Debate and Discussion

Is this the solution to sagging pants?
ozoneocean at 8:37AM, Sept. 20, 2007
(online)
Nope, it's the exact same issue. The issue is choice, if you read more in what I've said you'll see. Having no choice about wearing something is the same as having no choice about not being allowed to wear something, and in the West we have a lot of rules about things we can and can't wear, even in the US where transvestites are free in some places to go to work in their full get up there are still other places in the US where such things would get them, if not imprisoned, at least badly beaten and the persecutors unpunished. -not to mention a lot of other Western countries that are a lot stricter about what people are and are not allowed to wear in public. ;)

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:28PM
Ronson at 9:08AM, Sept. 22, 2007
(online)
mapaghimagsik
You do know that women must wear headscarves when at the Vatican?

Not when my wife and I were there (March, 2000). My wife might have had a hat on though…would that be the same thing?

Maybe only in audience with the Pope, or during masses?
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:10PM
DAJB at 5:29AM, Sept. 23, 2007
(online)
ozoneocean
Having no choice about wearing something is the same as having no choice about not being allowed to wear something …
Ummm … I think you misunderstood my point.

But that's okay because the above quote suggests we are actually thinking along similar lines anyway!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:03PM
RobertTidwell at 10:18PM, Sept. 24, 2007
(offline)
Masq
I've found an artical that seemed to be answering my prayers at first. I'll post the link here, and if there's some who can't see it I'll post the whole artical:
http://www.comcast.net/news/strange/index.jsp?cat=STRANGE&fn=/2007/09/16/764841.html

Several major cities are cracking down on sagging pants, a trend plaguing us for at least twenty years. In one small town in Louisiana, showing a bare bottom or your underwear from a low pants line will cost you $500 and six months in jail. Several major cities have similar laws, with the consequences being either/or a fine or community service.

As an educated California woman, I'm quite happy. This is a disgusting trend I'd like to see put to rest, as I've never found it attactive or hip. There was one young man I caught with a low pants line with “skidmarks” on his underwear, and there are some who wear tiny tiny pants for the sole reason of showing off their boxers/naked ass. How this got started and why it's still around is beyond me.

As for the opposite argument, they always play the race card. Since the trend is common in young, black males there are many who believe this law is racial steriotyping.

Alright, yes, I've seen it mostly in young black men, but I know plenty of white men who do it also. And then there's the girls who show off their pantylines to signal that they're hookers, and this is for pretty much all races. This is not a race thing, this is a fashion statement that deserves to die with the dodo.

I'm all for the fines/community service, but nothing so strict as jail. I'd like to hear from some if they're guilty of sagging pants why they do it and also if they think this is fair.

That is fucking rediculous. I think it is a violation of our rights. What ever happened to freedoms in this fucking country?

My pants sag because I'm poor and I often wear the same pants for years at a time, my weight fluctuates and when I'm losing weight my pants sag. Also, a lot of the clothing I wear is previously warn by my older, and larger, brother.

This is fucking stupid.
Iconoclast: One who attacks and seeks to overthrow traditional or popular ideas or institutions.

http://www.drunkduck.com/Love_Song_For_Polyhymnia/
http://www.drunkduck.com/Ogre/
http://www.drunkduck.com/The_Guilty_Will_be_Punished/
http://www.drunkduck.com/Labrynth/
email: RobertTidwell.Comics@gmail.com
Aim: R Tidwell Comics
http://www.myspace.com/Robert_Tidwell_Comics
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:08PM
bobhhh at 8:04PM, Sept. 26, 2007
(offline)
mapaghimagsik
I think mockery is more effective than legislation :D
Amen.

You want a parade with kids pants sagging low carrying signs saying
“my ass, my choice”, then legislate away!

You want it to stop, get some popstar to tell someone its geeky or uncool.
My name is Bob and I approved this signature.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:29AM
ozoneocean at 8:23PM, Sept. 26, 2007
(online)
bobhhh
get some popstar to tell someone its geeky or uncool.
Wait a sec… You mean it's not already? I can't think of anything much more geeky. It does stem from “wigger” culture afterall. ;)

Kilre at 11:41PM, Oct. 1, 2007
(online)
ozoneocean
bobhhh
get some popstar to tell someone its geeky or uncool.
Wait a sec… You mean it's not already? I can't think of anything much more geeky. It does stem from “wigger” culture afterall. ;)

“Wigger culture” had to have gotten it from somewhere, didn't it? Emulation, man, emulation. You sure you know where the trend started?

I'll be sagging my pants as low as I damn well please (held in place with a belt), but I'll be compensating with some longer shirts. Longer shirts means no crack–which I've never shown anyway.

Total bullshit decision, but I'm not surprised much by these kinds of actions. If anything, it's only following the trends the higher government sets.

And trends are typically uncool.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:15PM
ozoneocean at 1:04AM, Oct. 2, 2007
(online)
Where did they get it? Most likely rap culture, or some aspect of it. I remember there were some little kid rapper, really young little ones, who used to dress like that before it became a thing. And anther common theory is that it was about solidarity with “brothers' in jail who had their belts taken away from them.

But it was that lame ”wigger" group that made it big in the end (or saggy as the case may be), so, consider yourself emulating the worst of dork culture. ^_^
I don't mind at all. :)

KieranS at 2:53AM, Oct. 2, 2007
(offline)
Saggy pants is a problem for me. Because My pants are just a little too big and when I have my ipod in my pocket, it weighs my pants down. Especially when I play basketball outside.
Kilre at 9:14AM, Oct. 2, 2007
(online)
ozoneocean
Where did they get it? Most likely rap culture, or some aspect of it. I remember there were some little kid rapper, really young little ones, who used to dress like that before it became a thing. And anther common theory is that it was about solidarity with “brothers' in jail who had their belts taken away from them.

But it was that lame ”wigger" group that made it big in the end (or saggy as the case may be), so, consider yourself emulating the worst of dork culture. ^_^
I don't mind at all. :)

It started from them brothas in jail wit' no belt, yo. And lemme tell ya, going to a school where I was in the minority does things to your self image–I was one of the…10 who weren't black or asian. I got an excuse!

So you'll forgive me if I've never really considered myself a wigger :P

It was all them white boys who try too damn hard–the vocal minority. They damned the rest of us.
bobhhh at 2:14PM, Oct. 2, 2007
(offline)
DAJB
ozoneocean
But I wont hate them for it if when they're against traditional Muslim gear, they also have to be against traditional Western gear.
I don't think most people are against traditional Muslim gear. The argument is usually about whether it's right to make the wearing of it compulsory, even when the individual would rather not.

There are (at least!) two very different issues here.

Does anybody else see the skewed logic of a society that allows Nazis to march, but wants to make saggy pants illegal. Which one is more profane?

We are a nation of laws and government comes from the people, but proposed uses of the law like this reminds us how obtuse some people can be. It's like our arthritic grip on the second amendment, our insistence that everyone should be able to purchase assault rifles, and yet it is illegal to make a toy look like a gun. We can outlaw toy guns but not real ones.

D'oh!!!

unhappystar at 7:16AM, Oct. 3, 2007
(offline)
This is the most retarded thing I've heard in the past week.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:36PM
bobhhh at 2:26PM, Oct. 3, 2007
(offline)
Retarded, there's an intelligent comeback. Just what are you referring to?
unhappystar at 4:45PM, Oct. 3, 2007
(offline)
The fact that they would arrest somebody for sagging pants, then fine them for $500, then put them in for six months of jail.

I wasn't saying your discussion was retarded, but I apologize for not coming up with a response that was intelligent enough for you.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:36PM
bobhhh at 5:08PM, Oct. 3, 2007
(offline)
I'm glad you clarified that, and sorry for getting snitty.

oops.
Kristen Gudsnuk at 12:33PM, Oct. 4, 2007
(online)
I guess the real question at hand is, ‘what is appropriate to wear in public’? I'll just say that I would feel uncomfortable if there was a naked person walking down the street. I think a lot of us would be– it's a natural result of having the whole ‘nakedness is dirty’ ingrained into our consciousness. And there are other things that common courtesy usually keeps us from wearing in certain public settings– fetish gear, as someone mentioned before. the reason why is because being naked or wearing your favorite bondage outfit in public seems too… personal! it's like, you're showing complete strangers your vulnerable side!!
So now that we've established what seems unanimously inappropriate to wear in public, how about baggy jeans? seeing someone's boxers isn't exactly offensive to the eye– it's just cloth!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:22PM
pastel at 9:18PM, Oct. 7, 2007
(online)
Cthulhu

This is the real solution to “sagging pants”.

Downside to belts?

But anyway, laws regarding personal appearance are NOT good. But regarding this specific trend, it will definitely go away by the time these kids have to get jobs. If they wear saggy pants to job interviews and keep getting decline… they should get the message.
. K.A.L.A.-dan! Fujoshi! Mafia MASS MURDERER! Kitty and Pastel :D
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:40PM
ozoneocean at 2:15AM, Oct. 8, 2007
(online)
Good point Pastel. Trends do change so making a law against something like that is really an amazing waste of time.
…or should I say waist? :)

Btw, braces or suspenders are also another good method for keeping up your pants. As long as they're not too tight, in which case they're just a self inflicted wedgie.

bobhhh at 10:15AM, Oct. 15, 2007
(offline)
ozoneocean
Btw, braces or suspenders are also another good method for keeping up your pants. As long as they're not too tight, in which case they're just a self inflicted wedgie.

On the west coast they call them melvins
JoannaSlinky at 4:17PM, Oct. 16, 2007
(offline)
I think men showing a bit of ass in the street should be encouraged.

PS I'm not going to divulge my reason(s) for that comment!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:10PM
okamimako at 2:45PM, Oct. 18, 2007
(offline)
I personally think that if I'm going to have to look at some guy's naked butt, the rest of him might as well be naked.

But I do remember one time when my brother participated in the trend when it first started. My dad creeped up behind him and pulled his pants down. I didn't get to see him actually do it, but I do know that my brother doesn't wear sagging pants anymore.

But I don't think sagging pants are the least of our worries. We'll have this to worry about soon when it hits American markets.

(By the way, the naked comment applies here, too)
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:20PM
horseboy at 3:14PM, Oct. 18, 2007
(offline)
Kilre
It started from them brothas in jail wit' no belt, yo. And lemme tell ya, going to a school where I was in the minority does things to your self image–I was one of the…10 who weren't black or asian. I got an excuse!

So you'll forgive me if I've never really considered myself a wigger :P

It was all them white boys who try too damn hard–the vocal minority. They damned the rest of us.
I always heard that it was done “on the outside” because they wanted to look tough, like they had been in prison, but “on the inside” it was how the prison bitches advertised their availability. You point that out to them, and pants come up pretty quick.

Oh, and every time I've seen this come up, it's always been defeated by Unions, yes the Plumber's Union.
There is no such word as “alot”. “A lot” is two words.
Voltaire
Never seek for happiness, it will merely allude the seeker. Never strive for knowledge, it is beyond man's scope. Never think, for in though lies all the ills of mankind. The wise man, like the rat, the crocodile, the fly, merely fulfills his natural function.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:50PM
Az_the_Wox at 6:35PM, Oct. 18, 2007
(online)
Fines? Jailttime for saggy pants? Sure if your ass is hanging out that's indecent exposure, already a law… but… jeez. o.0;
And now, A Haiku:

Breasts are very nice, eh?
Soft mounds beneath her T-shirt,
Smile its cold today.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:15AM
Poke Alster at 10:18AM, Oct. 29, 2007
(offline)
Saggy pants is all part of child life, so no it isnt
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:46PM
bobhhh at 9:28AM, Oct. 30, 2007
(offline)
Actually having lived through the 70's and 80's, I believe the true punishment is having people, especially your kids, see pictures of you done up in embarrassing short live fads.

No fines can humiliate you like huge belt buckles, blonde afros, big hair and spandex pics.
Hawk at 10:11AM, Oct. 30, 2007
(online)
bobhhh
Actually having lived through the 70's and 80's, I believe the true punishment is having people, especially your kids, see pictures of you done up in embarrassing short live fads.

Best reply yet.

I actually take a little bit of pride in the fact that I've never been trendy. When people look at pictures of me they'll see jeans and a T-shirt, and I think those will be stilling around for a while.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
JoannaSlinky at 5:09PM, Oct. 30, 2007
(offline)
In answer to the original question, no solution required.

i like seeing men's ass - i hereby call for a law that encourages this trend.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:10PM
Kilre at 5:10PM, Oct. 30, 2007
(online)
horseboy
I always heard that it was done “on the outside” because they wanted to look tough, like they had been in prison, but “on the inside” it was how the prison bitches advertised their availability. You point that out to them, and pants come up pretty quick.

Oh, and every time I've seen this come up, it's always been defeated by Unions, yes the Plumber's Union.

Damn plumbers. Crack kills.

You can point out the “prison bitch” aspect of the sagging pants everywhere, but I don't think it'd make much difference. Inside and outside prison seems to be different cultures. We, here, see sagging pants one way, and those “on the inside” see it another way.

They'll likely just let the pants continue to sag, if not for lack of belt–that's ma muffin!–than for general apathy. They're not goin' to jail, so it doesn't apply to them (this is the justification).
Kilre at 5:13PM, Oct. 30, 2007
(online)
JoannaSlinky
In answer to the original question, no solution required.

i like seeing men's ass - i hereby call for a law that encourages this trend.

It's not ass in most cases. You're gettin' an eye full of boxers and briefs, sometimes with some wicked skids.

That's their personal grooming style, though, and they gonna learn to wear non-saggin pants to interviews like I did.
heymelby at 10:11AM, Oct. 31, 2007
(online)
When i see someone with saggy pants, or most fashion trends I just write them off as stupid or brainwashed, most kids do it and have no fraking clue as to where the “trend” came from, it's prison fashion! wearing your pants low means you want gay sex in prison! one pant leg rolled, which i've seen, means your some dudes bitch. ugh! whats even more idiotic is that some claim a law against it is racist, oh grow up! It's racist to claim prison fashion as black in the first place. I'm all for civil ordinances that protect people from their own ignorant-follow the leader- mentality.

Plus the terms “rights” and “freedom” gets used alot in cases like this, Freedom is NOT “anarchy rule” and there is no “Right” on the books that covers dressing like a retard. We live in a self-governed republic. If the people pass a law against something they don't like, Tough crap! it's law, if you don't like it build a marjority and have it repealed, or move!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:48PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved