Media Megaforum

Inglourious Basterds/I Want My Nazi Scalps!
fern at 8:13PM, Aug. 21, 2009
(online)
The new film by Quentin Tarantino was released today.

The plot revolves around “an alternate history of the Second World War in which the entire top leadership of Nazi Germany, namely Hitler, Goering, Goebbels and Bormann attend a film premiere in Paris celebrating the exploits of a German sniper who had managed to kill 300 American soldiers in Italy. The time-frame of the film is set in early June 1944, after the D-Day landings but before the liberation of Paris.”

So what are your thoughts about the film?

I thought it was quite interesting with the ending and all but geesh, it kept going and going with pointless Tarantino dialogue.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:28PM
ttyler at 8:19PM, Aug. 21, 2009
(online)
I'm going to check it out tomorrow, but with a Tarantino film, you HAVE to expect LONG periods of dialogue. Sometimes it works, sometimes its a chore getting through it…..because, lets face it, What is interesting and amusing to Tarantino, isnt always interesting and amusing to the masses…………we'll see if this thing is as good as reviews are saying.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:34PM
Dark Pascual at 9:04PM, Aug. 21, 2009
(online)
Have to admit that 3 Tarantino movies are in my top 10 list (Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill), so Im really expecting these…

For the trailers, it seems like a pretty awesome movie.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:07PM
lefarce at 12:10AM, Aug. 22, 2009
(online)
This was easily the best movie I've seen all year, after the sweeping dissapointment that was Terminator Salvation, I feel 2009 has been saved.

The ending was one of the most rewarding ones I've watch in I dont know how long. Seeing Hitler get shot to death, and then shot repeatidly just for the hell of it caused my face to be frozen in an expression of pure glee for the rest of the night.

An old OLD man was walking out of the film and complaining as I left. He was upset because “there wasnt enough dead nazis!”

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:33PM
PIT_FACE at 11:16AM, Aug. 22, 2009
(online)
aw man, a DEFINATE Tarantino flick, and i say that as a good thing. as said earlier, it was full of tarantino style dialogue which i DO like, even if it gets longwinded sometimes, i find it to entruiging ussually. and when it's not talky it's fuckin GRIZZLY!holy fuck!the part with the Bear Jew and the baseball bat,man i had to cringe a little. rest assured, if you like seeing Nazis just get fucked up without mercy, then you'll LOVE this movie!

LeFarce
An old OLD man was walking out of the film and complaining as I left. He was upset because “there wasnt enough dead nazis!”

hahaha! that made my fuckin day.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:45PM
mlai at 9:27PM, Aug. 22, 2009
(online)
The idiots killed Hitler?!

Oh great, now the Allies are gonna lose the war.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:06PM
Dark Pascual at 9:41PM, Aug. 22, 2009
(online)
mlai

And now I'm even more excited to see it!!!
fern at 10:01PM, Aug. 22, 2009
(online)
Dark Pascual
mlai

But now you know the ending!! Aren't you disappointed?
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:28PM
Dark Pascual at 10:20PM, Aug. 22, 2009
(online)
fern
Dark Pascual
mlai

But now you know the ending!! Aren't you disappointed?

Not really…I'm not the kind of guy who feels spoiled when somebody tells the ending of a movie BEFORE I watch it. Besdes, the ending is just 1/3 of the movie. I REALLY need to know how the other 2/3 goes!!!
ttyler at 3:34AM, Aug. 23, 2009
(online)
Saw it. I wanted to see alot more of the Basterds, but in reality, they aren't in it as much as the trailer seems to say they are. Also, I found it a bit too drawn out in places. The action and suspenseful moments leading to a nice pay off were great, but it sure seemed to take alot to get to those moments.
It was shot well. Nice soundtrack. (Love the Morriconi node in the beginning.)But, having said that David Bowie DOES NOT fit well with a WW2 movie….at least in my opinion. When that started, it took me immediately out of the picture for a moment. What if they started blasting Taylor Swift, or megadeth? That's what it felt like to me.
Cool characters. The Jew Hunter was awesome and deserves a nod at Oscar time. Loved Pitt, but felt he wasn't in it much.
Loved the ending. Overall, enjoyed it, but not Tarantino's best. I'll leave that to Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction and his script in True Romance. And yet, this is one of the summers best, even if its 70% talking and at least as much subtitled. Warning…….If you don't like subtitles….don't go see this movie.
ttyler at 5:34AM, Aug. 23, 2009
(online)
SPOILER WARNING…………………….

Another little nitpick I just remembered…….. When Shoshanna is killed by Zoller, I thought it was unreasonable for her character to feel sympathy for him when just seconds ago he became more that just an annoying suitor and morphed into a violent creep. It would've made more sense if she just shot him and then felt sympathy for him if he hadn't gotten rough with her. What was cool, is that in the end, her only mistake, was feeling sympathy for that which she hated. Dang!!!
ParkerFarker at 8:34AM, Aug. 23, 2009
(online)
I saw it tonight. It was pretty awesome.

But I have to agree with LeFarce's old man. I expected from the trailer 100s and 100s of dead Nazis. I mean, I thought the whole movie would just been one thing, and one thing only, killin' Nazis!

But, it was still a great movie.

I loved the start. It was Tarantino dialogue that worked. There was some of that dialogue that got a bit too long, but it did make the film feel more real. Like that scene in the cellar.

I did like how many main(ish) characters died. it added to the realism and made it lose it's Hollywood feel.

Good cinematography.

I loved the soundtrack, I thought it went really well. Especially in the bits where it wasn't really a song, but music building up and then aprubtly stopping right at the next scene.

“We are in the stickiest situation since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun.” - Blackadder
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:39PM
lefarce at 12:32PM, Aug. 23, 2009
(online)
ttyler
SPOILER WARNING…………………….

Another little nitpick I just remembered…….. When Shoshanna is killed by Zoller, I thought it was unreasonable for her character to feel sympathy for him when just seconds ago he became more that just an annoying suitor and morphed into a violent creep. It would've made more sense if she just shot him and then felt sympathy for him if he hadn't gotten rough with her. What was cool, is that in the end, her only mistake, was feeling sympathy for that which she hated. Dang!!!

How could you not get why she felt sorry, it was pretty obvious.

Despite having a strong hate towards Germans and Zoller in general, she had never actually killed anybody until that point. In fact, when the theater burns to the ground she isnt even alive to se her most terrifying act. But by shooting Zoller to death she got to face everything she hated. She had killed in cold blood, and it was unsatisfying. It wasnt the sweeping sigh of relief she thought it would be, instead making her realize that she had become everything she hated.

This is like, Character Writing 101.

EDIT: Also try using the spoiler tags broseph, they arent hard to figure out.

ttyler at 1:35PM, Aug. 23, 2009
(online)
lefarce
ttyler
SPOILER WARNING…………………….

How could you not get why she felt sorry, it was pretty obvious.

Despite having a strong hate towards Germans and Zoller in general, she had never actually killed anybody until that point. In fact, when the theater burns to the ground she isnt even alive to se her most terrifying act. But by shooting Zoller to death she got to face everything she hated. She had killed in cold blood, and it was unsatisfying. It wasnt the sweeping sigh of relief she thought it would be, instead making her realize that she had become everything she hated.

This is like, Character Writing 101.

EDIT: Also try using the spoiler tags broseph, they arent hard to figure out.

Nope….You haven't convinced me. We'll agree to disagree on your entire response. Forums are cool!!

lefarce at 6:35PM, Aug. 23, 2009
(online)
I'm not trying to convince you so much as I'm trying to say “hey you dont get it, congrats on being a dummy who cant form spoiler tags”.

ttyler at 6:34AM, Aug. 24, 2009
(online)
Heh……..
NickGuy at 1:19PM, Sept. 4, 2009
(online)
i dont get why this movie is getting so much love. it sucked worse than death proof. too much talking. they sat around playing cards. everyone talks about quentin tarentino as if hes some action and gore master…hes not. kill bill was his only movie that didnt put me to sleep with talking. the guy needs to SERIOUSLY get off his love of pot-induced ramblings that he finds incredibly deep and smart, but in actuality make me want to scream. fucking get off the stage already. brevity is key.

“Kung Fu Komix IS…hardcore martial art action all the way. 8/10” -Harkovast
“Kung Fu Komix is that rare comic that is made with heart and love of the medium, and it delivers” -Zenstrive
“Kung Fu Komix is…so awesome” -threeeyeswurm
“Kung Fu Komix is..told with all the stupid exuberance of the genre it parodies” -The Real Macabre
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:16PM
lefarce at 2:02PM, Sept. 4, 2009
(online)

The dialog is a means by which tension is ramped in his films. Look at the card game, for example.

You have two spies who need to discuss a plan to blow up the theater with a well known actress - who just so happened to pick the worst place to hold the meeting. A pack of drunken nazi's almost blow their cover several times by bumbling over. And then, to make maters much worse, a senior officer happens to be at the bar. Much more sober and with a keen ear for accents. The spies have to talk their way out of the worst possible situation: a room full of armed nazi.

You know what is going to happen. You know it will all end in a puddle of blood. You just sit there though, on the edge of your seat, wondering what mistake these guys are going to make to end it all. The believable dialog, fantastic pacing, and perfect acting only serves to draw you closer to the characters.

I'm not sure if you're expecting heads rolling in each frame and CGI explosions to loosely tie together the plot, but we're talking about Tarantino here. He tries to make good movies, not Transformers: Revenge of Megan Fox's Cardboard Acting.

EDIT: I agree about Death Proof though. Although I would still take it over Kill Bill vol.2

Hakoshen at 4:23PM, Sept. 5, 2009
(offline)
lefarce
The dialog is a means by which tension is ramped in his films. Look at the card game, for example.

Speaking of tension, did anyone else have a shiver of dread every time the “hunter” showed up? The again, he reminds me so much of one of my sergeants in ROTC it's scary for me in a personal way.
God needed the Devil, the Beatles needed the Rolling Stones, Hakoshen needs me.
I'm the enemy he requires to define him.
Soon or later, he'll bring me back to life again for another epic encounter of shouting about power levels and grimacing.
-Harkovast
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:41PM
Dragonizer at 4:07PM, Sept. 8, 2009
(online)
Just saw this movie the other day and I have to see it's hands down the best movie I've ever seen. All of the characters were believable (and, for me, most of them likable) and the action was done perfectly. Loved the humor as well.

I must say, I don't understand why some of you are complaining about the dialogue. That's the stuff that built up the tension, and some of the scenes literally had me on the edge of my seat! They were essential to keep the scenes from becoming unrealistic or too fast-paced and, to tell the truth, some of 'em were the best parts of the movie to me. Are you all really that easily bored?
K.A.L.A.-dan! Morality Pet >:3
The end of time will be the end of guilt.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:16PM
patrickdevine at 10:23PM, Sept. 8, 2009
(online)
Hakoshen
Speaking of tension, did anyone else have a shiver of dread every time the “hunter” showed up? The again, he reminds me so much of one of my sergeants in ROTC it's scary for me in a personal way.

Not for the same reason that you did but absolutely! That guy was just so calculating and scary that you got to wonder if any sort of ruse pulled on this guy had him fooled for a moment– great quality for a scary Nazi.
I think this movie usurped Pulp Fiction as my favorite Tarantino movie. It's the little things that did it for me, like how well-written and well-acted even the minor characters were. I thought that the dialogue was the best part of the movie, then again I'm a sucker for dialogue.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:41PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved