Media Megaforum

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
SpANG at 9:22AM, May 28, 2008
(online)
albone
… SpANG's gripes, while valid, but what do you expect from Indiana Jones?
Exactly what I wrote is what I expected. :D

Suspending disbelief has nothing to do with any of my “gripes”. My main issue was that there was no feeling of suspense throughout the whole movie, unlike the last ones. Temple may have been the worst of the three, but you still were on the edge of your seat in a few scenes.

Don't get me wrong, it was really nice seeing Indy and Marion again. And it was fun. It just felt- tired.
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:53PM
ttyler at 1:21PM, May 28, 2008
(online)
I love Indiana Jones. The first 3 are in my top favorite films……thats why I hate to say I didn't like the new one at all. It was like, Ford couldnt find the character after so long…..I saw flickers of the old Indy, just not that many.
Allen, on the other hand, came off as COMPLETELY forgetting how to act at all…..terrible preformance.
I dug the Nuclear stuff, and the beginning action sequence…..but then, it was just tired and un-inspired.
Mutt swinging through the vines, after being inspired by the monkeys to swing like them……then, having the monkeys help attack the Ruskies?? uh…….no thanks. The 4th best out of 4. Please……..no more, unless you let a great screenwriter do it up good. Don't let Lucas write anymore….please!!!

must say that Williams music score was great tho………..
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:34PM
isukun at 3:05PM, May 28, 2008
(online)
Lucas didn't write the script.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:04PM
ttyler at 7:38AM, May 29, 2008
(online)
Yeah, Lucas did a re-write with another guy….the original script for this was read buy guys at AICN, and they said it rocked…..not the mess it turned out to be once Lucas messed with it.

Also, to me, the franchise has lost its “magic”. there once was a time, kiddies, when practical effects were done by hand…..Miniatures, makeup, matte paintings, ect………they were real, and exsisted in real space. now, EVERYTHING is cgi………….and it shows. Lucas film has even dis-banded its miniatures division………….thats why WETA workshops is kicking the once mighty ILM's behinds nowadays. (Iron man looked great, but I think it had something to do with Stan Winston studios working with ILM.)
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:34PM
isukun at 6:39AM, May 30, 2008
(online)
The script was rewritten several times, but never by Lucas directly. The story is Lucas's, he gives input to the writers, much like he did with the past movies. The script as it was used for the production of the film was written by David Koepp, who did have to tweak it a bit from his original “final” version to work around Sean Connery's character. From the sound of it in interviews, Lucas was more involved with the original script than the subsequent rewrites. Even Koepp seems to have worked more with Spielberg than Lucas when working on the script.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:04PM
shaneronzio at 6:03AM, June 3, 2008
(online)
I've seen it twice now.
It is a good escape from $4.00 gas prices and the growing threat of a global government.

The movie never stops or slows down.
The entire first sequence was amazing.
I like the Ark scene( I always wondered where that thing went after raiders).
Current Project:CROSS WORLDS NEXUS
Updates Monday, Wenzday & FRIDAY
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:33PM
SpANG at 10:21AM, June 3, 2008
(online)
shaneronzio
The movie never stops or slows down.
The entire first sequence was amazing.
I like the Ark scene( I always wondered where that thing went after raiders).

I'll agree with all that, though I knew the Ark thing was coming as soon as I saw the opening wide shot of the Area 51 warehouse.

I'd probably see it again when it comes out in video. It just wasn't “hanging me on the edge of my seat” like the other ones. That's all I meant.
jalford at 2:07AM, June 4, 2008
(online)
I like how they worked in McCarthyism into too. Even someone like Jones who's like the closest thing to a superhero in this world could be viewed as being a Commie by the government.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:06PM
Eirikr at 4:28PM, June 8, 2008
(online)
I'm not sure if it's been pointed out before, but did anybody notice the dungeons in this had no traps at all? Indy and Co. just sort of walk straight through without any sense of danger. No arrows, no boulder, no whirring saw blades, nothing.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:20PM
kingofsnake at 7:33AM, June 9, 2008
(online)
I liked it.

When rejuvenating the old franchises like Indy and Die Hard etc, I think the most important thing, really is to get the character right. Its why I never really liked The Young Indiana Jones, because it never really felt like Indy. But this felt like Indiana all the way.

I just wish the McGuffin had been mystic in nature instead of alien, Indiana Jones has always dealt with the realm of the supernatural, making him deal with science fiction just didn't feel right to me.

The worst part of the nuclear blast/refrigerator bit was that it was totally unnessecary. Its like, “Hey, lets throw this completely illogical sequence into our movie, for no goddamned reason”

I didn't mind the CG much, except the groundhogs. That was distracting. And I cant help but feel like they could've done the same thing with real animals and some clever editing.

I loved the soldier ant sequence
and the quicksand sequence

Gripes:
Whoops I tripped carying the gold. I'll just lay here until I'm sucked into a vortex. WTF?
Crystal Skull is ridiculously magnetic when it's convenient?
And in the end, Indy and whatshisface have their jobs back, and are promoted for no reason.

Its certainly not the best Indiana Jones ever, but it doesn't at all feel out of place in the Indiana Jones lexicon

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:16PM
Custard Trout at 5:52PM, June 10, 2008
(offline)
I just saw it. In a word ‘blergh’, which represents me throwing up.
Hey buddy, you should be a Russian Cosmonaut, and here's why.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:01PM
marine at 8:27PM, June 11, 2008
(offline)
Crystal Skull was great.

Raiders of the Lost Ark was better.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:53PM
mlai at 8:23AM, June 13, 2008
(online)
I watched it, and I believe that I fell asleep with my eyes open.

I was rooting for Cate Blanchett. Unfortunately for her, the alien was pro-NATO. The Russians did as much for the alien as Dr. Jones did. Blatant favoritism.

What exactly was taken from Area 51? It seemed to have no relation to the crystal skull.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:06PM
lastcall at 4:01AM, June 17, 2008
(offline)
ttyler
Mutt swinging through the vines, after being inspired by the monkeys to swing like them……then, having the monkeys help attack the Ruskies?? uh…….no thanks.

Wait, wait…monkeys help attack the Russians?!? Ugh, and I was about to waste ten dollars on this movie. Thanks for making my decision easier, heh. lol!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:28PM
jalford at 2:05AM, June 19, 2008
(online)
Blanchett looked she was right out of a Rocky & Bullwinkle cartoon. At least Natasha's fake Russian accent was more believable.
Hawk at 4:17PM, June 21, 2008
(online)
I liked it. Sure the subject matter was odd, but I guess religion isn't “cool” anymore. It was a fun movie and I worried the Mutt kid would ruin it, but he didn't.

Then again, I'm no Indy buff. Just a guy who likes a fun adventure movie.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
SpANG at 4:40PM, July 11, 2008
(online)
jalford
It technically should be “Indiana Jones 3”, because Temple Of Doom was a prequal to Raiders. Last Crusade was the actual “ID2”. Otherwise, Star Wars: Episodes 1-3 would be Episodes 6-9.
I don't see the logic you are using, unless you are calling Temple Of Doom Indy “0”, which makes no sense. It's Indiana Jones 4 no matter how you slice it.

By release:
1. Raiders
2. Temple
3. Crusade
4. Skull

By chronological order:
1. Temple
2. Raiders
3. Crusade
4. Skull

jalford at 2:51AM, July 12, 2008
(online)
They never do say what happened to Shorty after Temple Of Doom though. Didn't the kid who played him go on to be in The Goonies.
Hawk at 4:01PM, July 13, 2008
(online)
jalford
They never do say what happened to Shorty after Temple Of Doom though. Didn't the kid who played him go on to be in The Goonies.

Yes, and then he went on to be a fight choreographer that worked on X-Men the Movie.
SpANG at 6:56AM, July 16, 2008
(online)
Hawk
jalford

Yes, and then he went on to be a fight choreographer that worked on X-Men the Movie.
I was hoping he'd show up. Wouldn't that have been cool?
bobhhh at 5:20PM, July 24, 2008
(offline)
ozoneocean
The Last Crusade sucked… Am I the only person who thought that Sean Conery is unnecessary ?

It was just overdoing it to have him in there. HUGELY.

And the “Old dog teaching a young dog new tricks” stuff shits me in a movie like that because he's a character with NO history! He's just parachuted in on the series when the other character has two films under it's belt and we're supposed to believe it has some seniority of experience with the same traits as the other… That's not right.

The first was the best. The second had lovely 1930's stuff in it, loved the scenes in Hong Kong!

Sean Connery is blustery, curmudgeonly, overrated ass. I'd love to see a female wrestler give the boot to his mysogonist butt.
My name is Bob and I approved this signature.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:30AM
Hawk at 6:17PM, July 24, 2008
(online)
SpANG
Hawk
jalford

I was hoping he'd show up. Wouldn't that have been cool?

Yeah, if only to yell, “You call him Doctor Jones!”
mlai at 10:07PM, July 24, 2008
(online)
Sean Connery is blustery, curmudgeonly, overrated ass. I'd love to see a female wrestler give the boot to his mysogonist butt.
You just jealous of My Hero.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:06PM
jalford at 3:35AM, Aug. 3, 2008
(online)
If they do Indy 5, they need to have Doc Jones totally wipe the floor with Brenden Fraser's wannabe character from The Mummy quadrilogy.
supermathsbeaver at 11:46PM, Aug. 8, 2008
(online)
jalford
If they do Indy 5, they need to have Doc Jones totally wipe the floor with Brenden Fraser's wannabe character from The Mummy quadrilogy.
That wouldn't be hard if you go by the third Mummy. I like Rick O'connel! Pure escapism and even though the third was weak it wasn't as soul crushingly disapointing as Crystal Skull (it was never going to be good without Imhotep). I cried at the end of IJ4:KCS with laughter, at those crappy, crappy ‘sentient beings’ (blatantly martians). <;}
GREEN BURGERS KILL PEOPLE!!!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:04PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved