Debate and Discussion

In The Immortal Words Of Biz Markie...
Ian Jay at 6:25AM, Aug. 23, 2006
(offline)
Oh, snap.

Scientists have just found absolute hard evidence of the existence of “dark matter”, a mysterious substance that apparently holds galaxies together yet is pushing them apart at the same time. It's thought that they'll be the main catalyst for the end of the universe: the galaxies and stars and things will rush away from each other, and we'll all be stuck in an empty, soul-penetrating blackness until we're finally snuffed like a candle.

Debate topic: Is this discovery a good thing or a bad thing? More importantly, should we even care? (All I know is, when I read the news on Overcompensating, I freaked out.)

~IJ
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:56PM
ccs1989 at 6:39AM, Aug. 23, 2006
(online)
Huh. Well, that's not exactly cheerful news.
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:38AM
LIZARD_B1TE at 2:56PM, Aug. 23, 2006
(online)
Well, if Science Fiction teaches us anything, we humans will mess around with this dark matter and ultimately destroy ourselves. So, we shouldn't care, but we're gonna anyway. Because humans are assholes.

Yes, I'm a very pessimistic person.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:36PM
Duck at 3:05PM, Aug. 23, 2006
(offline)
Right now this can only be seen as speculation. All this data is too new. But it's realatively interesting to hear about.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:17PM
Jillers at 3:53PM, Aug. 23, 2006
(offline)
I agree with LIZARD_B1TE that humans will probably star messing around with it as soon as they can and bring about the end of the universe.
I smell doom in the air.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:08PM
LIZARD_B1TE at 3:58PM, Aug. 23, 2006
(online)
Why can't people just say “Lizard Bite”, “Lizard”, or “Bite” or something? I hate how I wrote my user name.

I don't think humans are meant to know how the universe works, anyway. So much information, how can we possibly comprehend it? It would crush our feeble minds the second we learned these secrets!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:36PM
ozoneocean at 7:52PM, Aug. 30, 2006
(online)
In science there are always popular theories and popular counter theories. The counter theory to Dark Matter is that “perhaps we've got it all wrong about gravity on a galactic scale anyway?”. Basically, dark matter just fills a hole, like anti-gravity. Time will tell as to weather there really is such a thing, despite any amount of “hard proof”.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:23PM
Mazoo at 10:25AM, Aug. 31, 2006
(offline)
I still don't get what exactly they're talking about. This “Dark Matter” isn't the same as “Anti-Matter” is it? I remember the big Hulabaloo about “Anti-Matter” a few years back.

I agree with Ozone, on how this really just seems like another theory to paste onto the whole gravity mystery. Heck, what happened to the huge deal about The String Theory?

If NASA can't simplify the whole idea for dumb people like me, then I pretty much dismiss it (and yet I “get” the string theory and the ideas behind it).

Like, is this “cosmic wind” or whatever they were talking about going to come around to our Solar System and obliterate us, or are they more worried about us colliding with another galaxy? We already knew from the Big Bang theory that we're moving in space, so there was always that possibility to begin with. From what I know, we already are on a collision course with some other galaxy.

I think NASA is just trying to make everyone paranoid.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:56PM
Ian Jay at 12:45PM, Aug. 31, 2006
(offline)
Mazoo
I think NASA is just trying to make everyone paranoid.

NEWS FLASH! Scientists have discovered that Pluto has broken out of its orbit and is tearing towards Earth at an unimaginable speed!

“We're not sure about why this is,” said Dr. Jeremiah F. P. Von Dorltheimersonsteinsonsteinson, Esq., head astronomer at the Just Really Amazingly Huge Telescope Base in Lima, Peru. “It could possibly be a cloud of dust particles that knocked it off course. It could be magnetic fluctuations within its core. But most likely it's because we stripped it of its planet status.”

“All we know is, when we look at it through the telescope, we can see that it's really angry. We think it's out for revenge.”

The astronomers at the Base forecast a hundred percent chance of total sudden death around 3pm, followed by scattered showers afterwards. They recommend going down to a basement or some other low-lying area, “even though it ain't gonna do any good.”

Tonight at eleven: We scream and piss ourselves! Don't miss it!

~IJ
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:56PM
Mazoo at 3:10PM, Aug. 31, 2006
(offline)
Hehe.

Ian Jay
But most likely it's because we stripped it of its planet status.

Poor, vengeful Pluto.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:56PM
ccs1989 at 4:00PM, Aug. 31, 2006
(online)
We're not dead yet, so I'll take that as a good sign.

I think NASA just wants their funding kept up. I mean, that money could go to Universal Health Care, not studying “The Effect of Zero-Gravity on an Inchworm” or whatever they use that space-station for.

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
ozoneocean at 7:00AM, Sept. 1, 2006
(online)
That's interesting though… Universal healthcare. Is it really in our best interest to do such a thing? It's morally correct, but is it a good idea?
Environmentalists tell us that less people are better than more. More people= more drains of limited resources= more poverty= more disease= more pollution= more threats to wildlife…
I don't want to cull people or deny them human rights, but it's not smart to always put humanity first, there must be built in limitations, so such considerations should never weigh on NASA's funding. Quite apart from anything else, funding to NASA might someday SOLVE some of the problems associated with uncontrolled expansion of humanity, and our increasing overuse of resources. SO in that way, short term moral calculations are outweighed by intelligent speculative ones: Money can always come form somewhere else anyway, but money alone will never eliminate the problems.

ccs1989 at 7:55AM, Sept. 2, 2006
(online)
Yes, I'm sure that testing the effects of 0 gravity on tiny animals will solve all our problems…

Okay, so NASA's funding shouldn't be cut, but I still think a lot of what they do is useless.

ozoneocean at 2:58PM, Sept. 2, 2006
(online)
Look, you can just poor money onto various “problems” and never ever make them go away. All you do is attack the symptoms, like simply bailing out a sinking boat rather then finding the leak and plugging it.
You STILL need to bail yourself out, but if you never plug the leak then that's all you'll ever be doing, and eventually you'll get too tired and drown.

That's why we need scientific research institutes. They swallow a lot of money themselves, but it's nothing compared to all the money gobbled by all the other government dependant agencies.
Institutions like NASA are amazingly under-funded. There were jokes about the Russian space industry, but the reality is that there is no difference between it and NASA. They BOTH have collapsing buildings, crappy old computers, technology that's out of date…
And maybe some experiments SEEM useless and silly, but that doesn't mean that they are. Maybe you just don't know enough about them? They do occasionally let schools send up little experiments and things like that, but that's all part of PR: trying to create a better relationship with the community and fostering interest in the space program for younger generations.

There are ugly military aspects too, that's just part of what they have to do to maintain their existence unfortunately.

ozoneocean at 3:13AM, Sept. 3, 2006
(online)
…space colonies would be one way. But the things they discover through research is more varied than a SciFi dream of space civilisations. Investigation of extra terrestrial geology and atmospheres teaches us about our own planet and the problems/oportunities here.

Comicmasta at 5:33AM, Sept. 3, 2006
(offline)
ozoneocean
…space colonies would be one way. But the things they discover through research is more varied than a SciFi dream of space civilisations. Investigation of extra terrestrial geology and atmospheres teaches us about our own planet and the problems/oportunities here.
Like that space cloud O_o
i have been brought back….The Boanitia..grrrrr…..Must find Super Jesus!!!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:43AM
ozoneocean at 8:42AM, Sept. 3, 2006
(online)
What the fuck? 100x NASA's budget couldn't ever do that!

Study of extra terrestrial geology can help us better understand the formation of our own geology, better equiping us to find scarse or valuable resources, prevent errosion, etc… That's just and example, but having better knowldge of those two things alone REALLY WOULD help countries in Africa, where as your mythical made-up magical mega-budget would just get blown on more AK 47's, mig 29 jet fighters and gold Rolls Royces.

Berlin Poe at 8:33PM, Sept. 4, 2006
(offline)
I think we are all mostly ready to be snuffed out…by something as cool as darkmatter…

When will it be powering my space ship?
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:20AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved