Debate and Discussion

Is there a problem with sprite comics?
BoomTheHedgehog at 3:42PM, April 20, 2007
(offline)
A lot of people from Sonic TH forums say you people are biased against sprite comics.

Discuss.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:32AM
nighthawk41 at 4:21PM, April 20, 2007
(online)
There are antispriters on DD, but if you're refering to the admins, than this topic is useless without proof.
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q258/nighthawk41/BodomBeachTerrorsig.png Edited by Admin.
Please make your sig either 250 x 100 or 468 x 60 pixels. Thankyou.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:16PM
subcultured at 4:28PM, April 20, 2007
(online)
for original sprite creators i have no problem with it, it's just another form of art.
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:02PM
Alexis at 4:35PM, April 20, 2007
(offline)
I know there are people who personally don't care for sprite comics, but if you look around, there are a lot of them here, and some of them are quite popular. There is no policy or administrator bias against them.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:49AM
Phantom Penguin at 6:05PM, April 20, 2007
(offline)
I'm not going to be nice here. I really do have something against them, or at least the ones i've read.

I've read tons of them when i'm bored on DD. And ALL of the ones i've read are poorly made, terrible writing, and look bad even for a sprite comic.

Until you prove me wrong that is.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:42PM
usedbooks at 6:43PM, April 20, 2007
(online)
Phantom Penguin
Until you prove me wrong that is.

It isn't on DD, but I love my brother's strip, and it's a sprite comic: http://therealn.com/
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:36PM
ccs1989 at 7:28PM, April 20, 2007
(online)
I like Zelda Comic, which is an off-DD sprite comic. I have yet to find another one that is at all entertaining.
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:38AM
silentkitty at 8:09PM, April 20, 2007
(offline)
I like them if they're done well, although the only one that I read with any regularity is 8-Bit Theater, because it's usually funny and creative. The problem I've found with a lot of sprite comics is that they all kind of start blending in together because so many of them just use the same sprites, or the same sprites, just colored a bit differently. In my opinion, in order to have a successful sprite comic, you need to do something really out of the norm and make yourself stand out from the crowd. There's just a huge flood of mediocre Sonic, Mega Man, Mario, and Pokemon comics that I honestly can hardly even tell most of them apart.

At the end of the day, though, it's just personal preference. Like they said, there's no administrative bias against them on this site, and there are plenty of fans, so post them if you like them and you'll probably find people who think likewise.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:37PM
nighthawk41 at 8:42PM, April 20, 2007
(online)
I miss the time I first started my comic and it was only one out of three megaman comics that I knew of…
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q258/nighthawk41/BodomBeachTerrorsig.png Edited by Admin.
Hijuda at 8:59PM, April 20, 2007
(offline)
I'll be honest. I don't like most sprite comics on DD. Most that I've read have the plot depth of a narrative by a fourth grader. All of them simply place video game characters in retarded situations, or just poorly retell the plot of the original game. Of course, some sprite comics are done well (8-Bit Theater!), but I find the vast majority piss-poor.

But those are just my thoughts, and there may be plenty of people who disagree with me.
It's a comic!

LOLOL LAMFAO
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:48PM
ozoneocean at 9:07PM, April 20, 2007
(online)
No! No more discussions on Sprite comics alright? They just attract sprite haters. And we've had a billions of these before. They go nowhere.

Spriters fine, sprite comics are fine too. But the creators tend to be young and many like to fight with each other. Also, there are some people who do other sorts of comics that resent sprite comics fro some reason, which they shouldn't.

OK, we'll let this run for about two pages and then it's getting locked either by the debate mods or me! OK?
As I said, these turn into people coming along and telling everyone else why they hate sprites. We don't need that.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:26PM
nighthawk41 at 10:13PM, April 20, 2007
(online)
Yea, I always try to put story and writing ahead of humor in my comic. And it does well for me. (I've had quite a few people say that they hate the megaman series, yet my comic is the only megaman comic they read).
Alexis at 10:53PM, April 20, 2007
(offline)
Yeah, the question here was “is DD biased against sprite comics,” not “are any of you guys biased against sprite comics.” So, I know there are people who dislike them, but this site on a whole is not biased. I agree that it's probably not worth it to fight about weather sprite comics are cool or not.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:49AM
Vagabond at 11:51PM, April 20, 2007
(online)
Well, I can at least be impressed that the stance of this is now “if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all” policy. If you had been here a year ago, spriters were described by a very vocal number in ways that come very close to the definition of “sub-human.” I mean, seriously; dubya tee eff. Thanks, anonymity of the internet. I like being told how horrible a person I am when the person ranting hasn't even met me.

There's no point to this discussion, really. You're going to have the people who have no opinion, the people who have a very strong anti-opinion, and the people who feel the need to defend their own comic as if it were the thing actually on topic here. No real point to all of that.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:38PM
mystery at 1:16AM, April 21, 2007
(offline)
ozoneocean
As I said, these turn into people coming along and telling everyone else why they hate sprites.
Also, many people hate them for no reason at all, they think they have a good reason to, but they really don't. I think though, if DD was against spriters, they wouldn't have it as a possible genre for people's comics. Or Maybe you're asking if the general ‘population’ of DD are anti-sprite, well, that would be a tough one to answer.
Some people think that making spite comics is easier than drawing them… well, that depends on how much effort you put into your drawings… There is no actual problem with sprite comics, but I would think they have a harder time gaining recognition because of the innate bias. I used to read 8-bit, it was funny, I liked it, it was sprite. It's the quality of your work that I think people care about, not the medium it's in.
Atleast, I hope.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:09PM
skoolmunkee at 3:37AM, April 21, 2007
(online)
BoomTheHedgehog
A lot of people from Sonic TH forums say you people are biased against sprite comics.

What the heck kind of way to start a discussion is that? You have 3 whole forum posts and you've been here 2 weeks. Do you think you could stick around a little while before you bring your biases from other forums here?

It's like saying, “My mom says you're a bad influence. Discuss.” :kitty:

Vagabond
Well, I can at least be impressed that the stance of this is now “if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all” policy.

It isn't about only having nice things to say, it's about being polite about what you do say. We've never put up with members abusing one another on the forums (or in comic comments, but those have to get reported to us or else we never know). However we've always supported the fact that people are allowed to have their own opinions. Just don't be abusive about sharing them. There was a problem a year ago with 4 specific members, and that's been cleared up for a while now, aside from occasional random incidents.

I know Ozone said 2 pages, but I'm locking this now. :) We have sprite debate threads here all the time, and a single new thing is never said. If I have anything against sprite comics it's that the discussions about them go in circles and are totally unproductive.
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:40PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved