Debate and Discussion

Is it Time to Put the U.S. Military on an Economic Diet Play?
CharleyHorse at 8:14AM, Nov. 30, 2007
(offline)
Yesterday our president was howling about our evil senate's determination to include a non-binding call for a time table for withdrawal to be included with the nominal blank-check spending plan for the military.

I say blank check because while the military is gobbling up either one-quarter or one-third of the nation's annual budget this apparently DOES NOT include the two to three BILLION dollars per week that has gone into the Afghanistan and Iraq spendings for the last five or so years. That's about three billion per week, for about two hundred sixty weeks that's technically not even included in the military spending budget. The reality, therefore, is that our military is probably consuming closer to half our tax dollars per year.

Only those aren't our tax dollars, that three billion per week, that is. That money is BORROWED from other nations. That money has got to be paid back by us and - realistically - by our children and - likely by our grandchildren for decades to come. Already our economy IS being negatively affected by this insane borrowing frenzy of our president's because one of the largest creditors are the Communist Chinese – you know the ones that our rightwing fanatics hate, despise, and fear and ripped Clinton a new orifice for cozying up to during the 1990's but now effect NOT TO NOTICE as THEIR president sells our future into communist hands? Yeah, those Chinese. Well, they are now switching over to the Euro as their basis for international trade, which means that our dollars are being even more devalued, which means that we effectively now owe the Communist Chinese much, much more money, money that we are CONTINUING to borrow from them. Now how insane is that rightwing fiscal policy?

So, anyway, our worthless president was howling that we owed it to our military personnel to give them unlimited and unquestioning funding for now and for the foreseeable future. Amen! Y'all wave your little flags vigorously now you hear?

I got to thinking about this and began to wonder how sane it was to literally bankrupt our nation in order to fund two wars overseas when really the terrorists can not be defeated once and for all – something that all real experts agree upon, by the way. This is because they are a self-perpetuating movement based on ideology, and ideology cannot be defeated via warfare, only governments can be defeated through force of arms.

So we are locked into a perpetual borrowing and spending orgy and our military is gleefully sucking down the refreshing monetary Kool-aide without regard for the economic health and stability of this nation. Not that economics is - or should be - a concern of the military. That's the job of our political representatives. Only they are not doing their jobs, now are they?

So what is the fiscal limit of our ‘feel good’ and effectively ineffective War on Terror ? Do we, because the rightwing has become so very, very good at propaganda and jingoism techniques continue to allow them to emotionally blackmail our congress and senate into knee-jerk tossing vast sums of money down the toilet or do we finally, as a nation, put our collective feet down, grow up just a little bit, and put our military on a long term economic diet?

NOTE: For all of the bombast , I am quite aware that the average citizen is about as intelligent where national economics is concerned as the average pig is knowledgeable regarding nuclear physics. Therefore, NOTHING is going to be done about this unlimited borrowing and spending until we are effectively bankrupted as a nation. Remember that the bill must be paid. We can't just shrug it off and tell the creditor nations to go to hell, no matter how cherished a fantasy that is of our know nothing rightwingers.

All this means that I do not believe that we can stop this economic free fall and that I have no faith that we can avoid a massive recession or even a economic depression sometime not too far down the line . I pose this issue without hope. I'm just wondering if it really is as hopeless as I believe it to be.

last edited on July 14, 2011 11:40AM
bobhhh at 10:38AM, Nov. 30, 2007
(offline)
CharleyHorse
Yesterday our president was howling about our evil senate's determination to include a non-binding call for a time table for withdrawal to be included with the nominal blank-check spending plan for the military.

I say blank check because while the military is gobbling up either one-quarter or one-third of the nation's annual budget this apparently DOES NOT include the two to three BILLION dollars per week that has gone into the Afghanistan and Iraq spendings for the last five or so years. That's about three billion per week, for about two hundred sixty weeks that's technically not even included in the military spending budget. The reality, therefore, is that our military is probably consuming closer to half our tax dollars per year.

Only those aren't our tax dollars, that three billion per week, that is. That money is BORROWED from other nations. That money has got to be paid back by us and - realistically - by our children and - likely by our grandchildren for decades to come. Already our economy IS being negatively affected by this insane borrowing frenzy of our president's because one of the largest creditors are the Communist Chinese – you know the ones that our rightwing fanatics hate, despise, and fear and ripped Clinton a new orifice for cozying up to during the 1990's but now effect NOT TO NOTICE as THEIR president sells our future into communist hands? Yeah, those Chinese. Well, they are now switching over to the Euro as their basis for international trade, which means that our dollars are being even more devalued, which means that we effectively now owe the Communist Chinese much, much more money, money that we are CONTINUING to borrow from them. Now how insane is that rightwing fiscal policy?

So, anyway, our worthless president was howling that we owed it to our military personnel to give them unlimited and unquestioning funding for now and for the foreseeable future. Amen! Y'all wave your little flags vigorously now you hear?

I got to thinking about this and began to wonder how sane it was to literally bankrupt our nation in order to fund two wars overseas when really the terrorists can not be defeated once and for all – something that all real experts agree upon, by the way. This is because they are a self-perpetuating movement based on ideology, and ideology cannot be defeated via warfare, only governments can be defeated through force of arms.

So we are locked into a perpetual borrowing and spending orgy and our military is gleefully sucking down the refreshing monetary Kool-aide without regard for the economic health and stability of this nation. Not that economics is - or should be - a concern of the military. That's the job of our political representatives. Only they are not doing their jobs, now are they?

So what is the fiscal limit of our ‘feel good’ and effectively ineffective War on Terror ? Do we, because the rightwing has become so very, very good at propaganda and jingoism techniques continue to allow them to emotionally blackmail our congress and senate into knee-jerk tossing vast sums of money down the toilet or do we finally, as a nation, put our collective feet down, grow up just a little bit, and put our military on a long term economic diet?

NOTE: For all of the bombast , I am quite aware that the average citizen is about as intelligent where national economics is concerned as the average pig is knowledgeable regarding nuclear physics. Therefore, NOTHING is going to be done about this unlimited borrowing and spending until we are effectively bankrupted as a nation. Remember that the bill must be paid. We can't just shrug it off and tell the creditor nations to go to hell, no matter how cherished a fantasy that is of our know nothing rightwingers.

All this means that I do not believe that we can stop this economic free fall and that I have no faith that we can avoid a massive recession or even a economic depression sometime not too far down the line . I pose this issue without hope. I'm just wondering if it really is as hopeless as I believe it to be.

Well the huge multinational corporations that profit from his policies don't care. They can't steal our money fast enough. Think they care where it's coming from? They might spill their martinis laughing at how gullible we Americans are.
My name is Bob and I approved this signature.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:29AM
TnTComic at 10:44AM, Nov. 30, 2007
(offline)
Did you know Rove is blaming congress for pushing for war in ‘02 and making it political, which the White House opposed?

Yeah, they think we’re stupid alright.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:31PM
CharleyHorse at 10:56AM, Nov. 30, 2007
(offline)
Yeah bobhhh, I'm aware of that, and it's enough to make me want to puke. Corporate greed has risen to insane levels and these people are the ones who really do run our nation.

TnTComic, absolutely nothing that the Rove scum bag does can possibly surprise me. Unfortunately, it seems as if the democrats in congress fall all over themselves to play right into his hands.

I honestly do think that it is now too late for our nation to recover from this latest love affair of ours with the insane policies of hardright republicanism. I hope I'm wrong, but I think that the major corporate players now own too much of our political system for even popular ire to force a policy correction.
Mister Mxyzptlk at 8:10PM, Nov. 30, 2007
(offline)
CharleyHorse
I honestly do think that it is now too late for our nation to recover from this latest love affair of ours with the insane policies of hardright republicanism.

Yes, of course. Blame the right. Ignore the fact that Clinton had troops spread out over more real estate than Bush does. Ignore the fact that the front running Democrat presidential candidates supported BOTH the wars. Ignore the fact that the economic trends that are coming to fruition have been building over the last 100 years and have been continued by both sides of the aisle. Ignore the fact that it's the voters who have asked the government to somehow pay for everything they want but not tax them enough for it.

Yeah, it's all the fault of the right. Sure. How the hell do you breathe with your head so far up your ass?
My soul was removed to make room for all this sarcasm.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:04PM
CharleyHorse at 1:37PM, Dec. 2, 2007
(offline)
I consider the democrat leadership just as corrupt and incompetent. Only I figure that they are collectively small time crooks compared to the republican leadership. The democrat leaders seem to grasp the notion of leaving something aside for future thievery, thereby accidentally serving the needs of the average citizen to a greater or lesser extent. High office republican leaders, on the other hand, seem capable only of stealing everything they can get away with regardless of future consequences; there is utterly nothing small time about their greed.

TnTComic at 1:52PM, Dec. 2, 2007
(offline)
Mister Mxyzptlk
Yes, of course. Blame the right.

Uh, they're running the show. Who should we blame?

Mister Mxyzptlk
Ignore the fact that Clinton had troops spread out over more real estate than Bush does.

Classic, dude. It doesn't matter that we're still in a war that was fought over bullshit reasons… because Clinton had police actions in more than 1 country! What fools we are!

Mister Mxyzptlk
Ignore the fact that the front running Democrat presidential candidates supported BOTH the wars.

Well yeah, the fuckers on the Right called them traitors if they so much as thought about it before okaying it.

Mister Mxyzptlk
Ignore the fact that the economic trends that are coming to fruition have been building over the last 100 years and have been continued by both sides of the aisle.

More bullshit. You're honestly going to say that the way things are now were unavoidable because of a 100 years of policy? What a crock, dude.

Mister Mxyzptlk
Ignore the fact that it's the voters who have asked the government to somehow pay for everything they want but not tax them enough for it.

Again, more bullshit. Ask anybody you like, they'll say “less government, please”. You may like to think that Americans are looking for a handout but the fact of the matter is most people would rather make their own money and have the government leave them the fuck alone.

Mister Mxyzptlk
Yeah, it's all the fault of the right. Sure. How the hell do you breathe with your head so far up your ass?

How do you?

I realize it sucks. Your boys, the people you've backed for years, have fucked the country for the past 7 years and people are finally getting tired of it. It sucks to back a shitty horse. But really, swallow your bitter pill, its the Right's fault. You reap what you sew. Its nobody else's fault, so just grow up, take responsibility, apologize, and move on. The Right needs to learn how to be big boys.
cartoonprofessor at 5:52PM, Dec. 2, 2007
(online)
At the time of this post the cost of Iraq war is; $473 366 810 069

Of course this is instantly out of date…

For something really scary have a look at the counter here!
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:36AM
bobhhh at 8:08PM, Dec. 2, 2007
(offline)
Mister Mxyzptlk
Ignore the fact that Clinton had troops spread out over more real estate than Bush does.

Clinton tried to stop genocide in Bosnia, and the republicans chastised him for it every fucking day even though he won the battle and brought peace to the region.

What has dickwad managed to do in Afganistan and Iraq?
subcultured at 8:15PM, Dec. 2, 2007
(online)
warmongering bush or peaceful times with clinton….hmmmm
i hope the war ends before my friend gets out of bootcamp

oh yea…during 9/11 and was told we were under attack bush just sat like a dumbass in a school classroom. great leadership.
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:03PM
bobhhh at 8:27PM, Dec. 2, 2007
(offline)
subcultured

oh yea…during 9/11 and was told we were under attack bush just sat like a dumbass in a school classroom. great leadership.

Anything Clinton did sounds better than Bush.
cartoonprofessor at 8:55PM, Dec. 2, 2007
(online)
subcultured
That's cause he already knew… 9/11 was the most obvious hoax any governing power has pulled off… a ‘psy-ops’ through and through. Anyone with half a brain would know that av-gas could never melt steel (it combusts instantly and cannot maintain the temperatures necessary to melt steel) and cause a collapse that in itself was so obviously a controlled demolition.

And yet the public still buys this story??????

Like my old Dad used to say… common sense aint so common anymore.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:36AM
TnTComic at 4:57AM, Dec. 3, 2007
(offline)
cartoonprofessor
That's cause he already knew…

Don't you think that if they had planned it that he'd have a script, instead of sitting there not knowing what to do? Its only logical. If you're going to stage a tragedy, you make the king look competent.
horseboy at 9:06AM, Dec. 3, 2007
(offline)
cartoonprofessor
subcultured
That's cause he already knew… 9/11 was the most obvious hoax any governing power has pulled off… a ‘psy-ops’ through and through. Anyone with half a brain would know that av-gas could never melt steel (it combusts instantly and cannot maintain the temperatures necessary to melt steel) and cause a collapse that in itself was so obviously a controlled demolition.

And yet the public still buys this story??????

Like my old Dad used to say… common sense aint so common anymore.
I loled
There is no such word as “alot”. “A lot” is two words.
Voltaire
Never seek for happiness, it will merely allude the seeker. Never strive for knowledge, it is beyond man's scope. Never think, for in though lies all the ills of mankind. The wise man, like the rat, the crocodile, the fly, merely fulfills his natural function.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:50PM
CharleyHorse at 2:21PM, Dec. 3, 2007
(offline)
I personally don't think that our administration had anything to do with the destruction of the World Trade center complex, but I do think that in a general way Bush and company wanted something terrible to happen to the United States so that they could have an excuse to shift this nation back onto a permanent war footing economy for the financial benefit of their own kind and for their pocket books; and therefore they sort of stepped down security measures in general, boldly ignored the heavy ‘traffic’ chatter of the terrorist groups, and sent Bush on a one month's long vacation in hope that whatever might happen would happen during that time.

I figure the spell where he sat like a dunce after hearing about the attack was because Cheney had ordered him to do nothing until a certain short list of trusted people gave him his marching orders. The rest, as they say, is history. Aren't unfounded conspiracy theories fun?

Look, I don't know why Bush has proven to be the most incompetent president in the history of this nation considering he was touted to high heaven as a businessman's businessman, and a Vietnam era war hero in all but actuality. But I will note that every incident of utter incompetence as a policy decision maker and as a commander-in-chief has gone on to massively benefit his own socio-economic class, who – for the most part – are also his or his family's good buddies. Weird, eh?

But this thread is supposed to be about putting our hyper greedy military on an economic diet plan. So should we, despite not having permanently ensured that our two war conquests are permanently -er - conquested? Should we put our nearly three billion PER WEEK military on a monetary diet plan because that money doesn't even come from our taxes, from the other moneies - the billions upon billion upon billions of tax monies routinely earmarked for the military budget – but comes instead from monies borrowed from foreign nations?

Are we waving our little flags and having our feel good strikes against those big, bad, and apparently unconquerable TERRORISTS at the expense of ourselves and future generations to follow?

Are we spending the average citizen into the poor house while our wealthy and privileged class laughs at us all the way to the bank?

Well, yeah, I think so. How about you?
TnTComic at 4:46PM, Dec. 3, 2007
(offline)
CharleyHorse
Are we spending the average citizen into the poor house while our wealthy and privileged class laughs at us all the way to the bank?

Well, yeah, I think so. How about you?

Oui, bien sur.
Mister Mxyzptlk at 8:08PM, Dec. 3, 2007
(offline)
TnTComic
Uh, they're running the show. Who should we blame?

They are simply the latest morons sitting in the office following the same policies that have been going on since the 20's. Putting all the blame on them makes no more sense than blaming the latest driver of a poorly maintained car for it's breaking down…

TnTComic
Well yeah, the fuckers on the Right called them traitors if they so much as thought about it before okaying it.

So you want to elect spineless politicos who lack the courage to stand up for whats right? How will that be any better?

TnTComic
More bullshit. You're honestly going to say that the way things are now were unavoidable because of a 100 years of policy? What a crock, dude.

Tell me, what is inflation? Why does our economy have inflation?

TnTComic
Again, more bullshit. Ask anybody you like, they'll say “less government, please”.

They say it, but they don't vote for it. Bush has increased the size of government like every president before him for the last 100 years. Candidates who say they will slash government never get elected.

TnTComic
I realize it sucks. Your boys, the people you've backed for years, have fucked the country for the past 7 years and people are finally getting tired of it.

The people I've backed?

Oh, yeah… I forgot. Anyone who disagrees with a liberal HAS to be a card carrying member of the religious right.

Sorry, your partisanship once again blinds you. I haven't voted for a Republican since… um… er… Come to think of it I don't think I've ever voted for a Republican… Hmm.. well.. maybe for a state senate seat once… Hard to remember all the elections over the years.

Nope. I can't stand Bush any more than you do. Heck, he makes me pine for the days of the smarmy southern corruption of Clinton's era, something I didn't think ANYONE could ever do. However Clinton was as much a crook as Bush, he was just sneakier and better at it than the current boob in chief.
Mister Mxyzptlk at 8:34PM, Dec. 3, 2007
(offline)
CharleyHorse
but I do think that in a general way Bush and company wanted something terrible to happen to the United States so that they could have an excuse to shift this nation back onto a permanent war footing economy

It's the best kind of economic cocaine out there. It worked for FDR, made him into an icon. Had he not managed to get us into WWII his legacy would be right down there with Hoover.

CharleyHorse
I figure the spell where he sat like a dunce after hearing about the attack was because Cheney had ordered him to do nothing until a certain short list of trusted people gave him his marching orders.

I kinda wonder what people think he was supposed to do? Jump into a nearby phone booth and change into spandex? Fly off into the sky and battle the evil? There is a whole network of military people who dropped the ball that day too. Bush couldn't have done anything helpful at that point. Now mind you getting off his butt and leaving the room, or finishing the book would have been smart, but Bush doesn't have the political instincts that many previous presidents have had.
TitanOne at 9:34PM, Dec. 3, 2007
(offline)
TnTComic
Did you know Rove is blaming congress for pushing for war in ‘02 and making it political, which the White House opposed?

Yeah, they think we’re stupid alright.

Well, Rove is good at bending reality that way. Our current president is a former cheerleader who hid in the Texas Air National Guard while Kerry served in Vietnam and was subsequently wounded there. By the time the 2004 election rolled around, Kerry was a pansy and a girly man and a male combination of Jane Fonda and Rosie O'Donnell, while our president was a super macho hero. No one has ever questioned Bush's manhood, grit, or machismo. Even though he has no factual credibility of same…he's a spoiled rich boy from a New England family, wearing cowboy boots and pretending to be a tough Texan. And pretending to be Georgie Patton while our brave soldiers are dying.

Now, I did not vote for Kerry, and I honestly never would consider voting for any Democrat, but I did note all of the above as some serious public relations work, most likely emanating from Rove. Rove and the talk radio Right (so-called) are very good at inverting reality in the public eye.

They turned Rudy Guiliani into a macho 9-11 hero, too, and he's a crossdresser. Hillary would do well to look as feminine as Rudy does in drag.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:30PM
TitanOne at 9:40PM, Dec. 3, 2007
(offline)
subcultured

I hope the war ends, too, but neither Bill nor Hillary are peaceful.

Remember Clinton's Wag the Dog war in Serbia? Smaller scale than Iraq, but the same (lack of) principle.
dueeast at 9:47PM, Dec. 3, 2007
(online)
I never thought I'd find myself agreeing with Mister Mxyzptlk, but I do.

What's this world coming to???? lol!

Mister Mxyzptlk
CharleyHorse
but I do think that in a general way Bush and company wanted something terrible to happen to the United States so that they could have an excuse to shift this nation back onto a permanent war footing economy

It's the best kind of economic cocaine out there. It worked for FDR, made him into an icon. Had he not managed to get us into WWII his legacy would be right down there with Hoover.

CharleyHorse
I figure the spell where he sat like a dunce after hearing about the attack was because Cheney had ordered him to do nothing until a certain short list of trusted people gave him his marching orders.

I kinda wonder what people think he was supposed to do? Jump into a nearby phone booth and change into spandex? Fly off into the sky and battle the evil? There is a whole network of military people who dropped the ball that day too. Bush couldn't have done anything helpful at that point. Now mind you getting off his butt and leaving the room, or finishing the book would have been smart, but Bush doesn't have the political instincts that many previous presidents have had.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:17PM
TitanOne at 3:32AM, Dec. 4, 2007
(offline)
dueeast
I never thought I'd find myself agreeing with Mister Mxyzptlk, but I do.

What's this world coming to???? lol!

Unfortunately, I don't agree with the “positive” ideas from either party (if any of those exist). Dems and Repubs do not seem to have any good ideas at all, and haven't for a long time…and they have a multitude of bad ideas, most of which begin with trampling the constitution. When it comes to turning the screwdriver on all of us, or selling out the United States on a global scale, the two parties are remarkably similar.
TnTComic at 4:15AM, Dec. 4, 2007
(offline)
Mister Mxyzptlk
TnTComic
Again, more bullshit. Ask anybody you like, they'll say “less government, please”.

They say it, but they don't vote for it. Bush has increased the size of government like every president before him for the last 100 years. Candidates who say they will slash government never get elected.

Clinton cut spending drastically and was criticized heavily for it. And the people loved him for it. We didn't care that military bases were being shut down. We're sick of big government, and people like you are why its so hard to get us back to people like Clinton. Your cynicism is the cancer destroying my country.
Mister Mxyzptlk at 6:21AM, Dec. 4, 2007
(offline)
TnTComic
Your cynicism is the cancer destroying my country.

Wow, little old me is destroying your country? Cool. And to think I didn't even put that in my resume. “Destroyed a major superpower with cynicism” would look so good to a prospective employer. Can I use you as a reference?
TnTComic at 6:23AM, Dec. 4, 2007
(offline)
Mister Mxyzptlk
TnTComic
Your cynicism is the cancer destroying my country.

Wow, little old me is destroying your country? Cool. And to think I didn't even put that in my resume. “Destroyed a major superpower with cynicism” would look so good to a prospective employer. Can I use you as a reference?

Should've said “you're type of cynicism.”
CharleyHorse at 6:58AM, Dec. 4, 2007
(offline)
Mister Mxyzptlk

That's right about FDR. I authored a paper on the over-hyped president about fifteen years ago and and then again about four years ago and the second time very nearly had enough in the way of evidence to prove that he may indeed have deliberately weakened the defenses of the Pacific theater in order to sucker the Japanese into attacking a U.S. base or some U.S. property in the area, thus giving the nation an excuse and the psychological impetus to get into the war.

Couldn't quite prove it but did find documented proof that he tried to set up a small U.S. boat to ‘wander’ into the path of the Japanese fleet whereupon it was a safe bet that it would be destroyed. The vessel was, as I recall, to be commanded by a totally clueless and very low ranking U.S. officer and staffed by a native crew - yeah as if THAT wouldn't have set off alarm bells among conspiracy theorists of the day. It was simultaneously a clever and stupid plan.

Pearl Harbor worked out waaaay better for FDR, even though it did require the sacrifice of many military and civilian lives and the careers and reputations of Admiral Kimmel and General Short. But it was the omlet and the eggs thingy there, wasn't it? Something similar, I believe occurred with Bush - or rather, most probably with Cheney and his co-conspirators for the 2001 terrorist attack.

I'm cynical enough to believe in this probability while academician enough to be aware that I could be utterly wrong. So it goes.

As for Bush sitting like a mind-dead zombie during the early part of the attack phase, well that simply points out that psychologically he wasn't prepared for the reality of what he and Cheney schemed to have come about., meaning that he was indeed only a paper tiger where his Vietnam era action hero, fighter jet jockey propaganda was concerned.

Truth to tell, I'm sure that all the theoretical conspirators from Bush to Cheney and outwards were shocked both by the nature and the ferocity of the attack. They probably believed that if anything happened at all while they were deliberately standing down the nation's security net, it would be the mere destruction of a consummer packed shopping mall or maybe the eradication of an elementary school. Never in their wildest and fondest dreams would they have imaginged that they could actually lose the WTC building and have the Pentagon itself get nailed by a hearty whack. Since Bush had carefully been kept out of the White House during this time for his obscenely extended vacation, the Whimp-in-Chief himself was never in personal danger of course, but I wouldn't be surprised if he wet his shorts in that elementary school when the true nature of their planning bore its rancid fruit.

Then again . . . I could be wrong about all of this. Who knows?

Mister Mxyzptlk at 7:35AM, Dec. 4, 2007
(offline)
CharleyHorse
That's right about FDR.

Is it any wonder that Bush and Company wanted a good little war during their stint in the White House? Every president who has sat at the helm of this nation during war has been lauded as a great man by history. Even if he was considered an incompetent boob while he sat in office. The only way to be even more respected by history is to die while in office. When you combine the two you get instant icon status. Every evil and twisted thing done is ignored and the history books tag them as men of vision who sacrificed to save some element of civilization.

Lincoln gets credit for freeing the slaves when he could have cared less about them. His own writings reflect that if keeping slavery could have saved the union, that would have been cool with him. He even thought about shipping the blacks back to Africa to make things work out better. But since he got capped while in office we ignore that, we ignore his arrest warrant for a Supreme Court Justice, we ignore the draft riots he had to quell with military force, etc… All we do is pine on about how he ended slavery.
TnTComic at 7:42AM, Dec. 4, 2007
(offline)
Mister Mxyzptlk
CharleyHorse
That's right about FDR.

Is it any wonder that Bush and Company wanted a good little war during their stint in the White House? Every president who has sat at the helm of this nation during war has been lauded as a great man by history.

Tell that to Johnson. Or Nixon.

Mister Mxyzptlk
The only way to be even more respected by history is to die while in office.

Tell that to Harrison. Or Taylor. Or Harding.

Every 1st term president wants a 2nd term, and no sitting president has lost an election during a time of war. Start a war, get re-elected.
kyupol at 3:13PM, Dec. 4, 2007
(offline)
Is it Time to Put the U.S. Military on an Economic Diet Play?

Yes.

That way, you can turn the USA into a paradise. The living conditions of the people will be better and the crime rate will drop.

NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:25PM
CharleyHorse at 4:00PM, Dec. 4, 2007
(offline)
kyupol, The USA could have been turned into a near paradise anytime after the 1970s, but I suspect that neither the Democrats nor republican leadership wants anything like that. Each side has their own reasons for desiring economic and social inequality in this nation.

Someone
Yes. That way, you can turn the USA into a paradise. The living conditions of the people will be better and the crime rate will drop.

Economically, however, it's a matter of common sense that we would be better off as a nation if at last we put a tourniquets on the money hemorrhaging for military ventures and the insane borrowing of money to finance such ventures.

Already, we have such a disparity between the economic classes that we are rapidly approaching the situation that exists in Mexico, wherein there is an astoningly filthy rich and wholly isolated upper class, a vastly poorer but still immensely wealthy in comparison to the lower class, middle class that just loves the permanent status quo, and then a vast sea of impoverished peasants that have no realistic expectation of clawing their way into the middle class.

Personally I think that this situation is a classic wet dream of most business orientated and wealthy to moderately wealthy republicans. Under George Bush their little night time masturbation scenario is rapidly becoming more and more of a reality, and THIS is scary as hell.

So I am talking national survival here rather than a pipe dream of paradise on earth.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved