Debate and Discussion

Is respect earned or granted?
CorruptComics at 2:42PM, March 25, 2007
(offline)
Should anyone just be given respect, regardless of who they are or what they believe?

or

Should respect be earned through intelligence, wisdom, actions, and convictions?
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:46AM
WingNut at 2:51PM, March 25, 2007
(offline)
Respect is earned. Authority however, is given, but respect, like trust, must be earned. Be it through your actions, your words, and the way you treat others.

-W
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:50PM
Black_Kitty at 3:11PM, March 25, 2007
(online)
I think everyone should be afforded a basic form of respect. Too many people these days excuse their rudeness and cruelty behind the idea that respect must be earned. As if in order for them to act like civilized beings towards other people, they have to first be appeased.

You could respect someone more if you got to know them better and found something that really impressed you. But you should not disrespect someone just because you didn't think they did something to warrant your attention.

If in doubt, think back to elementary school: treat others as you would like to be treated.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:24AM
Priest_Revan at 3:30PM, March 25, 2007
(offline)
Respect should be earned (or taken if that is the case).

People who don't deserve it shouldn't be granted it.
Updates Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday's (depends).

7/0

Offering Project Wonderful Ad space on my website.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:48PM
ozoneocean at 4:05PM, March 25, 2007
(online)
Give everyone a reasonable modicum of respect.
People can lose respect, or earn greater respect, but everyone should start out as worthwhile human beings in your eyes. In that way we stay members of a pleasant society without the constant need to prove ourselves to everyone we meet.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:26PM
MagickLorelai at 4:11PM, March 25, 2007
(online)
There are different levels of respect. Someone who's impressed you or “earned” your respect gets much more solid respect, as in, I'd refer to someone who's truly achieved something in life as someone in authority over me. That's one form of respect.

There's also something I'd like to call “common courtesy respect”, or something that we grant to everyone. Respect someone enough to treat them like an intelligent person on your level until they've proved themselves an IDIOT. Treat someone as you'd like to be treated, that sort of thing.

If someone wants a place in your HONOR, that's another thing from your RESPECT. You can have high respect for someone whom you've gotten to know and understand as a decent, respectable person. I disagree with the notion of condescending to someone until they prove “worthy” of your respect. That's just an excuse to make yourself feel better by putting down other people “not on your level”.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:50PM
Priceman at 8:04AM, March 27, 2007
(online)
As mentioned before, at least the basic respect should be given to most indiviuals. However, even that can be taken away if the person proves to be a @$$. In the end, how much does the respect of one count against a majority?

We live in a time where respect can be bought and paid for like any househould item. I remember seeing this show once; it was basically about some snobby rich kid and her birthday party. The chick was a total slut-worthy, and couldn't string together a complete sentence unless the subject was something completely irrelevent. However, everyone at the party loved her because they were able to have such a great time. What's funnier is that she invited alot of kids from her school ( a public school no less ); she spends at least 90% of her time dogging on the “lower class”, but no one really seemed to care at the party. She was able to buy their respect, at least for one night.

…..and now i've forgotten where i was going with this.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:47PM
Volte6 at 8:17AM, March 27, 2007
(online)
Respect should be earned… respect is a sense of admiration for someone, so I don't see how ANYBODY is entitled to my admiration.

That said, politeness is just good manners. Everybody should be polite to one another. The problem is it seems that the two have been mixed up so much that suddenly we substitute respect for politeness…
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:43PM
Kristen Gudsnuk at 8:39AM, April 2, 2007
(online)
I think everyone deserves respect. Why do people have to prove themselves to you? You can dislike someone, disagree with him or her, but you should always grant that person respect. Respect is a mixture of politeness and feeling that someone is worthy. Condescension is my biggest pet peeve, and I despise disrespectful people.
I mean, we're all equal, right? so doesn't that mean that people deserve a certain measure of respect??
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:22PM
Vagabond at 1:21PM, April 2, 2007
(online)
I see it as this. And if it's already been said in another form here, well… sorry.

Everyone starts out as a baseline of respect for me. This basically means that if you were crossing the street I was driving through, I would swerve out of the way to miss you. Or that if you want to say something, I won't stop you from saying it.

That's about where it stops. If you want me to listen to you, if you want me to do something for you, if you want to try and involve me in anything that your lil' heart desires, you need to earn my respect. You don't get a free pass “just because we're equals.” Because being equal to me means, “we're both human beings.” I may actually be better than you, or you may be better than me, but respect is what will cause either of us to recognize it. Not some idealistic sense of equality and that “everyone deserves respect.” Just respect.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:38PM
Phantom Penguin at 6:00PM, April 2, 2007
(offline)
Totally earned.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:42PM
kyupol at 8:46PM, April 2, 2007
(online)
Respect is the mark of being civilized.

However, not all people are civilized. And not all people (it is also debatable… the percentage of people who actually do) mature past the (mental) age of 12. And to these people, the world is still a fuckin schoolyard where they will throw shit on your face if you act like a wuss.

NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:25PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved