Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Im staring a new comic and need a little help. Please help!
KittenOfTheEclipse at 12:23PM, Jan. 1, 2008
(offline)
Im starting a final fantasy 8 comic (useing the script from the game) but there's bit when someone is in another room but you can still here them so i need to know how do you fade the speech bubble's and im not sure if i should do the comic in black and white or coloured. i don't have anything like photoshop only MS paint. thank you if you help me ^.^ oh sorry i spelled starting wrong in the topic sorry.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:17PM
Warpedwenger at 2:02PM, Jan. 1, 2008
(online)
Im not sure how to help you with your main problem but I can tell you this… If you dont have the cash for photoshop photofiltre is a great freeware alternative. Now if it was me I would illustrate the voices were coming from another room by pointing the word bubble out of a vent or something but I dont think thats what your going for.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:46PM
CharleyHorse at 5:20PM, Jan. 1, 2008
(offline)
I've handled the problem of hearing a person speak from another room by changing the shape of the dialog balloon from oval to rectangular. Sometimes I kept a speech pointer attached and sometimes I left it off. You can keep the balloon pointer attached if you want. Just point it roughly in the direction of the person speaking off camera.

There's more than one way to handle the problem, though. You can simply stick to an oval dialog balloon and then add the pointer that's aimed at the person speaking off camera.

Going pure black and white or using shades of gray or going for full color is a decision that has to fit your own desires. What do YOU want to do? My own comic strip is in black and white with shades of gray added.

As for paint programs there is a really great free replacement program for MS Paint called paint.net – and you can find it here –http://www.getpaint.net/

There is a free program called The Gimp – and you can get it here – http://www.gimp.org/

Let's see . . . also utterly free of charge and considered a significant cartoonist's software is Pixia, which is a Japanese application. Their English version is found here:
http://park18.wakwak.com/~pixia/

I hope some of this is helpful!

CharleyHorse

last edited on July 14, 2011 11:40AM
Frostflowers at 12:58AM, Jan. 2, 2008
(online)
If you can get your hands on a free program (like the ones CharleyHorse linked), it's a matter of putting the speech-bubble on a different layer and pulling down the opacity.

If you're going to work in MS Paint - you do the colour of speech-bubbles of people IN the room in white, right? Then colour the speech-bubbles of people in other rooms grey, or something, to show a clear difference.

Hope that helped. :)
The Continued Misadventures of Bonebird - a poor bird's quest for the ever-elusive and delicious apples.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:31PM
Kohdok at 5:38AM, Jan. 3, 2008
(online)
I know a pretty simple way of doing it: Make the door talk. That is, have the speech bubble coming from the door to imply it is coming from another room. Also, a little trick so you can tell who is talking is to have a little face of the person talking somewhere in the bubble.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:20PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved