Random Discussion

I'm surpised this hasn't been posted in WTH yet.
Aurora Moon at 3:22AM, Oct. 6, 2010
(offline)
Youtube video about an ad for climate change where people that don't join in are blown up and their bloody bodies are scattered all over everyone else.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRedacted#p/u/18/sSTLDel-G9k
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:10AM
ozoneocean at 5:05AM, Oct. 6, 2010
(online)
ummmm, that's pretty f**ked up.
It's violates our thing about not posting gore here too, so I've had to make that a link sorry :(
-But I added a full description too.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:37PM
Aurora Moon at 5:35AM, Oct. 6, 2010
(offline)
ah, sorry about that.

you're right, it's truly fucked up. I'm surprised that the people who made this ad would think this could actually make anybody want to join the cause.

they defend it as some sort of joke or something…. but it basically tells people that if we don't agree with them or whatever, they're going after us.

that's no better than those religious fanatics out there who tells you that you have to join them or else.

it's just very poorly thought out.
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:10AM
Genejoke at 5:37AM, Oct. 6, 2010
(online)
That is funny.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:33PM
Product Placement at 9:32AM, Oct. 6, 2010
(online)
One thing you need to understand about the Brits is that they love this type of random silly humor. Also, they've been pretty active in various movements they consider to be good for us like eating healthier and cutting down emissions. The government runs massive amount of adds and pass all kinds of laws that practically enforce these type of thinking. What kind of law changes? For example, they were the ones who started the whole “Put nutrition values, clearly labeled on the front of the box”. They passed a law, banning stores from having candy on display next to the register, since people tend to do last minute shopping decisions and making an impulsive buy, while they're waiting in line. As for climate thing, they're participating with EU in banning regular light bulbs, making energy saving bulbs the only alternative.

You wanna know the funny thing? People aren't protesting? Nobody is forming protest lines, claiming that their rights are being squashed, like you'd expect to see in the States. The people are getting behind on the idea, because they know that Britain is the fattest country in Europe (according to studies that were published not long ago) and they've noticed that the climate is changing.

So yeah, this add doesn't strike me as surprising at all, and while you may react negatively to it, I'm pretty sure that the Brits are having a good laugh.

It's all about understanding the culture, where the add is being aired.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:53PM
bravo1102 at 11:14AM, Oct. 6, 2010
(online)
An example of Pythonesque humor. Reminds me of the Python skit about Sam Peckinpah when they slaughtered a bunch of happy Evelyn Waugh types and then machine gunned the guy reading the credits. The tomato sauce used for the explosion effects should have been more fake looking.

But it was still very funny except that it all too effectively parodied what they were trying to advertise especially the insisting “no pressure” before the button is pushed.

There was also the Second City Hick Music Show whre they blowed up musicial acts… “He blowed up, yeah he blowed up good, yeah he did…”

As comedy it's pretty good but as a commercial for conserving energy? No.

Maybe if they had a giant foot squishing those who wouldn't do it? Or the Hand of God like in Meaning of Life?

Python fans are probably wondering what the big deal is.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:34AM
Skullbie at 5:15PM, Oct. 6, 2010
(online)
I'm glad i haven't become so jaded that blowing up children into a bloody pulp makes me laugh.

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:48PM
crocty at 5:41PM, Oct. 6, 2010
(online)
Wow, that is REALLY fucked up.
How do you pitch that idea?

No really, what the fuck were they thinking.

Product Placement
I'm pretty sure that the Brits are having a good laugh.
Guess not.
THIS NEW SITE SUCKS I'M LEAVING FOREVER I PROMISE, GUYS.
NOT BLUFFING, I'M GONE IF YOU DON'T FIX IT.
Oh god I'm so alone someone pay attention to me
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:54AM
Skullbie at 6:01PM, Oct. 6, 2010
(online)
crocty
How do you pitch that idea?

Haha now that would make me laugh. Reminds me of that stick figure comic where an artist is painting a model with his dick. He flips the picture around to reveal this hideous dick-slap creation and the model is shocked..then she gets up and says “YOU'RE A FUCKING GENIUS!!” and they high-five.

I imagine that's what the pitch was like.

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:48PM
Product Placement at 7:25PM, Oct. 6, 2010
(online)
crocty
Product Placement
I'm pretty sure that the Brits are having a good laugh.
Guess not.
Granted, I'm not born and raised in UK so I'm not an expert on your own culture but during the few years I was living there, I did notice unorthodox means of advertising products that I was not used to. The best way to describe it was that it wasn't shy of doing stuff that might seem offensive to some.

A very good example is when my native airliner started advertising trips to Iceland and used witty slogans that hinted sex, even if the real meaning wasn't (like showing a picture of girls covered in mud (with supposed healing properties) with the slogan “Fancy a dirty weekend?” or offering an overnight stay in the capital with the slogan “One night stand in Reykavík” ). The campaign was a huge success but a movement of seriously pissed off people was started in Iceland to shut these adds down, since they felt it was misrepresenting the country as some sort of sex tourist destination.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
bravo1102 at 9:57PM, Oct. 6, 2010
(online)
This is great parody on so many levels. What does it say about peer pressure? How about going along with what many are considering a stupid idea? I have a feeling everyone would've loved it if it had blown up Sarah Palin and Rush Limbaugh as opposed to people cast to look like indifferent outsiders?

Another subtext that adds to the pure pathos of the piece. No pressure to go along but those who don't *Boom*

It's so painful and so true with such belief systems as climate change. Think about it. Think about how some absolutely despise and denegrate those they disagree with. The venomous hatred spewed about certain topics over on debate and discussion especially when the subject is politics (or climate change) We've all had the dream that we'd love to make the indifferent idiots who don't care or don't agree with us right-thinking types just blow up.

And then there's the horror that comes with “What the hell did you just do?”

It's so much easier to be offended than look in the mirror and admit the patent silliness and truth of the situation and laugh.

last edited on July 14, 2011 11:34AM
Aurora Moon at 12:33AM, Oct. 7, 2010
(offline)
If they had done it a little more sillier and more comical, then it probably wouldn't had been so offensive.

Monty Python did have this type of humor, but they knew how to do it where they were taking Refuge In Audacity. So people laughed because it was just all so damn ridiculous and because there was no way in hell that it could ever happen.

This? Although it couldn't even happen, it was still hitting a little too close to home, and on such a serious topic that has a tendency to rile everyone up.

true, we all have fantasies once in a while where we sometimes blow up those who don't agree with us, especially when we're in a angry mood.

but the truth is that even though we had those fantasies, we actually didn't really want it to happen at all!

It's like how we sometimes wish something bad to happen to our close relatives, such as our parents when we're angry with them during an argument. But in the end we mostly love our parents, and didn't really want anything to happen to them at all.

the same goes for compete strangers too, really. So even though I may get angry with online strangers during an heated debate, I don't actually want anybody to blow up and die.

The closet thing I've come to that was wishing that the Westbro church people would get a taste of their own medicine, in a torturous long-drawn-out situation where they would learn how wrong it was to act the way they did.

and seeing this happen in video form in such a violent way– again, it hits a little too close to home and made it feel all too real.

as bravo said, they were too effective in parodying the mindset of eco-facists… so while it did have some funny elements, they didn't do enough to make it more funny… so it was like they were semi-serious about the whole thing.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:11AM
blindsk at 1:17AM, Oct. 7, 2010
(online)
Am I the only one that misinterpreted the idea of the commercial from the beginning thinking the ad was against cutting the emissions rather than for it (until the end of course)? Guess the joke was lost on me. I realize bravo pointed this out, though I'm not sure if it was before or after the fact for him.

Either way it's more interesting than what they throw at us here in the States. It's usually some politician shoving this stuff down our throats constantly instead of bizarre ads.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:25AM
lba at 1:26AM, Oct. 7, 2010
(online)
Honestly it doesn't surprise me to find that a place like Britain has much looser standards on this sort of thing. After all, I just got told by a rather large newspaper that I couldn't draw a kid jumping out of his skin in fright for a Halloween editorial because it might offend people (I'll post the image later when i have a chance.). Never mind that they've run significantly riskier stuff or that it's in such a cartoonish style as to be so completely non-offensive it's almost painful. We just have weird standards here is all.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:30PM
ozoneocean at 1:37AM, Oct. 7, 2010
(online)
Product Placement
the country as some sort of sex tourist destination.
I want to go to Iceland and have sex with fur covered sexy Iceland babes now…
bravo1102
An example of Pythonesque humor. Reminds me of the Python skit about Sam Peckinpah when they slaughtered a bunch of happy Evelyn Waugh types and then machine gunned the guy reading the credits. The tomato sauce used for the explosion effects should have been more fake looking.
No it's not. Pythoesque humour is always in relation to something else- pointing out absurdities intrinsic in a situation by crude, bombastic juxtaposition.
This add isn't referencing anything. They're just exploding people. It's moronic.This is to Monty Python what Dan Brown is to Shakespeare.
Skullbie
Haha now that would make me laugh. Reminds me of that stick figure comic where an artist is painting a model with his dick. He flips the picture around to reveal this hideous dick-slap creation and the model is shocked..then she gets up and says “YOU'RE A FUCKING GENIUS!!” and they high-five.

I imagine that's what the pitch was like.
That's exactly the way I picture it.

Genejoke at 5:24AM, Oct. 7, 2010
(online)
Someone

What big deal? THIS is a big deal? stfu.
crocty at 2:40PM, Oct. 7, 2010
(online)
It's not that they simply showed children being murdered for not agreeing with what they were told to do, it's that they decided to add realistic gore and guts splattering over the faces of the other children in class. I'm not one of those people who'll see gore and say “YEP THIS'LL TURN CHILDREN IN TO A SERIAL KILLER”, but christ, gore isn't something that's appropriate everywhere.
Zombie game: Gore is fine
Manga about a girl who knows Chainsaw-fu: Graphically killing everyone in her school is fine.
Advert about Co2 emissions: Noooooooooooooo.

I predict their next form of advertising as follows:
Child 1: Did you hear about this climate change business?
Child 2: Yes, but I don't believe in it.
Child 1: DID YOU HEAR THAT? GET HIM, BOYS
A group of masked men kidnap child 2 and waterboard him in a dark murky basement for 30 seconds.
Subtitles: If only he had done what we told him.

And as PP said, it's not the whole “WE WANT OUR RIGHTS”, because I honestly don't care what the government have done about climate change. But this advert basically does say “We're going to do a lot of things about climate change, and there's nothing you can do about it.” and THAT is what bothers me.
EDIT: also the graphic murder of children. Not that appropriate.

Genejoke
Someone

What big deal? THIS is a big deal? stfu.

I can't tell, did we just get trolled?
THIS NEW SITE SUCKS I'M LEAVING FOREVER I PROMISE, GUYS.
NOT BLUFFING, I'M GONE IF YOU DON'T FIX IT.
Oh god I'm so alone someone pay attention to me
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:54AM
Genejoke at 3:28PM, Oct. 7, 2010
(online)
Someone
Am I the only one that misinterpreted the idea of the commercial from the beginning thinking the ad was against cutting the emissions rather than for it (until the end of course)?

The film does have that effect and I suspect it was actually intended by the film makers, or at least the writer. That it got put out in the manner it did is hilarious. The only problem I see with it is that it sends a different message than it was commissioned for.

Someone
If they had done it a little more sillier and more comical, then it probably wouldn't had been so offensive.

You honestly find it offensive? wow. Maybe it's the british sense of humour at work but to me it is obvious it's a p***take from the get go.

Aurora Moon at 9:42PM, Oct. 7, 2010
(offline)
like crocty said, it's not so much the topic that offended me but the fact that they made it way too realistic in terms of gore. Oh, and how they went about it.

It would had been funny if it wasn't for the fact that the blood and gore was spattered all over the other children/people while they had a horrified expression afterward that basically said: “What the hell did you just do?!”
those people in the ad looked at the teacher and the boss as if they were murderers, and they were afraid for their lives.

how is that part funny??

if people were just randomly exploding with no apparent cause other than the fact that they weren't helping mother earth, then it would had been funny.
Guy 1: “So, are you going to do your part to keep earth clean?”
guy 2: “No. I find recycling and stuff to be completely stupid–” BOOM!!! not too much blood or gore, just a red stain on the ground.
Guy 1: “Tsk, too bad… he was such a swell guy.”

If they had gone about it like that, then it would had been way less offensive.

Teacher causally pressing a button that she knows will kill students…. NOT FUNNY.
and, as I mentioned up above, the students looking horrified and scared afterward…. NOT FUNNY!!

so yeah, it was just offensive. :P
Genejoke at 10:59PM, Oct. 7, 2010
(online)
How is that realistic in terms of gore? it may as well be ketchup for how convincing it looks.

The casualness of the killing is part of the joke and what makes it work. It's a bit creepy but offensive, I just don't see it.

What I don't get is how they let that go out as part of a campaign to encourage the reduction of cO2 emissions as it just comes off as mocking the fact that there is a lot of silencing of things that dispute climate change.

ayesinback at 6:00AM, Oct. 8, 2010
(offline)
I'm with blindsk about how ineffective this video is about campaigning for 10-10. After watching the 3+ minute ad (do you Brits actually have 3 min ads? THAT borders on offensive itself) the last thing I feel inclined to do is join the rank and file.

The “no pressure” tag and subsequent penalty did offend my over-developed sense of free choice. At the end of it, my first thought was to get my own button and blow up the ad.

—wildebeest addendum

I don't advocate acts of violence and do not perpetrate them myself. But when rankled, I sound (and write) with violence - sometimes. Apologies if and when I push someone's button.
under new management
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:14AM
Product Placement at 7:56AM, Oct. 8, 2010
(online)
ayesinback
After watching the 3+ minute ad (do you Brits actually have 3 min ads? THAT borders on offensive itself)
Actually, I think it's a collection of shorter adds, that have been edited together into a giant add.

People who have actually seen this add on TV can correct me if I'm wrong.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
Aurora Moon at 8:25AM, Oct. 8, 2010
(offline)
Genejoke
How is that realistic in terms of gore? it may as well be ketchup for how convincing it looks.

have you ever seen real blood? or better, seen what flesh looks like when the skin is gone? combine the two, it looks VERY similar to the AD's gorey stuff.

I've witnessed how the combination of the two looks when I got into a bad accident involving my arm once… so I got a personal firsthand view of what I look like on the inside. thankfully, my arm wasn't too damaged badly… it looks normal again, and I still can use it.

you might think it's just a cartoony exaggeration, but sometimes fiction resembles reality often.

kinda like life imitating art, that sort of thing. once in a while, it's the art that is imitating life.
Genejoke at 9:40AM, Oct. 8, 2010
(online)
Yeah I've seen a lot of very unpleasant stuff first hand, lucky enough never to have been injured that bad myself though. I have this (so far) remarkable ability to avoid serious injury from stupidly dangerous situations.

well except in one case of blatant stupidity.

True story, I used to manage a laboratory and one of the technicians was trying and failing to change a scalpel blade. So I come along and say “give it here and I'll do it.”
As I am about to remove the blade with my bare hands another technician says “oh my god you'll cut yourself.”
“I'll be fine.”
Turns out the blade was jammed on wrong so I applied a bit of force and SLICE, right down the middle of my thumb. Right down to the bone.

Naturally we all had a laugh before I went to A+E.

ozoneocean at 6:06PM, Oct. 8, 2010
(online)
The meaning of the ad is:
If you're not helping prevent climate change then you are dead weight- doing the opposite; making things worse.
In order to stop this, everyone needs to help out, it's NOT really optional.

ayesinback at 6:28AM, Oct. 9, 2010
(offline)
@ozone
Yeah, that's pretty much it.
I guess what bothers me is that the ads are setting up a “cake or death” option, but when the option is presented, it's “cake or no cake” and the doomed folks choose no cake.

Without the facts, how is one to know what they're choosing? Well, according to these ads, that's not important: just toe the line. Because you never know when the button will be aimed at you.

under new management
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:14AM
Genejoke at 10:41AM, Oct. 9, 2010
(online)
the point you just make there is what I felt the ad was mocking, right up until you realise it is actually supposed to promoting 10;10 not taking the piss.

I choose to see it on that level.
Hawk at 3:23PM, Oct. 11, 2010
(online)
Maybe PP is right and Britain will handle this ad better than the rest of us. But it seems pretty tasteless to me. It's that kind of stuff that can make a good cause look bad. I didn't even know about the 10:10:10 initiative until this ad told me I deserve to die if I don't take part.

It might have worked better to have the detractors die of carbon monoxide emissions or something. This would be less gory and more relevant to the point…. though I'm not sure how you'd show that in an ad.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:47PM
HippieVan at 8:17PM, Oct. 12, 2010
(online)
The reason it's not funny is because when people blow up comedically you're only supposed to see a big cloud and then bits of clothes come flying down afterwards.

Also because Big Jim McBob and Billy Sol Hurok were not present.

Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
Have a comic milestone, a community project or some comic-related news you’d like to see in
a newspost? Send it to me via PQ or at hippievannews(at)gmail.com!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:49PM
Genejoke at 11:27PM, Oct. 12, 2010
(online)
Someone
It might have worked better to have the detractors die of carbon monoxide emissions or something. This would be less gory and more relevant to the point…. though I'm not sure how you'd show that in an ad.

That's been done before in a british ad, although it wasn't played for laughs like this one.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved