Debate and Discussion

Isaac Hayes vs Trey and Matt
hpkomic at 10:25AM, March 15, 2006
(online)
So, it seems Isaac Hayes, the voice of Chef on South Park has left the show claiming that Trey Parker and Matt Stone's episode about Scientology crossed the line of satire and was an all out attack.

Is it just me, but does this strike anyone else as being hypocritical? I thought South Park was an equal opportunity offender.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:50PM
SpANG at 10:34AM, March 15, 2006
(online)
Well, sure it's hypocrytical. Hayes never complained about when they made fun of Christianity or Judaism.

I suspect he is getting pressure from his fellow Scientologists.

.: SpANG! :.
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:51PM
hpkomic at 11:05AM, March 15, 2006
(online)
I've heard that too. I've never really dealt with any scientologists, so I'm not sure if I can believe that though. Can there really be an organization that nuts?
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:50PM
Inkmonkey at 12:21PM, March 15, 2006
(offline)
Has anyone else noticed a complete lack of non-celebrity scientologists? I sure haven't met one yet.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:59PM
Ronson at 12:24PM, March 15, 2006
(online)
I have yet to find an allegedly religious person think that it's only wrong if they pick on their personal religion. After all, don't they believe that everyone else is basically wasting their time?

It reminds me of the Penn & Teller Bullsh*t episode where the woman trying to stop profanity suggested people yell “Buddha” instead of “Jesus Christ” when they're stressed.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:10PM
ccs1989 at 12:26PM, March 15, 2006
(online)
hpkomic
I've heard that too. I've never really dealt with any scientologists, so I'm not sure if I can believe that though. Can there really be an organization that nuts?

Yes.
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:37AM
SpANG at 12:42PM, March 15, 2006
(online)
hpkomic
That's a loaded question. :wink:
There were before, there are now, there will be after.

Religion brings out the worst in some people. Unfortunately, they are usually the ones in charge.

PS- I saw the episode in question. It was pretty funny. But it was more funny when they “outed” Tom Cruise. :-D

Whiskers at 2:39PM, March 15, 2006
(offline)
I wish to second that! Tom Cruise and John Travolta are now BOTH in the closet!
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:48PM
Terminal at 11:22PM, March 20, 2006
(online)
The irony is on both sides. Both Isaac and Matt and Trey.

.: Myxomatosis :.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:09PM
Terminal at 7:44PM, March 22, 2006
(online)
This quote from the South Park episode “The Return of The Chef!” sums up what Matt Stone and Trey Parker felt about Isaac Hayes leaving. They used sound clips from previous episodes to make his voice.

south park
We shouldn't be mad at Chef, we should be mad at that little fruity club that changed him.

Of course, the “fruity little club” in reference to was The Super Adventure Club. Which goes around beliving this story involving molesting children to live forever, which of course is a take on Scientology. They brainwashed Chef. The boys turn him back, the club, angered. Takes Chef and tries to change him to the way that they believe, all ending up to a final fight at the bridge. He eventually dies at the end.

Comes back as a sorta Darth Vader-Type character, though.

mykill at 7:55PM, March 22, 2006
(online)
It's funny, South Park taking on Scientology is exactly what puts it in the major legaue of religions - with Jesus and Judaism!

I have met non celebrity scientologists with booths in New York's subway stations - offerring ‘stress tests’. They creepy.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:09PM
marine at 8:37PM, March 22, 2006
(offline)
Tonights episode was a rebuttle. It used re-hashes of clips of Chef talking, and it began with a “flashback” of Chef leaving south park for three months to join the super adventure club. Chef came back as a pedo, and as it turned out the “super adventure club” was a front for a bunch of child molestors. Even going as far as to have a saying of their claims, much like in the scientology episode, with the phrase “super adventure club members actually believe this” which added even more salt into the wound. Chef eventually dies, and released his bowels. Truely another genius episode.

But this situation begs the question of, how far is to far? As someone who is usually walking the line, I often end up with that inner debate. I can see why they would do that kind of episode. Issac Hayes has been with them since season one, and whenever he talked about South Park he was generally in favor about it. Its terribly hypocritcal, but welcome to America. That should be on a T-shirt. America, the most hypocritical nation ever.

My 2 cents. Also guys, Scientologists really believe in Xenu the alien super overlord. Look it up.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:51PM
Terminal at 9:05PM, March 22, 2006
(online)
Tater Salad
Jesus H Christ, I didn't see that episode (surprise surprise) but how long does it take for them to churn out one of these shitpiles?

A normal episode takes about a week to make.

One time, an episode's production time clocked in at 3 days, writing to animation.

SpANG at 6:34AM, March 23, 2006
(online)
It was pretty damn funny! :lol:

I liked Kyle's ulogy for Chef, he said “We should remember Chef for what he used to be, not someone that was brainwashed by some fruity club!”

(I'm paraphrasing, but you get the gyst)

Sam_Charette at 6:03PM, March 23, 2006
(offline)
Ronson
It reminds me of the Penn & Teller Bullsh*t episode where the woman trying to stop profanity suggested people yell “Buddha” instead of “Jesus Christ” when they're stressed.

I absolutely love that show. I've recently purchased season two, and watched that very eposide tonight, and I think you've hit the nail on the head with that comparison. People are fine with, and participate in, this kind of “attack” on other faiths, and then take supreme offense when it is directed at them.

Hypocrisy, plain and symple.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:22PM
Sam_Charette at 6:38PM, March 23, 2006
(offline)
Tater Salad
One of my favorites, on Google Vids for people who don't wanna buy the DVDs (who knows why not).

ELVIS DIDN'T DO NO DRUGS!

*laughs* I love that one, too :D
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:22PM
jalford at 3:31AM, April 27, 2006
(online)
I heard that since Tom Cruise was all up in Comedy Central's ass about how they poked at scientology that it got the episode pulled from being rerunned. Now, a bunch of South Park fans are threatening to boycott Mission Impossible III when the movie comes out this summer to get back at Cruise.

Like I was going to go see that over-hyped heep of shit anyway!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:06PM
ozoneocean at 7:05AM, April 29, 2006
(online)
Ah, it's a storm in a tea-cup. As for Matt and Trey, they get on my tits sometimes. They're really exactly the same as Isaac. They'll attack almost anything… And there's the rub, as Hamlet says. The whole South Park world is built out of their own little matchsticks of prejudices and preferences –as in any creative work- the trouble is that they pretend that anything is fair game, when it’s not really.

I started to see that back when they were attacking everyone’s whipping boy for bland pop, Phil Collins, and yet the amount of times they had Elton John guest starring as himself and them toadying up to him…. A guy who’s totally reinvented “selling out” and bland pop into a finely edged light sabre of soul destroying nuclear Disney capability! Oh England’s rose…

The only thing that was funny about the Scientologist episode was Travolta and Cruise inside the cupboard together, Oh, and Stan or Kyle or whoever being made grand poo-bar of the Scientologists. The rest was just flat out hate, not even slightly funny. And I liked it, because I think Scientology is insane, but it wasn’t even as clever as what they usually do (which is never very clever anyway).

So Isaac has a perfect right to be as bitchy, prejudiced, self righteous, and hypocritical as his bosses. In fact I think it’s wonderful that he is.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:23PM
AQua_ng at 1:06PM, May 3, 2006
(online)
Tater Salad
I just suffered through this shit episode of South Park since someone told me it had redeeming values. It turned out they spent half an hour bashing Family Guy for the same reasons over and over. I guess they're jealous that it's getting more viewers and is just funnier.

Seriously, that confirmed my belief that the creators are just immature idiots. It's the TV equivalent of spending an entire comic to flame one person.

PoisonedV?

K.A.L.A-dan! Brigade Captain :D
K.A.L.A.-dan forums!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:54AM
Berlin Poe at 7:36PM, May 16, 2006
(offline)
So, you might have all heard, briefly at best, that Haye's manager has spoken out saying that he quit the show becuase of a stroke he just had.

I dunno how correct this snipet is, being that I heard the blip once and never again.

This being said, I think it's a funny attempt to make Trey and Matt look like vicious assholes and incesitive not to a bullshit, retard filler religion, who make's intelegent design look like a well thought out and seemless scientific world view, religion but they want them to look like handicapped persons haters.

Which is untrue, I mean look how many Timmy and Jimmy themed episodes there are.

Anyways, point it, Trey and Matt are mad, brilliant, artists and have proven that like Penn and Teller's Bullshit, they are not in anyone's fucking pocket.

Peace, yo.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:20AM
Berlin Poe at 7:39PM, May 16, 2006
(offline)
Tater Salad
I just suffered through this shit episode of South Park since someone told me it had redeeming values. It turned out they spent half an hour bashing Family Guy for the same reasons over and over. I guess they're jealous that it's getting more viewers and is just funnier.

Seriously, that confirmed my belief that the creators are just immature idiots. It's the TV equivalent of spending an entire comic to flame one person.

Dude.

Family Guy does use a retarded episode format.

And it sucks.

Kevin Smith thinks so too. Kevin Smith would never make a bad film!

EVER!!!

ThereisnoJerseyGirl.ThereisnoJersyGirl.ThereisnoJerseyGirl.ThereisnoJersyGirl.ThereisnoJerseyGirl.ThereisnoJersyGirl.ThereisnoJerseyGirl.ThereisnoJersyGirl.
Berlin Poe at 7:47PM, May 16, 2006
(offline)
ozoneocean
Ah, it's a storm in a tea-cup. As for Matt and Trey, they get on my tits sometimes. They're really exactly the same as Isaac. They'll attack almost anything… And there's the rub, as Hamlet says. The whole South Park world is built out of their own little matchsticks of prejudices and preferences –as in any creative work- the trouble is that they pretend that anything is fair game, when it’s not really.

I started to see that back when they were attacking everyone’s whipping boy for bland pop, Phil Collins, and yet the amount of times they had Elton John guest starring as himself and them toadying up to him…. A guy who’s totally reinvented “selling out” and bland pop into a finely edged light sabre of soul destroying nuclear Disney capability! Oh England’s rose…

The only thing that was funny about the Scientologist episode was Travolta and Cruise inside the cupboard together, Oh, and Stan or Kyle or whoever being made grand poo-bar of the Scientologists. The rest was just flat out hate, not even slightly funny. And I liked it, because I think Scientology is insane, but it wasn’t even as clever as what they usually do (which is never very clever anyway).

So Isaac has a perfect right to be as bitchy, prejudiced, self righteous, and hypocritical as his bosses. In fact I think it’s wonderful that he is.

I dunno how I feel about this statement, because it seems so smart, so well written.

Trey and Matt aren't saying bland rock sucks, they are saying Phil Collins sucks. Elton John arguably, doesn't suck. And how much more has Sir John sold out compared to say, Paul McCartney, The Rolling Stones, or anyone still fucking alive who was famous in the 1960/s and 70's?

And it's not flat out hate, Scientologists have a dumb religion, so does the Mormon's. They blasted the Mormon's in the same exact way, by showing what the religion is and at the end of the episode the pointed out that they were big assholes for hating on a group of people for having a differant religion.

My point is, they have previously stated hate the religion not the religious person. That said, they did nothing differantly in the scientology episode, but for one thing: claim that if you make fun of them they will sue you.

Which they have been known to do!

The point of the episode was Scientology is stupid and if tyou make fun of it they will sue you! It's not hate if it's point a spot light on the truth. Like Penn and Teller's Bullshit.

I'm not trying to piss with anyone, just that phrase “flat out hate” is a little more harsh than is correct.
Terminal at 11:12PM, May 16, 2006
(online)
I still think the irony is on both sides if anyone cares.

jude_boi at 6:35AM, May 17, 2006
(offline)
He was beign such a damn hypocrite. He cashed checks for bashing Christianity, Judaism, Mormons, etc. So when it hit's home, it's a little different?

I laughed when they bashed institutional Christianity, because I can laugh at myself and my own faith. Hayes should've done the same.

It wasn't a bash on the whole congregation of the Scientologist “religion”, just some of it's famous memebers…and let's face it, it's equally ridiculous beliefs were being satired. But he could've laughed it off and kept on going. Until they start badmouthing them as “evil” or “inferior” that's when it crosses the line.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:11PM
Berlin Poe at 12:44PM, May 17, 2006
(offline)
Tater Salad
Go jack off over those cardboard cutouts more and let us continue talking about how they're just mean spirited bastards.

Ron White sucks.

Oh and I'll let you know when I'm jacking off on something, pal.
ozoneocean at 2:15PM, May 22, 2006
(online)
Berlin Poe
I dunno how I feel about this statement, because it seems so smart, so well written.
Why thank you :-D
But despite your rebuttal, I can’t improve on what I said. It’s definitive.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:23PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved