Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Is it worth coming back
Anonymous at 9:41AM, Jan. 4, 2006
(offline)
I am wondering if it's worth coming back because I changed to smack jeeves as some other drunk duck members did and it can do pretty much everything drunk duck can. But the difference is that it is all free there.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:53AM
SpANG at 10:04AM, Jan. 4, 2006
(online)
That's up to you.

There's no doubt in my mind that “smackjeeves” was modeled after Drunk Duck, at least some aspects of it. The admin there seems like a nice guy. There's no reason you couldn't just mirror.

I've been told that SJ isn't as “user-friendly” as the Duck, but I also hear complaints about DD not letting users do FTP (who knows, that may be available someday). Then there's the rating system, which SJ has their own version of.

I personally don't like the aestheticsof SJ. It LOOKS like a programmer designed the pages. It also looks like he does't use any of his artists' talent to help him design. Volte knows his limitations as a designer, and works with OTHER PEOPLE for a nicer, more friendly format.

But if your looking for “no come back please we'll give you ____”, I wouldn't hold your breath. :wink:

I think you'll find that Volte will be coming up with a lot of cool stuff. Stuff other people wouldn't even think of. No, Drunk Duck was not the first, but in my opinion, it was (and will be again) THE BEST.
Am I biased? Yep. Because DD is more than just a Comic hosting site. It's a COMMUNITY. You've all seen this. Even when we had NO DRUNK DUCK, fellow Ducks still came to the forums. Everyday. They all gave us hope and motivation to continue on, no matter what DD was to become. I've made some real friends here, too. And that's rare on the internet.
Drunk Duck has never asked for loyalty (you must make your comics exclusive to us alone, ala CG/Keenspot), yet people have become loyal to the Duck regardless.
That's cool, no matter how you slice it. I don't think you can find that everywhere. And I certainly did not see that kind of communitity feel anywhere else, even at at the SJ forums (although they all seem very nice).

DD service is fully functional at the free level, but there is also a Premuim level, which entitles you to certain “Perks”. Premium service is also hella cheap.

.: SpANG! :.
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:51PM
Anonymous at 10:19AM, Jan. 4, 2006
(offline)
Yeah thats the problem I like the community of drunk duck way better than smack jeeves thats why I am leaning more towards drunk duck.
Ronson at 10:56AM, Jan. 4, 2006
(online)
The Drunk Duck community is open to everyone. If you choose to have your comic here or if you choose not to, you are no less welcome to hang out here. That's pretty much the philosophy here.

We don't claim exclusivity with anyone, and the only things we have premium membership for are really extras that you don't need to use to run a comic site.

So, you ARE a member of the community until the day you leave these forums and never return…and even then, you're always welcome to come back.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:10PM
Enef at 10:58AM, Jan. 4, 2006
(offline)
Personally i will be using DD as a mirror, i am purchasing real hosting and will be getting a proper site, but DD is where i started and as i said DD will be a mirror for me.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:22PM
spambot at 11:30AM, Jan. 4, 2006
(offline)
So far I’ve used Drunk Duck as a mirror for all of my comic projects. Though I think we had more readers here than we did on the main site. :P
I’ve always been a fan of how user friendly it was and how well the community got along as compared to other webcomic communities. I always recommended it when people asked about comic hosting.

I'm also doing that other comic "Space Waffles".
We now have a podcast called The Random Pirate Comics Show!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:50PM
Adariel at 5:11PM, Jan. 4, 2006
(offline)
No, Drunk Duck was not the first, but in my opinion, it was (and will be again) THE BEST…
..Am I biased? Yep. Because DD is more than just a Comic hosting site. It's a COMMUNITY. You've all seen this. Even when we had NO DRUNK DUCK, fellow Ducks still came to the forums. Everyday. They all gave us hope and motivation to continue on, no matter what DD was to become..

that sir is the best thing i have ever read for today
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:45AM
McEwin at 5:17AM, Jan. 5, 2006
(offline)
SpANG!
that SJ isn't as “user-friendly” as the Duck.

What? Smack Jeeves has a great and developed community. More so than *these* forums have.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:56PM
Enef at 5:21AM, Jan. 5, 2006
(offline)
McEwin
SpANG!
that SJ isn't as “user-friendly” as the Duck.

What? Smack Jeeves has a great and developed community. More so than *these* forums have.

You ever visit the old DD forums?

and smackjeeves isn't as user friendly, its the truth, having had comics on both SJ and DD i know that this place is much better community wise.

It took at least 5 or 6 months to even get a forum on smackjeeves
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:22PM
Chameloncholic at 5:22AM, Jan. 5, 2006
(online)
It's entirely down to your own opinion as to which site is better, lets not get hasty here… for example I was going to open with a direct quote from your own website, McEwin, concerning the SM community… but that wouldn't be fair now would it.

— Scratch all that… I know his game now. Having read his opinions about DrunkDuck on the Smack Jeeves forums. Say hello to our newest …. well he objects to the term Troll…. how about just git! Hi McEwin!

You are ofcourse welcome to stay of course, I enjoy a good arguement. Oh, by the way, your signature on SM is out of date.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:39AM
McEwin at 5:38AM, Jan. 5, 2006
(offline)
Chameloncholic
It's entirely down to your own opinion as to which site is better, lets not get hasty here… for example I was going to open with a direct quote from your own website, McEwin, concerning the SM community… but that wouldn't be fair now would it.
Actually, a bunch of artists, including myself, left, for a temporary time, because several of the most respected artists and their comics left Smack Jeeves, they the came back.

Chameloncholic
You are ofcourse welcome to stay of course, I enjoy a good troll. Oh, by the way, your signature on SM is out of date.
Why is it, without knowing ANYTHING about me, you judge me to be a “troll”? Do you have a problem with someone using another service ASWELL as Drunk Duck?

Chameloncholic
Scratch all that… I know his game now. Having read his opinions about DrunkDuck on the Smack Jeeves forums. Say hello to our newest troll! Hi McEwin!
Troll? Nope. I made comments about people intentionally trying to turn Smack Jeeves *into* Drunk Duck, not comments about Drunk Duck itself.
Read full comments and posts before making statements, I intend to use Drunk Duck for one of my new comics.
Chameloncholic at 5:42AM, Jan. 5, 2006
(online)
Fixed your quote for you. Seems I missed something, the SM board has a 3 page cut off so whilst I did try and search for information I obviously didn't get the whole picture and for that atleast I apologize.
McEwin at 5:49AM, Jan. 5, 2006
(offline)
'Kay.
sandy at 4:10PM, Jan. 5, 2006
(online)
As I've said in Smack Jeeves, I really like both sites, so I'll be working with both of them. I'm gonna use DD as my mirror but SJ will also be my home. I guess it doesn't hurt to have two homes does it? All the better to meet people with.

To me both sites have a great community I have no complaints about either one of them. And truthfully both of these sites are at the top of my list. Volte 6 and Dan are wonderful admins and they're doing a great job at keeping the peace. So, my heart is with both Drunk Duck and Smack Jeeves, and that is how it'll stay.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:22PM
Volte6 at 4:53PM, Jan. 5, 2006
(online)
Amen.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:42PM
Anonymous at 8:41PM, Jan. 5, 2006
(offline)
I was with drunkduck for quite sometime… I loved the interface and how easy it was to customize your page without knowing much html.

However…

Smackjeeves is newer and seems to have a fresher more adventureus feeling to it, the community may not be the best yet but it has some awsome personalities.

I will be posting a webcomic on DD but I think smackjeeves will always be a number 1 in my book.

Please don't hate me! I still love you guys! and I'll be an active member of your community. ^_^ I just wanna have the best of both worlds ^^
Hawk at 9:42PM, Jan. 5, 2006
(online)
I've built up a sort of loyalty to the Drunk Duck. I fully understand that there can be other good places to host your comic, but I feel like this is where my friends are.

I agree with Spang in that the visuals of SmackJeeves just aren't quite as appealing. When I look at the main page, I'm not sure where I should be looking. That's such a minor deal that I would get used to that I don't think I could judge it based on that.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:45PM
LostPriestess at 2:15AM, Jan. 6, 2006
(offline)
The fall of DD was what finaly convinced me to discontinue the Alias Project. I was headed down the path of getting burned out and dredding drawing it.

However, I have built up a bit of loyalty for this place, and I'll still be hanging arround. And in hte event that I get another comic started, I"ll probobly be putting it up here.

~The artist formerly known as Karlinn Y.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:45PM
Ozoneocean at 4:49AM, Jan. 6, 2006
(online)
lostpriestess
The artist formerly known as Karlinn Y.
Why Karlin? Y?

^^

Hmm, the beta testing is going ok. Everything looks good and works nicely thanks to Volte. (I still can't believe I've got a DD comic page up! At lest temporarrily).
Smack Jeeves looks nasty.
But I'm trying to see past that. So many DD comics are up there.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:23PM
Anonymous at 11:54AM, Jan. 6, 2006
(offline)
ozoneocean
lostpriestess
Smack Jeeves looks nasty.

avoid trying to start a war.
Chameloncholic at 12:24PM, Jan. 6, 2006
(online)
He's allowed to state his opinion, you're allowed to disagree with it.

Any real nastiness will get locks.
Volte6 at 12:25PM, Jan. 6, 2006
(online)
I've posted this elsewhere but i'm gonna repost here and expand upon it since it seems more relevant here:

Obviously I want everyone back at DrunkDuck… given recent events, I can't expect that. My personal goal is to load it up full of so much good stuff that people will be compelled to make that decision

So, if you don't plan on coming back… that's fine. Stick around and maybe you'll change your mind.

The way I see it, I've just created almost a fully functional DrunkDuck ( in beta at the moment ) in less than a week. The individual features I have planned should be a cakewalk. Plus I have a few interesting ideas I can't wait to put into action…

And of course there's always the DrunkDuck book, which I'm hoping to get going full steam on again :) Given the disasterous turn of events, things went really bad with it this year… i still hope to release it. But of course every year we'll release a new one, featuring DrunkDuck members.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:42PM
SpANG at 3:29PM, Jan. 6, 2006
(online)
Volte6
…. things went really bad with it this year…

Nope. Things went really bad LAST year. This year is a whole new beginning for the Duck! :D

Viva la 2006!

.: SpANG! :.
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:51PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon