Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Inking Pen
Walrus at 1:34PM, Feb. 18, 2009
(online)
I wanted to know the best inking pen for comics, beginners, advanced, etc. I don't use an inking pen right now, just an ultra fine Pilot pen. I really need some pen tips because my art looks worse after I ink it with my pen.

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:45PM
ShadowsMyst at 2:31PM, Feb. 18, 2009
(online)
Generally the very best inks come from a brush, not a pen. A crowquill pen gives REALLY nice lines and line width, but its kind of messy. I find some Pigma Microns work pretty decently, but its not just about the pen.

Its also about the paper.

Regular old photocopy paper isn't going to give you great lines because its too absorbent. Good inking paper is pretty smooth, with just enough absorbency to let the ink dry, but not enough to have the ink absorb into the paper.So you may consider working on an inking pad, with paper designed to take inks rather than just the old stand by of swiping paper from the school photocopiers/laser printers.

The surface and the inking pen both contribute towards perfect lines.

And then don't even get me started on proper scanning…

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:32PM
Ryuthehedgewolf at 4:02PM, Feb. 18, 2009
(offline)
Personally, I feel it's best that beginners (for inking, that is) should start out trying everything they can.

I, myself started out with ultra fine sharpies (bad idea), but when I moved to Micron pens. I thought, “Boy! This is great!” (well, didn't really say that, lol)

Now, I think differently. Microns are decent, except they run out fast, and they really aren't that worth it. Especially since it's about a half hour drive up to my local store to buy some. I only use them for detailing, but I'm looking into getting Radiographs.

If I were you, I would try a little bit of everything, see what you find comfortable.

Hunt Crow Quill #102 is popular with comic book artists.
Windsor and Newton Sable Brushes are also popular (Think it's #0)
Pigma Sakura Micron Pens
Koh-I-Noor Radiograph Pens
Brush Pens (Staedtler Mars Duo 3000 is decent. Don't buy the Pigma one though, it's terrible. Or better yet, try getting a Pentel Pocket Brush Pen)

That's all I can think of.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:16PM
lba at 4:54PM, Feb. 18, 2009
(online)
The Faber Castell Pitt india pens are pretty decent for a beginner. They'll last for a while and give pretty good lines, but they're not going to be the darkest ink ever. I suggest them because the ink is india ink but it dries rapidly enough that you won't smear it or have it bleed out on any paper you try.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:29PM
JoeL_CQB at 6:53PM, Feb. 18, 2009
(online)
Like everybody else, I'd say try everything out first.

I started with the pen and ink, I forgot what nibs they were. I then moved onto micron, brush pens, and faber castell pitt pens. I also tried inking digitally.

And now I'm on plain ball point. I don't know why but it has a quality that the other tools don't have.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:10PM
Skullbie at 7:25PM, Feb. 18, 2009
(online)
A tablet

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:47PM
angry_black_guy at 10:22AM, Feb. 19, 2009
(offline)
A tablet

They must call you the wit machine.

I really need some pen tips because my art looks worse after I ink it with my pen.

It's probably because you don't know how to ink. Inking isn't about tracing over your old lines it's about reinforcing the line art. You have to pay attention to things like line weight and depth. Basically, the darkest or closest part of an object (normally on rounded shapes) have the thickest lines while receding lines are thinner. This gives the appearance of a 3D object and unless you're trying to imitate the ligne claire style of inking it's an important thing to know.

last edited on July 14, 2011 10:53AM
NickGuy at 10:54AM, Feb. 19, 2009
(online)
Walrus
I wanted to know the best inking pen for comics, beginners, advanced, etc. I don't use an inking pen right now, just an ultra fine Pilot pen. I really need some pen tips because my art looks worse after I ink it with my pen.

are you talking about the pilot precise V7 rolling ball pens? I use those and they are fantastic.

“Kung Fu Komix IS…hardcore martial art action all the way. 8/10” -Harkovast
“Kung Fu Komix is that rare comic that is made with heart and love of the medium, and it delivers” -Zenstrive
“Kung Fu Komix is…so awesome” -threeeyeswurm
“Kung Fu Komix is..told with all the stupid exuberance of the genre it parodies” -The Real Macabre
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:15PM
Hyena H_ll at 11:04AM, Feb. 19, 2009
(online)
angry_black_guy
It's probably because you don't know how to ink. Inking isn't about tracing over your old lines it's about reinforcing the line art.
Dude, I totally just trace it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:52PM
skoolmunkee at 11:29AM, Feb. 19, 2009
(online)
Yeah, but you also do a load of other things on your pages to indicate tone and depth.
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:42PM
Walrus at 3:38PM, Feb. 19, 2009
(online)
NickGuy
Walrus

are you talking about the pilot precise V7 rolling ball pens? I use those and they are fantastic.

Yes, I use those. But with printer paper the lines come out thick.

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:45PM
Hyena H_ll at 4:26PM, Feb. 19, 2009
(online)
Walrus
Printer paper's not ideal for all types of pens. With the rolling balls, a heavier paper's probably a better bet if you're having trouble with line quality; even if it's just something cheap like a Mead tablet from K-Mart or something. I worked that way for years. Because the roller balls have a “wet” ink, sometimes light weight paper doesn't want to absorb it properly. Some kinds of ink don't want to “sit” on top of heavy pencil lines, either.

It could be that the pen's tip just isn't fine enough to get the kind of detail you want at the scale you're working at. Are you trying to draw everything on one 8.5 x 11" page, or doing a couple panels per sheet, and then patching them together once they're scanned?
angry_black_guy at 6:19PM, Feb. 19, 2009
(offline)
Hyena H_ll
angry_black_guy
It's probably because you don't know how to ink. Inking isn't about tracing over your old lines it's about reinforcing the line art.

And your lines are flat and uniform as a result. You use meticulous cross hatching for shadows and depth but if you didn't your art would look totally lifeless!

last edited on July 14, 2011 10:53AM
Hyena H_ll at 8:00PM, Feb. 19, 2009
(online)
angry_black_guy
Hyena H_ll
angry_black_guy

And your lines are flat and uniform as a result. You use meticulous cross hatching for shadows and depth but if you didn't your art would look totally lifeless!
Naw, I agree- I think that was good advice, and well-worded. I wasn't arguing for the “coloring book” approach to inking, or trying to say you were wrong. It was just one of those cases where sarcasm doesn't translate well over the internet. ;)
Ryuthehedgewolf at 8:18PM, Feb. 19, 2009
(offline)
Inking can in some cases be just tracing. But that's only in rare cases. Like in a heavily colored comic. Or maybe a really lame one (like the older versions of Ryu's Krew).

But I'm starting to learn that inking is MUCH more than that. It's about line variations, details, putting blacks in areas that need it. All that good stuff. Silhouetting too.

I need to learn more about putting blacks in for shadowing, instead of lines. Not that lines are bad, it's just it'd be cool to do the Marvel kinda way.

And if the Pilot pens are too heavy, I definitely suggest you get microns. Sure the ink doesn't last long, but the lines aren't too heavy, and you won't have to worry about being heavy handed or not.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:16PM
NickGuy at 11:47AM, Feb. 20, 2009
(online)
Walrus
NickGuy
Walrus

what do you think those first 2 sketches were done with? if your using fine, just get the extra fine. or just dont go so heavy and slow, be quicker with your strokes. dont think so much. just draw.

“Kung Fu Komix IS…hardcore martial art action all the way. 8/10” -Harkovast
“Kung Fu Komix is that rare comic that is made with heart and love of the medium, and it delivers” -Zenstrive
“Kung Fu Komix is…so awesome” -threeeyeswurm
“Kung Fu Komix is..told with all the stupid exuberance of the genre it parodies” -The Real Macabre
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:15PM
Eddie Jensen at 6:57AM, Feb. 23, 2009
(online)
Faber Castell pitt artist pens all the way I'm willing to go 1 and a half hours drive out of my way just to get those babies and I get some clean results man cleeeaaan

if I was a teapot I think I'd be orange.

http://t-k-.deviantart.com/
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:18PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved