Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Introducing the DD Quackcast
blindsk at 8:48AM, Dec. 14, 2010
(online)
If they end up bringing anyone onto the show, it might be cool to see people from the featured comics for that week. They could call them into the show part-way through and have them talk a little about their plans with the comic or different aspects about it (like a mini interview). Personally, that's what I wouldn't mind hearing! Otherwise, Skool and ozone do a great job of covering everything, so having another co-host each time might make it too “cluttered.”

The tricky part will be figuring out a time where everyone will be available to call during the recording of the show.

last edited on July 14, 2011 11:25AM
skoolmunkee at 1:09PM, Dec. 14, 2010
(offline)
Yeah, to be honest I haven't thought far enough ahead to wonder who we'd want to have on. There's some good ideas in this thread and I don't want to respond too specifically to most of them and look like I'm dismissing them or promising to do them or anything. :] It's just interesting to see what you guys would like to hear. I'm sure if enough people want something we can work around practical difficulties.
IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:44PM
Genejoke at 6:13AM, Dec. 15, 2010
(online)
Someone
The tricky part will be figuring out a time where everyone will be available to call during the recording of the show.

oh god yeah. Been having trouble trying to organise a skype call with another artist about a project we are working on together, only four or five hours difference but between work and children it has been really awkward for us both.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:33PM
Ozoneocean at 9:56PM, Dec. 15, 2010
(online)
We're doing another one tonight!
Anything you think we should mention?
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:37PM
Ozoneocean at 2:45AM, Dec. 18, 2010
(online)
No suggestions?

You oinks!!!!!!!!! You left us hangin….

Like I left Skool hanging at the start of our latest Quackcast, due out on Tuesday, hahahahaha!

That was so funny… I just blanked. ^_^
skoolmunkee at 11:13AM, Dec. 18, 2010
(offline)
I need to prepare a little more I think, you can tell when I haven't figured out exactly what I'm going to say about a feature. :[ I feel like I'm letting them down!

The next podcast is over 30 minutes long… Oz, you and I are gonna have to try to rein ourselves in! Or just be more concise. Can we meet the challenge?!

You guys had better leave suggestions for next week, or else no one gets a special mention. Nobodyyyyyyyyy
IT'S OLD BATMAN
Nergal at 11:57AM, Dec. 18, 2010
(online)
Talk about my hidden picture challenge which is happening every week!

As for other suggestions:
- Fun facts
- Fun admin stories
- Fun tutorials (I honestly never knew that section existed until recently)
- Fun foods to eat while visiting drunkduck

I'm enjoying the podcasts so far btw. Ya'll got nice voices.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:12PM
I Am The 1337 Master at 12:18PM, Dec. 18, 2010
(offline)
You should do a bit about me and my song.

Just play it for ten seconds, make everyone giggle.

Or just talk about 1337 the whole show.

I know! We can change the name!

“1337 and Pals”

Yeah Let's do that.

:D
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:55PM
Genejoke at 3:12AM, Dec. 19, 2010
(online)
One idea for it, go to browse comics and select updated today and randomly choose one comic each to talk about the latest update and maybe more if it takes your fancy.
Ozoneocean at 5:45AM, Dec. 19, 2010
(online)
skoolmunkee
Can we meet the challenge?!
Nope :(

Nergal
http://www.drunkduck.com/community/view_topic.php?tid=54336
“I'm looking at this and it's like this…. and… stuff”
“Oh really? Wow, that's nice. Mine is this and this and stuff, sort of like, you know? But not that.”
“Yeah, ok…”

lol!

Might try it…
darthfurby at 5:58AM, Dec. 19, 2010
(online)
I listen to the podcast while I'm drawing, so my suggestion would be to make them longer, an hour or more at least. Also I'd like to hear more about the process of making web comics, art vs writing etc, in addition to expanding the reviews portion to include more comics per cast. Maybe consider adding another person to the cast? Someone who has strong contrasting viewpoints to the other two. Maybe a bad boy on the cast who won't be afraid to trash a comic if it's bad. Aside from that, great job guys, really enjoying the podcast.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:08PM
DarkGesen at 12:28PM, Dec. 19, 2010
(online)
This may sound weird, but the podcast is kinda inspiring.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:07PM
Baconmoose at 8:43PM, Dec. 19, 2010
(online)
ozoneocean
Genejoke
One idea for it, go to browse comics and select updated today and randomly choose one comic each to talk about the latest update and maybe more if it takes your fancy.
We do that all the time, just don't record it, hahaha!
I think we DID record it for the first few tests, gets a bit dull though without a structure;
“Oh really? Wow, that's nice. Mine is this and this and stuff, sort of like, you know? But not that.”
“Yeah, ok…”

lol!

Might try it…

This literally made me ell oh ell for some reason. That's how I feel when like, someone shows me their art and asks me what I think and it's like, sometimes I'm not sure what kind of opinion I'm supposed to have, so I just pretty much do that. XD

Anyway. I dunno, you guys have been doing pretty good on your casts. I do think it'd be nice to get some more peeps on it, maybe do your interviews on it like someone else said. I dunno, I have no further suggestions. The only time I was ever on a podcast I was just like “Hi I'm a webcomic artist! I used to do this one comic but then my partner went crazy and started stalking me and I started taking antidepressants and then I quit doing it! I like movies.”
And then it gets awkward.
War of the Dawgs 8P
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:15AM
Ozoneocean at 9:37PM, Dec. 19, 2010
(online)
Good suggestions Darth!
darthfurby
Maybe consider adding another person to the cast? Someone who has strong contrasting viewpoints to the other two. Maybe a bad boy on the cast who won't be afraid to trash a comic if it's bad.
I dunno, that'd tend to go against the DD vibe in general. And since we only talk about featured comics that we think of a great examples of comic work in the first place… Trashing them would undermine the feature concept. Although, neither of us are afraid to point out things we don't like about features or that we think need improvement, we're just pretty nice about it. :)
DarkGesen
This may sound weird, but the podcast is kinda inspiring.
That is an amazing compliment!
Baconmoose
ozoneocean
“Yeah, ok…”
This literally made me ell oh ell for some reason. That's how I feel when like, someone shows me their art and asks me what I think and it's like, sometimes I'm not sure what kind of opinion I'm supposed to have, so I just pretty much do that. XD
Hahaha!

And now I know why you quit your earlier stuff ^_^

We're mulling over interviews. Probably limit it to community project leaders for now, because that would give them extra exposure to get people to join their things.
skoolmunkee at 12:52AM, Dec. 20, 2010
(offline)
I thought I'd mention this here now, we do in the podcast but that doesn't come out til Tuesday and we record the next one on Thursday, so it's not much time for replies.

We are mentioning some community members who have run community projects over the year, and we covered a number of them but not all. We're sure there are some we never heard much about, or are just forgetting for some reason. So we need you guys to remind us/sugest things. :]

We did already mention: the mods, DD Awards, Voice contest, Mafia, 24 Hours, and secret santa.

We are kinda looking for ones which are truly open to just about anybody and are fairly participatory, so I don't think that the ‘a couple of creators get together and make a collective comic’ stuff like Crossoverlord is quite the same. Fightsplosion we'll mention though because even if someone doesn't make the initial call for fighters, there are still support activities etc. which go on.

Sooooooo let us know if you have any suggestions!
IT'S OLD BATMAN
Baconmoose at 8:14AM, Dec. 20, 2010
(online)
ozoneocean
darthfurby
Maybe consider adding another person to the cast? Someone who has strong contrasting viewpoints to the other two. Maybe a bad boy on the cast who won't be afraid to trash a comic if it's bad.
I dunno, that'd tend to go against the DD vibe in general. And since we only talk about featured comics that we think of a great examples of comic work in the first place… Trashing them would undermine the feature concept. Although, neither of us are afraid to point out things we don't like about features or that we think need improvement, we're just pretty nice about it. :)

You guys really do throw in your criticism pleasantly. I love that you can do that so well, personally. Maybe instead of trashing DD comics you could trash famous comics, I dunno. X3

ozoneocean
And now I know why you quit your earlier stuff ^_^

Hah, yeah, oops. That whole shenanigan took me down for like almost three or four freaking years. (I forget when I really officially stopped or started again)
However, I'd never been able to draw comics as fast as I am now, so I'm glad it's all over and my massive Cthulhu-sized artist block is gone.

You guys should relate some periods you had artist block on your podcast! o3o
(Just throwing random things out.)
War of the Dawgs 8P
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:15AM
Ozoneocean at 6:43PM, Dec. 21, 2010
(online)
Groovy ideas again ^_^

Aaaaand now we have our latest podcast up again! Go listen!
DarkGesen at 3:09AM, Dec. 22, 2010
(online)
Listening to ep 8.
So the most common features are fantasy and/or adventure?
B)
Genejoke at 5:13AM, Dec. 22, 2010
(online)
It would be hilarious if you featured death p0rn and discussed that, I can just imagine you trying to explain it cleanly.
ayesinback at 6:46AM, Dec. 22, 2010
(online)
Just listened to episode 8 ( :) shucks), and really enjoyed your conversation juxtaposing the two features. Had to laugh because I had a very similar experience to skoolmunkee's when I discovered Wood Nymph (saw it on recently updated; imagined carefully positioned leaves . . . checked it out anyway, and loved it).

As far as suggestions, I like it as it is (even when texture is said 20X - I like that it doesn't sound rehearsed). And I like many of the ideas already mentioned, but maybe as one-time bits rather than standard additions. For instance, if JustNoPoint organizes the next awards and welcomes the idea, maybe try to have him on as the awards are gearing up, so we can hear about some of the behind the scene action, and maybe see a way to participate as needed.

One standard addition I'd like is if you'd mention what day it is that you're taping (in addition to the weather). Since these are delayed, and since people might not listen to a cast right away, a time reference might be interesting, if not useful.

Anyway, thanks for this new toy. eeess berry nice.

You TOO can be (multiple choice)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:14AM
Genejoke at 12:06PM, Dec. 23, 2010
(online)
I had an idea. reviews.

Now both reviewing comics may not be an option but picking one of the reviewed comics from the review section and quoting a few bits from the various reviews and maybe a little of your own feedback on them. It will draw attention to the rather quiet review section and maybe encourage more activity there.
skoolmunkee at 12:21PM, Dec. 23, 2010
(offline)
That's funny, that subject came up in the one we just recorded, and now I check this thread and here it is. :]

We did mention the comic review forum and how it's great and people should pay it more attention. We also talked a little about how I at least am not comfortable reviewing comics since it's a bit weird as an admin.

But drawing some quotes from it and stuff, that's great!
IT'S OLD BATMAN
Salsa at 2:01PM, Dec. 28, 2010
(offline)
Hello. I was wondering if you would be able to mention something about the DD Mafia's second birthday coming up on the 21st?

Also It's a little odd to hear your own name mentioned when it comes to community involvement. 0_o
RAGE!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:19PM
DarkGesen at 10:52AM, Dec. 29, 2010
(online)
Listened to ep #9 last night… So, we find out Ozone's personal views on Google XD, that the podcast has approximately 5 loyal fans - had to lol at that, as well as different ways of making comics. I have to say, Ozone, you've got an incredibly long way of updating with all that creating layers etc. anyway, as one of the 5 said fans, I enjoyed it and can't wait for next weeks!
I Am The 1337 Master at 11:39AM, Dec. 29, 2010
(offline)
ozoneocean
I Am The 1337 Master
You should do a bit about me and my song.
Maaaaaaaaybe…
Maybe means yes.
But it also means no.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:55PM
Niccea at 2:50PM, Dec. 29, 2010
(offline)
I guess I'm one of the five. I've been skipping around the podcasts. I haven't listened to your sections about the features yet.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:15PM
darthfurby at 5:16PM, Dec. 29, 2010
(online)
Well I hope the trend towards longer and longer podcasts continues. I understand the reluctance for sharing critiques/reviews, and didn't quite realize the extra baggage that comes with being an admin in that situation. Still, I feel the educational/entertainment value of critiques would really spice up the podcast, tho without it I still enjoyed listening anyway. As for a possible topic in the next episode, maybe what are the most important factors that help make a comic popular on drunk duck: quality, frequency of updates, forum participation, etc.

Great podcast guys, you both sound much more comfortable and relaxed with each episode.

Again, longer podcasts = good!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:08PM
skoolmunkee at 1:58AM, Dec. 30, 2010
(offline)
Salsa- sure!

Darthfurby, that's a good topic. I think we'll be able to do something like that. :]
IT'S OLD BATMAN
Salsa at 2:09PM, Dec. 30, 2010
(offline)
skoolmunkee
Salsa- sure!

Darthfurby, that's a good topic. I think we'll be able to do something like that. :]

Thanks, and I agree about critique thing. It would be a good idea.
RAGE!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:19PM
skoolmunkee at 3:27PM, Dec. 30, 2010
(offline)
I think the one we recorded today ended up about 45 minutes. We're tending to talk longer about the features, and are perhaps getting a little more critiquey of them. I also kinda feel like we're rambling a little sometimes. :I I guess that's okay, we're still getting used to these and what to talk about and how we pace against each other. I've just had a worry in the back of my mind from the beginning that the podcasts would end up being long rambly boring things and have felt like I need to make sure they keep moving along.

I'm comfortable making some casual comments about comics, but I'm not sure if I'd ever really be comfortable doing more intentional/focused critique… both because that kind of thing can be time consuming and difficult, and also because I don't think I want to be known as a “comic reviewer.” For some reason I'm just averse to that. Maybe because I don't consider myself an expert or all that knowledgable about comics and comic techniques really and would feel pretty pretentious evaluating other people's efforts on a platform as ‘big’ as the podcast.

Then again, before we started these we were worried about how we would EVER fill up 10-15 minutes. Now they're like 45 minutes and take up to 3 hours of my week. :]

We are working on setting up our first interview but it might take a week or two before it airs!

Thanks for all the feedback so far, it's useful to have and we've been trying to respond to it. We're operating in a bit of a vacuum really, doing stuff we hope works, so hearing if it does or doesn't is good. We want the podcasts to be something people will listen to, so it's important we know what that is. :]
IT'S OLD BATMAN

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon