Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Introducing the DD Quackcast
Red Slayer at 8:14PM, Jan. 11, 2011
(online)
Amelius
Haha, my heart's bursting outta my chest I'm so nervous, I hope youse all enjoy the show! We had a lot to say, and we probably could have gone on and on and on… oh proper elocution, why must you evade me so? Blast my stuttering! I always think of a better way to have stated something long after the fact! I'm such a geek, haha!

But it was fun, Oz and Skoolmunkee are super nice and I look forward to the interviews with other DD members!

It was fun to listen.
I had more to post but I got distracted by a something.

Someone
I wonder who will be next…
Your wife and children!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:03PM
DarkGesen at 1:23AM, Jan. 12, 2011
(online)
Ozone was the only on who didn't have an irritating-yet-tolerable echo. Some interesting stuff here, guys. I'm guessing by the way part 1 ended part 2 will pick up on where it left off?
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:07PM
skoolmunkee at 8:35AM, Jan. 12, 2011
(offline)
DarkGesen
Ozone was the only on who didn't have an irritating-yet-tolerable echo. Some interesting stuff here, guys. I'm guessing by the way part 1 ended part 2 will pick up on where it left off?

Apparently Oz's was actually the worst but turned out better because Kinh deliberately edited all the bits where he wasn't actively speaking. :]

Mine has something to do with using a headset, apparently. IIRC from my a/v tech days I might be able to try a noise gate, if audacity has that, if it's coming from the mic somehow. Or I could try using a separate pair of earphones (but still the headset's mic) to see if that fixes it. For some reason the PC picks up slight information from the headphones even though I set it to use the mic input. It doesn't make sense to me.

I'll have to bug some people to send me writeups of their community projects, I don't think I'd be able to explain some of them properly. Or maybe people want to record themselves talking about it a bit, and we can insert those. :]
IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:44PM
harkovast at 1:17PM, Jan. 12, 2011
(online)
I liked the idea of doing interviews, you should do more of those.

For more Harkovast related goings on, go to the Harkovast Forum
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:45PM
DarkGesen at 1:26AM, Jan. 13, 2011
(online)
skoolmunkee
I'll have to bug some people to send me writeups of their community projects, I don't think I'd be able to explain some of them properly. Or maybe people want to record themselves talking about it a bit, and we can insert those. :]
If you introduce them, and they begin their recording as though they've been introduced , i.e “Over to X who is going to talk about Y” “Thanks,…”
you can maintain the illusion that it's all going on at the same time, if you see what I mean.

IS part 2 coming out same time next week?
Ozoneocean at 6:38AM, Jan. 13, 2011
(online)
skoolmunkee
Apparently Oz's was actually the worst but turned out better because Kinh deliberately edited all the bits where he wasn't actively speaking. :]
Some of the nasty echoes there are prolly STILL from me because many happen when I'm talking over the top of someone- so it's got them speaking from their track, me speaking from MY track and them also speaking from my track all at the same time. Kinh wouldn't have been able to edit those out because all he's got is a simple linear editing system.
DarkGesen
IS part 2 coming out same time next week?
Yes!
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:37PM
DarkGesen at 10:01AM, Jan. 13, 2011
(online)
So if that's the case, when do this week's features get mentioned?
Ozoneocean at 10:31AM, Jan. 13, 2011
(online)
Week after next week. We'll have a double feature special to catch up.
Genejoke at 12:13PM, Jan. 18, 2011
(online)
Listening to the new one, pretty funny. EENicks writing input was interesting, similar to what I try and do.
Very informative and the sound seems much better than the last one.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:33PM
DarkGesen at 7:27AM, Jan. 22, 2011
(online)
Interesting, how the pronunciation of Dr Seuss' name came up in the QuackCast. I heard that it's pronounced “Sice” so as to rhyme with “dice”… so I think you're ALL wrong(!!)

Also interesting is that the veterans get the same problems as us… non-veterans, particularly when Amelius was saying about getting ideas for the future, and not wanting to just speed right through to it.

Was someone playing around with a hollow tube or plastic bottle around 20 minutes into the podcast?!
Amelius at 12:54PM, Jan. 22, 2011
(offline)
@Genejoke: I'm glad you found it humorous! I'm sure Nick will be happy to know that his advice was interesting too! :D Thanks for listening!

@DarkGesen: Haha, that probably was Nick, he was in the other room and probably didn't realize it was picking up the water bottle he had. I was afraid to leave the interview and tell him ! (could be the 3 cats too, they were making a lot of noises I could hear over his mic as well)

Regarding Dr. Seuss however, I think this poem by a friend of his should prove enlightening!
You’re wrong as the deuce
And you shouldn’t rejoice
If you’re calling him Seuss.
He pronounces it Soice

He did change it to rhyme with “goose” later on since there was no convincing people it was otherwise. :D
Where did you hear it's rhymed with dice, out of curiosity? :)
At least it didn't sound like “souse”! (that's basically an older term for “drunkard”!) lol!

last edited on July 14, 2011 10:52AM
DarkGesen at 2:39PM, Jan. 22, 2011
(online)
Amelius
Where did you hear it's rhymed with dice, out of curiosity? :)

I read it in a magazine a long time ago. I can't remember what magazine, but I remember from that moment on I made sure I would to correct every time I heard it mispronounced. (Don't ask why, guess I admire his writing style and don't like hearing his name pronounced incorrectly). But if what you say is true, (I don't doubt you or anything) I'm just as wrong as everyone else?! Damn!! I will change my ways immediately.

Funny how an interview in a podcast leads to the discussion about the pronunciation of the name or Dr. Seu-“Soice” ,eh?

(By the way, great Podcast, guys, I wasn't sure how you would top last weeks, or the week before's but you've done it again.)

Re: Ep 12
I found what you had too say about mirroring very interesting (though that was the main point of the podcast)
I've been considering mirroring for a while, and while it's great that you provide a balanced opinions on these things I'm still unsure about if I should or not… (but I'm just an indecisive person).
Will we ever learn about Ozone's past how he became an admin?
You guys should/could talk about the store and publishing work(?).
Oh my. Literally LOL'ed when Ozone said “I think we talked this one to death”. Nah, there was plenty of info in this episode.
Geez… Speaking of talking something to death…
Ozoneocean at 7:59AM, Jan. 25, 2011
(online)
DarkGesen
Oh my. Literally LOL'ed when Ozone said “I think we talked this one to death”. Nah, there was plenty of info in this episode.
Geez… Speaking of talking something to death…
Ha! Naw, we really love and appreciate your feedback man!
Wish there were more like you and Genejoke in here :)

Yup:

QUACKCAST 12 IS OUT!

skoolmunkee at 9:17AM, Jan. 25, 2011
(offline)
DarkGesen you are fast. :lol:

Yeah, I think this one came out a bit unstructured and I felt like I was being a bit negative about comic hosting. It sounded okay when I listened back to it though… except when I realized I had been constantly talking over Oz like a jerk.

The next few should be pretty good! We are doing more advanced planning, haha. :]
IT'S OLD BATMAN
JillyFoo at 4:05AM, Jan. 26, 2011
(online)
Hey guys! Just popped by to say I love the new quackcast!

I really love listening to webcomic podcasts while I draw, so it's great to add a new one to the list. I also look forward to more interviews of well known DD people. :)

If you need any help or have questions about doing podcasts I know Fes from the Webcomic Beacon and can get you in touch with him or ask questions for ya.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:08PM
Genejoke at 6:48AM, Jan. 26, 2011
(online)
It was a good one, been thinking about the site thing. Before coming to DD I ideally wanted to host it myself, man that would have been a pain in the ass. As for the professionalism… or snobbery… well maybe but as long as people can navigate a site easily and do the things they expect to be able to do I doubt it is an issue for 90% of potential readers.

But yeah I thought skoolmunkee sounded fairly anti hosting site at first but once she went more in detail it sounded fine.

Ozoneocean at 7:44AM, Jan. 26, 2011
(online)
Thanks for the continuing feedback guys! ^_^

@ Genejoke-
Skool is the bad one. Ozone is always the good one :)

@ Jillyfoo0 thanks Jilly! I wouldn't know what questions to ask… But Skool might.
As well as being the evil one, Skool is also the smart one.
Salsa at 12:45PM, Jan. 26, 2011
(offline)
Thanks for mentioning the list. I hope that it continues to grow and if it helps one person it's been worth the upkeep (admittedly it's not that hard)

There is a need for tutorials on actually making art. I need to get a hold of some, but I'd really like to see others involved as well.

Again, thanks for mention in the last podcast.
RAGE!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:19PM
DarkGesen at 4:03AM, Feb. 1, 2011
(online)
13 episodes in, maybe it's time to take “Introducing” out of this thread title? XD
(13 episodes, 14 separate podcasts)
You guys are hilarious about to reveal the plot to Magellan.
Fear the Wrath of Skoolmonkee!
“Everybody knows you're the evil one!”
Classic Ozone comedy.
What was that crickets sound? That was really weird (and random XD)
I despise fillers. I try not to put fillers up, especially ones that provide information about characters like personalities and stuff. For stuff like that you should show, not tell in my opinion.
The only fillers I've ever done were a family tree (because I introduced a group of characters at once and deliberately haven't canonically introduced yet) and a (back when i was trying to do a chapter at a time) “next chapter” page at the end of the chapter, however these do disrupt the flow, so when I go over my archives I'll remove them.
Ozone's like me, always cracking jokes and laughing at them XD
Another great podcast. You guys are on a roll.
Once again I've talked a lot, so I'll leave the fan art to someone else. :P

Ozoneocean at 2:45AM, Feb. 2, 2011
(online)
“Classic Ozone comedy”? Haha, now I like that! ^_^

Skool and I jam through a lot of webcomics all in one go due to our featuring duties so stuff like filler is annoying when you do that, especially if it's in the middle of a story (not near a chapter end or start), the breaks the flow.
It's worse though for a reader when you update with filler in your normal update schedule because they can't just click over to the next page- they waited for an update and that got a fake update instead, and now they have to wait more to see if they get a real update next time or just more filler again.

I almost labelled this as Quackcast 14 in all my external blog posts. :)
We're doing another on tomorrow ^^
DarkGesen at 5:33AM, Feb. 2, 2011
(online)
Fingers crossed for more Classic Ozone comedy!
BffSatan at 5:12PM, Feb. 2, 2011
(online)
Dear Skoolmunkee,

From, BffSatan
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:21AM
darthfurby at 6:26PM, Feb. 2, 2011
(online)
Thumbs up on episode 13, there's a really nice flow emerging in the cast, tho I'd like to hear more thoughts in the features section about what you both liked and didn't like, perhaps talk about why you had a reaction to a specific moment or panel or art style. The advice section of the podcast = awesome. Don't like filler, I think too much fan art is bad for my creative health, tho fan art once in awhile can be a lot of fun, and I listen in on other people's conversations to break out of writer's block. I don't think I've ever had artist's block, more like artist fatigue/laziness, and frankly never really figured out a way to break out of that consistently.

Great show, hope you guys keep it going for many many more episodes.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:08PM
Genejoke at 10:38AM, Feb. 3, 2011
(online)
Someone
more like artist fatigue/laziness, and frankly never really figured out a way to break out of that consistently.

Isn't that just a form of creative block? It's easy to break that, just spank yourself.

Okay maybe not.

I often divert my energies elsewhere and find the answer/inspiration/whatever presents itself, sometimes in dream. Sometimes I just need a little break.

As for filler… depands on the filler but ozones comment about the placement and moving it after is something I agree with. A little filler between chapters is fine in my opinion and is where I place it, well either that or delete it.
xmung at 8:22PM, Feb. 5, 2011
(online)
Hey thanks for the nice things you said about Magellan in your recent quackcast… it's always a nice ego boost to hear people talking about my stuff. :D

To answer a few of the questions you raised…
- yes, xmung is pronounced “ex”mung (it doesn't mean anything, although there is a long boring story behind it)
- yep, I'm a dude (or to use the Aussie parlance, ‘bloke’ )
- yeah, I'm an Aussie!
- the lack of cast page is one of my greatest shames… I am working on a very thorough one though, hopefully very, very soon…!

Also Magellan is in one of your other recent features - Crossoverkill!

Cheers!
Magellan - superhero cadets, their worst enemy is themselves!
Crossoverkill - prepare to crossover… to the other-side!
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:52PM
Ozoneocean at 9:46PM, Feb. 5, 2011
(online)
Zmung is my preference ^_^

New cast coming out on this Tuesday!
skoolmunkee at 2:18AM, Feb. 6, 2011
(offline)
So that is a goanna! Its skin looks all loose…
IT'S OLD BATMAN
Ozoneocean at 3:13AM, Feb. 8, 2011
(online)
Goannas a very big monitor lizards like Komodo Dragons, except they're much nicer looking because they have longer necks ^_^
Komodo Dragons have shorter necks and those look a bit… like foreskin. -_-
-They're not nearly as massive as Komodos though. Those things are unbelievably huge… But a big goanna can get as long as two meters.

———————

Quackcast 14 is OUT!
And this week we have another guest star- VegaX! He's king of the comic review forum.
Genejoke at 3:29AM, Feb. 8, 2011
(online)
now one up, the review thing was interesting. Especially stuff about getting educated by other people comic's review.

Also with people “getting” a comic, I agree with both of you. There is a difference between understanding something and seeing anything to appreciate about it.

In a recent review someone said how much they dislike the main character in Underbelly and it felt really negative on first reading but it summed him up near perfectly. In another someone mentioned the pixelization of the speech balloons which is something I had been thinking to improve but always fell to the back burner. that brought it to the fore again and have since remedied it. The reviews have lead me to improve, so all good. They do sting sometimes though.

Pinky TA review… I read a review on another site ages ago and they tore it apart but I honestly can't remember where it was.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:34PM
DarkGesen at 4:23AM, Feb. 8, 2011
(online)
Damn… wasn't the first to comment this week.
I guess I'm one of those people who takes critisms to heart and would re-do older pages.
I say that because I'm doing it now(!) For a number of reasons, though.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon