Media Megaforum

Inception
MicMit at 8:23AM, July 17, 2010
(online)
Awright I went to see Inception last night, and my god, that movie was awesome. It reminded me of when I first watched the Matrix, just with the interchangeable realities, but this was just so much more complex, and so much better!

Now that's been over 10 years since Titanic and RomeoxJuliet, I feel quite comfortable in saying that Leonardo DiCaprio is awesome. It was just a few weeks ago that I watched Shutter Island, and now I get to see this. Seriously I have to recommend this movie, it'll really take you for a trip.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:01PM
Hawk at 5:16PM, July 17, 2010
(online)
I agree, Inception was suspenseful, mind-bending, and incredible. The premise is so well thought-out and engaging that I would just sort of lose myself. There was this one part during the movie were I realized my face felt kind of funny… that's when I realized that I was smiling. Man, what a ride. I think I'll watch it again at the theater.

MicMit
It reminded me of when I first watched the Matrix

I also kept getting that “Matrix” feeling while watching the movie. And it wasn't because the movie was ripping off the Matrix or anything. It's like you said, the movie starts challenging your perceptions of reality, and it does it in a different way than Matrix did.

It's so nice to see a good movie that's not relying on the 3D gimmick, too.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:47PM
skoolmunkee at 1:28PM, July 18, 2010
(online)
Sounds like I'll have to see this one in theatres then. :]
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:43PM
12thCenturyFox at 10:49PM, July 18, 2010
(offline)
Then it's settled. I'll definitely catch this film then. The trailers looked beyond amazing and certainty piqued my interest.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:44AM
Jonko at 8:46AM, July 19, 2010
(online)
I'm watching it at the end of this month (I've made plans to), sucks that I have to wait that long!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:11PM
mlai at 8:21AM, July 20, 2010
(online)
This is one of the best movies I've seen in a long while. I wasn't smiling like Hawk, because through the last 1/3 of the movie my jaw was just dropped open the entire time.

I could swear that the writer of this movie must have read and absorbed the exact science fiction and gothic novels as me; I was identifying and relating to every imagery and device used in this movie. Or maybe the writing and art direction was just so good that I felt as if we read the same books. This movie just had me on every level.

This movie is by no means a horror film, but when you're as immersed as I was, all the psychological suspense had me on edge the entire time.

PSEUDO-SPOILERS BELOW

Let me count…

1. Dreamscape (obviously, had to be mentioned)
2. Ash Feather Federation (that's why that friggin' train creeped me out so much!)
3. The Man Who Folded Himself
4. Lathe of Heaven (some of the imagery of the deeper levels, and the “creating”)
5. Jane Eyre (the wife, the wife!)

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:06PM
Hakoshen at 4:50AM, July 23, 2010
(offline)
It was mindblowing. Trippier than the Matrix and more non-stop than Eagle Eye. And that ending….
God needed the Devil, the Beatles needed the Rolling Stones, Hakoshen needs me.
I'm the enemy he requires to define him.
Soon or later, he'll bring me back to life again for another epic encounter of shouting about power levels and grimacing.
-Harkovast
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:41PM
mlai at 5:49AM, July 23, 2010
(online)
DISCUSSION OF THE MOVIE'S ENDING BELOW:
If you're actually surprised by the ending, then you must have not seen all those Freddy Kreuger movies like I have.

But anyways, IMO, the ending for him is the same happy ending whether or not the top tips over. His major inner demon is his guilt over his wife. He has resolved that now, and is free, and can devote himself to his children entirely. Whether or not that top tips over, he is still going to be doing the exact same thing, feeling the exact same happiness.

If you say it's different, then why is it different? What makes reality any more real? It's all just signals going to the brain anyways.

Hawk at 9:09AM, July 23, 2010
(online)
I'm glad you said that, mlai. I actually had some bit of concern over the ending.

I decided to just believe that he made it out of the dreams, but the fact that they didn't prove it still worried me. But you're right, it's a happy ending for him either way.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
F Y R E 13 R A N D at 3:08PM, July 26, 2010
(online)
Aw, the ending will be fully explained once they make the sequel, Inception 2: Dream Harder.

But, in all seriousness, that movie was awesome.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:25PM
altprom at 5:58PM, July 26, 2010
(offline)
It definately fit the summer blockbuster role.

Ah, the ending? The whole theater I was end just went “WHAT. Serioulsly?” It did have one of those endings which is pretty obnoxious. Well, unless you're into that.

But it was fun! Especially that no gratify fight? It was a treat for the eye.

…I don't believe there's any spoliers in that right?
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:49AM
Bocaj at 9:14PM, July 30, 2010
(online)
Inception, in my opinion was overrated, but still really a great action flick with a pretty well done plot.
On the ending…
He turns away from his top before he can see if it falls or not, so he seems to not entirely care if he is in the real world or not.

Don't read Rape.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:32AM
korosu at 9:21PM, July 30, 2010
(online)
Aahhh, I got to see this movie tonight (FREAKIN' FINALLY), so now I can participate in the conversations and not feel like a loser!

Both Inception and Shutter Island spoilers ahead: Maybe it's just me, but I found it interesting how both Inception and Shutter Island had ambiguous endings. I guess it was a little worse with Shutter Island because it left the viewer uncertain with whether Leo's character was still trapped in his delusion or not. With Inception, he was reunited with his children, which is what he really wanted all long, so whether he's still in a dream or reality doesn't matter to him. Of course, if he IS still in a dream, then that means his *real* kids have been left orphaned… Whoops.

I had something of an argument with my dad over whether the top was really about to topple over or not. He says that because we see it wobble that meant it was about to fall, because when Leo spins the dream top in the safe we see it continuously spinning without a wobble. I still say that because the camera cuts off before we actually see the top fall over, we can't be sure whether it's truly reality or just another dream. But then, if it WAS a dream, then how and when did he get there: when he wakes up on the plane? When he washes up on the beach? Did he get stuck in some limbo? *sigh* Don't get me wrong, I love a good twist and a movie that really gets you thinking, but there's certainly no need to drive us crazy!

I agree, altprom: the effects were just so trippy, it was all just so amazing to watch.

I'm so glad to see Leo coming out these past few years as such a great actor. I mean, I've been in love with him since Titanic (ngl, it's still one of my biggest guilty pleasures), and for him to be this successful now is good to see.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:21PM
Bocaj at 10:07PM, July 30, 2010
(online)
korosu
Stuff
Wait…Shutter Island had a twist ending? I thought it was pretty clear he was insane and everyone who watched it with me agreed. I don't think it is intentionally ambiguous…
With all this Inception/Shutter Island talk, I should say I preferred Shutter Island.

Don't read Rape.
mlai at 6:33AM, July 31, 2010
(online)
Even though men look down on Leonardo because of Titanic, even back then anybody could tell he's a good actor. I never had a problem with him.

During the movie I did get confused over which dream levels belonged to which dreamer.

Did level 1 (the city) belong to the Chemist? What about the other levels?

MicMit at 7:02AM, July 31, 2010
(online)
mlai
Even though men look down on Leonardo because of Titanic, even back then anybody could tell he's a good actor. I never had a problem with him.

Oh no doubt, he has always been an exceptional actor. I just remember being like 5 or 6 when Titanic came out, and my older sister swooned over De Caprio for months, like every other girl. Naturally, by law of sibling relations, I hated him, and he came to represent everything that a boy should never be. Now I've just grown up, and the craze for him has died down, it's a lot easier for me to see his actual talent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:01PM
korosu at 7:49AM, July 31, 2010
(online)
Bocaj
Wait…Shutter Island had a twist ending? I thought it was pretty clear he was insane and everyone who watched it with me agreed. I don't think it is intentionally ambiguous…
Well, at the very, very end of the movie, Teddy asks “Chuck”, “I wonder, is it better to live like a monster, or die a good man.” Yeah, he was mentally disturbed before, but the whole point of the doctors letting him play out the entire delusion was in hopes that it would finally snap him back to reality. When Teddy calls Sheehan “Chuck”, all the doctors believe the whole thing was a bust and have him hoisted off to be lobotomized. However, the statement “I wonder, is it better to live like a monster, or die a good man” has the audience to believe that perhaps Teddy was in fact back to his normal self, but led them the others to believe he was still crazy because he didn't want to live the rest of his life with the guilt of what in fact happened to his wife and children.

mlai
Did level 1 (the city) belong to the Chemist? What about the other levels?
Yeah, the rainy city belonged to the Chemist (his urge to go pee causes the rainfall), the hotel belongs to Arthur, and the snow fortress belonged to the Forger. This blog does a good job breaking the whole thing down.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:21PM
Bocaj at 6:58PM, July 31, 2010
(online)
korosu
More stuff
I never thought of it that way! That is a cool interpretation, and makes you think more about the character.

Don't read Rape.
JazylH at 6:17AM, Aug. 1, 2010
(online)
I can easily say, “One of the best movies ever!” The best part was you never knew what to expect & yet every scene was portrayed perfectly! Loved it!

Updated Mondays & Fridays
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:07PM
alwinbot at 12:43PM, Aug. 4, 2010
(online)
I have no idea why Di Caprio's character kept calling himself the best extractor around. He seemed to be a better architect as shown by his limbo world. Another thing about the limbo world, shouldn't time move even slower in that? So shouldn't Ellen Page and Leonardo Di Caprio have spent much more time in that zone.

It was a pretty kick ass movie though, and the ambiguous ending was interesting.
Read this comic. It is the greatest journal comic ever written and drawn. Trust me.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:50AM
Genejoke at 2:48PM, Aug. 7, 2010
(online)
A damn fine movie… expectations of Nolans movies are always going to be high now.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:33PM
mlai at 8:38PM, Aug. 7, 2010
(online)
alwinbot
I have no idea why Di Caprio's character kept calling himself the best extractor around. He seemed to be a better architect as shown by his limbo world.
He's an architect turned extractor. It is acknowledged that he is a terrific architect, but he stopped doing that because his wife keeps sabotaging him. For him to be architect means that his wife would just be even better at messing things up.

Another thing about the limbo world, shouldn't time move even slower in that? So shouldn't Ellen Page and Leonardo Di Caprio have spent much more time in that zone.
(1) They wanted to stay there as short as possible.
(2) By then, it was like mere seconds (IRL) before awakening.

It was a pretty kick ass movie though, and the ambiguous ending was interesting.
LOL I still don't see how ppl could have been surprised by the ending. Like I said, too many Freddy Krueger films under my belt.

Genejoke at 7:28AM, Aug. 8, 2010
(online)
The ending was sign posted throughout the film, not subtle but very good.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:33PM
AQua_ng at 8:55AM, Aug. 12, 2010
(online)
What if you made a totem in one of the dream levels? ARGH MY HEAD. Inception was one of those films that makes your head hurt the more you think about it. But it was such a gripping movie all of the way and just so god damn good.

K.A.L.A-dan! Brigade Captain :D
K.A.L.A.-dan forums!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:59AM
seventy2 at 10:39PM, Aug. 13, 2010
(online)
movie: awesome

ending: FFFFUUUUU

i saw what you all saw. the whole he's happy that's all that mattered. but still. the fracking top! they didn't even have to go back to it. i realized we'd never know, when he didn't wait to see the top. just giving it a warble destroyed my brain and raged me
facara
Running Anew an exercise blog.
I'm gonna love you till the money comes, half of it's gonna be mine someday.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:30PM
blindsk at 12:51PM, Aug. 20, 2010
(online)
Finally saw this movie last night, and it definitely lived up to everyone's comments here for me. What an amazing ride. And as far as DiCaprio goes? I honestly thought he proved his versatility in The Departed, but that's just me.

The only complaint I would have with the movie was that it wasn't as methodical as I would've hoped. But that's just a nit.

Anyway, I have a crazy theory on what might have happened…

Alright, I'm just going to throw it out there that I believe the entire thing was about Adriadne extracting something for Cobb: the concept of Mal. Mal could've just been someone he'd known and loved, or possibly his actual wife. Essentially, we were just looking at a dream solely by Cobb. It lines up with the statement that “ideas are like a virus,” which is why Mal can show up in “other people's” dreams as well (because they're his).

When Adriadne explains that others can bring in aspects of their subconscious into other's dreams? Could just be a cover-up that she's really just in his dream alone. None of the others really have reoccurring memories in the movie.

A few things led me to believe this, most substantially the fact that Cobb meets the forger in a dream (at least I think so). I mean, I realize it's depicting him picking up one of their team members, but how and why would he need to be in a dream to do this? Does the forger only spend his life in other's dreams (or maybe his own) or this is just another one of Cobb's constructs?

Anyway, you might just pass this off as some crazy theory, and it probably is. But the script left this open-ended to facilitate such ideas. ;)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:25AM
ParkerFarker at 12:21AM, Aug. 24, 2010
(online)
you know, don't hate me for it but I didn't think it was all that. I'm not just saying that to be different or whatever, I just geniunely didn't think it lived up to what you're all saying.
It had a fairly good idea. I didn't think it was like the matrix, though. It didn't challenge what your own world is. It really had nothing to say about the world I was living in. It could potentially make me question whether I was in some dream state but I didn't and that's nothing new, anyway. It was really just a story about some people, almost like ocean's eleven or something.
And with the way the movie was directed, it seemed a bit hollywood, if you ask me. The acting in it was so perfect and unrealistic as is too common in films lately, especially american films. And a few tiny things seemed a bit clichéd which I suppose would be allowed in the dreams because the dreams would be portraying what the person's preconceptions are.
The effects were spot on though. The changing gravity stuff made me wonder how in the hell they filmed that. It was really good.

I just didn't think it was as good as you're all saying.

“We are in the stickiest situation since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun.” - Blackadder
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:39PM
mlai at 5:53AM, Aug. 24, 2010
(online)
ParkerFarker
I just geniunely didn't think it lived up to what you're all saying.
What exactly are ppl all saying? I don't think it was 1984 or something. I simply think that Hollywood should at least once in a while give us a smartly-written film that doesn't treat us like we're stupid, while at the same time still being a summer blockbuster.

It was really just a story about some people, almost like ocean's eleven or something.
Exactly why it was good. It was the sting + mission impossible + dreamscape + … other stuff, expertly interwoven.

The acting in it was so perfect and unrealistic as is too common in films lately, especially american films.
What does that even mean? Do you mean all the characters felt too “heroic”?

Hawk at 10:14AM, Aug. 24, 2010
(online)
ParkerFarker
you know, don't hate me for it but I didn't think it was all that. I'm not just saying that to be different or whatever, I just geniunely didn't think it lived up to what you're all saying.

I think this is one of the reasons why for some movies you have to see it before the internet hype train takes effect. The way people talk about things on the internet, you'd be forgiven for expecting some sort of mind-blowing experience.

“EPIC!!! BEST. _______. EVER.”

Sorry you didn't get as much out of the movie as I did. It's okay though, your take on Inception is as valid as anyone else's.

If Christopher Nolan's work is stuck within Hollywood's style, I like to at least think he's pushing the style forward with some new ideas and good storytelling.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:47PM
blindsk at 8:34PM, Aug. 24, 2010
(online)
Hawk
If Christopher Nolan's work is stuck within Hollywood's style, I like to at least think he's pushing the style forward with some new ideas and good storytelling.

I completely agree here. And hey, you're right, maybe it isn't the best movie of all time, but it certainly was the defining movie of the summer, save for maybe TS3, if you want to count that.

At least for me, having a solid script that allows the viewer to think and fill in sequences themselves is something that I'm certainly drawn to. This movie doesn't disappointed there.

I understand a lot of people like to compare this movie with others of similar shock value, but I don't think the point really was to just show us a new way of thinking of dreams (or the entire world for that matter). It really was supposed to be about the characters. The whole dream aspect served as an extremely interesting backdrop.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:25AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved