Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

I've come up with a few ideas but....
Bimbo_Zombie at 7:00PM, Nov. 16, 2008
(online)
I have quite a few ideas for webcomics/stories.
But…
One I have based on a song. The lyrics will have a lot to do with the story, so they will be all through it.
Another I have based on something that was originally a movie title and then a cartoon character. The character that is based on this has no connection with the movie OR the cartoon character whatsoever.

*Cough* lawsuit *cough*

So what do you guys think? Bad ideas?
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:22AM
Skullbie at 7:25PM, Nov. 16, 2008
(online)
I think comics that rely on songs are fucking retarded, no offense to you, but half the time i don't know the song and it just irritates me. People could easily make the comic without the ‘eye kissed a gurl nd i lieked it,hope muh bf dun mind it~’ lyrics.

As for the ‘based on’ well go for it, you wont be called in for a lawsuit, but people are going to think you ‘stole’ the idea and give you crap about it. I'd obscure it enough to make sure no one thinks so ^_^ Put some creativity in it and you'll appreciate it even more.

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:46PM
Vakanai at 9:18PM, Nov. 16, 2008
(online)
Bimbo_Zombie
I have quite a few ideas for webcomics/stories.
But…
One I have based on a song. The lyrics will have a lot to do with the story, so they will be all through it.
Another I have based on something that was originally a movie title and then a cartoon character. The character that is based on this has no connection with the movie OR the cartoon character whatsoever.

*Cough* lawsuit *cough*

So what do you guys think? Bad ideas?
Cover your tracks. Throw in three or four more odd references, obscure it up a bit, throw in a crap load of original stuff, and parody it up some.
That way people will feel smart for having figured out the based on connection.
People like to feel smart.
Besides, if you parody it a bit no one will give you flak. Family Guy gets away with it all the time.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:38PM
deletedbyrequest03 at 9:37PM, Nov. 16, 2008
(offline)
Vakanai
Besides, if you parody it a bit no one will give you flak. Family Guy gets away with it all the time.

Yeah, it does. (Which I don't find Family Guy as funny as it's older viewers, mainly because I can't understand half of the references. Sorry, I really didn't live through the 80's. But I laugh anyway.)

Well, that's beside the point.

Just keep in mind that if you want to do a comic based on a song, make sure you pick a song that (1) a lot of people are familiar with and (2) doesn't have a story line itself.

If you don't pick a song that a lot of people are familiar with, you will only attract a very small crowd. Also, if the song narrates a storyline, you can only go so far on the comic. Then, your comic is forced to end more quickly than you want.

Actually, I can't give you exact advice because I'm not sure what storyline/song you're going for. I'm sure you'll figure it out in the end.

This year, school's full of BS!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:05PM
BffSatan at 1:28AM, Nov. 17, 2008
(online)
Unless your making money of it your safe from any lawsuits.

That's why Eric Bauman is not in jail where he belongs.

And Skulbie, don't assume a comic will be bad just because it is based on a song, it is really all up to how well it is done. I think it could end up interesting, and I don't think it matters if you make it a well known song, as long as the plot is explained well people will follow it, anyway people can just look up the song.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:20AM
thoththegrey at 4:59AM, Nov. 17, 2008
(offline)
It all depends on a lot of factors. Usually, fan comics are ignored. Music companies tend not to care so long as you aren't distributing their actual song for free. Are you including the lyrics in your comic? I've done that with poetry (the Jabberwocky, which is in public domain) and it can be very effective.

On the other hand, if your comic is inspired by the song.. for example, doing a comic based in Hotel California (by the Eagles) would be interesting. You could do a lot with those lyrics. But if you change stuff, rename the hotel, don't include the lyrics, who's to know?

And Family Guy gets away with it for the same reason SNL does. Satire is protected speech under the Constitution.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:29PM
Vakanai at 7:25AM, Nov. 17, 2008
(online)
thoththegrey
And Family Guy gets away with it for the same reason SNL does. Satire is protected speech under the Constitution.
Wait, people consider that satire?
Mark Twain must be rolling over in his grave.

Another good tip, don't make money off of it. As long as you don't make money, allegedly most companies don't care.
Allegedly.
So no shirts.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:38PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved