General Discussion

I'm Going to College
Short_Circuiting at 5:49PM, Nov. 13, 2007
(offline)
lol, you guys keep saying that, but i honestly don't care if they just want my money, as long as i get the training and experience i need out of them.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:35PM
RentAThug at 6:59PM, Nov. 13, 2007
(online)
I'm both surprised and amused at how expensive the colleges that people are mentioning are. I've been going to the University of Alberta for three and a half years now and have been hearing the Students Union whine ineffectually about how tuition in Alberta the entire time. Tuition is roughly $5000 a year. If tuition was all of a sudden $14,000 a year I honestly think some of our “student politicians” (I find student politics to be total bullshit and a waste of my tuition money, but that's a rant for another time) would be reduced to quivering masses that no longer possessed the will to live.

Crime Pays, updating Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:05PM
Rutger at 6:59AM, Nov. 14, 2007
(offline)
Is it just me or is tuition over there just ridiculously expensive? I'm planning on studying English in the near future, and the school I'll be attending at wil cost me roughly 1600 bucks a year. It'll take me 4 years to get the basics, and if I'd be willing, I could go one fo ranother year or two, to reach a higher level. But ell, even after six years I'd be cheaper off than most of you in two…

K.A.L.A.-dan! rutGAR desu!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:14PM
bbr at 7:10AM, Nov. 14, 2007
(online)
Depends on the level of education here i think.
MBO and HBO and the like here is about 1800 Euros.

I know the Piloting education is over 100.000, med school around 10.000, so it varies.

Not sure about the USA though.
but it mostly works on the basis of getting goverment funding / scholarship.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:15AM
Rutger at 7:16AM, Nov. 14, 2007
(offline)
Yeah, that makes sense. The study I want to do is HBO, so that'll be about right.

TheMidge28 at 8:19AM, Nov. 14, 2007
(online)
*response…just because*
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:22PM
Short_Circuiting at 1:07PM, Nov. 14, 2007
(offline)
TheMidge28
*response…just because*

midge has brainworms. let's throw him off a cliff.
Rutger at 2:23PM, Nov. 14, 2007
(offline)
I know this awesome cliff not too far away from here. Although we'd have to go at nigt, since it's kind of a restricted area…so bring flashlights.

bbr at 6:08AM, Nov. 15, 2007
(online)
Short_Circuiting
TheMidge28
*response…just because*

midge has brainworms. let's throw him off a cliff.

He's trying to reach 3000 posts before the weekend.
Once he gets there, the admins will set his post counter back to -3000

Rutger
I know this awesome cliff not too far away from here. Although we'd have to go at nigt, since it's kind of a restricted area…so bring flashlights.

We have cliffs in holland? O_O
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:15AM
Rutger at 10:06AM, Nov. 15, 2007
(offline)
bbr
Rutger

We have cliffs in holland? O_O

Yes…yes we do. Shush. They're…in…Limburg or something. Yeah, that makes sense…Limburg has mountains, so why not cliffs?

Poke Alster at 11:03AM, Nov. 16, 2007
(offline)
I thought holland was as flat as it could be?
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:46PM
junoblairb at 5:12PM, Nov. 17, 2007
(online)
Not to get us back on topic or anything-

The point of the Art Institute is to start everyone at the beginning. No matter how incredible your art is, you will start with Fundamentals. And if your art is nothing more than mediocre you can start out in Graphic Design and move up to Animation after your second or third quarter. But I think the last thing you should worry about is them not accepting you because of your art. You'll be fine there.

I went to the Art Institute back in 03/04 and I liked it okay. Never got past Fundamentals of Drawing because the class drove me crazy but I was able to slide into several of the higher animation classes and those were very interesting. My problem was paying $1200 for English and Math when I could have paid $90 and gotten the same education at one of the many fine community colleges around. That was ridiculous in my opinion.

I have heard that the job placement is not that great afterward at some Art Institutes and that some people struggle. I wouldn't know much on it - it's just what I've heard. And remember that the Animation/Graphics industry has a starting rate of $27-$30k a year and that's only if you're in a big metro area. So things to consider when looking at the industry and at your degree. Study it hard and find the areas that will get you more than poverty level in the end. Animation is definitely not one of them.

Yeeeah, not trying to be a downer, I swear! Just talking from experience. My ma always said if you can do what you love and find someone who will pay you for it you've made it at life. :D I'm totally enjoying the below poverty level part of my job because I love my job. :D
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:12PM
Poke Alster at 5:10AM, Nov. 18, 2007
(offline)
yep as long as youre happy in life is all what matters
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:46PM
Short_Circuiting at 5:18AM, Nov. 18, 2007
(offline)
junoblairb
Not to get us back on topic or anything-

The point of the Art Institute is to start everyone at the beginning. No matter how incredible your art is, you will start with Fundamentals. And if your art is nothing more than mediocre you can start out in Graphic Design and move up to Animation after your second or third quarter. But I think the last thing you should worry about is them not accepting you because of your art. You'll be fine there.

I went to the Art Institute back in 03/04 and I liked it okay. Never got past Fundamentals of Drawing because the class drove me crazy but I was able to slide into several of the higher animation classes and those were very interesting. My problem was paying $1200 for English and Math when I could have paid $90 and gotten the same education at one of the many fine community colleges around. That was ridiculous in my opinion.

I have heard that the job placement is not that great afterward at some Art Institutes and that some people struggle. I wouldn't know much on it - it's just what I've heard. And remember that the Animation/Graphics industry has a starting rate of $27-$30k a year and that's only if you're in a big metro area. So things to consider when looking at the industry and at your degree. Study it hard and find the areas that will get you more than poverty level in the end. Animation is definitely not one of them.

Yeeeah, not trying to be a downer, I swear! Just talking from experience. My ma always said if you can do what you love and find someone who will pay you for it you've made it at life. :D I'm totally enjoying the below poverty level part of my job because I love my job. :D

thank you for that excellent advice :3 it's good to know that you're happy with your job despite not being rich. being rich isn't important to me either, i'm used to being broke. what was it about fundamentals of drawing that you couldn't stand? the assignments, or the teacher, or the environment?
lothar at 5:28AM, Nov. 23, 2007
(online)
DANGER DANGER !!!
my basic rule is to google the name of the company + the words “bullshit” “assholes” and various other things, in this case “rip off”
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22art+institute%22+%22rip+off%22&btnG=Search

i've never actualy been to the place but i know peple who have and something tells me when theres money to be made they will accept you even if your portfolio consisted of crayon drawings of the power puff girls done on the back of a dominoes pizza box !

EDIT even if you don't care that all they want is your money , consider that many of their “graduates” learn not to mention that they graduated from Art Institute when looking for work !

this type of thing is all too familiar to me. it is reminiscent of the private Engrish schools here in Japan. it's just a big money maker and the students are all suckers !!!

dont be their mcslave !!!
you should look into the alternatives to this place and remember its just like a job - you are interveiwing them too !
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:45PM
Short_Circuiting at 6:36AM, Nov. 23, 2007
(offline)
lothar, you poast?? wow, this is the first time i've seen you do that. although your post count is pretty high. xP

that google search you sent me is a real eye-opener… it seems their student housing is not only expensive but horrible as well. and they are saying many of the schools aren't worth it. oh gosh, i just don't know what to do. it really seemed like a nice school when i went there. but all these people are saying bad things. all the art programs i looked at at other colleges were just as expensive. i feel so lost.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved