(online)
what? hip hop isn't dead. thanks to k-Fed
he's got some skills that kills
http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/oQ4SLkj0k7U
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:01PM
Alexis at 11:24PM, Jan. 29, 2007
(offline)
The radio displeases Alexis. Frequently.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:49AM
mechanical_lullaby at 8:22AM, Jan. 30, 2007
(online)
*cries* I miss Run DMC soooo much.
It's not just hip-hop anyway.
Music in general has run out of creativity.
There are gems in old music. New stuff is getting progressively worse because people are trying to experiment within an airtight boundary. It just… doesn't … work.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:56PM
LIZARD_B1TE at 3:46PM, Jan. 30, 2007
(online)
All this is exactly why I've taken to listening to videogame music. For the time being, those songs are unnoticed by the media. :) Stuff like “You're not Alone” from FF9 and “Calling to the Night” from MGS: PO. It's a great multi-genre group of music that no one seems to care about.

I'm also a fan of Bluegrass, but that's more of a family thing than my own thing.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:36PM
Glarg at 5:18PM, Jan. 30, 2007
(offline)
LIZARD_B1TE
I'm also a fan of Bluegrass, but that's more of a family thing than my own thing.

Ever heard of Charlie Daniels?

The devil went down to Georgia.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:36PM
Priceman at 5:51PM, Jan. 30, 2007
(online)
Sorry to say Rev….i absolutely agree. Every song on the radio is either: How much i have, how much you don't, How many girls i bang, or How bad i am. And for women it's usually the same, except for the additional bonus of “I super hot, I'll do things to you that other women won't, and Why don't you just stare at me and masterbate. It's pathetic.

I remember back in the days when hip hop used to have a message. Like 2 Shorts ”while the getting is good" (not sure if that's the song title though). Or even Tupac and Biggie, though they used to kick the how bad i am stuff too, they at least to speak positively and inform on other issues. Hip Hop today is pretty much a joke, i'm sad to say.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:47PM
ccs1989 at 2:59PM, May 19, 2007
(online)
Hey guys, hip-hop isn't dead. Check out Jurassic 5. Their latest album came out in 2006.
Unfortunately I think they're going their seperate ways this year. However with more guys like that I think could actually be a comeback of the genre. I mean, I really disliked hip-hop and rap up until I heard them, but now I'm a fan of what it's capable of, although I still don't like a lot of what other guys are making.

If you want a good Jurassic 5 song, download “Sum of Us” from their album “Power in Numbers”.
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:38AM
oh_comic at 3:32PM, May 19, 2007
(offline)
mechanical_lullaby
*cries* I miss Run DMC soooo much.
It's not just hip-hop anyway.
Music in general has run out of creativity.
There are gems in old music. New stuff is getting progressively worse because people are trying to experiment within an airtight boundary. It just… doesn't … work.

I completely agree. Hip Hop has a heck of a lot wrong with it's current state, mostly because it follows the guidelines that Priceman stated. Men talk about their bling and their crew and how great or “down” they are, women talk about how much they want to do to you and how hot they are.

It's shameful that I prefer a lot of ProTools-Rock bands to Hip-Hop. Not that I've found many hip-hop artists I've liked since Run DMC, mind you. All genres of music are fairly awful, to be honest. The better artists tend to hover just outside of being tied down to any particular genre.

But is Hip-Hop dead? Um, no. Just sort of limp.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:20PM
subcultured at 4:24PM, May 19, 2007
(online)
hop hop died with the easter bunny
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:02PM
ozoneocean at 4:57PM, May 19, 2007
(online)
Here's my theory:
It's not dead, it's just that sellouts dominate the market and make it look bad. Why do they dominate? Because the music publishing industry controls the music mainstream- TV, popular radio stations, popular music shops, whatever. The means of distribution is their's.

That's the same with all music of course, but I think rap has been made more fake though. That came to me the other day when I was listening to Weird Al's mixed up medley that he made of a bunch of shit songs. He got to the one where he sings “Don't you wish your girlfriend was hot like me!” and I realised that some fat dumb “white” guy had probably written that song, and probably most of the others as well. This music is tailored for exactly what they think their audience wants to hear!

-again, nothing new in that, but I don't think that kind of crap has had as much dominance as it does now!

So yeah, of course you can still find good hip hop, and long as you are willing to look for it, because it's not too likely that it'll make it through the mainstream.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:27PM
ccs1989 at 6:36PM, May 19, 2007
(online)
I'm telling you guys, Jurassic 5 is great. They basically fix everything that's wrong with hip hop at the moment. Just hear some of their lyrics:

"Yo, sign of the times influence the way I rhyme, man
Pick up a nine and put down your picket sign, man
Your life is worth way more than just some diamonds
Without bling I still gleam
Glisten and shine, man

I'm sayin' through songs I write
My wrongs I right
If you wanna fight the power
Get the power to fight
Cuz some of us judge without knowing the man's inner
And some of us find fault in the sin and not the sinner

Influential ideas
Push pressure on my peers
That's why most of these brothers have short term careers
You appear to be what's happenin'
One a year you crackin'
One hitter quitter now you missin' in action
With no satisfaction from the streets
I only hear foolishness when you speak
I repeat, my predecessor's endeavor with pleasure
Lock and load, explode and come better
Hopin that generation X
Be more wicked with the flex
And not so quick to cash a check
And disrespect, talkin' guns and sex
Guns and death, but end up gettin' layed to rest
At your request
You're at the end of your line
Out of your mind
Idle women, weed and wine
And shells for your nine
The blind lead the blind
Time after time
When you rhyme for the shine“

-Jurassic 5, ”Sum of Us“.

Here's another good section which basically sums up what J5 is all about:
”Yo, my soul, bounce rock and roll
Tumble with the rhythm
Heat the mic when it's cold
I was told “Be Bold”
Whether platinum or gold
Keep it solid
Do the knowledge
Til' I reach my goal
My hunger-pain thunder
Lumberjack the fifth wonder
I never slumber cuz I keep it on the under
My post beat for people in the street
Ghetto M-U-S-I-C (We bring the heat)
That African soul
Clap black power impact
Who said ghetto rap was all about a dope sack?
A pimp slap or a big black gatt
Fuck around and get jacked
For your rhymes where I live at
Uh, I'm not a gangsta but I boogie wit beats
No gang affiliation in my lyrics or speech
But still I keep it straight hood-hop techniques
South Central Fundamentals J5 emcees
And it's on!“

-Jurassic 5, ”I Am Somebody".

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
hat at 6:39PM, May 19, 2007
(offline)
Rap is outselling any other music genre (in the U.S.), so it's far from dead.
I don't mind all the superficial talk, what with the guns, sex, chains, money etc. Infact I listen to it all the time, and I like it. Even if it gets ‘out of hand’, if it has a good beat/flow I'll listen to it. It's entertainment, treat it as such.

It's not like it's just rap with recycled content either, alot of rock says all the same things as well. It's all:
1. I broke up with my girlfriend
2. I'm depressed and/or my life is spiraling out of control and I'm going crazy
3. I'm a punk teenager and I'm rebelling against everything
or
4. Some rant about society
And as far as death metal goes, I'd rather listen to rap than a bunch of screaming anyday. And atleast rap doesn't have subliminal, reversed messages telling you to be emo and kill yourself :/

Also, ‘unique’ hip-hop isn't hard to find at all. If you say you can't find any, you're just not trying. You've gotta be willing to listen to it instead of going “omg he said bling next song”.

Some specific artists might come to mind when referring to a genre. When I say rap some people automatically think of Mike Jones, 50 Cent or Lil Wayne because they're the ones who are more mainstream and ‘in your face’ than others. It happens all the time too with people who aren't into rap as much as others. I'd ask people if they like rap and on some occasions theyd say no and immediately mention a certain popular rapper and their lyrics. While I listen to some of them myself, they don't make great candidates to represent what hip-hop is.

But like I said before, that above wouldn't happen if they weren't MTV slaves. A society of submission I say!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:45PM
maritalbliss at 10:44PM, May 19, 2007
(online)
marine
KomradeDave
“…and then it's time for the after party and we hang out and do lots of sexy with girls”

When did SNL stop sucking ass?

Every now and then, it's worth watchin'!

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:53PM
Crazy Dutchman at 2:16AM, May 20, 2007
(offline)
Hip-Hop ain't dead, it's just gotten more experimental, that's all

*I excuse that this clip is a bit violent, I haden't seen the video yet when I posted it, only heard the song*

RJD2 - Beyond the Beyond

And what about last year's MC Lars? :)

And the Dutch Hip-Hop scene has been more alive then ever the last few years.

Sure, it's not all good, but if you look good you can still find some good songs out there.

last edited on July 14, 2011 11:48AM
heccubus at 12:03PM, May 20, 2007
(offline)
Hip hop's not dead, it just deserves to die.
There's a brilliant underground scene, and a huge array of amazing artists operating within the genre, but the label of “rap” or “hip hop” is just a dirty word now because of artists like Nelly and 50 Cent who boil the whole thing down to an enormous ego wank with no artistic merit.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:47PM
AQua_ng at 12:57PM, May 20, 2007
(online)
I'm sorry, but I have lost nearly all respect for the genre due to stupid teenagers who decides to play it really loudly on their mobile phones at the back of a bus.

K.A.L.A-dan! Brigade Captain :D
K.A.L.A.-dan forums!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:56AM
ccs1989 at 1:06PM, May 20, 2007
(online)
Have you all listened to Jurassic 5 by now? Huh?

Crazy Dutchman at 1:39PM, May 20, 2007
(offline)
Well, I've already been farmiliar with Jurassic 5 for a couple of years. I rule! ^^

And aren't 50ct and Nelly totally retro by now? Kids who listen to that are idiots. One artist that I totally hate by now is Eminem. He takes himself too seriously nowadays. And it doesn't matter what he does, people will like it anyways. I liked him at first. He was funny, shitting al over anything, fun beats. Now he's gone more soft, but he tries to remain a bad-ass additude by trying to look like a gangstah. But he fails and now he's just become a parody of his own genre.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:48AM
ccs1989 at 1:40PM, May 20, 2007
(online)
Yeah gangster rap sucks. I just don't like what it promotes, with “pimp culture”, violence, drugs, sex, and so on. It's crap, and it tells kids to be that way.

Jurassic 5 is more like the Beatles in that they're for harmony, good music, and communicating with people through beats. There's none of that gang culture crap. I mean, hip hop is supposed to be for everyone, but the way the popularized stuff has become alienates too many people.

Phantom Penguin at 2:01PM, May 20, 2007
(offline)
I wouldn't call it dead. Its getting there though.
Remember a few years back when boy bands got really popular? Well so many of them got pumped out that the small amount of stuff with talent got washed away by thousands of of shitty groups.

And it was a fad, it has a lifespan and its about up.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:42PM
subcultured at 6:00PM, May 20, 2007
(online)
I remixed portman's rap

we need more rappers like this :)

J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:02PM
ledpusha at 10:18PM, May 21, 2007
(offline)
Corporate big wigs and music channels and mainstream radio killed it and growth in the music industry as for the same in comics and in every other industry. It is all about the money and not the art period.
If you want good hip hop from a new guy try Lupe Fiasco. You will like it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:30PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved