Debate and Discussion

I'm Not Racist
Kristen Gudsnuk at 3:16AM, April 13, 2009
(online)
lothar
The Author
You want to know what's racist?

THIS!!!

This actually happened in my hometown, and (excuse my french) makes me fucking sick!

People like that should be hung!

hehhe ,
should be hung ???
for exercising their free speech ? the same freedom those soldiers are fighting for in Iraq ???
actually that article is more racist than the people protesting the war . i wonder if they would have used such powerful rhetoric if the protesters had been white .

and i'm pretty sure “fuck” is German

Lothar, your comments are always the best.

Regarding the original issue, I think it's understandable (although not always fair) that people use the “race card” in situations where the other person is not acting on racist beliefs… it's because it's happened before, and well, if you've been picked on/belittled because of some uncontrollable aspect of yourself, you'll expect other people to do the same.

Funny (?) story: I was outside at night last week and a couple of black teenage-ish guys were trying to catch a cab, and there was a cab with the “available” light on, who wouldn't take them– he said the cab was “closed”. One of the guys goes to me and says, “none of the cabs will let us in!”
I was like, “Why?”
and he was like, “It's the color of my skin.”
and I was like, “no, no… it's cause you're a guy.”
haha?
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:22PM
legueu at 10:25AM, April 13, 2009
(offline)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uhjdGXkKOI

A black guy vs a Nazi trying to get a cab.

“ Thank you for picking up a Nazi before an African American ”

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:34PM
Rengishi at 1:14PM, April 13, 2009
(online)
Oh so you think nazi's are better than me..well..do ya punk
PSN account: OrangeDJ1
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:05PM
legueu at 8:43PM, April 13, 2009
(offline)
It's a quote from the video.
Rengishi at 3:31PM, April 14, 2009
(online)
Yeah …i knew that…maybe

*shifts eyes side to side*
legueu at 5:15PM, April 14, 2009
(offline)
propaganda time:

Antifacist action now!

Product Placement at 5:36PM, April 14, 2009
(online)
Is that woman smashing a sun cross?
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:50PM
legueu at 6:12PM, April 14, 2009
(offline)
yes
Product Placement at 6:29PM, April 14, 2009
(online)
Now that's mean. What ever did that poor cross do to her?
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
legueu at 6:42PM, April 14, 2009
(offline)
She left her job of beeing a really cool historical symbol to get in the neo-nazi movement. Simply bad life choice.
Product Placement at 6:47PM, April 14, 2009
(online)
And now the only gigs she can get is being props in a low budget she-hulk movie.

“Oppressed woman SMASH!”

It's sad really.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
Rengishi at 4:41AM, April 15, 2009
(online)
OPPRESSED NAZI woman!!

Go Go nazi rangers
Hawk at 10:06AM, April 16, 2009
(online)
Let's not treat the message board like an IRC channel.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
mlai at 10:54PM, April 20, 2009
(online)
I wonder what the score would have been like in that Youtube video, if the white guy looked less like a skinny unthreatening geek, and more like a hardcore tattooed neo-Nazi skinhead.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:06PM
Product Placement at 2:01AM, April 21, 2009
(online)
mlai
I wonder what the score would have been like in that Youtube video, if the white guy looked less like a skinny unthreatening geek, and more like a hardcore tattooed neo-Nazi skinhead.

I wanted to see the guy in a full, SS officer uniform. Also, it might help NOT clutching on to the BIGGEST mikes they could have found while standing there.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
AnotherUchiha at 5:36PM, May 7, 2009
(offline)
OMG I sooooooo agree.
I meet alot of ppl who play the race card and it drives me insane.

Let me play out a scenario that I see a lot at my school

The characters in this scenario are not real but they are based off people in my school. if your offended then dont be it's something that really happened. -.-

Black boy = BB and he is a reckless idiot who makes to many situations and acts totally unreasable.
White boy = WB and he is a reasonably okay guy

BB: Yo let me borrow your pencil.
WB: What? No.
BB: Why? It's cause I'm black ain't it? *glaring*
WB: N-no!
BB: Yes it is! HEY GUYS HE'S RACIST!
WB: *stands up* No it isn't it's because your an idiot who fucks around irritating people!
BB: Man fuck you!

The words aren't on pin but the white guy was my friend and we were in health class and the black guy was this obnoxious idiot who always played the race card. and it pisses me off. I'm not racist I just hate idiots who play the race card because they can use it to its advantage. If your black or whatever and your race has been treated bad and you play the race card because people feel bad about the past then you need to fuck yourself.

I MEAN HONESTLY! I have seen way to many people using the damn race card when they are fucking idiots who don't even know there history they only know that when they pull it, it works. Why dont you people use it get a fucking education make something of yourself and pull it when you have a good education and your denied a job because of your race or something like that.

gosh. >.<
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:53AM
AnotherUchiha at 5:38PM, May 7, 2009
(offline)
I mean this haha grammar -w-"

Why dont you people use it WHEN you get a fucking education make something of yourself and pull it when you have a good education and your denied a job because of your race or something like that.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:53AM
gecko200 at 1:57PM, May 9, 2009
(online)
AnotherUchiha

Why dont you people use it WHEN you get a fucking education make something of yourself and pull it when you have a good education and your denied a job because of your race or something like that.

I am not white so I don't know if all whites hate being called racist , because I've never been put in that situation , but you should just kind of chill with the “you people” and “make something of yourself ”type of rhetoric it makes you seem angry, small and petty, because using generalities to explain social dynamics that are centuries old and very complicated isn't a solution and is definitely not trying to understand the other person's viewpoint but If I could put myself in someone else's shoes I'd say being called racist is like being called the N word , and people of color don't like that either.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:33PM
gecko200 at 4:11PM, May 9, 2009
(online)
AnotherUchiha

It is very interesting to me that the very things , you say are merely stereotypes and are,not true of all women on your sexism discusion are true of every black person , just as there are some women that don't reflect who you are and how you feel there are also black people that don't share my values and beliefs , I am not angry at your generalizations of black people because I realize you are much younger than me and therefore your feelings are more on the surface. I would hope that in time you meet other black people who aren't racist, lazy hot headed or whatever type of black people you know. I'm not white and I don't know how you feel , but I assure you that being called lazy or the N word is just as repugnant as someone calling you a racist or a bimbo or whatever hot button word that sets you off , I don't know you but I love you, and I hope you do well in all that you endeavor, Love will get you farther than hate always , peace be with you.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:33PM
the2ndredbaron at 8:25PM, May 9, 2009
(online)
I have a question about racism. My comic Interim State is set in Purgatory. The main characters in it are all real people. And none of them are black. In fact all of them are white. And I am white. I don't consider this racist but is it rude not to have black people in my comic. Or should I put one in just so I could have a more diverse group of characters. And having the characters being from Purgatory I have to be careful about who I put it so I don't offend anyone. Am I being to careful or do people really look at comics and see all white people and think racism.

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:16PM
ParkerFarker at 2:03PM, May 13, 2009
(online)
It really pisses me off when I say something, and then someone immediately says “racist!” but it's not.
Like There's this kid on my soccer team (I'm white), Wabo, and My sister's like “Which one is Wabo?” so I'm like “He's over there, he's black” and then my friend calls me a racist. THAT'S NOT RACIST. I'm not gonna go out of my way to describe a kid that really can be described with one word since he's the only black kid on my team. It's stupid to do that.
Also like another time we were watching this movie in school and at the end I say to my friend “that black girl was really hard to understand” so he says “that's so racist”. It fuckin isn't, she had a strong (I think)cockney British accent. All the other people in that documentary were white. I don't see what the problem is.

“We are in the stickiest situation since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun.” - Blackadder
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:38PM
Dark Pascual at 2:28PM, May 13, 2009
(online)
ParkerFarker
It really pisses me off when I say something, and then someone immediately says “racist!” but it's not.
Like There's this kid on my soccer team (I'm white), Wabo, and My sister's like “Which one is Wabo?” so I'm like “He's over there, he's black” and then my friend calls me a racist. THAT'S NOT RACIST. I'm not gonna go out of my way to describe a kid that really can be described with one word since he's the only black kid on my team. It's stupid to do that.
Also like another time we were watching this movie in school and at the end I say to my friend “that black girl was really hard to understand” so he says “that's so racist”. It fuckin isn't, she had a strong (I think)cockney British accent. All the other people in that documentary were white. I don't see what the problem is.

It happened something like that to me too.

Some friends and I were talking about wrestling, and I mentioned that two female wrestlers should be fired from certain promotion, who happened to be black…

My friends told me “thats racist!!!”. I replied that I didn't want them out of the promotion because they where black, but because they are horrible in the ring…

And still wrestling related. I mentioned once that certain black female wrestler was “a monster” talking about her wrestling skills (she is really a great powerhouse wrestler), but my friends thought that I was talkin about her looks…
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:07PM
megan_rose at 5:23PM, May 13, 2009
(online)
the2ndredbaron
I have a question about racism. My comic Interim State is set in Purgatory. The main characters in it are all real people. And none of them are black. In fact all of them are white. And I am white. I don't consider this racist but is it rude not to have black people in my comic. Or should I put one in just so I could have a more diverse group of characters. And having the characters being from Purgatory I have to be careful about who I put it so I don't offend anyone. Am I being to careful or do people really look at comics and see all white people and think racism.

There is a certain amount of “discrimination by omission” that can happen, but here's a good rule of thumb for including people of color (remember, it's not just black and white!) in a comic: how well do you know people of color? Can you portray a well-rounded PoC who isn't just “a white guy with a really dark tan”? Can you develop a PoC without using any stereotypes?

Don't be ashamed to say no. It means you're self-aware. But if you say no, then you should take time to study non-white issues, get to know more about other races and what their lives are like, and then write about them.

Even worse than having no PoC characters is having a token PoC with no real personality who has been thrown in for the sake of “diversity”.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:59PM
Nicotine at 5:42AM, May 20, 2009
(online)
megan_rose
the2ndredbaron

Even worse than having no PoC characters is having a token PoC with no real personality who has been thrown in for the sake of “diversity”.

I agree with this. There's nothing worse than the “token black guy” or even the “token disabled person”. D:
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:16PM
ozoneocean at 6:18AM, May 20, 2009
(online)
megan_rose
the2ndredbaron

There is a certain amount of “discrimination by omission” that can happen, but here's a good rule of thumb for including people of color (remember, it's not just black and white!) in a comic: how well do you know people of color? Can you portray a well-rounded PoC who isn't just “a white guy with a really dark tan”? Can you develop a PoC without using any stereotypes?
The way I think about this is that the people in your story should reflect the real situation you want to portray, if you're being realistic in that aspect.

-So if you have a story set in Nazi Germany, not many of your German officers will be dark skinned people… If it's present day North America though, then there should be some healthy diversity. :)
And if you're not being realistic it doesn't matter. It really doesn't.

Tokenism is very annoying. I'm currently reading a sci-fi novel set in the far future and the one black guy who's in the story so far (3/4 of the way through) is called “Jamal” and says things like "ain't no way you're gonna make me do that man!". I imagine him to have a big afro and sideburns…
-In the far future the few black people around will still be channelling the 70s apparently. T_T

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:34PM
bravo1102 at 9:04AM, May 20, 2009
(online)
Ozone, At least he's not channeling Steppin Fetchit.

Remember blacks make up about 15% of the population of the USA. If you have your story set in NJ, there will be blacks. Colorado? Even Upstate NY as opposed to NYC. A black face would appear token because they're so rare in the general population in those places. Similarly, a white face appears token in certain areas of NJ.

Purgatory? It's up to you. Just remember that the majority of the Human population is Chinese and Asian Indian. :) Doing Apu or Fu Man Chu is to be avoided. But just another face in the crowd who happens to be Asian or African? Why not an African black or a Brazilian?

Having a stereotyped black or hispanic is a bit different from having someone around with another ethnicity where he/she is just another character not just one where the ethnicity matters. It can be fine line and maybe we're a little too sensitive about it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:33AM
Hakoshen at 9:37AM, May 20, 2009
(offline)
This may sound strange coming from a black person, but frankly I'm sick of black people pulling the race card. I mean I seriously am. For every 10 black people you have that one idiot who's going to cry wolf, and as the unfortunate laws of social dynamics go, you remember the bad more so than the good. And if you're unlucky enough for that ratio to be 3/10 or 8/10 then you're definitely not going to see the good in some people, even if you met the 8 out of 100 that are “bad apples.”

AnotherUchiha
I have seen way to many people using the damn race card when they are fucking idiots who don't even know there history they only know that when they pull it, it works.

How many is way too many? Frankly I think one person is too many, but you speak as if a good half of the black people you meet act this way. And in all honesty, who are you to say what they know of their history? They may know a good bit more than you think and are… well assholes because of it.

People who play the race card prolifically are generally like the insurgents in Iraq and Afghanistan; they're of the same society, but their beliefs and actions are generally considered radical or extremist. Then again, some people use it because they never found another way to resolve their issues, and some people use it simply as an ace in the hole. Like a kid who never learned to fight, he just kicks people in the nuts and runs. It's dirty, it's cheap, but the fight's over and he's on his feet. It's the same deal.

This of course, doesn't factor in any of the people who say it and are right though, however few of those there are.

the2ndredbaron

A. It's neither racist nor rude, and B. token characters generally suck. Their personalities and backgrounds are usually pigeonholed into stereotypical castes and contribute very little to the story, because you've seen them time and again everywhere you look.

It's a simple fact; black people are what, 12% of the population? We're not going to be everywhere and that's simply a fact. I say if you can't realistically expect a black person to be there or if they're not part of your preconcieved plot don't change things just to satisfy a few radicals.

ParkerFarker

I feel for you there, but I agree with you, and to anyone who's experienced this. When you're discribing someone, you use their most distinct feature. They're tall, they're short, they're fat, skinny, or whatever. However, if they're most distinct feature is that they're a different color than you, then it shouldn't be considered racist just for pointing that out.

Sorry, wall of text I apologize.
God needed the Devil, the Beatles needed the Rolling Stones, Hakoshen needs me.
I'm the enemy he requires to define him.
Soon or later, he'll bring me back to life again for another epic encounter of shouting about power levels and grimacing.
-Harkovast
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:41PM
Product Placement at 9:49AM, May 20, 2009
(online)
All this pulling race card stuff reminded me of this.

The most racist thing ever said.

Edit. Fixed. Just for you Ozypoo.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
ozoneocean at 10:01AM, May 20, 2009
(online)
PP, I think links to vids in this section are usually more appropriate than positing the vid.

I know I said that tokenism was annoying but that's not always true… I know that many people who haven't got much representation in the media are happy and gratified to have a character they can identify with, even it it's obviously a token. So tokens can be good sometimes. :)

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:34PM
Hakoshen at 10:38AM, May 20, 2009
(offline)
Product Placement
The most racist thing ever said.

What a couple of idiots.
God needed the Devil, the Beatles needed the Rolling Stones, Hakoshen needs me.
I'm the enemy he requires to define him.
Soon or later, he'll bring me back to life again for another epic encounter of shouting about power levels and grimacing.
-Harkovast
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:41PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved