Debate and Discussion

I'm Not Racist
Winterman at 11:27AM, July 12, 2009
(offline)
Anybody who starts a sentence with “I'm not a racist but…” is probably a racist.

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:51PM
Blackhood at 5:51PM, Aug. 29, 2009
(offline)
Racism, sexism, homophobia, and prejudice are all the products of a small mind.

A people being told for hundreds of years that they are less than human eventually internalize that belief and it will take more than a few years to undo the damage.

It is important to remember that an entire culture and several languages were destroyed during slavery and the slaves were taught to look up to and worship whites. We can see the self hatred even today with blacks saying that straight hair is good hair and kinky hair is bad. The darker children are not treated as well in the black family as the ones who are lighter.

All of these attitudes are because over hundreds of years we have been conditioned to believe that anything of value is white.

This doesn't give us black people the license to harm whites who are not racist by labeling them with such a harmful word.

But whites, like the one who started this thread, can't presume to know better than us how we experience racism and prejudice.

In one of the responses someone sighted Pat Buchanan and was using him to say that blacks were more likely to be criminals.

The number one indictor of whether someone will become a criminal or not is not their race but their economic level.

For years the arguement was made that Italian Americans were prone to violence, then it was said of Polish Americans, and so on.

One final point is that most of the problems facing the black community has a direct link to an oppressed history, but that is no excuse for us to be bitter or to see racism around every corner, although it is very real.

As a post script it should be noted that the drug war is fought primarily in black neighborhoods even though other racial groups use drugs at the same rate as blacks, and that we are given harsher sentences in court than our white counterparts.

The solution to this problem is really simple; give everyone the benefit of the doubt until they prove that they are assholes, then treat them accordingly, but respect and seek to understand cultural differences instead of thinking that our way is always right.

last edited on July 14, 2011 11:23AM
Faliat at 5:16AM, Sept. 3, 2009
(online)
I was pretty much discriminated against because I was half English and had manners. People assume you're a posh middle class snob with a perfect life just because you can use correct grammar and keep a house tidy… And actually live in a house.
In Liverpool the majority of the population live in houses whether they're poor or rich and the populations mostly consists of those with Irish or Scottish ancestry so they're actually quite interested in what life was life for you up there.

Despite this fact and all the evidence to the contrary there are still people that think it's all Lochs and caber tossing outside of Edinburgh and that we all live in fishing villiages and stay fit by running up and down hills all day. And that deep fried mars bars, pizzas and doner kebabs as well as fat people are nothing but myths.

Call that jumped up metal rod a knife?
Watch mine go straight through a kevlar table, and if it dunt do the same to a certain gaixan's skull in my immediate vicinity after, I GET A F*****G REFUND! BUKKO, AH?!

- Rekkiy (NerveWire)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:25PM
manicmerganser at 9:17PM, Sept. 4, 2009
(offline)
DAJB
The problem is that, in the rush to protect minority rights, the corresponding rights of the majority are often forgotten or even trampled upon.

Freegurt is right. Genuine discrimination should be condemned. However, people who play the race card (or the sex card) when they are actually being subjected to exactly the same treatment as someone else who is white and/or male would in their position, are themselves being racist/sexist.

Tantz's is point is also valid. When newly arrived immigrants are given better treatment and rights than existing citizens (as many are), you should be able to criticise that policy without it being construed as racism.

Sadly, the do-gooders and supporters of political correctness seem to have got their priorities and basic common sense completely tangled up in knots and the politicians are too scared to address the issue for fear that they will be accused of racism/sexism.

It'll all end in tears, I tells ya!

you must be joking right? Like what? Hmm glass ceilings mean anything to you?

www.alannispoliticalcart00ns.blogspot.com
http://1-art-1.deviantart.com/
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:51PM
manicmerganser at 9:19PM, Sept. 4, 2009
(offline)
ozoneocean
I'm classist.
There, I admitted it.

I try not to be though. I really do.:(
It's hard though. Makes me feel bad. -We're all equal! …but… but… I'm better because they're just uneducated plebs!!!!

It's not hardcore true classisim though. I'm just a wanker, I know that.

Glad you admit it P
manicmerganser at 9:22PM, Sept. 4, 2009
(offline)

But anyway, there's this other stereotype as far as the “dating world” is concerned. It appears that black women and asian men are at the bottom of the ladder, while white men and asian women are at the top of the ladder.

Thats just a cold observation. And I'm part Asian.

Yeah in the case of women its helped by all the japanese anime hype
manicmerganser at 9:24PM, Sept. 4, 2009
(offline)
anyone here suffer from “white guilt”?
Product Placement at 9:38PM, Sept. 4, 2009
(online)
manicmerganser
Not me, personally. I have no ancestors that did anything bad to anyone… apart from the fact that we took lots of Irish people as slaves a thousand years back. Sigh… those were the days.

My country is funny. We don't hate people based on the color of their skin since that would be an incredibly ignorant thing to do. However, we treat all outsiders that migrate to live in our country with equal suspicion. It's hard for the immigrants to shake of those doubtful stares, short of learning to speak our language fluently, marrying into an Icelandic family, and becoming a productive member of society. Color plays no role in this regard. Only their actions.

P.S. manicmerganser. You really should cram those several posts of yours into a singular thing.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:51PM
manicmerganser at 6:44AM, Sept. 8, 2009
(offline)
Product Placement
manicmerganser
Not me, personally. I have no ancestors that did anything bad to anyone… apart from the fact that we took lots of Irish people as slaves a thousand years back. Sigh… those were the days.

My country is funny. We don't hate people based on the color of their skin since that would be an incredibly ignorant thing to do. However, we treat all outsiders that migrate to live in our country with equal suspicion. It's hard for the immigrants to shake of those doubtful stares, short of learning to speak our language fluently, marrying into an Icelandic family, and becoming a productive member of society. Color plays no role in this regard. Only their actions.

P.S. manicmerganser. You really should cram those several posts of yours into a singular thing.

Iceland really? Interesting.

You're right about the post. next time all wait until I collect all my complaints into one thought lol
ozoneocean at 8:18AM, Sept. 8, 2009
(online)
manicmerganser
Glad you admit it P
Would that we were all so honest :)

Discrimination comes in many forms. The plight of disenfranchised native aboriginal populations around the world is probably the least represented, and they generally have the least options for improving their situation- far, far worse that immigrants or women or any other group.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:35PM
manicmerganser at 9:06AM, Sept. 15, 2009
(offline)
ozoneocean
manicmerganser
Glad you admit it P
Would that we were all so honest :)

Discrimination comes in many forms. The plight of disenfranchised native aboriginal populations around the world is probably the least represented, and they generally have the least options for improving their situation- far, far worse that immigrants or women or any other group.

Very accurate remarks. In the whole vicious scapegoating shit dispersal cycle, Native Americans get the biggest portions.
Leenex t at 9:05AM, Oct. 12, 2009
(offline)
Mod Edit: This isn't the place for immature trolling, Leenext. Don't do it again.
- Hawk
This was a dupe account designed to make another user look bad.
Be warned, if you do this yourself you may be banned from this site.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:30PM
Leenex t at 6:11PM, Oct. 12, 2009
(offline)
How exactly was that trolling? I believe in the master race Hitler was striving to create. It's simple genetics, take a race that has fought off hundreds of diseases and not died out (im lookking at you native americans) and which as contributed more to society (im looking at you blacks) and attempted to choose the best out of this best and in the end you have a master race.

It's simple genetics really. Due to societal norms I tolerate most blacks.. however if they are stupid i consider then a nigger and we really shouldn't listen to them as they bring the collective down/
This was a dupe account designed to make another user look bad.
Be warned, if you do this yourself you may be banned from this site.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:30PM
Orin J Master at 6:20PM, Oct. 12, 2009
(online)
Leenex t
How exactly was that trolling? I happen to be a dumb racist oaf that can't be bothered to understand why my poorly considered beliefs are offensive to everyone else.
Fixed that typo for you.

Side note: Hitler gave about as much a shit about racial purity as your average hippy. it was a convenient rallying flag for him to establish himself as as the unquestioned leader. why do you think he was so quick to ally with japan?
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:22PM
Hawk at 9:49PM, Oct. 12, 2009
(online)
Interesting to hear that you actually believe what you typed in that first post. Well, under those circumstances, I guess it actually isn't trolling. But you'll be hard-pressed to find somebody here who agrees with your views.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:47PM
BffSatan at 12:15AM, Oct. 13, 2009
(online)
I am fairly sure he is a troll. He already started a thread asking if their was a spell check in paint while making awful spelling errors in his post. No one is that stupid.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:21AM
Hawk at 9:41AM, Oct. 13, 2009
(online)
You're probably right. And I mean, who publicly says things like that? He's only been around here for a few days. A troll is born.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:47PM
Product Placement at 9:55AM, Oct. 13, 2009
(online)
It will be interesting to see for how long he can manage to stick around before he's banned.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
Orin J Master at 3:25PM, Oct. 13, 2009
(online)
Product Placement
It will be interesting to see for how long he can manage to stick around before he's banned.

not long, 'cause there he goes…..

i blame reality tv.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:22PM
BffSatan at 4:49AM, Oct. 14, 2009
(online)
Eleven posts. Not even close to a record.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:21AM
Dr W at 5:46PM, Oct. 15, 2009
(offline)
“Everyone's a little bit racist”
-Avenue Q
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:14PM
elektro at 7:20AM, Oct. 16, 2009
(online)
I saw this story this morning, and this judge disgusts me. Read how he says he's not a racist, then says the most racist bullshit I've ever heard in 2009.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091016/ap_on_re_us/us_interracial_rebuff

Article
“I'm not a racist. I just don't believe in mixing the races that way,” Bardwell told the Associated Press on Thursday. “I have piles and piles of black friends. They come to my home, I marry them, they use my bathroom. I treat them just like everyone else.”

Bardwell said he asks everyone who calls about marriage if they are a mixed race couple. If they are, he does not marry them, he said.

Bardwell said he has discussed the topic with blacks and whites, along with witnessing some interracial marriages. He came to the conclusion that most of black society does not readily accept offspring of such relationships, and neither does white society, he said.

“There is a problem with both groups accepting a child from such a marriage,” Bardwell said. “I think those children suffer and I won't help put them through it.”

If he did an interracial marriage for one couple, he must do the same for all, he said.

“I try to treat everyone equally,” he said.

Bardwell estimates that he has refused to marry about four couples during his career, all in the past 2 1/2 years.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:21PM
El Cid at 7:39AM, Oct. 16, 2009
(online)
Judge Dude
“I'm not a racist. I just don't believe in mixing the races that way…”
Wow, um, welcome to twenty years ago, dude!

Generally speaking I don't see that much overt racism in real life, but it does amaze me sometimes what bubbles out of people when you get to gabbing with ‘em online. Like, I was completely blindsided the other day when I was visiting one of the forums I frequent and I’m reading posts from this guy who up until this point has been a fountain of knowledge, I mean a total philosopher-saint and champion of men… and then out of nowhere he starts spewing all this garbage about inferior races and how the United States is going to hell because we don't recognize “natural White supremacy.” Damn! I couldn't believe I'd given him all those rep points! I don't know what to make of that. I never meet this people in the real world, but cyberspace seems to be teeming with 'em.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:20PM
elektro at 7:57AM, Oct. 16, 2009
(online)
Here was the kicker for me in that article:

Article
Bardwell said he asks everyone who calls about marriage if they are a mixed race couple. If they are, he does not marry them, he said.

Isn't that sort of question illegal? I know what this guy REALLY wants to say:

Judge Bardwell really
You marryin' a n*****? We ain't having no n***** lovers in this state. Get outta here, boy!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:21PM
Product Placement at 11:04AM, Oct. 16, 2009
(online)
Article
Bardwell said he has discussed the topic with blacks and whites, along with witnessing some interracial marriages. He came to the conclusion that most of black society does not readily accept offspring of such relationships, and neither does white society, he said.

*cough*

I know. Tiger Woods, is Asian/black, not white/black. Still… Close enough in my book.

Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
D0m at 11:45AM, Oct. 16, 2009
(online)
elektro
I saw this story this morning, and this judge disgusts me. Read how he says he's not a racist, then says the most racist bullshit I've ever heard in 2009.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091016/ap_on_re_us/us_interracial_rebuff

Article
“I have piles and piles of black friends. They come to my home, I marry them, they use my bathroom. I treat them just like everyone else.”

I have no words. I imagine him saying “They use my bathroom, and then I get new toilet sinks and seats afterwards, but whatever.”

Anything I could say about this guy has been and will be said, so I'm just going to shrug the thought off.

Also: “I have friends who are _______” is about as dumb as “I'm not _____ist, buuut…”

Nadya- a tale about what happens to SOME of us when we die.

Currently: Nadya is awake and asking more relevant questions.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:03PM
ozoneocean at 12:35PM, Oct. 16, 2009
(online)
D0m
I have no words.
The danger sign to begin with is the use of the word “interracial”. Anyone who thinks in those terms, seriously, has something not working right in their brain.

It sounds like a union between Mr Spock and a Wookie or something… These are just human beings who love each other, not different species.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:35PM
Larry at 11:44PM, Oct. 16, 2009
(online)
Almost sounds like he is stockpiling black fiends… after all he has piles and piles….

And this guy gets to decide on cases and stuff. :(
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:27PM
JillyFoo at 11:33AM, Oct. 18, 2009
(online)
I read a few chapters in this book called “Why Are All The Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria?” by Beverly Daniel Tatum last Thursday.

So much of the reasons why we are all not living like the original Power Rangers is because it is so hard for people to overlook race and see people as individuals.

INDIVIDUALS: Not looking at a Black person and assuming they like dancing, chicken and basketball.
People have differences. A good example in the book was the auther had a son that was tall, liked reading,and playing outside. When he encountered White people they would ask him if he played basketball because he was tall and…

I'm not good with debate.. just read the book.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:08PM
Zad at 9:34PM, Oct. 22, 2009
(online)
Here's one part that has bugged me a lot after reading some blog:
Freegurt
I mean, really, I couldn't care less if you have green skin with seven eyes…

Maybe it's me, but this is saying:
green skin, seven eyes = unnatural
green skin, seven eyes = black, yellow, red, etc skin, etc

Umm, are red and yellow bad words, now? (To my shame) I have no idea, as I haven't been reading a lot about you gaisss. I don't want to offend the people I want to defend/etc.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:54PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved