14PM
ayesinback at 5:08PM, April 27, 2011
(online)
Teletubbies. you reminded me of two earlier atrocities

under new management
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:14AM
HippieVan at 10:15PM, April 28, 2011
(online)
I've never had cable tv so when I was a kid, all I got to watch was CBC. I don't know if it had to do with CanCon rules or what, but there were some weird shows on there. Mr Meaty, Bing and Bong, and Slim Pig are three that pop into my head right away. Oh! And Yam Roll! I used to love that guy.
Of course there were nice shows too, like Mr Dressup and Fred Penner's Place. Is Fred Penner known in other places? He's from my hometown so he's pretty popular here.
The NFB shorts were always great to watch, too. This is one of my favourites:

I guess Canadian television is a little lame or dull compared to exciting American television, but I still like it.
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
Have a comic milestone, a community project or some comic-related news you’d like to see in
a newspost? Send it to me via PQ or at hippievannews(at)gmail.com!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:50PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved