Media Megaforum

Inception
Genejoke at 4:59PM, Aug. 25, 2010
(online)
2nd best film of the year, after the expendables.

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:33PM
ParkerFarker at 12:01AM, Aug. 27, 2010
(online)
mlai
ParkerFarker
I just geniunely didn't think it lived up to what you're all saying.
What exactly are ppl all saying? I don't think it was 1984 or something. I simply think that Hollywood should at least once in a while give us a smartly-written film that doesn't treat us like we're stupid, while at the same time still being a summer blockbuster.
Well I'm sure we can agree that the general consensus from this thread is that it is the best movie of the year. Yes, it didn't spell everything out for the audience as if they were five-year-olds, and that's great, I'm happy about that.
It was really just a story about some people, almost like ocean's eleven or something.
Exactly why it was good. It was the sting + mission impossible + dreamscape + … other stuff, expertly interwoven.
It was all those things nicely balanced, and so it had the type of clichéd elements of those genres. For example they had the abandoned concrete warehouse headquarters, the chase seen in some crowded exotic market/back alleys, the smooth-talking british man, and it followed many of the steps of the hero's journey. In my opinion, it wasn't anything that new and exciting, it just had a more interesting way of using old ideas.

The acting in it was so perfect and unrealistic as is too common in films lately, especially american films.
What does that even mean? Do you mean all the characters felt too “heroic”?
I mean the acting was just that; acting. It didn't feel realistic. Everyone spoke their lines with the exact emotion they wanted and they never stumbled or muttered. When I speak most of what I say has pauses and I might mispronounce a word or two by accident. Everyone does. Everyone in real life, that is. I thought it felt as if they were reading from a script. I know what I'm asking is something that you hardly come across in mainstream movies, but otherwise I just don't think it feels all that realistic. District 9 is a good example of what I'm talking about. They stumbled and reacted as if they were real. They actually improvised all of their lines in that movie and it felt so real, not some perfectly scripted lines.

“We are in the stickiest situation since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun.” - Blackadder
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:39PM
mlai at 1:31AM, Aug. 27, 2010
(online)
I mean the acting was just that; acting. It didn't feel realistic….. some perfectly scripted lines.
Oh, so that's your beef.

Well, considering that it's a caper film, and all the characters are “smooth criminals”, this film style is expected. Also it's Nolan's film so that's doubly expected.

It's a matter of preference rather than good/bad. After all, you can't watch Shakespeare and then complain that it doesn't sound like realistic conversation, even if you lived in Victorian England. Same type of thing here. These characters are meant to be larger-than-life, and the director never pretended otherwise.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:06PM
Genejoke at 2:09PM, Aug. 30, 2010
(online)
ParkerFarker
mlai
ParkerFarker
I just geniunely didn't think it lived up to what you're all saying.
What exactly are ppl all saying? I don't think it was 1984 or something. I simply think that Hollywood should at least once in a while give us a smartly-written film that doesn't treat us like we're stupid, while at the same time still being a summer blockbuster.
Well I'm sure we can agree that the general consensus from this thread is that it is the best movie of the year. Yes, it didn't spell everything out for the audience as if they were five-year-olds, and that's great, I'm happy about that.
It was really just a story about some people, almost like ocean's eleven or something.
Exactly why it was good. It was the sting + mission impossible + dreamscape + … other stuff, expertly interwoven.
It was all those things nicely balanced, and so it had the type of clichéd elements of those genres. For example they had the abandoned concrete warehouse headquarters, the chase seen in some crowded exotic market/back alleys, the smooth-talking british man, and it followed many of the steps of the hero's journey. In my opinion, it wasn't anything that new and exciting, it just had a more interesting way of using old ideas.

The acting in it was so perfect and unrealistic as is too common in films lately, especially american films.
I mean the acting was just that; acting. It didn't feel realistic. Everyone spoke their lines with the exact emotion they wanted and they never stumbled or muttered. When I speak most of what I say has pauses and I might mispronounce a word or two by accident. Everyone does. Everyone in real life, that is. I thought it felt as if they were reading from a script. I know what I'm asking is something that you hardly come across in mainstream movies, but otherwise I just don't think it feels all that realistic. District 9 is a good example of what I'm talking about. They stumbled and reacted as if they were real. They actually improvised all of their lines in that movie and it felt so real, not some perfectly scripted lines.

That last part is funny, if they did that in inception it would have been about six hours long as the actors tried to explain it all without it being cleverly scripted and concise.

That is a rubbish criticism as 98% of films from every nation do the same, yes there are films that have a very natural sounding scripts but it is not the norm and doesn't always make for a good film. Films are NOT real life.

But yeah it really worked for district 9.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:33PM
ParkerFarker at 5:11AM, Aug. 31, 2010
(online)
Genejoke
ParkerFarker
mlai

That last part is funny, if they did that in inception it would have been about six hours long as the actors tried to explain it all without it being cleverly scripted and concise.

That is a rubbish criticism as 98% of films from every nation do the same, yes there are films that have a very natural sounding scripts but it is not the norm and doesn't always make for a good film. Films are NOT real life.

But yeah it really worked for district 9.

That's not a rubbish criticism because almost all the movies do it. I actually said it was all too common in films but that doesn't mean I have to like. And I did specify america because it seems to be more exaggerated. I mean if you compared most american crime shows to a quite a few british ones, for example, some of the british ones sound like what I'm talking about. In my original post I used two sentences to express my gripe and mlai asked for me to clarify what I was talking about, so I did. I didn't think the acting was all that, but then I don't think the acting was all that in most films. I was just saying that I don't agree with comments made about the acting being really good. Films aren't real life, no, but the closer they are the more I can get into it. Unbelievable situations can seem plausible if the acting is realistic.

“We are in the stickiest situation since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun.” - Blackadder
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:39PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved