Comic Talk and General Discussion *

insulting me?
subcultured at 7:52PM, July 23, 2006
(online)
This guy made fun of my WWCA presentation http://fourthfloorcomics.comicgenesis.com/home.htm

presentation here:
http://ryanestrada.com/wcca/ceremony/environment.htm

and actually got me laughing my ass off as he calls me an advertising whore…

..but some of the artists just had people in a room talking about awards and how if - hypothetically - such awards existed they thought that they might be given to the following list of people… What? Way to break the illusion, guys. I mean, we all know it's not a real ceremony but at least make an effort, make it fun. One strip just had some guy in a subway. It went something along these lines:

Guy takes a drink from a vending machine, remarking about how it hits the spot.

He thinks about how he's been chasing a pink ghost-monster through the subway tunnels.

He sees a TV screening the WCCA awards and realises he forgot that the WCCAs were on tonight. And the nominees are…

Piss! You forgot to turn up, guy! You were meant to give away that award but instead you got caught up chasing a pink bat. Wow, that must suck.

When I first opened that page I thought I'd clicked the wrong link and gone to a winning comic instead of the next presentation. Moments before we were in a studio audience and now… what? Stale subway air? That is something of a non-sequitir. It makes me suspect that this Jess Calcaben realised that the award presentation would be a good advertising opportunity and made a comic that continues the story of her strip in order to hook in loads of new readers who, like me, feel that the internet just doesn't have nearly enough comics about monsters. With the added bonus of a tenuous, almost coincidental link to an award of some sort.

It even said at the bottom of the strip ‘Based on a story and character from “Dreams in Synergy”’. As if that wasn't already blatantly obvious. Maybe I'm getting this all wrong. Maybe she jsut wanted to present the award in the best possible way. She took her character and her bat-monster and made a whole new strip, just for the WCCAs. And set it in a subway tunnel. I don't get it. Maybe if the bat monster had flown in with the envelope or something then I might be able to see where she was going with this. Maybe some red carpet on the floor. Anything.

and he even insulted kc's presentation..
And what about the guy who presented the award before our Jess? This weird guy who keeps morphing into different shapes is struggling to put up a poster on his wall and so decides to call each one of the ‘Outstanding New Character Design’ nominees to ask them how it's done. It's the same thing as before. Perhaps made worse by the fact that most of the time he uses the power of his mind to hold the phone.

and then he nominates himself to do one next year..
I don't care if I ever get nominated for one of these awards but I would love the opportunity to make one of these award presentation strips. Seriously, WCCA guys, if you're reading this pick me next year. I'll make it funny, I won't make it a shameless plug for the Fourth Floor site and I'll actually set it at an awards ceremony!

and then he insults me saying that I had a girl's name…
I'm, uh, I'm starting to suspect that Jess Calcaben could be a dude, judging from this (ahem) strip. Now I think about it, isn't there a male character in a US TV show or film called Jess or Jessie? Well, in that case someone should tell him he has a girl's name. In every country other than the one where you can be named after a season, it's short for Jessica. Pfft, ‘Jess’. Dude.

hahaha
well, bad publicity is good publicity, eh?
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:00PM
kyupol at 7:57PM, July 23, 2006
(online)
well… tell him to fuck off and die. :-D
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:24PM
thatreevesgirl at 8:04PM, July 23, 2006
(online)
I remember him from ComicGenesis/DrunkDuck war…yeah, he was kind of an ass.

You had a good presentation, very nice! I don't think he really knows much about webcomics…otherwise he wouldn't be calling kc “the guy…”

Doesn't know what he's talking about, ignore him.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:14PM
SpANG at 8:27PM, July 23, 2006
(online)
somebody should do a review on his review. Wait, I will. It sucks. HARD. :wink:

.: SpANG! :.
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:51PM
thatreevesgirl at 8:28PM, July 23, 2006
(online)
LOL! I'm not sure about that…

We should start a new war. I've been needing to shove more useless internet activity into my life.
SpANG at 8:28PM, July 23, 2006
(online)
equinox
thatreevesgirl
I remember him from ComicGenesis/DrunkDuck war…

Uh, CG vs DD war? Sorta like the ongoing Ytmnd vs Ebaums war?

I don't know about the ebaums/Ytmnd war, but the CG/DD war was all in good fun. :wink:

.: SpANG! :.
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:51PM
thatreevesgirl at 8:30PM, July 23, 2006
(online)
SpANG! can we start a new war? I miss those days.
subcultured at 8:45PM, July 23, 2006
(online)
well… tell him to fuck off and die.

nah, evil against evil just creates bigger evil..
unless he actually does me any harm I won't really look for retribution.
I might be easy going, but im no pussy.

I remember him from ComicGenesis/DrunkDuck war…yeah, he was kind of an ass.

You had a good presentation, very nice! I don't think he really knows much about webcomics…otherwise he wouldn't be calling kc the guy…

Doesn't know what he's talking about, ignore him.
thanks!

I didn't really find this insulting at all. Actually im kinda flattered he singled my presentation to rag on.
J
subcultured at 11:15AM, July 25, 2006
(online)
guess he was just kidding after all…
even if he was serious about it, I still got a couple of hits from his site. Thus proving that I AM an advertising whore (hey, I was in marketing before I switched majors. can't help it) hehehe :D

You guys are aware that Life on the Fourth Floor is a comedy site, right? The strip is not to be taken seriously and neither are the news posts. The purpose is merely to entertain rather than to hurt. I think I might have got my first hate mail today. The insults therein were carefully concealed but I think I genuinely hurt this guy Phil's feelings.

Jess, I don't think you have a girly name. I was just kidding. I think your picture of a ‘screaming and glowing creature’ was very good and looked nothing like a pink bat. I just said that because I wanted to sound like a tough guy. I was just kidding. I do not think that choosing your own unorthodox way of presenting an award is a travesty. The seas have yet to boil and the sky has not fallen. I was just kidding. Weird guy from Horribleville.com, whilst I may not agree with your drawing style I will defend to the death your write to draw in it. I was just kidding.
J
Chelano at 11:35AM, July 25, 2006
(online)
he said you had a girl's name huh….hmm

that is hot….

j/k hahahaha

weird article…joking or not joking
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:40AM
Hawk at 12:41PM, July 25, 2006
(online)
It's funny that he's backpeddling like that. I guess he's ticked off others.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:45PM
Comicmasta at 12:44PM, July 25, 2006
(offline)
BAHAHAHAHAHA ahem sorry i could not help myself
(Noticed you changed your avatar's stance chelano, nice)

But really all you need to do is trace his email address, you can find out his phone number, then do a search on this dudes number, i guarantee you'll find his first, middle, last name, and address. You find him, and beat him with a Stop sign.
i have been brought back….The Boanitia..grrrrr…..Must find Super Jesus!!!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:43AM
ccs1989 at 1:04PM, July 25, 2006
(online)
…Yeah..real good way to get even. Beat someone with a stop sign.
:roll:
Nah, his rant made him sound like a jerk. Plus it got you hits. So it works out!
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:37AM
VegaX at 1:13PM, July 25, 2006
(offline)
oh that guy is full of shit.
He is just trying to brush it off by saying that he was kidding. Problem is it wasn't funny at all. It was a typical rant where he was bashing someones work.

You can't insult someone in a totaly non-funny way and then saying “just kidding”. it makes you look like a total idiot.

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:39PM
Comicmasta at 1:16PM, July 25, 2006
(offline)
Yeah thats bull!! **looks around and whisles innocently**
i have been brought back….The Boanitia..grrrrr…..Must find Super Jesus!!!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:43AM
marine at 2:04PM, July 25, 2006
(offline)
Sub, you've been far too good a person to take the flames of someone on the internet (besides me), and god dammit, if you say the word, I'll be on his ass like Heath Ledger in the back room of a steel mill's disco, and trust me, I'd be killer.

Thats an aids joke. Ha ha. Aids.

Also faggots. Thats a faggots joke too.

Maybe its even a cultural american joke, since brokeback mountain was a pretty big and important shitty romantic movie.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:51PM
sandy at 8:54AM, July 26, 2006
(online)
And to think I almost joined Comic genesis. Wow, glad I didn't. That's really a low down thing to do and then write it off as just kidding. I saw your work and it's brilliant. Simply mind blowing how you've managed to incorporate such a realistic drawing style. I think the guy was envious of your talents if you ask me. :wink:
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:22PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon