is obama the anti-christ?
Avalon comics at 2:51PM, May 7, 2009
(online)
I find it hilarious that this topic made 3 pages
Obama is a cool guy with impeccable taste in cigarettes
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:13AM
Product Placement at 3:06PM, May 7, 2009
(online)
As previously stated, literal bible interpretation is a not a good idea in my opinion. That being said, the bible is not to be hated. It's full of good stories which teach morals that's still relevant today. Naturally it also contain some outdated ones like stuff about resting on the seventh day which is illogical for our fast pace society. There's also stuff about slavery, stoning people and other wholesome activities but that's because the bible is a very old book that reflected viewpoints common, thousands of years ago. It's full of inconsistencies because it's a collection of books made by different authors. However, it's still important to us both historically and culturally and should be treated with respect.

Personally I'd say that interpreting the bible literally would be cause the person to not get the point. The ultimate goal is to promote peace and prosperity. Treat others as you'd want others to treat yourself. Live a good life with love and respect. Literal interpretation would tell you to hate those who are different (other faiths, homosexuals). It tells you to disregard science since many passages in it attempts to explain things that was beyond our understanding back then and today contradicts scientific data. You can't eat dairy and meat in the same meal (cheeseburgers are a sin). You can't spill you seed (condoms are forbidden thus adding to the overpopulation problem). So on and so on.
Avalon comics
I find it hilarious that this topic made 3 pages
Obama is a cool guy with impeccable taste in cigarettes
To be fair, this topic stopped revolving around Obama a long time ago.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:50PM
Ochitsukanai at 3:31PM, May 7, 2009
(online)
Polkster
We've had Isaac Newton and Tesla and Edison and Einstein and Jenner and Lister and Galileo and Kepler–we've had so many people do so many remarkable things, yet some abstruse reference to light possibly maybe, if you squint and stand upside down until the blood rushes to your head, and maybe if you sniff some whiteout, being the base structure of all things is proof of some sort of scientific marvel for some of you. Oh my wow, Bible invented quantum mechanics (that's not even what quantum mechanics is, but nevertheless…)! Hear that Faraday and Planck and Kirchoff and Boltzman and Born? The Bible already did all the work for you!
Ahaha, wonderful! You're the best~

It never fails, because the things the Bible appears to have gotten WRONG - what, like the pillars at the corners of the earth, implying a FLAT earth - are conveniently written off as “metaphor.”

Even Kyupol said it - SOME of the Bible shouldn't be taken literally (although apparently the whole thing's utterly factual). But why decide on that so arbitrarily? Because that choice MUST be arbitrary!

So the standards, I suppose…if it's true, the Bible was right, and anything false is metaphor! What a compelling argument. XD

Always, I wanna be with mew, and make believe with mew
and live in harmony harmony oh nyan
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:20PM
bravo1102 at 5:38PM, May 7, 2009
(online)
Croi Dhubh
^^^
Speculation over speculation ;)

Not really. The simplest explanation following the Evidence remember? If you find webbed footprints, some goose down and hear honking up ahead isn't it proper to speculate that you're following a goose? ;)

If a story reads like a condensed version of another and another part of the source mentions a connection to other culture; speculation? Nope, it's that goose finally appearing in your sights. :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:33AM
umbledijum at 3:52PM, May 8, 2009
(offline)
Product Placement
To be fair, this topic stopped revolving around Obama a long time ago.

perhaps it is better that way anyways. Not that it even matters, because any debate about religion is never going to change anyones mind about the matter ever. It's an endless circle.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:36PM
Orin J Master at 7:38PM, May 8, 2009
(online)
Ochitsukanai

It never fails, because the things the Bible appears to have gotten WRONG - what, like the pillars at the corners of the earth, implying a FLAT earth - are conveniently written off as “metaphor.”

Even Kyupol said it - SOME of the Bible shouldn't be taken literally (although apparently the whole thing's utterly factual). But why decide on that so arbitrarily? Because that choice MUST be arbitrary!

So the standards, I suppose…if it's true, the Bible was right, and anything false is metaphor! What a compelling argument. XD

the bible's argument is everything is right, we're just reading parts of it wrong therefore anything that doesn't happen that is the result of man's understanding being flawed rather than the book being wrong. they can't be wrong from their standpoint, which is what they want. a plausible excuse for delusion.

my argument is that the book was rather poorly compiled from the penny messiehs of their age, and if anything is right it's a result of even the most flawed man being right eventually. i can't be wrong from MY standpoint because either either i get to point and laugh, which is what i want. a plausible excuse for cheap amusement.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:22PM
Product Placement at 12:13AM, May 9, 2009
(online)
umbledijum
perhaps it is better that way anyways. Not that it even matters, because any debate about religion is never going to change anyones mind about the matter ever. It's an endless circle
Ah but the prospect of the possibility that someone might change his mind if you're a big enough of an asshole is what keeps us going back to the debate. :)
Orin J Master
the bible's argument is everything is right, we're just reading parts of it wrong therefore anything that doesn't happen that is the result of man's understanding being flawed rather than the book being wrong. they can't be wrong from their standpoint, which is what they want. a plausible excuse for delusion.
You know, that's funny. Anyone making that claim HAS to agree then that the bible is open for interpenetration. If you say that the bible speaks only the truth and we're just may be reading it wrong, then how can anyone takes stories like the Noah's flood or the Genesis seriously? What if they're open for interpretation and you're simply not getting it right?
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:50PM
jissai at 6:54PM, May 17, 2009
(offline)
kyupol
copied from a website:

What kind of animal has a tail that sways like a cedar?
Cedar tree:
http://images.google.ca/images?gbv=2&hl=en&sa=1&q=cedar+tree&aq=f&oq=

This is your behemoth

The bible has evidence of ancient high technology.

im sorry if someone already points this out to you (and im sorry that this comment is a few days late) but i had to point this out to you befor continuing to get caught up in the discussion; tree in that verse actually is referring to a penis. xD and believe it or not there is an animal that is still alive today that posseses such a penis, i will edit this once i find it's name again. off to google!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:09PM
Puff_Of_Smoke at 2:00PM, May 18, 2009
(offline)
Actually, He wasn't born anywhere near where ancient Rome was.

Of course, I'm just an unnamed christian, so I'm a raving lunatic.
I
I have a gun. It's really powerful. Especially against living things.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:56PM
ParkerFarker at 7:31PM, May 20, 2009
(online)
well first of all, I believe god does not exist therefore no-one is the anti-christ. and second of all Obama is the man and is the best thing to happen to America.

“We are in the stickiest situation since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun.” - Blackadder
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:38PM
Puff_Of_Smoke at 8:13AM, May 22, 2009
(offline)
Well, you might not believe in God but other people do. Namely, Catholics. They might add a verse to the Bible that legalizes the murder of heretics. Which makes us non-catholic christians look bad.

Thanks a lot >_>
I
Orin J Master at 7:00PM, May 23, 2009
(online)
Puff_Of_Smoke
Well, you might not believe in God but other people do. Namely, Catholics. They might add a verse to the Bible that legalizes the murder of heretics. Which makes us non-catholic christians look bad.

Thanks a lot >_>

wait, you're allowed to add passages onto your holy book? isn't that cheating or something?
Puff_Of_Smoke at 11:02AM, May 24, 2009
(offline)
Orin J Master
Puff_Of_Smoke

Thanks a lot >_>

wait, you're allowed to add passages onto your holy book? isn't that cheating or something?
The catholics do it all the time. It makes people think the rest of us do.
I
Nega Link at 11:20PM, June 19, 2009
(online)
Ochitsukanai
Polkster
We've had Isaac Newton and Tesla and Edison and Einstein and Jenner and Lister and Galileo and Kepler–we've had so many people do so many remarkable things, yet some abstruse reference to light possibly maybe, if you squint and stand upside down until the blood rushes to your head, and maybe if you sniff some whiteout, being the base structure of all things is proof of some sort of scientific marvel for some of you. Oh my wow, Bible invented quantum mechanics (that's not even what quantum mechanics is, but nevertheless…)! Hear that Faraday and Planck and Kirchoff and Boltzman and Born? The Bible already did all the work for you!

To be fair,although, as a christian, I belive the Bible was inspired by God and written by men who were within his will, the document itself was written in many, many languages and then translated from all of those languages into and elder form of modern english. It follows that, not only would men (even those inspired by God) writing during and after the fall of Rome have no concept of the shape of the Earth, but in translation, this concept could become even more garbled. You must bear in mind that ideas, taken out of context, can easily sound foolish. But that is the central conciet of Christian belief. “He has hidden these things from the wise and prudent, and revealed them unto babes.” God wants Faith, not understanding. To follow something you understand is easy, to put faith in an idea that may seem foolish to some in the hopes of one day being granted answers to the more difficult questions is far greater.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:10PM
Orin J Master at 4:26PM, June 20, 2009
(online)
Nega Link
To follow something you understand is easy, to put faith in an idea that may seem foolish to some in the hopes of one day being granted answers to the more difficult questions is far greater.

greater what? you've either left the last bit off, or you're making no sense mate.
Winterman at 11:24AM, July 12, 2009
(offline)
No. The anti-Christ is a fictional character used to scare the credulous. Barack Obama is a real person in the real world who doesn't use magic to get things done.

Largely, I imagine, because there's no such thing as magic.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:51PM
Hawk at 12:07PM, July 12, 2009
(online)
This thread's continued existence is embarrassing. And I plan to do something about it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved