Comic Talk and General Discussion *

If anything could happen...what would you like to see come from your work here?!?
D0m at 7:35AM, Dec. 12, 2008
(online)
Nadya has a massive future ahead of her. I would love for her story to become the next ‘Inverloch’ or ‘Purgatory Tower’. But, if we're talking nutso dreams that won't ever happen, I'd love to see a movie come about. Sometimes I wonder what the trailer would look like. :)

Nadya- a tale about what happens to SOME of us when we die.

Currently: Nadya is awake and asking more relevant questions.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:03PM
Chernobog at 8:54AM, Dec. 12, 2008
(offline)
Would be nice to be recognized for my writing by someone in the industry who can make something happen.
That, and I think AG would make a good HBO animated series like Spawn was.

“You tell yourself to just
enjoy the process,” he added. “That whether you succeed or fail, win or
lose, it will be fine. You pretend to be Zen. You adopt detachment, and
ironic humor, while secretly praying for a miracle.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:41AM
Skullbie at 9:02AM, Dec. 12, 2008
(online)
I lol everytime someone seriously thinks their comic is going to be made into a film. (and not some direct to dvd realease and never spoken of again)
Realistic expectations for the comic writer/a.k.a dream crushing
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:46PM
ipokino at 9:22AM, Dec. 12, 2008
(offline)
Skullbie
I lol everytime someone seriously thinks their comic is going to be made into a film. (and not some direct to dvd realease and never spoken of again)
Realistic expectations for the comic writer/a.k.a dream crushing

Aw Skullbie, have a heart! Comicbooks are ‘serial art’! They move in a sequential, cinematic way–this is why so many comic books currently are being made into successful movies. The comic IS the storyboard! For many creators, this cinematic quality naturally lends itself to the idea that the story might make a fantastic movie. And who is to say?
There is probably as much chance of a comic here getting a movie option as there is of me finding a comment from Chris Claremont on my latest page. Pretty slim. But there was no limit on the wish fulfilment factor here!
I'll bet a lot of creators here simply wish they had your rating and following. Drunk Duck might seem like a pretty small pond over all, but it has some mighty big fish swimming in it!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:02PM
Senshuu at 10:10AM, Dec. 12, 2008
(offline)
If you shoot for unrealistic expectations, you can still get pretty big results.

If you do it right, that is. Focus too much on one thing and you'll just fail horribly and be set back. Waaay back.

A few years ago I did a fake animated movie poster for one of my comics… the poster's horribleness aside, after I tried fake-casting voice actors from somewhat popular people I realized just how impossible that would be, lol. It's nice to imagine, though. I see all my stories as animated films or full-fledged movies in my head first. They're more impressive that way.

Anyway, at most, I can animate my own comic-based shorts in a year or two, when I have the motivation to do that, lol. Already working on foolish little Flash games for 'em.
:D
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:27PM
json at 11:09PM, Dec. 13, 2008
(offline)
i'm still f***ing speechless that my book was chosen for the feature this thursday. to say i was humbled is an understatement.

i literally about pissed myself when i woke up on thursday to upload my new page. i think that checks off #1 from my list of things to accomplish by posting my comic on this site.

now if i can get past chapter 8…..that is the real test.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:11PM
JoeL_CQB at 12:22AM, Dec. 14, 2008
(online)
For CQB Epics:
1) get popular on the internets
2) get about 100-120 pages for to make trade paper back, and then one day walk into a comic book shop, see it and then be all like, “Damn, I'm good!” and then walk out.

For not really CQB related, I was thinking of making a fire arm reference series to fund my gun/airsoft hobby collecting. Like sell a 20+ page PDF featuring one gun for like $2. have it shown disassembled, close ups, details, and all that crap, and then have models to pose and all. And then that goes to packs that go for like $6. and then eventually when I have enough, print it. it'll be like an encyclopedia.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:10PM
Peipei at 12:41AM, Dec. 14, 2008
(offline)
There are a few things i'd like to see come out of my work, as I spend a hefty amount of time on my comics every week :3:

1.)I want readers to enjoy reading and looking at my comics. This is probably at the very top of the list for me. What's the point of spending hours a week on a few strips if people aren't enjoying them :p?

2.)To finish both of my comics. TF is already on the road to that. My second comic just started about a couple months ago, but I have really high hopes for it making it to the end as well^^.

3.)To receive as much recognition and readership as I can. Without a doubt, no one can go wrong with a little extra readership and a chance to get in to the big spotlight (ie: Drunk Duck feature) ^^.

4.)My heart isn't fully set on this, but who says I can't dream xD? I want my comics to take me somewhere one day. Everybody does. Our comics often times become apart of us, I know that's the case with me :3. I want to push these babies as far as they can go xD.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:41PM
ipokino at 5:15AM, Dec. 14, 2008
(offline)
json
i'm still f***ing speechless that my book was chosen for the feature this thursday. to say i was humbled is an understatement.

i literally about pissed myself when i woke up on thursday to upload my new page. i think that checks off #1 from my list of things to accomplish by posting my comic on this site.

now if i can get past chapter 8…..that is the real test.

Congrats!
I think the DD feature spot is like one of the Holy Grails of doing a comic here. Like earning ‘Badges’ in City of Heroes, without that shiny “Feature Badge” on your home page, it looks kinda poor.
Frankly, I can't imagine how cool it must feel…and yep, I'd probably piss myself too if it ever happened. Its currently not on the list of things I desperately want for Robot Wars, but yep…definately it would be cool!
parkbenchbook at 7:42AM, Dec. 14, 2008
(offline)
Anything could happen? Here's my list of the totally unrealistic:

1. I'd like to mostly just write my comics and have a few different artists drawing them in different styles.

2. I'd like lots of comments.

3. I'd like to see my stuff in print.

4. I'd like to see an animated series on HBO of basically short stories coming out of the little super heroic universe I'm creating.

5. Money. Enough money that I can sit around creating comics in pajamas all day.

6. A rock opera inspired by my characters.

7. Money. Enough money to build my own Batcave and sit around in it in pajamas creating comics all day.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:38PM
DAJB at 7:48AM, Dec. 14, 2008
(online)
Skullbie
I lol everytime someone seriously thinks their comic is going to be made into a film.
Tsk!
Robert Browning
A man's reach must exceed his grasp …
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:03PM
Skullbie at 9:25AM, Dec. 14, 2008
(online)
And exceed his grasp it shall ;)
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:46PM
johnkeating at 9:47AM, Dec. 14, 2008
(offline)
I've been really fortunate with Breaking the Ice as it got picked up and published as a one shot by Hopper Comics and they have been really happy with how it's doing. They want to do a paperback when I get enough pages.

As for the comics to film thing, I work and live in LA…in the “biz” so to speak. I was a stand up comic for 15 years and have been a professional actor for the past 6 and it's not as far fetched as skullbie would have you believe. Sure, it's a longshot but anything worth doing is a longshot. You have to be willing to take the steps to make that happen, though…one of those steps being going where the movies and TV are made. A lot of people can't or won't make that vital step.

Oh and to answer the OP, I would love to get to a point where it could subsidize my income enough that I could get the time to do a new strip at least three times a week.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:10PM
NickGuy at 11:49AM, Dec. 14, 2008
(offline)
Ive completely changed my mind.

I want my art to sell for 125 million dollars in some auction in london while the economy goes into a recession….I want to make a movie based on kung fu komix filmed entirely in front of greenscreen…then Ill sit back and rake in the cash, hire jim lee to draw KFK for me and write the most crazy stupid out of my ass scripts and have half of the world call me a genius and the other half call me a hack….then ill get with supermodels, bang them then never call them back…completely change my art style so its almost unrecognizeable….when people tell me i drew a head wrong ill shoot them and then tell them that i planned to do it exactly that way….then retire at 29.

“Kung Fu Komix IS…hardcore martial art action all the way. 8/10” -Harkovast
“Kung Fu Komix is that rare comic that is made with heart and love of the medium, and it delivers” -Zenstrive
“Kung Fu Komix is…so awesome” -threeeyeswurm
“Kung Fu Komix is..told with all the stupid exuberance of the genre it parodies” -The Real Macabre
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:15PM
Koshou at 8:45PM, Dec. 14, 2008
(offline)
I would like to not suck.

…yeah. that's about it for right now. ._.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:21PM
Sudafed at 4:54AM, Dec. 31, 2008
(offline)
I want to make people think.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:04PM
that kid yellow at 10:06AM, Jan. 5, 2009
(online)
Im posting my stuff to have fans and to be picked up one day. Also to be known as one of the best…… watch No Murai Chaos is near!!!!!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:14PM
OrchardHeroes at 9:15AM, Jan. 7, 2009
(online)
Heck I'd be happy to pick up a few readers!
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:22PM
kitsunesan at 11:09AM, Jan. 7, 2009
(online)
I only want, to liberate stress, by doing comics XD, and of course, make someone laugh…so thats good for me…ne
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:17PM
ttyler at 11:44AM, Jan. 7, 2009
(online)
I want a breakfast cereal named after my book……….with little marshmellow paladins, crunchy oat cluster robots, and cookie shaped 100 yr old kung fu masters.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:34PM
zaymac at 10:21AM, Jan. 8, 2009
(online)
I just wanna finish the story that I've embarked on. Sure it would be nice if something came of it, but I tried syndication for years and finally gave up. I'm doing this because I think I have a cool story to tell, and others can find it to be enjoyable… That'd be pretty cool as well.

It's a Grizzly Bear battling Zombies. Do you need to know more?
DOLLAR STORE HAIRCUTA daily webcomic of unfunny.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:54PM
robzidious at 11:22AM, Jan. 8, 2009
(offline)
What I'd like to see come out of my work here?

First and foremost, an audience. I'd just like to see people read and enjoy my work. That would make everything worthwhile.

I'm not trying to get famous or anything. Of course, that would be nice if it were to happen, but I like being realistic.

Right now I'm just trying to learn as much as I can from as many people in the webcomics biz as possible so that I can improve my abilities.

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:08PM
Nergal at 2:47PM, Jan. 9, 2009
(online)
Blockbuster Movie!
If Spielberg browses this site he'll take one of my comics and add aliens to it! That'd be awesome!!! That's what I'd like to see.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:11PM
DMH at 5:46AM, Jan. 10, 2009
(offline)
Pretty much, I just want to get better than I already am. I have the talent to be a good artist, but I need to practice.

Other than that, I would love a lot of readers. So I'll make all of you a deal. If you guys fave Living With Insanity and read it each day, I'll fave all of yours.

I would also like a really good artist, since I've just started getting into the published industry (Done a few indie titles) and would like to do a webcomic with them that's really good quality, since for some reaosn my publisher hates webcomics. Then I could pay them from the money we make and we could both live off doing a webcomic.

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:12PM
ShinuZero at 5:50AM, Jan. 10, 2009
(online)
Hm, for Despotize:

For me to become a greater artist at the end.

For it to become popular enough to warrant an online sequel

For me to be one step closer to my dream of making comics professionally

(:
All Hail Despotize!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:34PM
DrLuck at 12:27AM, Jan. 11, 2009
(online)
Custard Trout
I hope to work my way up to ruler of the planet. It seemed like such a simple plan:

1. Make webcomic.

2. Conquer Earth.

I haven't made it to step one yet.

You'll have to beat me to your second step. I have my lab coat and death ray ready, even.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:17PM
aegnation at 8:26PM, Jan. 23, 2009
(offline)
I just wanna see that many people actually check back for new pages and enjoy them enough to leave comments and fanart. ^_^ That itself would be great for me.

Updated: 5/03/09!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:46AM
highspeedcomics at 9:38AM, Jan. 24, 2009
(offline)
Three words: Saturday morning cartoon.

But really, being able to make a living out of (web)comics would be nice. Not necessarily a millionaire or whatever, just being able to do what I love. For money.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:48PM
ipokino at 5:35AM, Jan. 25, 2009
(offline)
highspeedcomics
Three words: Saturday morning cartoon.

But really, being able to make a living out of (web)comics would be nice. Not necessarily a millionaire or whatever, just being able to do what I love. For money.

Honestly, I think this is probably most everyone's bottom line isn't it? We are here, posting our creative ‘life’s blood' on the Duck for free. It is a labor of love, no doubt. When I put up my website, I calculated the amount of time I have spent making my book. It came to one year of work at eight hours a day. Of course that is spaced out over two years currently, but still, that comes to four hours a day on top of my normal 9 to 6:30! I'm certainly NOT getting paid in cash, but the comraderie of being on the Duck with all you guys, and getting comments regularly, really keeps me in there!
Funny thing is…when you start getting paid…it starts being a job… Not sure I'm up for that!!!
Hakoshen at 8:16PM, Jan. 29, 2009
(offline)
If not for the fact that it's not even midway through chapter two and my comic has already displayed obvious elements of Metal Gear, Star Wars, Gears of War, Wanted, John Woo films and the Lion King, I'd love to see it made into a game, or a good anime-style cartoon.

Ah, a man can dream.

Realistically, just knowing that people read it at all is pretty cool.
God needed the Devil, the Beatles needed the Rolling Stones, Hakoshen needs me.
I'm the enemy he requires to define him.
Soon or later, he'll bring me back to life again for another epic encounter of shouting about power levels and grimacing.
-Harkovast
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:40PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon