Debate and Discussion

Is "getting killed" the same thing as "dying naturally"?
simonitro at 9:15AM, Jan. 16, 2008
(online)
It might sound silly to ask but here goes… I've been asking myself this question for awhile. I mean, it's two ways that leads to death but do you think by getting killed the same thing as dying naturally. People might say that God takes away when you die and he has the right to take someone's life, but when you're killed you're still going straight to God (if you believe in God, that is, like I do).

Killing is bad however you look at it. It's such wicked thing to take someone's life even if he deserves it. So, what do you think about this subject?

Enjoy… Las Vegas-y
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:37PM
pinkertonpark at 9:29AM, Jan. 16, 2008
(offline)
“…even if they deserve it.” LOL
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:44PM
StaceyMontgomery at 9:36AM, Jan. 16, 2008
(offline)
For the person who dies, it would seem to be about the same.

For that person's community, it is not the same, because someone has killed, and that's the sort of thing you want to look into.

Although, I should say, there are cultures/religions that would say that it does make a difference to the person who dies. In some cultures, for instance, a person who is killed may not go “straight to god” but might be caught in this world a ghost with “unfinished business.”

This has been a fairly common belief throughout human history, but it seems to have fallen somewhat out of favor recently, and is not brought up a lot in a lot of the big modern religions.

For many people, it would also make a difference in matters of forgiveness. I believe it was Simon Wiesenthal who said “for what you do to me, I can and must forgive you. For what you do to others, only they can forgive you. If you killed them, there is no one who can forgive you”

(not a direct quote, alas, I heard much too long ago, and my google-fu is weak today)
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:55PM
Phantom Penguin at 9:40AM, Jan. 16, 2008
(offline)
In some places on earth getting killed is more normal then dying a old man.
I imagine getting shot and bleeding out would be just a tad bit worse then say, dying in your sleep.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:42PM
Hawk at 10:27AM, Jan. 16, 2008
(online)
Well, not taking alfterlife beliefs into account, I would definitely say there's a difference between a natural death and being killed. With the natural death people generally get some time to settle a lot of their affairs and try to make closure to their life. Not just them, but their loved ones. It's just better on everyone. But getting killed cheats you out of that time. Even if you don't believe in an afterlife, and a person were to just cease to exist upon death, getting killed cheats that person's loved ones out of the time they would have had with the victim.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
Chernobog at 1:17PM, Jan. 16, 2008
(offline)
I was witness to the murder of a family friend about ten years ago. It left me feeling a lot of things. Angry, disappointed in myself, and so on.

Later, when I would speak to my mother about it, both she and the victim's sister said ‘it was his time’. I hated hearing that. This guy literally got stabbed in the back with a knife through his lung by his girlfriend. Everyone was watching from the shadows of their porches. No one did anything. I was the first to go examine him on the ground, wondering if he had fallen down drunk after the fight. Only then did I realize what exactly had happened. With the moon at my back, I was the last thing he saw on this world while he was making unearthly dog noises, which was him choking to death internally on the blood filling up in his lungs.

This past year, I began practicing with motorcycle riding. My mother did not and does not approve, citing the danger. And so I told her if I crash and die?
“It's just my time then, isn't it?”
:mad:

“You tell yourself to just
enjoy the process,” he added. “That whether you succeed or fail, win or
lose, it will be fine. You pretend to be Zen. You adopt detachment, and
ironic humor, while secretly praying for a miracle.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:41AM
Aurora Moon at 2:28PM, Jan. 16, 2008
(offline)
Hawk
Well, not taking afterlife beliefs into account, I would definitely say there's a difference between a natural death and being killed. With the natural death people generally get some time to settle a lot of their affairs and try to make closure to their life. Not just them, but their loved ones. It's just better on everyone. But getting killed cheats you out of that time. Even if you don't believe in an afterlife, and a person were to just cease to exist upon death, getting killed cheats that person's loved ones out of the time they would have had with the victim.

I agree with this wholeheartedly.

Although, some forms of natural deaths can also cheat you out of that “time”, if you think about it. Take heart attacks for instance. That can happen to anybody at any age, regardless of what you believe. True, heart attacks seem to happen to middle-aged adults more. But there's been cases of heart attacks happening to children and teenagers too as well.
And sometimes heart attacks can take away those people's lives suddenly before they can do anything about it. And if a heart attack was to take the life of a 8-year-old… I imagine that the family would feel cheated out of the time that they were supposed to have together. Not even a chance to say good bye.

But I imagine the family might feel even more worse if that same child was to die at the hands of somebody rather than dying naturally. Because the family would feel that they had the ability to prevent it more than they could prevent something that was occurring “naturally” inside their child's body.

Dying at the hands of a murderer, people generally suffer more than they would if they died naturally. That's just my 50 cents on it.
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:10AM
Aussie_kid at 7:18PM, Jan. 17, 2008
(online)
Well, my view is getting killed is not the same thing, as there is someone to blame. If the killer had not performed his heinous act, then the victim would still be with us. That is why we punish people for murder (Except in the case of self defence).

Now let's take a look at natural death. No one is to blame, except maybe the person who died themselves, if they got a heart attack from bad health habits. But, if someone dies of disease or say a stroke or something, it means that their body had reached its end and it was time for the person's life to end. And if the person was sick, it's a relief as the suffering has ended and they are finally at peace.

As I see it, it's easier to find closure in a natural death, rather than trying to find out why someone felt the need to take the life of a loved one
Insanity Complex: We may not be insane, but we like to think we are
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:11AM
lothar at 12:54AM, Jan. 19, 2008
(online)
well , in a way they are the same thing . you could say that the person was “killed” by nature (or god, if you're into that kinda thing)
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:45PM
bobhhh at 2:09AM, Jan. 19, 2008
(offline)
Death is death. It's never welcome. I lost my best friend, my dog willie, to cancer at 5 years old. He died of natural causes, he wasn't killed, but i still miss him and he's still dead.

The best thing about death is not having it happen to you too soon, but when it happens it sucks just as bad no matter how it is administered by fate.
My name is Bob and I approved this signature.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:29AM
Poke Alster at 2:12AM, Feb. 2, 2008
(offline)
Natural death is all part of life
getting killed is something that shouldnt be around but is.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:46PM
fazz33 at 9:33PM, Feb. 2, 2008
(offline)
The question really is relys too much on possible veiws you could take on it. For example in this senerio we are openly talking about this and for the most part we say its different. But for a person whos experiencing a loss (like the poster above), the 2 views don't matter as much or at all, also stated is the view point of some religious people in that god has taken them.

Anyways the point I'm trying to get at is that this comparision will hold for now but theres going to be a time when you don't care if its one or the other, all you know is that the person or animal use to be alive, but now it isnt.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:25PM
UltimaXG2 at 9:14PM, Feb. 4, 2008
(offline)
Either way, you're dead… Anywho… From a legal standpoint they're different. In my eyes… You're still dead…
Comics:
Beyond the Deep End
Mysterious Transfer Student
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:36PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved