Debate and Discussion

I'm Not Racist
Freegurt at 11:15AM, March 7, 2009
(online)
Let me tell you, human rights are great. Giving rights to people who originally didn't have them is wonderful in fact. I'm all for that.

But what I don't understand is when you treat say, a woman, or a black man equally makes them furious with you. I don't get it, isn't that what equality is supposed to be?

I mean, really, I couldn't care less if you have green skin with seven eyes, if you're acting like an idiot, I'm going to tell you. You want to be treated like a person? I'll treat you like a person and not royalty.

What do you think? Because, I'm tired of the race card being played all the time to get what you want. Now, I'm not saying everyone does this. It's just been getting my goat lately. I mean, I'd respect you a whole lot more if you got ahead in the world with your brilliant mind and originality!

Not because you're black, or Asian or a woman ,etc.

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:31PM
The Author at 12:34PM, March 7, 2009
(online)
Now I'm not racist either, but I do agree with what you say!

We have some Muslim/Indians/whatever the hell they are ‘cos I don’t really care, working for the security company that I'm in. They get at much work as I do (which at the moment is minimum ‘cos of the economy), but for some reason they’re demanding more. The office says they don't have enough, and suddenly they pull the race card.

Pisses me off!
Aw crap, there goes my confidence again!
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:14PM
arteestx at 1:35PM, March 7, 2009
(online)
Freegurt
I mean, really, I couldn't care less if you have green skin with seven eyes, if you're acting like an idiot, I'm going to tell you. You want to be treated like a person? I'll treat you like a person and not royalty.
Philosophically, sure that makes sense. The problem comes in is “if you're acting like an idiot.” Because racism and sexism *does* take place in that area. Try being a woman and taking your car to get serviced. More often than not, you'll be treated as if you're an idiot and don't know anything about cars, much more so than a man who behaves exactly the same way. There was a famous study a few years ago that showed how resumes with black-sounding names don't get as many interviews as resumes with white-sounding names, even when the entire rest of the resume was exactly the same.

You say you don't discriminate based on sex or race, and I believe that you certainly don't consciously, and for all I know maybe you don't at all ever. But women and blacks *do* get treated differently in our society, and if they pull the “race card” at times when it's inappropriate, I think that pales in comparison to the times it still gets played against them.

Xolta is not intended for anyone under 18 years old.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:02AM
Aurora Moon at 4:56PM, March 7, 2009
(offline)
I have to agree with Arteestx.

Yes, there's times when whipping out the racist/discrimination card is just plain ridiculous…

BUT there's also times when it's valid to do so.

even though I'm white, I've also experienced discrimination due to the fact that I'm a DEAF woman.

You'd be surprised at how many people seems to think that I'm some sort of retard just simply because I'm deaf.

and in some cases that worsens just simply because I'm a woman…especially if I'm doing things or entering into a job profession that's usually occupied by men. So I get all those men who thinks that I'd be one of those “lazy women” who would get more time off than any men, do only half the work or suddenly get knocked up and go on maternity leave.
They treat me like that before they've actually given me a chance to prove myself, just simply because they believe in so-called studies comparing gender differences in the workplace.

Back in high school I took the jobs that was pretty much typical teenage jobs. One of them was at this McDonald joint, and the employer was pretty much an ass to me just because I was deaf. He would talk very slowly and LOUDLY right in my face, and say things like: “Remember, don't put your hands on the grill. it's HOT!”
I couldn't help but think: “WTF, dude? I'm 17 years old, not friggin' five years old!” and I had not done anything to merit that kind of treatment from him.
Needless to say, I filed an compliant against that employer. And when that didn't stop his behavior towards me, I quit quickly afterwards.

And I've had many other simlar bosses, even though they weren't as bad as that one.

now that would be a example of Bias/prejudice coloring what a person does, even if what they did wasn't outright discrimination. although they aren't actually directly cutting paychecks in half or harassing anybody…. their behavior still can make the workplace an uncomfortable place to be.

I feel that everyone has the right to call somebody out on what they might see as prejudiced behavior….even if they might end up being quite wrong about it.
There's always the chance that a black man could be wrong about that one white guy being racist, but there's also the chance that he could be right.
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:10AM
Skullbie at 5:50PM, March 7, 2009
(online)
I hear all the time about some innocent black or latino man getting harassed by the cops only to be proven he was innocent and getting and calling the race card. I strongly believe this type of discrimination is justified;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_the_United_States#Race_and_ethnicity
# Total population: 299 million
# White alone: 74% or 221.3 million
# Hispanic or Latino ethnicity, of any race: 14.8% or about 44.3 million
# Black or African American alone: 13.4% or 40.9 million

And then there's this http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/crimoff.htm
Someone
Based on current rates of first incarceration, an estimated 32% of black males will enter State or Federal prison during their lifetime, compared to 17% of Hispanic males and 5.9% of white males.

http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=57250
Someone
“Blacks commit more violent crime against whites than against other blacks.” Forty-five percent of the victims of violent crime by blacks are white folks, 43 percent are black, 10 percent are Hispanic.

Blacks are seven times as likely as people of other races to commit murder, eight times more likely to commit robbery and three times more likely to use a gun in a crime.

“Blacks are an estimated 39 times more likely to commit violent crime against a white person than vice versa, and 136 times more likely to commit robbery.” (If decent black folks have trouble hailing a cab, and they do, these numbers may help explain it.)

Black-on-white rape is 115 times more common than the reverse.

It's bullshit. They claim America is full of racists that need to respect them despite color differences- stop giving them a reason to discriminate with those crime rates!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:47PM
lothar at 7:53PM, March 7, 2009
(online)
“I'm not racist …”

it's really funny how the most racist comments are always seem to follow after those words

racism is not just about hating people and keeping them down . it's also about ignoring their problems , blaming them for your problems

those numbers Skull posted there are from none other than
Pat Buchanan

heres something else he said

pat
“In the next 50 years, the Third World will grow by the equivalent of 30 to 40 new Mexicos. If you go to the end of the century, the white and European population is down to about three percent. This is what I call the death of the West. I see the nations dying when the populations die. I see the civilization dying. It is under attack in our own countries, from our own people.”
sounds like a white supremacist to me
or this
pat
“I'd like the country I grew up in. It was a good country. I lived in Washington, D.C., – 400,000 black folks, 400,000 white folks, in a country 89 or 90 percent white. I like that country.”

anyway those statistics are very misleading , everybody knows that Afro-Americans are far more likely to be accused caught and convicted and serve longer sentences than whites
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:45PM
arteestx at 8:13PM, March 7, 2009
(online)
Skullbie
Someone
Based on current rates of first incarceration, an estimated 32% of black males will enter State or Federal prison during their lifetime, compared to 17% of Hispanic males and 5.9% of white males.
But I think there's a lot of grey area. For example,
some guy at Huffington Post
According to the National Survey on Drug Use and Health, among youths aged 12 to 17, the rate of current illicit drug use was 11.1% among whites, and 9.3% among African Americans. The Monitoring the Future Survey of high school seniors shows that white students annually use cocaine at 4.6 times the rate of African Americans students, use crack cocaine at 1.5 times the rate of African Americans students, and use heroin at the same rate of African Americans students, and that white youth report annual use of marijuana at a rate 46% higher than African American youth. However African American youth are arrested for drug offenses at about twice the rate (African American 314 per 100,000, white 175 per 100,000) times that of whites, and African American youth represent nearly half (48%) of all the youth incarcerated for a drug offense in the juvenile justice system.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/van-jones/are-blacks-a-criminal-rac_b_8398.html
Or this…
same person at Huffington Post
According to the Center on Disease Control's annual Youth Risk Behavior Survey, African Americans report being in a physical fight at a similar rate (36.5%, versus 32.5% for whites), but were arrested for aggravated assault at a rate nearly three times that of whites (137 per 100,000, versus 48 per 100,000).

I haven't had time to research all these numbers and verify them, because I know some will dismiss them immediately since they come from a liberal website like the Huffington Post. But the article is well footnoted with various sources, for what it's worth. I'm just suggesting that crime rates alone may not tell the whole story.

Xolta is not intended for anyone under 18 years old.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:02AM
Freegurt at 8:47PM, March 7, 2009
(online)
All right, I suppose I phrased that wrongly. I completely agree with each of you when anyone has the right to complain when discrimination does happen. I wasn't saying that you shouldn't complain when somebody is being racist, sexist, etc. In fact, you have to full right to complain!

What I was trying to say is, I'm annoyed when the race card is used in wrong way. Like in an argument. You know what I mean “Oh, it's because I'm black that, etc…etc…” That just bothers me.

I do apologize for the confusion. I didn't mean it in the way that it was taken. :P

BffSatan at 9:11PM, March 7, 2009
(online)
A while ago in Australia a cricket player called another cricket player a monkey. Why? Well he looked like a freaking monkey, it was all the zinc he had around his lips. But no, apparently that was racist, even though it was obvious that the comment had nothing to do with race.

Now here is the wierd bit, the guy who made that comment was Indian and the “monkey” was practically white, maybe a half or a quarter aboriginal. I really feel that the people who found this comment racist were being racist themselves and sided with the Australian because he was Australian and not Indian.

(I think I just topped my wierdest google search ever, to find that photo I searched, “Racist monkey cricket,” that might be a fun sport to play)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:20AM
Skullbie at 11:11PM, March 7, 2009
(online)

G.W.Bush looks like a monkey, it's okay to mock the president–

Haha, but no it really is racist.
Tantz Aerine at 12:38AM, March 8, 2009
(online)
lothar
racism is not just about hating people and keeping them down . it's also about ignoring their problems , blaming them for your problems

This is very true.

However, what happens when the positions are reversed? When does using race as a group qualifier (i.e. who belongs to what group, NOT whether a group is inferior or superior) stop being racist and just becomes objective?

Racism can be used to get across many illogical things. The latest example comes through the world crisis and this new ‘protectionism’ ‘issues’ regarding not people per se, but countries. With the motto ‘don’t be protectionist', they are virtually telling you that trying to protect your own country is racist, what you should be doing is let your country fall apart and its citizens face hell and instead do all you can to protect every other country there is out there.

You could argue that this can work if all the other countries practiced the same agenda, but with just one look one can see that it certainly is not the case. That is also racism, the same as if each country turned Nazi and kicked out all its immigrants.

Also, what happens if for example you find yourself treated as the enemy / the immigrant in your own country, and you watch how immigrants get the status of the citizen instead? Would you be racist if you pointed that out and instead asked that at least you are not discriminated against those you give hospitality to in your country?

For example, in Greece, an immigrant is entitled to state aid for all health matters, for special education if their kids need it (i.e. education for autistic kids or rehabilitation and the like), for several benefits and support for their kids if they have more than one, and favourable treatment in nearly all public sectors. A Greek has to pay some of the highest taxes in Europe and does NOT get full health coverage, does NOT get state special education if his/her kids need it, does NOT have any benefits and must justify what they do with the money they receive when they have managed to prove they must receive it (e.g. a state insurance fund which is obligatory to pay tax to, will cover 30-40% of your surgery and will demand that you present yourself weekly to a doctor to ensure that you are truly sick and you truly need the money for the medication and hospitalization, while for the same surgery and the same paperwork including one that states you are an immigrant you get full coverage and no parole officer terms. There was recently a scandal in Greece regarding handing out pensions to immigrants that only worked a year in Greece and which Greeks are entitled to only if they have worked for 35 years). If a Greek complains that he/she is being discriminated against by the Greek state, that Greek is called a racist.

That is pulling the racist card to oppress, and that is wrong. And twisted. And promoting real racism, too.

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:07PM
DAJB at 1:29AM, March 8, 2009
(online)
The problem is that, in the rush to protect minority rights, the corresponding rights of the majority are often forgotten or even trampled upon.

Freegurt is right. Genuine discrimination should be condemned. However, people who play the race card (or the sex card) when they are actually being subjected to exactly the same treatment as someone else who is white and/or male would in their position, are themselves being racist/sexist.

Tantz's is point is also valid. When newly arrived immigrants are given better treatment and rights than existing citizens (as many are), you should be able to criticise that policy without it being construed as racism.

Sadly, the do-gooders and supporters of political correctness seem to have got their priorities and basic common sense completely tangled up in knots and the politicians are too scared to address the issue for fear that they will be accused of racism/sexism.

It'll all end in tears, I tells ya!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:03PM
Freegurt at 11:50AM, March 8, 2009
(online)
DAJB
The problem is that, in the rush to protect minority rights, the corresponding rights of the majority are often forgotten or even trampled upon.

That's the exact point I was trying to get across. Especially in the case of affirmative action. The whole point of it was to stop racism against minorities and help them in acquiring jobs, schooling, etc. But in the end, it is racist because it's preventing everyone else to get in.

Now to me, that doesn't make much sense at all. Fight racism with more racism?

Please don't take this out of context, at all. I'm just giving an example. I'm completely fine with offering opportunities to people who didn't originally have them. But to completely blow over someone who is fully qualified with experience simply because he's a white male? That's racism thar.

I'm not saying that all minorities aren't qualified or educated enough. I am not saying that at all. I'm saying that abusing the system of affirmative action and equality to get ahead of your fellow man is going completely against what it was originally intended for.

I think the whole thing is just a jumbled up mess. Sadly, I don't think that there is a way to make it all equal and fair. We've tried that before and treating someone equal to you (as I stated above) apparently gets you in trouble.

And as I said before, I'm not supporting sexism and racism at all. If it does happen, it is a horrible thing and you have the full right to be angry and upset. What I'm trying to get across (if I haven't already made my point obvious enough), is abusing the system to make another feel guilty and ultimately sorry for something they shouldn't be feeling sorry for.
Product Placement at 2:27PM, March 8, 2009
(online)
I hate it when people get something because they knew the right people or something similar. Consequently the whole policy of making sure that a certain percentage of employees/students/etc is woman or a certain ethnicity grinds my gears as well. The reason why is because it makes it easier for certain individuals to get in where many want to go because those places need to fulfill a certain quota. However I understand why that policy needs to be there because there are allot of assholes out there that let prejudice get in the way of their decision. If they were around it may be impossible for those same individuals to get in which is equally unfair if not more.

I was raised in a community where racism is rare, sexual orientation is considered your privacy and equal rights between sexes is rather stable. Last time I heard, the biggest challenge that the feminist movement was facing was balancing the roughly 5% salary difference between high income men vs women. That being said, I don't consider my country to be an utopia of higher tolerance and understanding. We are ultimately suspicious of what we consider outsiders; People who were born and raised in another country and recently moved to ours. I don't link that with racism despite my nation being dominantly white. People of different ethnicity who were born into our soil are considered one of us.

Anyways, if I get back to the topic about fulfilling that quota of minorities, I have to mention what I find hilariously ironic. I'm a Caucasian male of a legal age with no disabilities what so ever. However, if I'd chose so, I could abuse that minority system they have in the states by moving there, because I'd be considered a minority by being foreign. I'd would give me an unfair advantage.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:50PM
Hakoshen at 8:35AM, March 9, 2009
(offline)
I had just spent about an hour writing all my thoughts and opinions and then internet explorer crashed.

So here's the condensed version.

Everyone's racist. You might not be a bigot, but we're all racist. So long as we can divide ourselves culturally for any reason, no matter how small, there will be racism. If we were all 6 feet tall, blonde with blue eyes, we'd descriminate against otheres for living over there, or because they eat tofu, or whatever. Everyone has subconscious perceptions about people they percieve as different becuase that's how cultural and societal interactions work. MY group is always number one, even if I find nothing wrong with groups two and three.

Affirmitive action? Maybe 20 years ago, but I went to college, graduated, and got a good job. True, I was hired a month after a white woman AND a black woman who applied for the same job, but now we both work here and we're friends. Boo hoo. Black woman got fired for falsifying her records. Ha.

I look at America and see progress. Most of my friends are white, because culturally I have more in common with them than others in town. You don't see black people in positions of power everywhere because there's NOT THAT MANY of us. You can't fulfill a minority quota for a job that minorities aren't applying for, so you shouldn't be punished for it. Likewise, you shouldn't be forced to hire a minority of equal qualification because someone says you should.

The race card is like a nuclear weapon. A weapon of last resort when you are absolutely certain its the reason and you have irrefutable proof that someone consciously descriminated against you, and not subconsciously acted on the percieved differences between them and yourself. Because after you use it, you basically dropped a nuke on your own capital. Now nobody can live there, and nobody will touch you becuase they know what you'll do to them.

Racism is real, and it's all around us. But people who abuse that fact are only making it worse.

Yes. That IS the condensed version.
God needed the Devil, the Beatles needed the Rolling Stones, Hakoshen needs me.
I'm the enemy he requires to define him.
Soon or later, he'll bring me back to life again for another epic encounter of shouting about power levels and grimacing.
-Harkovast
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:40PM
ozoneocean at 9:03AM, March 9, 2009
(online)
I'm classist.
There, I admitted it.

I try not to be though. I really do.:(
It's hard though. Makes me feel bad. -We're all equal! …but… but… I'm better because they're just uneducated plebs!!!!

It's not hardcore true classisim though. I'm just a wanker, I know that.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:33PM
radarig at 12:40PM, March 9, 2009
(online)
Freegurt
I'm Not Racist.
Freegurt
What I was trying to say is, I'm annoyed when the race card is used in wrong way. Like in an argument. You know what I mean “Oh, it's because I'm black that, etc…etc…” That just bothers me.
I've heard a few people say that they can't get ahead because of their race, but I've heard many many many more white people complaining that, to follow your generalization, “black people are always complaining.”

In general I hear all sorts of people say that all sorts of various things cause them trouble. Age, race, gender, sexual orientation, hair color, baldness, all used as a crutch to feel sorry for yourself or your position in life. Sometimes its genuinely valid, sometimes it isn't at all.

But to specifically look at all of the those things and pull out the discussion of race as somehow more annoying or offensive than the rest, as you have done, strikes me as patently racist.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:58PM
kyupol at 1:20PM, March 9, 2009
(online)
Freegurt
Let me tell you, human rights are great. Giving rights to people who originally didn't have them is wonderful in fact. I'm all for that.

But what I don't understand is when you treat say, a woman, or a black man equally makes them furious with you. I don't get it, isn't that what equality is supposed to be?

What do you think? Because, I'm tired of the race card being played all the time to get what you want. Now, I'm not saying everyone does this. It's just been getting my goat lately. I mean, I'd respect you a whole lot more if you got ahead in the world with your brilliant mind and originality!

Not because you're black, or Asian or a woman ,etc.

They want us to fight one another.

This whole “multi-culturalism” thing is all about pointing out racial differences and getting races to fight one another.

Bob Marley nailed it on the head

NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:26PM
bravo1102 at 12:07AM, March 10, 2009
(online)
Humans put things in catagories so they can process the information easier. One of these catagories is Us/Not-us. Once upon a time our species lived in little family groups and that stranger group would often want to take over hunting/gathering territory or even kill and eat our group.

So humans classify their fellows, catagorize them and treat them accordingly.

To use a previous example: Women drivers are a category. Women drivers often have no idea what goes on under the hood of their car. So anyone in that catagory, unless evidence is presented to the contrary, will be treated as if they are ignorant of how their car works. This represents classification of an individual based on how a group is preceived. Didn't someone once say “judged not by the color of their skin but by the content of their character?” If only all of us could take the time to judge everyone by the content of their character and not by what they appear to be. It would sure help if we were all mind-readers. But we're not. So we're stuck with our categorization by groups.

Just because someone you don't agree with presents statistics does not mean that those statistics are wrong, only that you don't agree with their conclusions based on those numbers. Raw Numbers in and of themselves do not lie, how they are interpreted is open to debate.

African-Americans are more likely to be in jail or to have served time and more commit more crimes. Is that inherent in African Americans as a group or a function of where they are currently in US culture? Do middle class Blacks with jobs and a stable family life commit as many crimes as lower class unemployed whites with an unstable home life? Maybe “race” is not what we should be looking at.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:33AM
Product Placement at 1:04AM, March 10, 2009
(online)
bravo1102
African-Americans are more likely to be in jail or to have served time and more commit more crimes. Is that inherent in African Americans as a group or a function of where they are currently in US culture? Do middle class Blacks with jobs and a stable family life commit as many crimes as lower class unemployed whites with an unstable home life? Maybe “race” is not what we should be looking at.

Whether or not racial minorities commit crimes because of what they are or how they were raised is a topic that many have discussed and played with. I remember a movie with John Travolta in it that covered that topic quite excellently. It's called “White Man's Burden” and features an alternative world where Africans became industrialized instead of Europeans, where white people were transported to America as slaves to work in cotton farms owned by black people and how that has reshaped the modern world. In short, Travolta played a minority who was raised in poverty, had problems related to the color of his skin and ended up committing crime. If you haven't seen it, I recommend it.

Once I heard an argument stating that because Asian communities became “civilized” before Europe who themselves abandoned tribal communities before Africa did, the difference in time where we were using brains over brawn has slightly chanced us at a different rate. The argument states that the average man of these three ethnicity groups are smarter at the ratio of Asian>Caucasian>African while the strongest ones are lined up African>Caucasian>Asian.

It kinda made some sense to me because stereotypes dictate that black people are good at sports and Asians are good at math compared to white people. That being said, I'd find it ignorant to base anyone's potential on theories like that.

Lastly I found this cartoon to be incredibly relevant to this topic:

Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
Dark Pascual at 10:47AM, March 10, 2009
(online)
Last time I checked, no race, genre nor sexual preference had inmunity against stupidity…We are all the same, what means that all of us have the same tendencies to act as complete morons…

Sometimes it seems to be that youre allowed to antagonize with somebody else only if he/she is from your same ethnic background, genre and sexual preference…

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:07PM
Hawk at 11:38AM, March 10, 2009
(online)
I'll openly admit that I have a very conscious fear of being labeled racist or sexist because of something I've unintentionally said or done. I think it comes from a long line of activist college professors treating me and the rest of the class like we're sexist, racist pigs. But it's sort of like every time a minority is near me I get the urge to make sure I'm not being racist, as if they were waiting and watching for signs of racism.

Dark Pascual
Sometimes it seems to be that youre allowed to antagonize with somebody else only if he/she is from your same ethnic background, genre and sexual preference…

OR if they're the majority. Nobody bats an eye at white people jokes.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
kyupol at 5:34PM, March 10, 2009
(online)
ethnicity groups are smarter at the ratio of Asian>Caucasian>African while the strongest ones are lined up African>Caucasian>Asian.

There's always exceptions to the rule. For instance, Barack Obama (love him or hate him) is obviously smarter then Bush or Bill Clinton.

Then there's Manny Pacquiao. I saw a documentary about him and it showed how he spars with 220 lb guys (amateurs. Any pro boxer at that weight class will definitely destroy him).

But anyway, there's this other stereotype as far as the “dating world” is concerned. It appears that black women and asian men are at the bottom of the ladder, while white men and asian women are at the top of the ladder.

Thats just a cold observation. And I'm part Asian.
NOW UPDATING!!!
Dark Pascual at 9:07PM, March 10, 2009
(online)
kyupol
But anyway, there's this other stereotype as far as the “dating world” is concerned. It appears that black women and asian men are at the bottom of the ladder, while white men and asian women are at the top of the ladder.

Thats just a cold observation. And I'm part Asian.

Well, me being Latin isnt helping me so far…sure, Im a Latin geek, but still…
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:07PM
Skullbie at 2:33AM, March 11, 2009
(online)
People who write vampire novels are probably racist since right now i cannot think of one non-white vampire in the history of ever(except Blacula but…yeh)
ozoneocean at 3:52AM, March 11, 2009
(online)
Product Placement
Once I heard an argument stating that because Asian communities became “civilized” before Europe who themselves abandoned tribal communities before Africa did, the difference in time where we were using brains over brawn has slightly chanced us at a different rate. The argument states that the average man of these three ethnicity groups are smarter at the ratio of Asian>Caucasian>African while the strongest ones are lined up African>Caucasian>Asian.

It kinda made some sense to me because stereotypes dictate that black people are good at sports and Asians are good at math compared to white people. That being said, I'd find it ignorant to base anyone's potential on theories like that.
Yep. That's about the shape of it.
I think all those sorts of theories are at the very heart of modern discriminatory racialism. It's funny because they try and dress it up as scientific, but the trouble is that this sort of thing gets into REAL science like genetics…
There are practising scientists out there with theories similar to the worst Nazi eugenicists when it comes to human gene studies, and that's very scary.

Beware people who claim that genetics are responsible for most things in people's lives like success, being good at sports, popularity, intelligence and criminality. Most go way too far in dismissing cultural and environmental factors and really do tend to stray into the same waters as certain Nazis and their “super race” theories. Except now the Uber-menschs aren't automatically blonde haired, blue eyed giants, they have other looks- it's still the same thing though.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:33PM
bravo1102 at 4:56AM, March 11, 2009
(online)
Skullbie
People who write vampire novels are probably racist since right now i cannot think of one non-white vampire in the history of ever(except Blacula but…yeh)

It was a sub genre back in the Blacsploitation days (like Blacula)
There was a story about African vampires suffering from sickle cell anemia and needing to travel to the USA to refresh the bloodline. I can't remember the title. Movies like that are hard to find.

There were also a few awful exploitation films that mixed voodoo, zombies, African animism and vampires. Lots of fun to watch.

More recently there have been others; Blade is black…
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:33AM
Product Placement at 5:41AM, March 11, 2009
(online)
Skullbie

Well… if it makes you feel any better, there was a black vampire in the twilight movie. He even had dialog.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
Hakoshen at 9:30AM, March 11, 2009
(offline)
Skullbie

Well… how many non caucasians are there in transylvania? I mean, I know non caucasians are minorities in America, but I can't imagine the demographic being much different in Europe where vampires originated. It's very similar as to why there are few “minorities” in manga. There are very few ethnic minorities in Japan. And even if the stories take place in America or Europe, it's still going to focus on the majority, which is caucasians.

Still, whenever I see a black person in a manga, I always get all excited. But then again, I get all excited like that when I see any Americans/Europeans/English speakers in manga.
God needed the Devil, the Beatles needed the Rolling Stones, Hakoshen needs me.
I'm the enemy he requires to define him.
Soon or later, he'll bring me back to life again for another epic encounter of shouting about power levels and grimacing.
-Harkovast
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:41PM
kyupol at 1:28PM, March 11, 2009
(online)
Skullbie

You haven't heard of the manananggal

http://www.manananggals.com/manananggal.htm

NOW UPDATING!!!

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved