Media Megaforum

If you or anyone else you know listens to music please click here ^^*respectable smile +5*
beautifully_demonic at 11:51AM, Jan. 7, 2008
(offline)
Now, I wanted to maybe talk about the kind of music you like and what bands you like and/or dislike ! I don´t know why I would ant to talk about this but I am very enthusiastic about Rock and Heavy Metal and various music but I dont´t really like death metal or the emo “metal” (if it can be called that no offence) in wich a grown man goes on about losing someone he loved and how he wants to kill himslef/her ( I am talking about the EMO thingie) (not the Death thingie)
Bands I like :
1#Rammstein
2#system of a down
3#Serj Tankian (I know he is just one person but plese fogive me)
4#sonata arctica
5#Metallica

bands I DISlike:
1#Fall out boy
2#any techno bastard who dare call themselfs a BAND
3#Bubbi Mortens (an Icelandic singer … yes he is the oposite thingie for Serj)

and I would kindly like to know what your oppinions are on this matter! ^^*
(\__/) | This is Bunny.
(O.o ) | Copy Bunny into your signature to help
(> < ) | him on his way to world domination!

1f u c4n r34d 7h1s u r34lly n33d 2 g3t l41d
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:16AM
alexhatzia at 1:49PM, Jan. 7, 2008
(online)
beautifully_demonic

techno music happens to be one of my favorite genres of music. they're dj's, not bands, its a pretty different concept considering its more about getting people to dance rather than make statements.

other than that i love:
1. Michael Jackson
2. Stevie Wonder
3. Tears for Fears
4. Queen
5. Daft Punk

idk the list goes on and on, basically i love all kinds of music (not so much country, but i've learned how to tolerate it)

last edited on July 14, 2011 10:49AM
Phantom Penguin at 3:46PM, Jan. 7, 2008
(offline)
I'm going to shorten my list for the ease of reading.

-Nirvana
-Paramore
-Serj Tankian
-Coheed And Cambria
-Iron And Wine
-Atreyu
-Linkin Park
-Broken Social Scene
-Pearl Jam
-Incubus
-Fall Of Troy
-30 seconds to mars
-Alice In Chains
-Boy Sets Fire
-Enter Shikari
-Taking Back Sunday
-Tegan And Sara
-The Postal Service
-The White Stripes
-The Recontuers
-Rage Against The Machine

…Just to name a few
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:42PM
ozoneocean at 9:04PM, Jan. 7, 2008
(online)
DJs… F**k them all sideways with a bent pole ^_^
There are a minority that deserve to be heard away from the dance floor. Those that are, really ARE deserving, they're really very good. But in that field, there are more bland crap artists than any of the others. :P

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:29PM
Frostflowers at 1:05AM, Jan. 8, 2008
(online)
Metallica are gods live - I've seen them twice, and I just sort of melted into a puddle of happiness each time. :)

Other favourites include Dropkick Murphys, Flogging Molly, Bruce Springsteen (who is also pretty awesome live) and Tom Waits. And of course the Swedish punk/post-punk bands no one's really heard of - like Imperiet, Mimikry, Asta Kask and Charta 77. :P
The Continued Misadventures of Bonebird - a poor bird's quest for the ever-elusive and delicious apples.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:31PM
mechanical_lullaby at 5:25AM, Jan. 8, 2008
(online)
beautifully_demonic

Soo… you're saying you don't like The Prodigy, Paul Oakenfold, or The Chemical Brothers then, eh? I don't even like techno that much, but don't blow it completely off because you don't like something sounding synthesized. nine inch nails? No?

…I like music which if another person has heard it or even heard of it, it's not indie enough.

The music I don't like is the screaming heavy metal bands. They all sound the same, there's nothing special about them.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:57PM
Phantom Penguin at 5:33AM, Jan. 8, 2008
(offline)
ozoneocean
DJs… F**k them all sideways with a bent pole ^_^
There are a minority that deserve to be heard away from the dance floor. Those that are, really ARE deserving, they're really very good. But in that field, there are more bland crap artists than any of the others. :P

You know a DJ is good when you can pick his stuff out from the bland crap.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:42PM
ozoneocean at 5:56AM, Jan. 8, 2008
(online)
That's right PP. The good stuff is simply wonderful. :)
mechanical_lullaby
beautifully_demonic
Soo… you're saying you don't like The Prodigy, Paul Oakenfold, or The Chemical Brothers then, eh? I don't even like techno that much, but don't blow it completely off because you don't like something sounding synthesized. nine inch nails? No?
Well he's said he likes Rammstein… While that's heavy and loud, most of it's pretty techno. Flake is their techno keyboard guy and he does it well ^_^

Another bands thread…

Well I just put on my old “Mama Said” Lenny Kravitz cd just a moment ago. I love his retro funk rock style.

Then I listened to some old Beatles stuff, the best of The Band, and Short Sharp Shocked by Michelle Shocked. You know, as much as synth can be good in music, and as much as I like the synth in 80's bands like The Eurythmics, it's just Soooo nice to get away from all that and listen to rawer type music that hasn't been enhanced or imitated electronically once in a while. It makes a nice change to hear the wiry sounds of the real guitar strings, the muffled echo from real base drums etc. It has a whole different vibe

It's like real food you've cooked and flavoured yourself from raw ingredients, as opposed to a packet of chips or a take away pizza. Not that one is inherently better than the other but you do get a craving for something more “authentic” from time to time.

There, some bands in bold…

beautifully_demonic at 10:34AM, Jan. 8, 2008
(offline)
ozoneocean
Well he's said he likes Rammstein… While that's heavy and loud, most of it's pretty techno. Flake is their techno keyboard guy and he does it well ^_^

I'm not a guy … *sad face of puppy+5*

anyways … yes I do know that Rammstein are slightly techno but I don´t like techno stuff that sounds like it´s been made entirely by one person (wasn´t one of them once really into techno??? … I dunno at least)
… like the utter CRAP they play in the “cage” in school (it´s a place for the oldest students to go to in breaks and chat and listen to music ) that is mainly were men are really boldly asking women to, I quote “put their dicks in your hand” …

I don´t understand how teachers can allow THEM to listen to stuff like that were almost anyone can understand what they are saying with that song and they wont allow me to play a little SoaD or Rammstein because they say IT'S violent and perverted … IT´S IN GERMAN !!! HOW COULD A BUNCH OF ICELANDIC SCHOOLCHILDREN UNDERSTAND LYRICS THAT ARE REALLY SUBTEXTY AS WELL !!!!!!!
(\__/) | This is Bunny.

mechanical_lullaby at 10:43AM, Jan. 8, 2008
(online)
beautifully_demonic
ozoneocean

I'm not a guy … *sad face of puppy+5*

anyways … yes I do know that Rammstein are slightly techno but I don´t like techno stuff that sounds like it´s been made entirely by one person (wasn´t one of them once really into techno??? … I dunno at least)
… like the utter CRAP they play in the “cage” in school (it´s a place for the oldest students to go to in breaks and chat and listen to music ) that is mainly were men are really boldly asking women to, I quote “put their dicks in your hand” …

I don´t understand how teachers can allow THEM to listen to stuff like that were almost anyone can understand what they are saying with that song and they wont allow me to play a little SoaD or Rammstein because they say IT'S violent and perverted … IT´S IN GERMAN !!! HOW COULD A BUNCH OF ICELANDIC SCHOOLCHILDREN UNDERSTAND LYRICS THAT ARE REALLY SUBTEXTY AS WELL !!!!!!!

lol. I like Rammstein too actually. Their lyrics translated are really poetic.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:57PM
Maxw3ll at 3:07PM, Jan. 8, 2008
(offline)
Bands/Artists I like:

Sonic Youth
Mogwai
Modest Mouse
Circle Takes the Square
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
Jeromes Dream
I Would Set Myself on Fire For You
Lightning Bolt
Boredoms
OOIOO
Regina Spektor
Daniel Johnston
The Locust
Daft Punk
Descendents
Mr Bungle
Final Fantasy
Dillinger Escape Plan
Faith No More
65daysofstatic
etc.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:56PM
beautifully_demonic at 8:43AM, Jan. 13, 2008
(offline)
mechanical_lullaby
lol. I like Rammstein too actually. Their lyrics translated are really poetic.

I agree …
(\__/) | This is Bunny.

Crispiest Fortune at 3:23PM, Jan. 13, 2008
(offline)
Most of the bands I listen to, and therefore on my iPod, are listed on my profile page. But right now my absolute favorites are:

Queens of the Stone Age (Rated R is phenomenal.)
Pearl Jam
Incubus
Foo Fighters
The Who
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:49AM
alexhatzia at 3:17AM, Jan. 14, 2008
(online)
mechanical_lullaby
…I like music which if another person has heard it or even heard of it, it's not indie enough.

wait…so your saying that if someone knows the song then you don't like the song?

last edited on July 14, 2011 10:49AM
ozoneocean at 4:10AM, Jan. 14, 2008
(online)
alexhatzia
mechanical_lullaby
wait…so your saying that if someone knows the song then you don't like the song?
That was Mecha's little joke. ;)

It's making fun of elitism in musical taste.

mhowad at 5:49PM, Jan. 14, 2008
(offline)

I have a summer job at a golf course, which means i spend roughly three to six hours a day listen to music while sitting atop a mower of some sort.

Albums that I have been digging this year include:

Light Grenades - Incubus
Stadium Arcadium - The Red Hot Chili Peppers i'm very partial to Mars
Echoes, Silence, Patience, and Grace - Foo Fighters
The Soft Bullettin - The Flaming Lips
Icky Thump - The WHite Stripes
Dookie - Greenday
Stop The Clocks - Oasis
Rustic Overtones - They are a band from Maine who get some serious airplay. There CD this year ended up in the top five in CD sales at Bull Moose Music, the biggest music chain in Maine.

I get tired of the loud music pretty quickly for some reason. WHich is why I've pretty much fallen in love with The Flaming Lips. I don't know what it is about that band. The first time I listened to The Soft Bulletin i thought to myself “WHy did I spend the Money?” but for some reason I just can't get enough of them.

I have a question, What bands would be considered emo?
Fall Out Boy?
Greenday?

I really don't know
He's in his own little world

http://www.drunkduck.com/Little_World/
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:01PM
Insanity at 6:30PM, Jan. 14, 2008
(offline)
Has anyone been to Pandora?

That place is awesome. Just type in a favorite band or song, and it picks stuff you might not have heard before.

My Likes:

Brain Stew - Green Day
System of a Down
The Offspring
Nirvana
Pearl Jam
Korn
Seether
The Energy - Audiovent
Black Hole Sun - Soundgarden
My Own Worst Enemy - Lit

AwesomeUnicorn
I feel a little bit like Hitler right now, too.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:01PM
lastcall at 3:23AM, Jan. 15, 2008
(offline)
Call me a dork, but I really like Phil Collins. He's a kick-ass drummer, and he translates the heartache and pain he actually experiences in life in the lyrics of his songs. I went to see him play at his Farewell concert a few years ago and when he plays his drums, it looks likes he enjoys it more than sex. A very passionate guy.

Here's a video of a cool drum duet he did a couple of years ago. (Embedding was disabled so I couldn't put it on here)
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:27PM
ozoneocean at 7:38AM, Jan. 15, 2008
(online)
mhowad
Fall Out Boy?
Greenday?

I really don't know
People say that about Fall out boy. With Greenday I'd say no. They're just a noe-punky style band. They're “emo” in the way that every single band is emo, from Metalica to Phil Collins, to The Darkness, to Kate Bush, to anybody that ever wrote or sang a song that was introverted or sad at one time in any way- which is everyone.

I think being an “emo” band is more about bands that only ever do sad and or introverted music and hardly anything else, in a really obvious way, as well as having an emo look. Where people are confused with Green Day is that they're trying to look punk… I think your emos actually Got their look from there originally (trying to look punky/gothy).
lastcall
Call me a dork, but I really like Phil Collins.
Oh he's always been ok. For some reason he acquired this whole thing about being a poster boy for the middle of the road and blandness…
This stupid thing about that was you've got millions of people thinking they're edgy and clever by jumping on the band wagon and loving to hate Phil, not realising that exercises in “group taste” like that are the very definition of “Middle of the road”.
-Phil could never be as mainstream and middle of the road as those who hate him. lol!

As for me… Well he's ok. His music isn't something I could ever love, but I've got his “No Jacket Required” album and it's much like something from someone like Robert Palmer or Biran Ferry from the same period: Nice and poppy with a lot of synth and some good high energy tracks as well as a couple of nice reflective slow ones.

lastcall at 9:50AM, Jan. 15, 2008
(offline)
mhowad
Fall Out Boy?
Greenday?

I really don't know

When I think of emo, I think of bands like AFI.
mhowad at 9:52AM, Jan. 15, 2008
(offline)

Phil Collins Genisis is a great album. I used to have a tape of it, with Fleetwood mac Rumours on the other side.
He's in his own little world

http://www.drunkduck.com/Little_World/
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:01PM
ozoneocean at 10:15AM, Jan. 15, 2008
(online)
I do have a fave Pil Collins track, it's “A long Log Way To Go” :)

lastcall at 11:53AM, Jan. 15, 2008
(offline)
ozoneocean
I do have a fave Phil Collins track, it's “A long Long Way To Go” :)

From No Jacket Required, I always liked ‘We Said Hello Goodbye’. I also like ‘That’s All' from when he was in Genesis, and ‘I Don’t Care Anymore' from Hello, I Must Be Going has some really good lyrics. The song was written after one of his first divorces, and he's basically explaining that he doesn't care what his ex-wife thinks, no matter how many rumors and lies she tells about him…he just doesn't care.

I don't like how he sold out to Disney in his more recent days, with Tarzan and all, but meh…what're ya gonna do.
ozoneocean at 5:26PM, Jan. 15, 2008
(online)
Heh, Elton John sold out earlier and harder. lol!
“We Said Hello Goodbye” IS a great track as well.

lastcall at 1:34PM, Jan. 16, 2008
(offline)
ozoneocean
Heh, Elton John sold out earlier and harder. lol!

This is true….dammit, now I got frackin' Circle of Life in my head…MAKE IT STOOOPP!!!
Shadow_X at 4:11PM, Jan. 22, 2008
(online)
I like pretty much all music, if I don't like it, I can tolerate it. If I really like it, I'll learn it on my saxophone and play it when I'm bored :P
My favorites would have to be:
1. Three Days Grace
2. DragonForce(The entire “Inhuman Rampage” CD is amazing)
3. Tenacious D
4. Lynard Skynard
5. Breaking Benjamin

Just to name a few. I like to listen to the words and try to relate to them, but I really like listening to music for the way it sounds.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:32PM
korosu at 6:23AM, Feb. 9, 2008
(online)
I could tell all the music that I like, but it'd be a much shorter list to tell you the kind that I don't like: country and rap/hip-hop. Of course, there are exceptions to both, but for the most part I can't stand listening to them.
Really, the genres I love the most are rock and pop/rock-folk, and you'll find anything from jazz to classical to music soundtracks to eurodance to piano music. Most of my favorite bands/musicians are:

U2
Bruce Sprinsteen
The Beatles
Carbon Leaf
System of a Down
Dave Matthews Band
Jars of Clay
Leonard Cohen
Queen
Ray Charles
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:21PM

Forgot Password